InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Night of the waning quarter-moon. Part 1 ( Chapter 40 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================





Chapter 40 - Night of the waning quarter-moon. Part 1


As Sesshoumaru approached the woman who was legally his mate, he found himself, for the first time since he could remember, feeling anxiety. After all, the fact that he was around four hundred years old was suddenly irrelevant, this experience was entirely new. Kagura’s eagerness both pleased and frustrated him. She carried an air of maturity though she had been alive, in this form, for merely two years. How she came into existence as the woman she was today did not bother him, however, he was merely jealous of her composure. He noted that though her body was void of clothing, she had left her hair styled in the bun she always wore. That pleased him; it gave him something of hers to remove, and she’d likely left it on purpose.

Closing the distance between them then, Sesshoumaru reached up with his one hand, and effortlessly pulled the ornament from his mate’s hair, causing her raven locks to cascade down past her shoulders. He’d never in fact seen her hair worn down, and was surprised by its length. Gripping her by her hair then, he forcefully pulled her into him, an embrace she eagerly returned, as she felt him gently scrape his claws across her flawless back. He recalled all to vividly the spider mark that used to blemish her flesh. He recalled the night he freed her from it.


~~~Flashback~~~


Nightfall was approaching, but he continued forward nonetheless. He was sure Rin would be fine, he had left her in the care of Jaken and Ah-Un, but he still knew that the child would prefer it if he returned to the campsite before the sky completely blackened. She always slept more soundly when he was near, a fact he was aware of despite her attempts to hide its truth.

As he trudged through the snow, rather soundlessly, he could not help but to ponder over the day’s recent events. Naraku was slain, and for that he should be grateful, but it was truthfully the furthest thing from his mind, at the moment. That was the most disturbing encounter with his brother to date, and the words of his brother, as well as his companions, all still rang in his ears.

Take a mate indeed, but yet, he knew it would be required of him, one day. But who to choose? None of the Courtiers interested him, none of the neighboring Inu clans woman pleased him, and a contractual mating for procreation was simply out of the question. He himself was the result of such a joining, and he recalled all too vividly the lack of passion sensed between his parents. Though his father was honorable, and remained true to his mother until her untimely demise, Sesshoumaru knew the two held no real love for one another. It was a political gain, pure and simple. When his father had later claimed and mated with Inuyasha’s mother, he despised the joining because he knew his father was in love with the human wench, and he found such a union degrading to the family. Yet, looking back on it, he now at least understood what it was his father had tried to explain to him, when he’d asked him if he had something to protect. No matter how many times he may deny it outwardly, verbally claiming before his enemies that he protected no one, he knew it was not the truth. He protected Rin.

He’d heard the rumors across the land of how he’d grown soft, of how he planed to follow in his father’s footsteps. The whispers made him shudder; that was just gross. Care for Rin as he may, she was a human, and a child for Kami’s sake. Though it was true that she would grow swiftly, he simply did not, and never would, think of her in such a fashion. Though the crude remark some of the staff had used in the past, referring to her as a “pet,” was not entirely accurate, either. If he must be honest with himself, and himself alone, Rin was his daughter.

Another reason to take a mate, to put an end to that irksome rumor. He trudged forward. Urgent though he realized it was, he did not wish to simply mate for the sake of mating. He knew most would not believe it to look upon him, but he desired that when he did take a mate, it would be, at least partially, for love.

“Nobody in their right mind would want to mate with the ice king.”

His brother’s words came back to haunt him. He knew very well that he projected a stoic demeanor, but he deemed such a thing necessary. In truth, he had emotions; he simply wasn’t as overly emotional as his brother. His brother was half human, after all, and as such, he was plagued with the acute mental turmoil of the species. Pausing, he realized something as it occurred to him. When had he started to refer to Inuyasha in his own mind as simply his “brother” and not “half-brother”?

He trudged forward.

Shaking his head from its distracting line of thought, he decided to think of the matter no more for the night, and that’s when he saw her.

Kagura laid face down in the snow, the scent of death hanging thickly to her every pore. Here was a creature that had always fascinated him. Constructed from the youkai Naraku had absorbed, she was the wind incarnate, and despite the fact that Naraku was her master, and held her very heart in his hands, she openly betrayed him at every available opportunity. It would appear that she’d finally crossed the line. He almost failed to notice the second girl. Her paleness blended with the snow-covered ground, but not far from where Kagura laid rested the lifeless body of Kanna, as well. That one confused him even more, the void youkai, possessing no youki, no soul. But Kagura, in her passion, considered the child-like creature her sister, or at least, that was the impression he had gathered from when he’d observed the two of them interact.

He was about to pass their bodies by, when a strange scent found its way to his nose, and it took a moment for him to realize what it was. Kagura’s heart. When Naraku had apparently slain her for her latest defiance, he returned Kagura’s heart to her body. She was complete. She was revivable.

Placing his hand upon Tenseiga’s hilt, he silently asked his sword for guidance. The mystic fang of Heaven heeded its master’s plea, pulsating so strongly that Sesshoumaru felt it against his hip. Drawing the blade, he could see the imps of the netherworld as they scampered about the wind youkai’s body, holding her in chains, as they attempted to relieve her of her soul. Sesshoumaru wondered how long she had been lying there, awaiting her rescuer. By all accounts, from what his nose told him, she had been here for at least a full day. Had she known he would find his way to her? Had she held onto her body that long…in faith? In hope? A fool’s hope. But yet… Choosing to ponder this no longer, he swiftly slashed his sword through her body, the spiritual blade cutting not her flesh, but the ghosts of youkai who prepared to capture her essence.

He studied her as her life was brought back to her, as her flesh repaired itself, flesh that was partially exposed to him, yet again, by the way Naraku had cut her down. He openly raised his eyebrows in surprise when he saw the spider mark upon her back fade into nothingness. Naraku was dead. She was free.

Approaching Kanna, he attempted to see if he could revive the void youkai as well, but there were no imps present over her body. She had no soul to remove, no soul to retrieve. He had to wonder if Naraku hadn’t simply cut down Kanna in Kagura’s presence, to add to her turmoil, before releasing the final blow.


~~~End Flashback~~~


Kagura had seemed rather solemn and distant for the first few weeks since he’d revived her and had permitted her to return with him to his castle, a polar opposite from the woman he now embraced, as she frantically tugged at his hakama, having already successfully relieved him of his robes. Ice King he may be, in the face of his enemies, but Ice King he was not, in the warmth of his futon. For the last week he’d held her each night as they slept, for the last week he’d whispered promises of things to come once their mating was official. Feeling his hakama loosen and slip down his hips, he thrust himself towards her as she gripped his stiffness through his fundoshi. Kagura may lack claws, but that did not mean she lacked animal passion. Reaching for her fan, which rested on her nightstand, always within reach, a single flick of her wrist was all it took, and his fundoshi fell effortlessly, a collection of tattered ribbons. He quirked an eyebrow at her amused expression, before he permitted a bellowing laugh to escape from his throat. Leaning forward, he forcefully captured her lips with his own.


~~~Flashback~~~


Kagura was grateful to be revived, though it confused her as well. When she’d asked Sesshoumaru why, he’d said because it was Naraku’s desire that she perish. It was a shallow reason, but whatever the truth was behind it, she was grateful. Naraku had been angry with her for refusing to slay the remaining wolves. She’d spat back in his face, as she tossed him the shards, that she’d gotten what he wanted, so what difference did it make. His response had been that what he wanted, was a servant who obeyed orders. He then proceeded to present Kanna before her, and he praised the void highly, saying that she never disobeyed an order. He had then commanded Kanna to remove Kagura’s soul with her mirror, and Kanna obeyed. Kagura panicked as she saw her soul start to leave her, and in a move of self-defense, she attacked Kanna’s mirror with her fan, shattering it. She had not known that the mirror was Kanna’s life force. She felt her heart ache in the knowledge that she had inadvertently slain her own sister, but the pain she felt suddenly became much more real when Naraku grasped her heart in his hand, squeezing murderously, spitting out that that had been the last straw, that he hadn’t really planned on killing her, yet, until now. He clinched her heart tightly until he felt it break, tearing the top of her yukata down as he shoved the deceased organ into her chest. Her world grew dark, the last thing she heard being Naraku’s hideous laugh.

Blinking back tears, she walked the halls lethargically. It was a memory that would haunt her for some time, but that did not mean that she should permit herself to dwell on it. Coming upon the human child, Rin, she found a small smile sprout at the edges of her lips. Rin asked her if she wanted to play, and for lack of anything better to do, she agreed. Following the child through the halls of the castle and out towards her secret garden, Kagura had to wonder as to why she had been permitted to take up residence in the castle. When Sesshoumaru had revived her, he’d moved to walk away, but paused. Kagura had stood stock still, wondering what his purpose for remaining could possibly be, when he asked her simply “Do you have somewhere to go?”

“I am the wind.” She’d answered, outstretching her arm in emphasis, as she added “I can go anywhere.”

“Indeed, you can.” had been his response, as he turned to leave, adding…“It is your choice.”

His deeper meaning was not lost on her, and blinking in surprise at his retreating figure, she found her feet moving to follow him. It wasn’t long before she found herself at a campsite, consisting of that miserable Jaken fellow, the human girl she knew as Rin, and the giant pet dragon whose name had escaped her at the moment. When Rin had asked if Kagura would be joining them, Sesshoumaru had passed her a look she couldn’t place, as he stated simply “It is her choice.” Registering the expression of anticipation from the child, as she awaited her answer, Kagura met Rin’s gaze, and answered simply “Yes, I will be joining you.”

That was over a month ago now, and with spring’s dawn, it brought forth a new sense of life in her as she witnessed new life begin within Rin’s garden. She didn’t know what she was to Sesshoumaru, but one thing she did know was that she was not his slave. She was free to go at any time she wished, he had said so himself, and having that knowledge allowed her to stay, as she deemed it was her desire to do so.

She never accompanied him in his treks across the land, camping not really her thing, but he never uttered a word regarding his opinion of that decision. Kagura began to truly wonder what went on within his mind when she caught his look of relief at her continued presence when he returned after his latest voyage. As if he had been fearful that she would be missing upon his return. She could sense a feeling of urgency within him, no matter how stoic he made his mask appear. She always seemed to have an uncanny ability to read him. He’d even raised an eyebrow at it once. This time, Kagura had the feeling that something was weighing on his mind, something heavy. She found herself wishing that if he had something to say to her, that he just come out and say it already.

Little did she know her life-altering encounter with the Taiyoukai would happen that very night.

Dinner was rather uneventful, at least at first, until Sesshoumaru suddenly announced that he and his brother had formed a truce and alliance, and he planned on honoring his father’s second son with his rightful title to the Western Lands. Looking up at Kagura’s shocked expression, he stated logically that he had enemies, and that he could use as many allies as he could receive. Rin piped up in that moment, stating with confidence that Kagura was their ally too. Kagura had started to nod, but her gesture was interrupted by the toad imp, when Jaken snorted at the child, telling her that Kagura was merely passing through and to not get too attached. Seeing the hurt in her eyes, she felt bad for the child. She had, up to that point, spoken with an uncertainty regarding her future, and had often told the girl herself that she may not be staying permanently. But Rin had always smiled, and told her that she knew she would stay. It was at that night’s dinner, after Jaken’s words, that she decided to tell Rin (and everyone else at dinner) that she had decided to remain indefinitely. Though she may have lacked an inu’s keen sense of smell, she still felt the sudden change in Sesshoumaru’s aura at her words. Glancing up at him, she was surprised when his eyes fixated on her gaze, causing her to be the one to eventually look away, color rising to her cheeks against her will. After departing towards her bedchamber, she was truthfully only half surprised to find Sesshoumaru in the halls, awaiting her.

“Was there something you wished of me?” she asked politely.

“You are not my servant, Kagura.” he stated stoically.

“I-I didn’t mean to imply otherwise,” she fumbled, adding, “Was there something you wanted, though?” her natural confidence back in place, even if it was only a mask.

“Yes.”

The manner in which the single word left him, so confident, so certain… Kagura felt her knees begin to buckle. She’d never heard him utter anything so simple, yet so defining, all at the same time.


~~~End Flashback~~~


“Oh Sesshoumaru!” Kagura panted, as he suckled one breast while kneading the other.

She wrapped her arms up around him, grazing her nails across his powerful back, heedless of his missing arm. To her he was flawless, and besides, the limb would grow back with time.

Sesshoumaru’s response was to growl something in Inu that she did not yet understand, though to hear him going all primal on her sent shivers down her spine.

She was surprised and delighted to feel his tongue leave a trail down her belly, as he traveled towards her nest of raven curls. Inhaling madly, he could tell she was already more than ready for him, but he still refused to take her without first bringing her pleasure. He snaked his tongue out, and smirked almost evilly at the way she gasped, this was going to be fun. Reaching down with his hand, extremely careful of his poisonous claws (though his saliva possessed the antidote) he delicately rested his hand upon her curls, spreading her nether lips with his fingers.

Kagura’s moan was loud enough to be confused for a scream as Sesshoumaru raked his tongue over her exposed collection of nerves. If there was ever a time in his life that the Taiyoukai wished he had his left arm, it would have been then. Foolish as it was, he was fighting with his hair falling in his face, yet he did not wish to release his claim of her, for even a moment, in order to take action remedying the mild annoyance. Instead, he shook his head a couple of times in an attempt to fling his hair back upon his shoulders, and in doing so, he inadvertently discovered an action his new mate liked very much indeed. Clamping her more firmly with his lips, he shook his head again, permitting the most rarest of playful growls to escape his throat. He suddenly found Kagura’s hands gripping his silver mane rather firmly, as she reached down to pin him in place. Well, problem solved.

As lights exploded behind Kagura’s eyes, she found herself unable to halt the cry of ecstasy that escaped her lips in the form of her lover’s name. Sesshoumaru was quite certain that no other sound in the universe could ever prove more beautiful. He permitted her to descend from the Nirvana he had thrust her in before proceeding, observing as her body’s trimmers slowly subsided.

Kagura lay there in utter bliss, gazing up through half-lidded eyes at the glossy faced man who had just brought her so much pleasure, who would continue to bring her pleasure, for eternity. She was puzzled slightly as to why he had not yet entered her, but when she heard him ask “Are you ready?” she knew he had only been pausing for her benefit, and it made tears of joy want to leak from her eyes. Unable to trust her voice, she merely smiled and nodded her head.

When she saw Sesshoumaru climb back up upon the futon, and tower over her propped on his knees, she looked at him in mild confusion, as he looked at her, at first with merely an expression of waiting, which shifted to amusement when he realized his gesture had been lost on her.

“I am inu.” he stated simply, and the look of Ohhhh that passed across Kagura’s face caused his second laugh of the evening to be heard. Little did Kagura know that it was also his second laugh in well over three centuries.

Gathering herself up and positioning herself eagerly on her hands and knees before him, Kagura trembled with anticipation as she felt him snake his arm around her, to steady her, embrace her. Kagura, realizing her partner was in truth missing a limb, silently reached behind herself to assist with aligning him at her entrance before he would have been forced to release his hold on her waist. Silently, he was grateful.

As soon as Kagura felt his member’s head peak at her entrance, she retracted her hand, once again placing it flatly upon the futon before her. Sesshoumaru went slow. He was quite large, even by youkai standards, which suffice it to say, meant he put all human males to shame.

She tried not to react to the pain, wanting so desperately to be strong in his eyes, but when he was fully sheathed within her, she could not help the sigh of relief that passed through her lips.

She had figured he would pause for a moment to allow her some time to adjust, but she was beginning to wonder why he hadn’t started moving yet, when she suddenly heard him say

“I am aware this pains you, and for being the cause, I am sorry.”

Damn it, those tears of joy were back.

“You don’t have to apologize, my love. This pain is a natural part of becoming a woman, that which you have now made me. Your woman.”

A growl of satisfaction escaped his throat at her comment, and despite her lack of knowledge in inu linguistics, she knew her mate was content. She felt the hand that gripped her shift ever so slightly, moving upward from her stomach to cup her right breast. Kagura smirked, and lowered her self to her elbows, giving her arching body more of an angle, as she gently rolled back into him, her pain having finally subsided. It was in that instant that she felt him start to move within her. His slow careful strokes soon escalated into hard and frantic thrusts, as Kagura attempted to hold on for the ride, her mind in a foggy haze of pleasure as he pounded into her. She found herself unable to think, yet thinking everything, all at once, as the memories of her conversation with him on that night came to her in fleeting glimpses.

“Was there something you wanted, though?”

“Yes.”

“Which is?”

“You.”

Picking up the pace, Sesshoumaru gave Kagura’s breast one final squeeze before releasing his claim of it, as he straightened his posture, firmly gripping her hip.

“I beg your pardon?”

“I do not pardon.”

“You know what I mean.”

“Indeed. This Sesshoumaru wishes you to become his…”

“Mate.” he grumbled low as the red seeped into his eyes, his jaw line distorting, as his climax approached. Kagura could tell her normally cool and collected Taiyoukai was currently obeying the passion of his blood lust, but that didn’t bother her one bit.

“I’m…I’m speechless.”

“What is your answer?”

“Why do you want this?”

“Does it matter?”

“Yes, it does.”

Kagura felt her muscles begin to tighten, as that all too new, yet familiar feeling, began to boil within her.

“This Sesshoumaru wants you because it is time I secure an heir for the Western Lands, and you are both strong and powerful, and…”

“And? Surely you could ask anyone to be your mate.”

“There is no one else this Sesshoumaru wishes to ask.”

“Sesshoumaru!” she screamed again as her muscles tightened once more, this time while he was still within her, as they clamped down around his sensitive flesh, milking his own release from his body. Flinging himself forward, he chomped down on the previously unmarred flesh of her right shoulder. Feeling him mark her, claim her, Kagura felt her own blood begin to boil, and had her eyes not previously been red to start with, they surely would have shifted to that color, as her powers raged out of control. A light wind picked up in the bedchamber, as her raven hair swirled up around her, intermixing with the shimmering silver locks of the man still buried securely within her from behind.

“I love you too.”