InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ More Apologies ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================


Chapter 16 – More Apologies





Once Kagome was up and about again, she said that she wanted to go back home for a few days, though she didn’t use the word home, saying instead, “I think I should go see Mama, and rest at the shrine for a little while.” She truly thought of the feudal era as her home now, but where her mother lived would always be another home of sorts.

Inuyasha reluctantly agreed, not wishing to be separated from her, but understanding her desire to be with her mother, all the same. He only advised that maybe she shouldn’t let her family know how close to death she’d just come. Kagome agreed.

As soon as she disappeared in the blue light of time, the strangest disconnected feeling washed over Inuyasha, and he quickly realized that this was the first time she’d ever gone back home since they’d performed the bonding.

I feel like half of my soul is missing… he whined inwardly, I always feel like that when Kagome is gone…. butit’s even worse now

Doing his best to ignore it, he promptly decided to keep himself occupied with building their hut. He hadn’t even told Kagome that the villagers had given them a spot of land yet, so when she got back, she’d be in for a big surprise.

``````````````````

Since he didn’t have any money to his name, Inuyasha took to cutting down his own trees, from his own forest, for the building materials, except…there were some things he’d simply need to buy. Miroku got many of the shop keeps to agree to barter, and Inuyasha ended up paying for the supplies he needed with game. He took to hunting for a few hours, then he’d skin and clean his kills, trading with both the meat, as well as the pelts, to different people, for different things. Miroku and Sango both volunteered their services when it came to actually building the hut, and they were mildly surprised, but overjoyed, when a couple of the younger village men agreed to help, as well.

It turned out that no one in the village was opposed to the idea of Inuyasha and Kagome being mated, having come to respect and honor them both, and gradually, mild talk regarding their relationship became rather public.

“We should build the hut large enough for children.” he said, earning nods of agreement from those present.

“Should we construct a bassinet?” Miroku asked, teasingly.

“Keh, not yet we shouldn’t.” he grumbled, before getting a marvelous notion for retaliation. Unfortunately, it would be at Sango’s expense.

“Since my relationship with Kagome seems to be all nice and cozy for camp fire discussion, how about we discuss your relationship next?” he asked, while gesturing his hand back and forth between the two of them.

“Uhhhh…” Sango blushed immediately, and attempted to go find something to do, somewhere else…. Only to be stilled when one of the village men remarked…

“Yes, when are you two going to get married?”

Sango choked at that, and looked back towards the others while mumbling “Married?” but Miroku didn’t help matters, when he decided to go for it, knowing what Inuyasha was doing.

“My dear Sango…” he began, taking her hand. “I hadn’t spoken of this before, because of my curse, that could consume me at any moment.” he started, seeing Sango’s eyes grow wide. “But…after we defeat Naraku, and my curse is lifted, it would make my heart soar, if you would stay by my side, as my wife, and bare my children.”

Well, everyone figured that the ‘bare my children’ remark would be in there somewhere, but everyone also heard quite plainly, that he’d uttered the word ‘wife’ first. All Sango could do was cry, but when he started to let go of her hand, fearing he had upset her, she tightened her grip, and pulled him into a fierce kiss.

Inuyasha smiled, figuring he’d killed two birds with one stone. Besides the obvious achievement, he found he was also, personally, no longer the talk of the town, as everyone immediately began whispering about the monk and taijiya, instead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kagome decided not to stay in the future for very long, especially since the instant she’d touched down in her time, she’d been plagued with the strangest feeling of incompletion. She had pretty much come to the conclusion that it was because Inuyasha wasn’t with her, and the two of them were bonded. She tried to deal with it as best she could, and she found she could function fairly normally, for the most part, except that nagging feeling that something was missing would simply never leave her. Eventually, after two days, she simply couldn’t stand it any more, and told her mom she was heading back. In the back of her mind, she wondered how she was going to be able to handle going to school, once her last year started in September. But she’d cross that bridge when she came to it, she decided.

Climbing up and out of the well, she instantly felt 100% better, and was pretty sure, though Inuyasha didn’t seem to be here at the moment, that he would sense the fact that she’d returned, if he’d felt the same soul-separation that she had.

She started to head down that familiar path towards Kaede’s hut, when she suddenly sensed the approach of two jewel shards. Not even bothering to hone in her senses to identify the aura of the shards, since she could smell who it was, she groaned in frustration, and tried to suppress the mild wave of fear that washed over her.

Suddenly wishing her youkai blood made her strong enough that she could leap up into the trees and run away, like Inuyasha could, she instead stood her ground, and waited for the whirlwind to dissipate, revealing the wolf youkai who had attempted to kidnap her last spring.

“Kagome…uh…how are you?” he asked, looking around nervously.

Kagome smirked at his nervous stature. He’d obviously developed a fear for her mate, which she decided was a good thing.

“I’m fine, Kouga.” she ground out, making sure to keep her voice as neutral as possible as she bluntly asked “What do you want?”

“I…” Sighed deeply, he shifted his feet, unable to meet her gaze. “I wanted to apologize.” he confessed after a moment.

Kagome relaxed her posture a little, once she realized that Kouga had in fact returned to normal, now that springtime was over, and his body was no longer driven by the animalistic need to mate. Besides, she may as well let him say what he came to say, since he only had about a minute to do it in, before Inuyasha got there, as she could already sense his rapid approach thanks to their soul-bond to one another.

“Go ahead.” she finally said out loud, in response to his statement that he’d come to apologize.

Looking up in mild shock at her tone of voice, he quickly lowered his head again, figuring that he deserved the cold treatment she was giving him.

“I’m sorry…” he said after a moment… “I should have been able to control myself better than that.”

“It’s understandable, I suppose.” she confessed, adding… “I understand, I mean about mating season and all that.”

He raised his eyes to again meet hers, his pale blue orbs begging for forgiveness.

“But you have to understand…” she added quickly, before he dared to get the wrong idea. “Inuyasha is my mate.”

“Nothing can ever change your mind?” he asked, desperation and a fool’s hope ringing in his voice.

“Nothing.” she stated firmly, pulling back the sleeve of her blouse to reveal her bonding mark.

Kouga’s eyes went wide at that, as he inhaled deeply. Damn it all, but he hadn’t even thought to bother checking her scent, not wanting to get a nose full of the mutt’s lust which he was sure she was bathed in. He hadn’t remembered sensing that the two of them were bonded in this way before, but then again, maybe they hadn’t been, but they were now, so there was nothing for it. The blood bond was permanent.

“Why don’t you go find Ayame?” Kagome suggested out of the blue.

Kouga’s expression perked up at that.

“Yeah, I could, couldn’t I?”

Kagome smiled and nodded, adding… “She seemed rather determined to make you her mate before, so I’m sure she still feels the same way.”

It was around that time, that Inuyasha came crashing into the area from the tree tops. At first, he’d been heading back towards the well at a more casual pace, when he’d first felt Kagome’s presence indicate her return to his time. But then, as he’d approached, and smelled that mangy wolf, he’d bolted into a full-blown gallop.

“What the hell are you doing here?” he spat as he pulled Kagome behind his back, keeping one arm wrapped securely around her waist.

“Inuyasha, it’s okay.” she attempted to sooth.

“The hell it is!” he snapped back. He was just about to say something else, but then quickly snapped his jaw shut when he suddenly heard Kouga address him…by name.

“Inuyasha…” he said rather dejectedly, no scowl behind his voice, no insult, no mutt-face or dog-breath comments. “I just came to apologize.” he continued, once he saw the hanyou turn to give him his full attention.

“You what?” Inuyasha asked in a low voice, a little taken aback, but not about to lower his guard in case it was a trick.

“I apologize.” the wolf youkai repeated, adding “I admit it, I wanted Kagome for myself, but you can understand why, can’t you? I don’t have to tell you what a wonderful woman she is, even if she is a human.”

Kagome growled low in her throat at the human comment, which made Inuyasha chuckle quietly to himself. Still, nodding his agreement to the wolf’s statement, he allowed Kouga to continue, as he continued to hold Kagome in his arms, just in case.

“Just…just take good care of her.” Kouga said next, adding… “I won’t be causing you any more trouble.”

“Don’t go disappearing off the face of the Earth now.” Kagome called over Inuyasha’s shoulder.

Inuyasha turned his head to glare at her from the corner of his eyes, but she shifted her gaze to look at him squarely, and said... “He has two jewel shards.”

Oh yeah…

“Yeah, don’t worry.” they heard Kouga assure them. “Once my two are the last two you need for that little pearl of yours, you can have ‘em.”

That made Inuyasha smile ever so slightly, and nod his head in the smallest of bows, as Kouga, in turn, also nodded his head, before turning and departing the way he’d came.

````````````````````````````````````````````

"Come on!” Kagome begged.

“Nope.” he smirked.

Please?” she begged harder.

“Uh-uh.” he teased.

“Inuyasha! Tell me what the surprise is!”

“If I told you, then it wouldn’t be a surprise.”

I hate it when people say that

Rounding the corner of the village from behind, and coming up on Kaede’s hut from the opposite side than how she usually approached, Kagome was quick to notice Miroku and Sango speaking with a couple of the villagers. They seemed to be discussing some supplies they needed to acquire, but what could they possibly need?

Suddenly, a young little thing, one of the smith’s daughters, came towards Miroku, speaking as she approached… “My father wants to know how many more nails to make.”

Before Kagome could even bother processing her question, she saw the classic expression on Miroku’s face, as he approached the young maiden, along with the classic expression on Sango’s face as he did so.

Coming up only two feet in front of her, Miroku smiled, and said “Tell your father we’ll need at least hundred. That should do it for now.”

The smith’s daughter smiled and bowed, to which Miroku bowed lightly in return. She then turned and departed, the two never having come into physical contact with each other. Sango smiled at the sight, releasing a sigh of relief.

“What was that all about?” Kagome asked while laughing nervously… “No groping? No will you bare my child…???”

“Why Kagome, you wound me…” Miroku teased, knowing full well that Kagome was unaware of the events of the last two days. “As if I would show such disregard for my fiancée.”

“Your what!?!?!” she bellowed happily.

Sango smiled brighter at that point, and said “Surprise!”

Kagome ran up to Sango then, embracing her in a maddening hug. It was about damn time!

“And that’s only one of them.” Inuyasha murmured playfully.

“There’s another surprise?” she asked joyously.

“Come with me.” he instructed, while turning to back towards the well.

“Now wait a minute, you deliberately made us circle the long way around, saying that there was a bunch of ‘activity’ along this path that we would ‘interfere’ with.” Kagome protested suspiciously, as they headed down the direct route to the well, from within the village.

“Keh, well you’d better interfere, I do want your input, after all.” he said with a wink, as they turned the bend, to come upon the half-built base and frame for a rather sizable, multi-room hut.

“Huh?” she mumbled as she stopped in her tracks on instinct, pausing for the orange blur that had just yelled “Kagome!” before launching himself into her arms.

Catching him effortlessly, she then started walking once more, as she held Shippo close to her chest, as she and Inuyasha continued to head towards the hut that a couple of village men were currently working on.

“Inuyasha, what’s going on? Whose house is this?”

Shippo looked up at Inuyasha, an eager expression in his eyes as he frantically sought permission to speak. Looking down at the kit in his mate’s arms, Inuyasha did his best to suppress a chuckle at the child’s antics, as he gave the nod the fox-kit was hoping for.

“It’s ours!” Shippo bellowed happily, as he launched himself from Kagome’s grip, and stood right in the middle of part of the foundation that was yet to have a wall, as he joyously proclaimed… “This is my room!”

“Inuyasha?” she asked again, tears breaching the rim of her eyes, although they were happy tears.

“Yes Kagome, it’s ours.” he confirmed, wiping away a tear with the back of his index finger. The village Headman gave us this land.”

She said nothing more, but gripped him in a fierce hug.

The two village men who’d been nailing a few boards together paused momentarily to look over at the happy couple, then, smiling, went back to their work.