InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ As the world turns… ( Chapter 31 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================




Chapter 31 - As the world turns…




The next morning, Inuyasha woke to discover Kagome already awake, though she was still laying on her back, beside him. He glanced across at her to see her absently rolling the completed Shikon no Tama around in her hands. Though he hadn’t made a sound, she was aware he had awoken thanks to their bond, and without shifting her gaze to look at him, she suddenly mumbled…

“We’ll have to hold off on purifying it while I’m still in school.”

“I figured as much.” he said nonchalantly, adding “And after you graduate, we have our wedding, don’t forget.” with a smirk in his voice.

“How could I?” she responded seductively, dropping the jewel back into her pocket.

She’d have to get a chain for it, she thought, and wear it around her neck as Kikyou once had. She surprised herself when the mild reference to the other miko didn’t disturb her. She supposed it helped that Kikyou was now returned to her grave, but in a way, she’d also come to terms with the fact that she was her reincarnation, despite the fact that she was an entirely different person.

Meeting their companions for the communal breakfast the Inn provided for its patrons, they then bid their thanks to their host and were once again on the road, this time, heading back to the village that they no longer thought of simply as “Kaede’s village” but more of as “home.”

Kagome had “made it up to him” as she’d promised, once they were in the familiar surroundings of their own private bedchamber. Their coupling was slow and sensual, each taking their time to physically express the love they felt for the other. They mated several times over the next few nights, though Inuyasha was sure to be gentle with his still recuperating, human mate. It was taking her longer to fully recover than he’d first expected, but though that’d made him nervous, Kaede had assured him that Kagome was perfectly fine, and went on to say that such a show of power, especially for someone as untrained as Kagome, could have knocked other girls out into a few days of continual sleep. The fact that Kagome was up and about at all, and active enough to engage in certain ‘activities’, only went to prove how strong she truly was. After a couple of weeks, she was back to her ol’ self, and it was finally time to get down to business, their “breather” as she’d called it, finally over.

Miroku wasted no time in soliciting Inuyasha’s assistance with the construction of their own hut, for which Kagome immediately volunteered for as well. She was happy to help her dear friends in anyway she possible could, which included providing them with some of her “modern” conveniences. Though she did not wish to pollute the timeline too greatly, she traveled to the future often enough to assure herself that nothing she’d done thus far had had any effect on anything. It only went to prove to herself that it was her destiny to live in the past, all along. She’d often worried mildly in passing, especially when hordes of innocent people died at Naraku’s influence, a direct result, if she thought about it, of when she’d shattered the jewel, that she may one day return to the future to find it altered. But since that was never the case, the only conclusion she could make was that those events hadn’t changed anything, because those events were meant to happen, and from the perspective of the others permanently living in her previous timeline, had already happened. Of course, she tried not to think of such things too often, since the end result was usually a headache.

Inuyasha and Kagome spent much of the last month of winter together in her time with her family. They had been made aware that their little girl, who was no longer so little, had completed her mission in the past, and would be leaving them once she was done with her responsibilities in their time. Her mother was eternally grateful that Inuyasha had agreed to postpone purifying the jewel to allow Kagome to finish her schooling, though such a task seemed rather pointless any more. However, it would prove to save face, so that all could observe Kagome mature into ‘legal’ adulthood, graduate, get married, and then move away, without the necessity of making up stories to excuse her disappearance.

They made good use of the time spent in the future, blowing Kagome’s entire college fund on supplies she’d be taking with her into the feudal era. Kagome feared that no matter how much ramen they brought with them, they’d run out long before the food was reinvented, and it wouldn’t be practical to attempt to make noodles from scratch, so as a special treat for Inuyasha, she took him out to eat at a restaurant where he could have fresh ramen. He understood and smirked at the gesture. It was his way of saying goodbye to the one thing he’d truly miss of her era, that and potato chips. What they did bring back to the past in abundance was things like sheets and towels, and plastic storage containers. Though Kagome would undoubtedly be acclimating herself to wearing clothes of the period, and using the current methods women had for her own, she still brought with her some of her favorite outfits, as well as some of Inuyasha’s favorites, including some low cut tank tops like the one she’d been wearing on that fateful night nearly one year ago. She also bought a lifetime supply of undergarments, because she wasn’t sure she could get used to going without those. A sewing kit might prove itself necessary, as well, she decided, since a lifetime supply of bras and panties could quickly be reduced in numbers when am excited Inuyasha was added into the equation.

One fear Kagome’d voiced after purifying Naraku ended up happening one day while she was talking with her mother in the kitchen. She was a little run down from all the back and forth that she and her mate had been doing lately, so when Mrs. Higurashi asked her daughter if she would accompany her to the store, Kagome asked in a polite, yet exhausted voice, “Can I sit down for a few minutes, first?” as she moved to take a seat at the table.

Or at least, that’s what she would have said, had she completed her question.

As it was, as soon as the word left her mouth, she instantly felt the pain of impact that her mate had experienced, wherever he was, as he was subdued by her spell. Confusing her mother by suddenly bolting to her feet, mid-sentence, she proceeded to confuse her mother even more so by rushing out of the kitchen, exhaustion forgotten, as she yelled “I’m sorry!” when she came upon her mate who was currently lying face down in the living room.

Nodoka was soon to follow, asking “What on Earth happened?!”

“I sat him!” Kagome cried. It was then that her mother recalled when, nearly three years ago, Kagome had told her briefly about the rosary.

Kneeling down beside the cursing hanyou, Nodoka Higurashi gingerly asked him if he was okay, but by that time the spell had let up, and he quickly got to his feet, muttering a soft “feh” in reply to her concerns. Sure, getting sat was no picnic, but it wasn’t the end of the world. The look in his mate’s eyes in that moment hurt worse than any sit ever had.

“Oi wench!”

In her upset, Kagome didn’t even notice his choice of language.

“I told you it don’t hurt, so don’t worry about it, all right?” he asked softly, as he pulled her into a light embrace.

“You’re a horrible liar.” he thought he heard her mumble into the fabric of his t-shirt.

“So this happens anytime she says the word ‘sit’?” her mother wished to clarify, “Even when she doesn’t mean it in that context?”

“That’s the nature of the spell.” Kagome mumbled.

“Why don’t you remove the rosary, then? Can you not take it off?”

“I told her no.” Inuyasha explained, soothing a hand through his mate’s hair. “For all the annoyance, the thing has brought me back from transformations, and even saved my life a couple of times. If it weren’t for the rosary, Kikyou could have killed me and dragged me off to hell with her, while Kagome watched helplessly on the other side of her barrier. I’m glad I made her leave it on.”

Mrs. Higurashi raised an eyebrow at that particular bit of new information, and then tried to sooth her sobbing daughter. “Kagome, honey…” she started, “It doesn’t sound to me like Inuyasha is angry, so why are you so upset?”

Drawing her face away from her mate’s chest, she gazed pathetically at her mother, and said “I just feel bad. I shouldn’t do that to him, he’s my mate, and the male is supposed to be dominant.”

That surprised both Mrs. Higurashi and Inuyasha, though for different reasons. While it was technically true that the male was supposed to be the dominant one, Inuyasha had always felt that he treated Kagome as an equal. Though he realized she hadn’t argued with him nearly as much after their mating, he’d figured it was because they were simply getting along better, now that they’d confessed their love to one another. He’d also submitted to her sexually on several occasions. He could detect no fear in her scent, so it wasn’t as if she honestly felt he dominated her and was now worried that he was displeased. It was more out of a respect for him, that she simply understood she that shouldn’t be slamming his face into the ground. He could understand her point if she had continued to use the subduing spell as she had in the past, but she hadn’t, and the occurrence now was an accident. He wasn’t upset with her, and he projected as much through their bond. What he picked up from her was understanding, mixed with mild remorse.

Mrs. Higurashi, on the other hand, was trying to think of anything that could help her daughter. While she supposed she understood that being with an inu-hanyou, there was a male dominance applied in the relationship, it was quite clear to her how much this young man worshiped her daughter. Maybe it was his human half that made the difference. Inuyasha obviously understood that this was an accident, but she could also understand Kagome’s point of view. She would feel just as bad if she accidentally slammed her loved one’s face into the ground due to a mild slip of the tongue. And such an easy thing to say too! Coming up with an idea then, she spoke softly.

“Kagome, sweetie…” she started, placing her hand upon her daughter’s shoulder, “I understand how you feel. That’s a horrible thing to be able to do on accident, especially to the person you love, and I’m sure you feel even guiltier considering how you used to use the command.” Taking a breath, she then turned to Inuyasha, “And I also understand why you insist that the rosary stay right where it is, if it has saved you as you claim, and Kagome has reframed from using its hold on you deliberately.”

“I’ll just have to be more careful….” Kagome whispered, smiling smally up at her mate, who wiped a lone tear from her cheek.

“I may have a solution.” Her statement caught the attention of both her daughter and Inuyasha.

“Yeah?” they both asked tentatively.

“Could you not change the incantation, to a different, less easily spoken word or phrase?”

Looking at each other with raising eyebrows, they both had a look that said I never thought of that

“Keh,” he started, “When she first threw the thing on me, she always said “Sit Boy” but it turned out that the word “Sit” alone was what did it. I’m sure Kaede could change it to only work if she actually said “Sit Boy” and that way, you wouldn’t have to worry so…” he said, changing from addressing Kagome’s mother to Kagome herself as he finished his thought, a gentle claw hooked under her chin to prevent her from averting her gaze as his eyes met her own.

“I’m sure we could pick something else.” she replied hesitantly, concerned for his pride as she asked “Doesn’t that seem a little demeaning to you?”

He merely shrugged, and stated rather logically, “We should keep it simple, and what you’re used to. If we changed it, you might yell “Sit” anyway, and then it wouldn’t work.” He leaned down and gently kissed her nose before adding “As far as demeaning…” he shrugged again, “Remember, you’re part dog too now.” he teased.

Mrs. Higurashi tried to stifle her smile as Inuyasha growled something in dog language, and Kagome responded, growling something else in return. She decided, by their reddening cheeks, that she wouldn’t ask them what they’d just said.

What Inuyasha had actually said was “Bitch”, meant only as the term used for mature female dogs, which he’d finally gotten her to accept is what he meant when he used the phrase in Japanese, and not the insult that she’d explained it meant to humans.

What she’d growled in return was a submissive confirmation of his statement, which literally translated as “Your Bitch.” She blushed not because of what she’d said, but because she realized that he’d never taught her how to say it, which only went to further illustrate his point.

````````````````````````````````````````


Miro ku and Sango’s hut was well under way, Kohaku offering his own manual labor to the task as well. Especially since, he considered, it would also be his home. At first he hadn’t known if he would be welcomed in the new couple’s home, or if they would desire their privacy, but before Sango had even had a chance to say anything on the matter, it was actually Miroku who’d insisted that the young Taijiya stay with them. He said they could use the help with the hordes of babies they were sure to have, which made Sango blush, slap him, then laugh, in that order.

Though Inuyasha always left with Kagome when the girl needed to return to her time for her schooling needs, the couple returned several times a week for a few hours whenever they could manage, bringing with them arm load after arm load of supplies, both for themselves, as well as their friends. Sango and Miroku were both eternally grateful for Inuyasha’s assistance with their hut. It’d only taken him a day to cut down enough trees to provide them with the building supplies, which he’d also hauled and stripped. Kagome offered her assistance as well, providing them with the use of her level once again, as well as bringing insulation for their walls, and glass panels for their windows. The hut was nearly complete in less than two weeks.

When Inuyasha and Kagome returned from their last trip, everyone was surprised when they asked Kaede to speak with them, on a serious matter. Hopefully, if the elder miko could help them with their little ‘problem’, then Kagome would have one less thing to worry about while that pesky thing called ‘real life’ continued to get more and more complicated around them.

“What ails ye?” she asked upon seeing the crestfallen expression of the young miko, and the look of determination currently shining in her hanyou mate’s eyes.

“Kaede, can you…change…the incantation on the rosary?”

Raising the eyebrow above her good eye, she could guess as to what had happened. Such a commonly used word would undoubtedly be spoken by accident on occasion. At first she did not understand why they simply did not remove the rosary, for she knew that surely Kagome had the power to do so. But before the question had even reached her lips, she recalled the morning Inuyasha had frantically barged into her hut, cradling the fallen Kagome, who had her late sister’s arrow protruding through her chest. When Inuyasha had explained what had happened, he’d said that Kikyou had attempted to shoot him, but that Kagome had sat him, causing him to dodge the attack. They likely did not wish to remove the enchantment that had single handedly saved his life.

“Aye, I can…” she answered finally, while stroking her chin in thought. “What did ye have in mind?”

“I want to keep it simple,” Inuyasha answered immediately, “Just change it to “Sit Boy” together, like she used to say, just so the word “Sit” alone don’t do it.”

“This is easily done. The reason only the first half of her phrase had been activated before was that for simplicity purposes, the spell I had uttered was designed to recognize only one single word. However, I can chant the spell that will wipe the rosary, and then cause it to recognize two words in conjunction.”

“How long before you can do this?” Kagome asked timidly.

“I can do this now, if ye like.” she answered.

Kagome and Inuyasha passed each other a quick glance before Inuyasha answered “Keh, let’s get this over with.”

“Very well.”

Kaede closed her eyes and began chanting. Not long after, the rosary began glowing. The glowing faded as Kaede’s speech came to a stop, then she started up again and a new glow began in the beads. Once she was done that time, the glowing did not cease, as she said “Now, child.”

Gritting her teeth, hating what she had to do, but knowing it was necessary, Kagome quickly yelled “Sit Boy!”

*SLAM*

“Mother Fmphhh-------”

The second half of his cursing was cut short when Kagome pried his face off of Kaede’s floor and started kissing him, while mumbling apologies yet again.

Composing himself after a moment, Inuyasha let out a loud “Feh!” then proceeded to wipe imaginary dust from his kimono. One glance in Kagome’s direction, however, and his bad-ass attitude was lost in the wind, as he wrapped his arms around her whispering “Thank you” in her ear.

“Not that I don’t trust your work baba…” he said suddenly, while still holding his mate, “But I’d like to test it.”

“By all means.”

He then gently pulled himself from Kagome’s embrace, murmuring… “Don’t worry,”
while lifting her chin with his finger, “I want you to do this.”

She nodded, offered a sad smile, and then said “Sit.”

Instinctively, he flinched, but nothing else happened. After saying something else first, so that the two words were not one right after the other, she then said the word “Boy” which also did nothing by itself.

“Okay, here we go…” Inuyasha said, bracing for impact.

“Do I have to?” she whined.

“Yes, just this once, just to make sure.” he insisted.

“Sit Boy.”

*WHAM*

“Sorry!”

Kagome was pulled from her apologies by the sound of Inuyasha’s laughter.

“What’s so funny?” she asked seriously, with a crooked face.

Prying himself up off of the floor for the last time, he said “Nothing…just,” Gaining composure, he explained, “If Sango or Miroku were here, they’d think the two of us had completely lost our minds…what with me wanting you to sit me, and you apologizing afterwards!” He started laughing again.

The sight of her mate laughing caused Kagome to laugh as well, joined shortly by a few soft chuckles from Kaede, who could also see the hanyou’s point of view.

“Now,” he said, finally straightening his smile, “You don’t have to worry about saying it on accident any more, unless you get a pet dog.” he winked

An unconscious flicker of his ear at that moment caused Kagome to grin, as she responded teasingly “I already have a pet dog.” as she reached up and tweaked an ear.

“Bitch…” he voiced huskily, “I’ll get you for that.”

“Promise?”

Flinging Kagome onto his back without warning, he barked back at the old miko “If the others ask where we are, tell ‘em we went back to Kagome’s time.” and with that, he was out like a light.

They did not, however, head straight back to Kagome’s time, stopping on their way to the well at a fairly new structure, one that stood not far from the Goshinboku.