InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Happy Anniversary: Part 2 ( Chapter 35 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================




Chapter 35 - Happy Anniversary: Part 2



They mated three more times over the next two days, and each and every time, Inuyasha transformed into his full youkai self, and retained his memories afterwards. Even though the first time had sort of happened on accident, since Inuyasha hadn’t realized the boiling he’d felt would actually tip the scales like it did, the other times since that night he consciously allowed it, with Kagome’s encouragement. She reminded him that if anything should happen, anything at all, that suggested he might become a threat to either her, himself, or anyone else, her powers were now strong enough, and in her complete control, that she could offer him enough of a zap to purify him just enough to return him to his hanyou state.

The amount of trust they had for one another was overwhelming, at least for Inuyasha. Though she couldn’t truly kill him with her powers, him being half human after all, she could purify his youkai half, turning him human, and unlike Kikyou, she was strong enough to make the purification permanent. Kaede had warned them of that as soon as she’d first felt how strong Kagome had become, but with Kagome’s increase in powers also came the knowledge of how to use them. Something she’d always known, but was somehow concealed, locked away inside of her. She now knew how to use and control her powers just as easily as anyone else would know how to use and control their own legs. She could no more ‘accidentally’ purify Inuyasha than you could ‘accidentally’ kick someone in the shins. Yet, she physically had the ability to do so, and that knowledge did not frighten her mate.

Actually, Inuyasha felt relieved, knowing that Kagome would undoubtedly be able to protect herself, should the need arise. He knew she’d never hurt him, he trusted her. It was himself that he didn’t trust, because even though he retained his memories when he shifted back into hanyou form, during the transformation he was still the base-instinct, lust driven youkai monster he always was, only, he managed to keep his lust focused on something other than killing, for a change. What he found so amazing about that was that Kagome trusted him. She trusted him while in that form, and not because she simply knew she could defend herself against him, because she constantly insisted time and time again that he would never hurt her in the first place. The only reason she bothered to point out that she could protect herself in the first place was to help put his own mind at ease.

He would say it again, the amount of trust they shared, he found overwhelming. That was the best way to describe it, he was overwhelmed, overwhelmed with joy, and true, unadulterated love. How could he have ever been as foolish as to think that he had loved Kikyou? He and Kagome were evenly matched; they were each formidable in their own right, and in a true battle to the death, they would likely succeed in killing each other, and yet…they each knew they never would. Never. Nothing, nothing could ever force their hands into turning on one another. No matter what they may think the other person did, no matter what the other person may have actually done, whether through stupidity, accident, or deception, they had each vowed to discuss it with words, never allowing their powers to rise out of their control, and cause them to do something they may later regret. Besides, Inuyasha had joked, if he ever made Kagome really mad, she could always just use the rosary like she used to, though as of late, they’d only used the thing for that ‘other’ use Kagome had discovered about a month prior.

Now, two weeks later, it marked one full year since they were first mated. They were still staying in Kagome’s time more often than not, allowing her as much final time with her family as possible. Besides, with school coming to a close, and the various “finals” she had to constantly go in for, it wasn’t like she could be away for very long at a time anyway. They also decided that it was safer in her time while they still had the jewel, especially with it being mating season, and the couple sometimes being “distracted” from the outside world around them.

It was the morning of what he knew was called Saturday when he detected a strange new scent in the air. Sniffing for a moment, he quickly realized the strange scent was coming from the woman currently sleeping at his left. He wasn’t sure what it was, at least not at first, but something about her scent was just…off.

What’s wrong with her? he wondered absently to himself, still in the groggy stages of morning.

Leaning over, he sniffed at her more closely, determining her body seemed to be storing away more energy than it had been before, as if something new and specific had taken top priority within her system. It could be the beginning of fighting off an infection, or it could be the beginning of…

Suddenly, Inuyasha flung the covers back, rather frantically, an act that started the waking process for his mate. When Kagome was fully roused and cognizant, she stared in blank confusion as to why her mate was sniffing at her belly as if she’d bathed in ramen.

“Inuyasha…?” she voiced in confusion.

The expression on his face as he slowly gazed up at her, however, answered any questions she may have started to ask herself. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but right then, his expression was worth much, much more.

Powder blue velour baby blanket - $15 dollars

Metallic silver wrapping paper - $5 dollars

Your mate’s smiling eyes when he smells for the first time the new life growing within your womb - priceless

``````````````````````````````

Breakfast was hectic. Once Mrs. Higurashi finally finished screaming in delight, Souta had decided it was his turn. Jii-chan took the news lightheartedly as well, and all three Higurashi members relentlessly bombarded the happy couple with a barrage of questions. Souta had asked if it was a girl or a boy, and they had to tell him that they couldn’t tell that yet. Kagome’s mother had asked then if it would have his ears, which they told her it almost definitely would, because it would be a true hanyou. That had triggered a line of questioning from her grandfather next, as to how it was possible for a half-demon to create another half-demon, and not a more diluted quarter-demon. They ended up confessing, rather reluctantly, the fact that Inuyasha’s body could transform (thought not always at will) into a full youkai.

Mrs. Higurashi had actually already been aware of the fact that Inuyasha could transform, as Kagome had shared it with her long ago, after the Tetsusaiga had first broken. Kagome shared almost everything with her mother, except the details of their more fierce battles. Nodoka had seen the deep puncture wounds she’d sported on her upper arms after the battle in the mirror castle, and she’d told her then what had happened. What she had not been aware of, was that Inuyasha had apparently somehow acquired the ability to trigger his transformations on a conscious level. To learn now that her daughter was willingly placing herself in danger with such a beast, even though that beast was the hanyou whom she loved as a son, she felt a small twinge of uncertainty.

Both Kagome and Inuyasha detected the change in her mother’s scent, and they immediately reassured her of Kagome’s own newfound strength. Her grandfather coughed, and said something along the lines of “Of course she’s strong, she’s a Higurashi.” while Souta decided, in that moment, to point out Jii-chan’s lack of strength. Having been aware of her daughter’s recent increase in spiritual powers, Kagome’s mother took that moment to ask, as politely as possible, if her daughter’s strength was perhaps, in any way, fueled by the jewel itself. She was merely concerned for her daughter, because she knew that they planned on purifying the jewel, which meant it would no longer exist. She hated the idea of her daughter losing some of her powers as a result. Kagome’s grandfather then said something about no one being strong enough to purify the jewel, because the jewel was all powerful, and that if her powers truly came from the jewel, that Kagome was wise to tap into its powers, and should not attempt to rid the world of the most sacred of jewels, and blah blah blah.

Rolling his eyes, Inuyasha whispered in Kagome’s ear that perhaps a demonstration was in order. She smirked, and nodded, removing the jewel from around her neck and handing it to her mate. No point in demonstrating power that they thought came from the jewel, after all. Jii-chan had a drop jaw expression as he witnessed the hanyou take hold of the jewel, but Inuyasha merely lifted an eyebrow as he looked at him and asked “What?” rather nonchalantly.

Mrs. Higurashi smiled then, she knew it was her daughter he craved now, not that bobble he was currently holding carefully by its chain. As a precaution, he made sure no part of his flesh came into direct physical contact with the jewel itself, for fear of one tainting the other, whichever way it may go. It was Inuyasha himself who had that worry, not Kagome, though Kagome did suggest that he’d better keep a safe distance from her, just in case her energy was drawn to the jewel, like before. She didn’t want to risk hurting him, even a little.

Closing her eyes, she began to concentrate. The power that grew around her caused Inuyasha’s skin to tingle, and he silently grabbed for Tetsusaiga’s sheath, in case he required the barrier to protect him from a stray bolt of energy. His mate’s three family members stared in awe as Kagome’s aura became visible, glowing a pinkish purple with her powers of purification, as her hair swirled around her in the wind her own energy was creating. She surprised her family when she turned to her mate and said “Let’s really show them, attack me.”

Inuyasha heard the humans gasp, but he merely smirked, and trusting his mate’s judgment, he threw an Iron Reaver Soul Stealer at her. It was clearly only at sparing strength, for he didn’t want to risk destroying her family’s kitchen, however, it was still impressive to see the bolts of his youki energy fizzle into nothingness upon contact with her barrier. Souta had witnessed the power of his claw attack before, and they had a missing tree in the backyard to prove it.

Letting her powers recede back into her body, she turned to face her family once more, and was met with a trio of drop jaw, saucer eyed smiles.

``````````````````````````

Deciding they had a couple of days until she needed to be back at school for more finals on Monday, they packed light and hopped into the well. Dropping off their overnight bag at their own hut, they continued on into the village.

Kaede and Shippo were found easily enough, as the kitsune helped the old miko in her herb fields. He had been staying with the woman while Kagome and Inuyasha were in the future. He was such a good boy, so understanding. He hated it when Kagome left just as much as Inuyasha always had, but he never once complained, not when he knew she would be staying in his time permanently was her schooling was finally over and done with. He’d lost his biological parents, so he knew, in a way, how it would feel for Kagome when she finally left her time, her family, forever. He couldn’t in good conscious whine about her wanting to spend as much time with them as possible before her farewell.

When he detected her scent approaching, he turned loose of the herb field, launching himself in her direction while screaming “Mama!”

Inuyasha and Kagome both saw the orange streak that was flying through the air towards them, and in an instant, Inuyasha had Shippo by the tail as he said gently, well gently for him “Oi! You can’t go jumping up on her any more runt, she’s pupped.”

Shippo immediately stopped squirming in his father’s grasp, allowing his body to go limp, as he concentrated on sniffing the air around his mother.

Kagome worried briefly what Shippo’s reaction was going to be, hoping that he didn’t feel less loved. She knew how it felt to suddenly no longer be the only child, and feeling less loved was a phase most older siblings went through, she was sure. It also doesn’t help that Kagome was actually pregnant with their first biological child, Shippo having been adopted and all. But while kitsune didn’t, as a general rule, live in large packs like inu and oomaki did, it was common for kitsune parents to have several offspring, and Shippo would have undoubtedly ended up with younger siblings of his own, had his parents survived.

His reaction brought a small wave of relief over Kagome, and Inuyasha as well, who’d had similar concerns.

“Yay!” he squealed in delight, while still dangling upside-down by his tail. “I’m gonna be a big brother!”

Laughing, Inuyasha dropped the kit, who managed to do a rather impressive mid-air flip to avoid landing on his head, completely unfazed by the fact that he had been dropped.

“That you are, pup.” Inuyasha agreed, bending down enough to pat the youngster on the head.

Kaede, who had also approached the young couple, though not with quite as much unbridled enthusiasm as was displayed in the youkai child, stood there smiling as she said “This is cause for congratulations.”

“Not just congratulations…” a new voice said, as the near microscopic youkai bounced up and down on his master’s shoulder. “This is a cause for celebration!”

“Myouga!” Kagome and Inuyasha both proclaimed in surprise.

Plucking the flea from his robe, he held him pinched in his claws, and bringing his retainer up towards his face, Inuyasha smirked “It’s about damn time you showed up, thought you would have gotten in our business long before now.”

“Forgive me…” he started, not shaking in fear for once since it was clear that Inuyasha was in a good mood at the moment, “I have checked in on you and Lady Kagome, but you seemed to have everything under control. You remembered all I had taught you about mating and bonding, so I didn’t see any reason to interfere.”

Kagome smiled at the small youkai then, and asked “Is there something you need to tell us now? You don’t usually show up unless it’s important.”

“Actually, Lady Kagome…” the flea addressed, “There is.” Pulling a handkerchief and wiping his brow, he started, a little hesitantly, “Lord Sesshoumaru has….” he paused.

“He has what?” Inuyasha asked, a little annoyed. If it were something really important, like a battle, he would have either come himself or sent the imp Jaken, so this was obviously something more along the lines of a political manner.

“He…he has selected a mate.”

“What?!” Inuyasha asked in shock, dropping the flea.

“My gods…” he heard Kagome mumble next to him, “The well must have dropped us in a parallel universe.” she finished, laughing.

Inuyasha, having understood her joke thanks to her occasional tutoring, started laughing as well, but finding composure after a moment, asked the flea “So what does that have to do with me?

“As ruling partner of the Western Lands, Lord Sesshoumaru is bound by custom that his mate be approved prior to completing the bonding.” he said.

“Ruling….partner?

“ I thought we were only in an alliance with him…” Kagome stated hesitantly, equally confused.

“So did I…” Inuyasha admitted, shaking his head in confusion.

“You are a son of the Great Inu no Taisho!” the little youkai suddenly insisted rather fiercely, as he bounced up and down on the ground before them, his voice reaching their advanced ears despite the distance between them. “By birthright you own half of the Western Lands, which Sesshoumaru as the elder brother rules in your absence! You always had the right to claim what was yours!”

“Feh” the hanyou spat while turning his head.

“What?” Kagome asked in shock, then turning towards her mate, she asked “You knew that?”

“Sure I knew that.” he mumbled, Myouga having told him of his birthrights the first time over a century ago. “I just don’t want it. I’m not a leader. I’m not political and I don’t know nothing about the higher Court society. He cast me out as a pup, so I never grew up learning the stuff I’d need to know. Living the life I’ve had now, fending for myself, I don’t want the life of a Courtier. They’re all high and mighty, snobs the bunch of ‘em, they’d never respect the rule of a hanyou.”

Kagome frowned at her mate’s explanation. The younger prince, cast out just because he had a mortal mother. What made it so sad was that his mother was a human princess! Her human community had cast out their young prince as well, for being half demon! She knew her mate was royalty by birth, and she knew he knew, but what she hadn’t known was that he’d had a legal claim on the lands, could have chosen to fight for them, and instead had chosen to leave it be. He’d always insisted on keeping his sword once he’d learned of it, once he’d realized he had an inheritance, an inheritance which his older brother then tried to claim. Kagome hadn’t known that it hadn’t been the first time. Inuyasha fought bravely and fiercely to keep his sword, which was his right, but half of a kingdom which he knew was his as well, he gave up on? Because he was a hanyou? The saddest thing of all was, at least until now with Sesshoumaru on his side, his assumptions were probably correct; they wouldn’t have respected the rule of a hanyou. With his last sentence ringing in her ears, something occurred to her then.

“Is that why you wanted to become a full youkai?”

His eyes widened in surprise, then he quickly averted his gaze, ears drooping as he looked downward.

“Feh” could be heard by those with demonic hearing.

“Maybe they wouldn’t have acknowledged or respected you before…” she conceded softly, but placing her hand upon his shoulder she continued with “…but it looks like times are changing.”

Inuyasha nodded, and after a moment to gain his composure, he turned to face her and asked “Well, what do you think? When should we go?”

Kagome immediately noticed that he hadn’t asked her if they should go, but merely when. He was nothing without his sense of duty and responsibility, and though he may have decided long ago that he didn’t want the Court life, it looked like there may be no way around it.

“I have some more finals on Monday,” she reminded him, then thinking for a moment, she added, “Then I don’t have to be back at school again for two more weeks.”

Looking back down at the flea then, Inuyasha said “Tell him we will be heading out three days from now.”

“But Master Inuyasha-” Myouga started to protest, Sesshoumaru having made it perfectly clear that he expected them as quickly as possible. Myouga had already waited for a few days while Inuyasha and Kagome were in her time!

Inuyasha cut off his rant with “Tell him that my mate has a previous engagement with her family, and that she must attend that before we start our journey. If he tries to say I should have come alone, tell him she’s newly pupped, and I ain’t leaving her side for nobody.”

Sweat dropping, Myouga nodded, and suddenly leaping into the air, he caught the back of a nearby bird that had been passing overhead at the moment. His feathered steed immediately veered off its original course, turning to take its tiny passenger back to the Western Lands.

`````````````````

Deciding to relax a little now, since they still had their weekend to themselves and their friends before Kagome’s tests, followed by their trek into the Western territories, Kagome and Inuyasha followed Shippo and Kaede to her hut. Miroku, Sango and Kohaku, were all soon called to join them, and the group later sat happily around the fire pit like old times, while treated to a wonderful dinner Kagome had supplied from her time. Thinking a special treat was in order, since she would soon be staying with them permanently, and the “Ninja food” would subsequently cease as a result, she was trying to broaden their pallets as much as possible. She was also trying to personally say goodbye to all of her favorite foods, making sure to commit each and every one to memory. Inuyasha had had his official farewell to ramen and potato chips, so now it was her turn. Who would have thought Hamburger Helper would turn out so well with rabbit meat? Sometimes Kagome just loved what the Italians did with their noodles.

Sharing with the others the news of Kagome’s “condition” they were met with another bout of giddy screaming from Sango, some really, really annoying looks of smugness from Miroku, and a genuine congratulatory smile from Kohaku.

The couple were soon to wed, and had been waiting only until Kagome and Inuyasha were in their time, and for his old Master Mushin to arrive with Hachi. Still, it had been believed that Sango would likely become with child first, so Miroku was a little on the jealous side, and took it out on our poor hanyou in the form of relentless teasing. Miroku felt a little better, however, when a date was set for approximately one month from that night, which would give everyone plenty of time to prepare. They had been living together since the completion of their hut, but Miroku had surprised Sango by being on his best behavior. Which of course meant he groped her on several occasions, but besides that, and some occasional kissing or snuggling, the couple had not ventured further. He had said that while he may have led a lecherous life in the past, he wanted his relationship with Sango to be honorable. She fell in love with him all over again on that day.

Retiring for the evening, Shippo volunteered to stay the night at Kaede’s as he had been doing in his parents’ absence. Kagome tried to protest for a few moments but Shippo shook his head, not hearing it. The young kit being much older at heart than most would assume, understood that his parents hadn’t in truth had any genuine “alone” time while in Kagome’s world, what with her family in the same house. Surely, he thought, they’d like to share a night in which they didn’t have to muffle their cries. Not really wishing to come out and say that in front of the elder miko, though, Shippo thought fast, and woofed the inu for a pup acknowledging its parents, and then the soft bark/growl that could literally translate as the act of mating or a desire to do so, which Kagome had heard Inuyasha bellow out on several occasions, but hearing it from her kit surprised her. Though the sentence structure, as Kagome would consider it, was rather broken and jumbled, he’d articulated the point rather accurately. Glancing sideways at her mate, she couldn’t help the small amount of blush that rose on her cheeks, a blush that increased when Inuyasha barked back what would basically mean “good pup” and then “pup stay”. Kaede had raised an eyebrow at the canine verbal exchange, but thought she had pretty much understood what was being said, when a blushing Kagome exited the hut with her mate, and little Shippo stayed behind.