InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Interference ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================


Chapter 17 – Interference



Throughout the rest of the summer, Kagome spent the vast majority of her time in the feudal era, though the mission was temporarily placed on hold. Instead of searching the lands for jewel shards, they spent their time constructing the hut. It wouldn’t have taken Inuyasha and the others that long to throw it together, except Kagome, as he’d suspected, did have some input regarding the hut’s construction. She acquired from her time something she called “insulation” which was to be placed between two layers of wall, and also, using something called a “level”, she helped everyone make sure that the window openings were perfectly sized and shaped, because later, she’d likely be installing glass paneling. Inuyasha was familiar with glass window coverings, having opened hers in the future on several occasions, in order to enter her room via window.

Neither wishing to experience the pulls of separation when Kagome went through the well, Inuyasha always went with her when a return trip was required. Even when he had to remain at the shrine, they were at least not separated by five hundred years of time.

When the rest of her family had first found out that she and Inuyasha were mates, their reactions had been somewhat different than expected. Souta had just yelled “Cool!” and asked when he’d be an uncle. They’d chuckled nervously at that one, and quickly explained that their mission was not yet completed. Kagome’s grandfather, on the other hand, had started going off on how he’d just known that this was going to happen, and oh, the woes of having his only granddaughter run all over feudal Japan, blah blah blah. He’d then proceeded to march himself right up to Inuyasha, who’d instinctively backed against the wall in trepidation, despite the fact that he knew the old man’s sutras were harmless. Even so, he was genuinely surprised when Kagome’s grandfather did not plaster a sutra to his forehead, but instead, poked him in the chest with his forefinger, and stated…

“You had better treat my granddaughter right.”

Inuyasha had gulped, but also nodded his head vigorously, at which time Jii-chan chuckled, and then added...

“And you’d better not keep an old man waiting too long for great-grand babies!”

Everyone had busted up laughing at that, and Inuyasha released the breath he’d been holding with a sigh of relief.

Though Kagome officially had one more year of school to finish, that she felt she’d better attend, even if she was only keeping up appearances, just to alleviate some of the worries that would erupt if she were to drop out all together, her mother did sign her up for home schooling for her senior year, under the pretence that she was always under the weather. This way, Kagome only had to go in for her tests, which was practically all the school she’d ever attended since she was fifteen anyway, but now…Kagome wouldn’t be marked down because of it, and Jii-chan wouldn’t have to keep coming up with excuses.

With Kagome’s new demonic senses, she was finding it just as intolerable in her time as he always sdid, what with all the pollution stinking up the air, and the noise…so much noise. Especially when she went into the city. She also found herself just as calmed as he was whenever she entered her bedroom at the shrine. To Inuyasha, it was bathed in Kagome’s scent, but to her, it was bathed in his. They had both spent so much time in there, after all, that the room was literally saturated with both of their scents. Practically the only “alone” time they ever had any more was in Kagome’s time, since though they also still ran off into the woods on a few occasions, her time was simply safer.

Kagome was walking home from the store, getting ready for one such night, when she suddenly detected the scent of a very familiar perfume, followed by hair product, followed by deodorant, and even before she had a chance to pick up the owners’ actual body scents, she already knew who they were.

“Kagome!” Yuka called as she darted up the sidewalk towards her friend.

Gritting her teeth and rolling her eyes, Kagome quickly turned around with a big bright smile to greet her three friends.

“Hey guys! What’s up?”

“We haven’t seen you all summer.” This time it was Eri who spoke. “Have you been feeling alright?” she asked in genuine concern.

“I’m fine.” Kagome assured her friends honestly, adding… “I’ve just been spending a lot of time with Inuyasha.”

“That boyfriend of yours?” Eri asked, a slight bitterness to her tone of voice that went unnoticed when Ayumi chimed in next with her sigh of “How romantic!”

“Yes, my boyfriend.” Kagome confirmed, not thinking it wise to use the word “mate.”

“You sure you’re happy Kagome?” Yuka asked, meaning well. “He’s hurt you so many times in the past. Hojo would be so much better for you.”

Kagome resisted the urge to growl in inu, as she counted to three in her mind, then said... “I’m very happy, Inuyasha’s ex isn’t an issue any more. He’s chosen me, and we plan on spending our lives together.”

“That’s so sweet!” Ayumi piped up again, dreamy stars in her eyes. “I’m so happy for you two.”

“It’s all an act.” Kagome barely heard Eri mumble under her voice, obviously not meaning for her to hear it. Nor did the other two girls hear it, Kagome was quick to realize, as it was barely at her own hearing level. So keeping that in mind, Kagome chose not to comment directly, but did add…

“In fact, he’s back at the shrine right now. We love each other so much, that we can’t even be separated for too long. Now, when ever I come back home from visiting him at his shrine, he comes with me, and stays over at ours.” She finished her statement with a big grin.

“Oooo…” Yuka swooned behind a chuckle, holding out both hands with her forefingers pointed straight, rubbing her right finger down across her left in the universal sign for “Naughty naughty.”

Kagome blushed nervously at her display, but nodded her confirmation nonetheless. After all, Yuka’s been in an ‘intimate’ relationship with her boyfriend for over a year now. Ayumi always pouted that she was jealous of her three friends, since Yuka, Eri and Kagome all had boyfriends but she didn’t. However, Kagome’s nose had instantly picked up on the fact that Eri did not have the scent of any male on her, so she suddenly wondered if Eri was lying. She wasn’t confident enough with her sense of smell yet to be certain, but she thought Eri smelled as though she had never been with a male. She didn’t scent any further, though, figuring it really wasn’t any of her business, nor did she want her friends to notice her sniffing in their direction and think that she’d finally lost her mind.

Right around the time Kagome was about to smile and say her farewells, all four girls heard a voice calling from up the street.

“Higurashi!”

Oh no, how did I not sense him coming? Because I was distracted, I’ve got to get Inuyasha to teach me to keep my senses more alert.

“Hojo!” Eri called to the boy, as he made his swift approach.

Grinding her teeth in aggravation once more, she mused to herself that she at least no longer had to worry about damaging the enamel, because they’d always heal now, thanks to her youkai blood. Still, she tried to ease up on the pressure to her jaw, as she closed her eyes and counted down the seconds until Hojo closed the gap between them.

Just like Kouga… Kagome told herself, Do it fast, like a band-aid.

“Higurashi…” Hojo said again once he was within range, “How have you been feeling?” he asked with a friendly smile.

“Uh…fine.” Gulping, she found her courage, only to have it ripped out from under her. “Look, Hojo…I.-”

“I was wondering…” he interrupted, probably sensing where her words were heading on some subconscious level. “If you’re up to it, there’s a carnival tonight…would you like to go?”

“Actually, Hojo-”

“She’d love to!” Eri shouted cheerfully.

Kagome flashed her a dry look, but she shrugged it off, and nobody else seemed to notice.

“That sounds like fun.” Yuka commented absentmindedly.

“Why don’t we all go?” Ayumi suddenly asked with a bright smile, attempting to alter the evening so that it was no longer a date between Kagome and Hojo. Kagome picked up Ayumi’s feelings on the matter, and flashed her a genuine smile, to which Ayumi smiled back.

“Great!” Hojo piped up as well, oblivious to the dry looks Eri and Yuka were now flashing Ayumi. “The more the merrier!” he added with a grin, while swiftly taking Kagome’s hand.

Eri had a large grin, Yuka had a small one, but Ayumi seemed downright pissed, which was unusual for her, but before Kagome could say anything, she realized that Hojo had placed something in her hand.

“Here, drink this.” he said as he stepped back to reveal a pouch of strange dried leaves. “That tea will perk you right up.” he added with a smile.

Kagome discreetly scented the bag, and found that many of the herbs were familiar, from Kaede’s garden. Her fake smile turned genuine for a moment, as she mumbled “Thanks…” while realizing, he always did mean well, didn’t he? She decided she’d go to the carnival after all. Hojo would find out that night that she was already taken; she’d go with Inuyasha.

“I guess…” she started to say rather quickly, before he could volunteer to pick her up. “Meet you at the main gate around seven?” she asked.

“Sure!” he piped up happily.

“She’ll be there!” Eri called back after him as he started to walk away.

“Well then…” Kagome stated as she clapped her hands in determination, tossing the bag of dried tea leaves into her larger shopping bag, “I’d better get back, we need to get ready. We’ll see you guys at seven.” she said with a smile as she headed down the street.

Ayumi seemed to have been the only one who noticed that Kagome was suddenly using the plural vernacular, and it brought another smile to her lips.

`````````````````````

“Kagome, what’s the matter?” Inuyasha asked her the instant she stepped foot in the house, since he could easily pick up her distress.

“Stupid Yuka and Eri…” she grumbled low.

“What happened?” he asked with a sigh, having been told stories about these girls in the past, and how they always tried to hook her up with somebody named Hojo. Though he’d never met the guy, he knew who he was, Akitoki’s descendant.

“I bumped into them on my way back from the store, and I told them that I was with you, and that we were happy together, and then Hojo shows up, asking me to the carnival tonight, and before I can even say two words, Eri tells him I’ll go.”

Inuyasha said nothing, but started growling a low, possessive growl in the back of his throat.

“But I have a plan.” she interjected in a calming voice, placing her hand atop his.

“Tell him you’ve already got a fucking mate?” he asked sarcastically.

“Well, I wasn’t going to use those words…” she giggled. “But, I was hoping that you’d come to the carnival with me.” She raised her eyes up to meet his with a gentle smile on her lips, pleading silently with her eyes for him to agree.

“You…you mean…you’d let me out in public?” he asked with genuine amazement, wiggling his ears for emphasis. He wasn’t hurt when Kagome always told him to stay at the shrine; he knew his youkai heritage had to be kept a secret from the humans in her world.

“Of course!” she said with a playful laugh. “I mean, yeah, you’ll have to wear a hat or bandana…” she trailed off.

“Bandana.” he answered swiftly.

Suddenly, he detected her uneasiness again, and with a sigh, asked “What else?”

“Umm, shoes…?”

“Keh, forget it!”

“Inuyasha…” Mrs. Higurashi interrupted then, having heard half of the conversation from the kitchen and decided to come to her daughter’s rescue. “I know our modern shoes hurt your feet, but people also still wear sandals, very similar to the ones from your own time. Would a pair of those be acceptable?”

“Yeah!” Kagome piped up, mouthing “thank you” towards her mother, before shifting her gaze back towards her mate. “They won’t pinch your toes.”

“Okay fine…” he sighed with exaggeration, his grin giving away the fact that he wasn’t really that upset. “Sandals are okay, I supp-ose.” He laid a heavy dose of attitude on the second half of the word, sighing in fake frustration. Then, turning to glance at her from the side of his eyes, he smirked. “I suppose you want me to leave Tetsusaiga behind too…” he griped with feigned indignation.

She remained silent but her eyes remained pleading.

“Keh...” Caving, he unhooked the scabbard from his hakama, and sat his sheathed sword gently upon the coffee table.

He didn’t like the idea of going any place without his sword, but he also knew that her time was a hell of a lot safer than his own, and Kagome also wasn’t quite as helpless as she used to be, so he felt confident enough that should anything happen, they’d be able to handle it on their own.

Looking back up at Kagome’s ridiculously appreciative face, he snapped “What!?” but she only shook her head while smiling happily, and mumbled “Thank you.” to which he replied huskily…“You can thank me latter.”