InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Tiger, Tiger, Burning Bright… ( Chapter 47 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================




Chapter 47 - Tiger, Tiger, Burning Bright…




“Ahh, Lord Inuyasha, it is a pleasure.” Daikomaru murmured while nodding his head in the slightest of inclines towards the hanyou.

Inuyasha returned the microscopic bow before promptly introducing “My mate, Kagome…” as he gestured towards the human miko at his right, who then proceeded to nod her head only so slightly as well.

Tsukie, realizing she wasn’t about to be introduced, took the opportunity to do so herself, while extending what she attempted to be genuine pleasantries. “And I am his mate, Tsukie.” she said politely, adding “It is indeed a pleasure to meet you both.”

At that point, Sesshoumaru also bowed ever so slightly, excusing himself, stating that there were matters which required his attention. In truth, he merely wished to see how well his brother could interact with the Eastern Lord on his own, and he also knew that Daikomaru would not reveal his true colors were he himself still present.

Daikomaru’s smile grew wider as he saw Sesshoumaru depart, and waited a few moments before speaking,enssuring the Inu Lord was in fact out of earshot.

“So, Inuyasha… (what happened to Lord?) …your reputation precedes you.” he smirked. “How ever did you manage to acquire the title of Ruling Partner?” The amusement in his voice was all too evident.

Casually removing his sword from his sash and plopping himself down upon one of the many cushions lining the chamber, Inuyasha leaned himself against the wall ever so slightly, indicating he felt completely relaxed. His smile widened when Kagome proceeded to follow suit, taking up the cushion at his right, though she sat with a more proper posture, he noted. She was sitting on her knees as if she were still wearing the fancy yukata she’d been dressed in for the formal dinner of four nights past, and not in the demonic miko ensemble she’d been sporting as her official “feudal era outfit” ever since he’d had it commissioned. Taking his eyes off of his beautiful mate after another moment, he shrugged visibly, and finally answered Daikomaru’s question with a simple “Hell if I know.” followed by a short chuckle.

Daikomaru continued to size them up, and Kagome could not help but to feel under the microscope, as it were. As a show of good faith, despite the fact that she was clearly marked as being a miko by the garments she wore, she had deliberately chosen to leave her bow and arrows behind. But, before entering the gathering chamber they were now all occupying, she had removed the sacred jewel from her backpack and placed it once more around her neck, void of wards, of course. That was required for two reasons. One, she wasn’t about to drag her ugly yellow bag into the meeting with her, nor was she about to leave it unattended in the side study while containing the jewel. Two, the Eastern Lord and Lady had surely already been made aware that she possessed the jewel, so there was truthfully no logic in attempting to conceal its presence. Wearing it so boldly showed her confidence in the fact that they would not, could not, take it from her.

Daikomaru interpreted this second reasoning of hers, and it burned him up inside that such a miserable creature would dare to so openly defy him, though she’d spoken not one word. It was still early.

“Surely you know what it is that you agreed to do in exchange for your brother’s protection.” Daikomaru purred next, sitting himself down as well, quickly followed by his own mate.

Inuyasha mentally laughed at the poor attempt at getting under his skin, and responded with a “Yeah, I offered him my protection, as well.”

The tiger’s eyes narrowed for a moment. He could comment on that, but decided it would be unwise to come off so obviously harsh, so quickly. So instead, he replied with “As it should be between brothers.” with a sly smile, to which his smile increased when he saw Inuyasha nod his agreement while smiling as well.

Tsukie took that moment to attempt to engage in more innocent conversation, asking “So how long have you two been mated?”

Kagome smiled at the woman, whom she could sense held none of the same malice in her aura as did her mate, as she quietly answered “One year.”

Ahhh, she speaks…Daikomaru grinned…

“And Lord Sesshoumaru approved of your mating?”

How rude… Kagome’s smile did not waver, as she stated “Well, obviously.”

Inuyasha was proud of how easily Kagome was able to compose herself around the tiger youkai, but then he figured of course she could, she’s Kagome. He had no doubt she could feel the strength of their youki just as strongly as he could, if not perhaps even stronger, since he was just a hanyou and she was a very strong miko. Daikomaru’s aura was more threatening than Sesshoumaru‘s. He never thought it’d be possible to meet a youkai more powerful than his brother, but there he sat, across from him. But that did not mean he thought that the bastard could actually take his brother on. Having more raw power due to sheer size and age did not mean you also had the intelligence to know what to do with said power.

Kagome could very well sense the aura of the Tora Lord that sat across from her and Inuyasha, but she wasn’t worried, either. She had every confidence that with their combined force, should the East ever decide to actually move forward with an attack, they would be ready for them.

“And you are also with child, I see.” Daikomaru’s voice splintered the quick lived silence.

Kagome found it a little unsettling that youkai could all sense her pregnancy. I mean, she was only like what, three weeks along? She wouldn’t even know it yet herself were it not for her demonic mate. She hadn’t been plagued by “morning sickness” yet, and she certainly wasn’t showing. But pregnant was pregnant, so she supposed it didn’t really matter how early everyone knew. Smiling genuinely, she nodded and replied “You are correct.”

“Yet you continue to call yourself a miko?” he asked next. His voice was neutral, not harsh or condescending, and the air in which he’d asked his question was as simplistic as if he had merely asked her the time.

“I continue to be a miko.” she answered, not quite as politely, mentally allowing a small trace of her genuine annoyance at the line of questioning to show through. She knew she needed to keep her tongue and temper in check, but if she showed no emotional responses at all, one would think her simple.

“Forgive my ignorance, but are miko’s not required to remain pure?” The amusement in his demeanor was quite evident, indicating he was thoroughly enjoying himself at the moment.

“Your ignorance is forgiven.”

Inuyasha had to do a mental double take at what his mate just said. She actually reminded him a little of Kikyou in that moment, and while he would never voice such a comparison out loud, he gradually realized that Kagome was likely channeling that part of herself on purpose. Kikyou was calm, and collected, and extremely intelligent, and that was precisely the image Kagome likely wished to portray at the moment.

Feeling he better step up and say something before a genuine argument broke out, he interjected with “I thought you were here to interrogate me, not my mate.”

Daikomaru’s smile did not waver, as he addressed the hanyou next, with a faux air of concern as he stated “It was not my intention to ‘interrogate’ anyone. I apologize if that was what you assumed.”

Inuyasha had been plainly told to be himself, so to Daikomaru’s bogus apology, he replied simply with “Keh.”

The tora lifted an eyebrow at that, then proceeded with his next question, still addressing Inuyasha personally.

“So what are your plans as ruling partner?”

Kagome could not help but muse that the Eastern Lord’s tone of voice reminded her of an employer proceeding with a job interview. She wouldn’t be half surprised if his next question was “So where do you see yourself in five years?” Kagome hadn’t really the need to remind herself that the man before her was a potential enemy, and she knew she didn’t need to remind Inuyasha of that fact, either.

“Don’t really have any plans, just gonna take things as they come, settling disputes, helping villagers, killing enemies…” He let the list trail off.

Daikomaru did not miss the ‘killing enemies’ remark, and knew that it was directed towards himself. However, something else the hanyou said struck his curiosity at the moment.

“Helping villagers? Really now.”

“Keh, and why not? If they’re on our land-”

“Lord Sesshoumaru knew good to stay out of the affairs of man.” he interrupted with, adding “And even now that he’s got that little human girl at his heels, he still knows not to go sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong.”

Kagome was so proud of her mate for what he was saying, and so angry with Daikomaru for what he’d said in turn, that she knew she’d better hold her tongue, lest she fail where they had warned Inuyasha - watching the brass language.

“My brother may not involve himself with the lives of the humans living on our land, but I most certainly can if I want to. It’s my choice.” he countered most matter-of-factly, and it was true. Sesshoumaru didn’t care one way or the other, but Inuyasha was certainly not ‘forbidden’ from doing anything along the lines of what he spoke.

“Ahh,” Daikomaru muttered as if realizing something that had previously eluded him, “I forget that you are half human yourself, so you undoubtedly feel some sort of kinship to the species.”

“I seriously doubt anyone with a decent sense of smell could forget that I was half human.”

Kagome had to suppress a chuckle at that. Inuyasha had managed to successfully either insult Daikomaru’s sense of smell, or call him a liar.

The tiger’s eyes narrowed once more, but only briefly, before his mask was once again in place. Inuyasha recognized the mask for what it was, though, having so thoroughly acquainted himself with the mask his own brother wore. The only difference was that while Sesshoumaru simply removed emotion from his demeanor altogether, Daikomaru went out of his way to project a false air of mirthfulness.

“And besides,” Inuyasha added after a moment, quickly projecting his own tranquil aloofness, “Taking proper care of one’s lands includes taking care of the people on those lands.” he commented.

Daikomaru grinned. “I think you have being a Taiyoukai confused with being a human Emperor.” he chuckled openly, “You have no honor bound responsibility to the humans. They are not your ‘subjects.’” he teased.

“I think you have me confused with someone who cares what you think.” he stated rather bluntly, “Besides the fact that my mother was a Hime of Musashi,” the Eastern Lord raised an eyebrow at that unkown - yet irrelevant - information, “I would protect humans anyway, because it’s the right thing to do.”

“Are you sure it’s not just what your mate tells you to do?” he sneered, slowly losing his semblance of calm. “I cannot believe you would so willingly forsake your own kind.”

Kagome shot her head up at that remark, not missing the underlying insult to her humanity, but nonetheless, she smiled, somehow appearing even more like Kikyou as she did so, as though she had the entire mystery of the universe explained in a parchment she carried on her person, and she truly pitied the hapless soul whom sat before her.

“I do not command my husband’s sword.” she began, deliberately using the term husband despite the fact that they hadn’t yet had the wedding. “While it is true I am human, and therefore, human villagers are my kin, I am more so kin to youkai, in my heart.” For once, Daikomaru seemed speechless, staring utterly perplexed, while she continued… “I was not raised with the traditional miko training, and was not taught to believe that all youkai are evil. Moreover, I also recognize that not all humans are good. Inuyasha does not forsake his youkai heritage, and we do not blindly defend all humans we encounter against all youkai regardless of the situation.” she wished to clarify, “We protect the innocent from the wicked, in whichever direction that may go.”

Picking up right where she left off, Inuyasha spoke up next with “Who told you I merely meant slaying youkai when I said “protect” anyway?” he snorted, indicating he thought Daikomaru was a complete moron. “I meant protection in general, which also includes famine, drought, fire, winter…” He permitted his list to taper off once he was convinced his point had been made. While he initially hadn’t honestly given much thought along the lines of village protection outside of his own village, the more he argued his case, the more determined he was to see it through. There were a handful of human villages on his brother’s land, his land, and while he would live, and offer his full-time support to Kaede’s village, unquestioningly, he would, in a heart beat, run to the aid of any other village that sought his aid, and he would spread word as such.

“Well,” Tsukie suddenly voiced, after having been silent for, she deemed, far too long. “I think that’s rather commendable.” Her mate flashed her a warning look, but she ignored it, continuing with “We’ve heard all about your deeds as you traveled across the lands, as have many…” Her smile widened, and both Kagome and Inuyasha could instantly tell that her smile was genuine “…and I find that it’s a relief to know that there are those who would still stand up against the evils of this world.”

“Woman…” Daikomaru growled low, “I would speak with you.” he gestured towards the exit.

“And leave our company alone? Nonsense. That would be rude, we are their guests.”

Suddenly, Kagome and Inuyasha both had a hard time suppressing their snickers again. It was quite obvious that Tsukie was fully aware of what she was doing. The tigress more or less put her mate in his place when she refused to depart with him, so that he could obviously put her in her place, instead. Short of physically dragging her out of the chamber, which she seriously doubted he would, she felt confident that the “line of questioning” as it were, was coming to a close, her way.

“Do you plan on settling down in the castle, or staying in your village?” she asked them next.

Daikomaru’s gaze upon her softened some, when he realized she’d asked a very logical question. Very logical indeed. They would need to know if the hanyou chose to remain in the castle, because if he did, that may prove a factor they’d later have to take into consideration. He could feel the strength of the late Inu no Taisho’s fang, even as it rested in its dormant state, but at least he was fairly certain that, outside of his sword, Inuyasha held no real power. The miko, on the other hand, was worth further investigation. While he could feel an immense power radiating from her, he was uncertain as to precisely where her power ended, and the jewel’s power began. It was very possible, likely even, that the massive amount of power everyone sensed from her was merely the jewel, and nothing more. Regardless of that fact, however, so long as she remained in possession of said jewel, she could still prove to be just as formidable. So it was with a genuine smile that Daikomaru bid his farewells for the evening once they had decided to go their separate ways for the night. The half-breed had said that he and his mate would in fact be remaining as fixtures in the insignificant human village that bordered the forest of his namesake. Just as well, he supposed with a mild shudder, as the feel of the Shikon no Tama’s power slowly receded the further away they became. It would be best, he surmised, were his plans to succeed, that they be carried out when the pair was not present. Considering the little miko was already with child would prove to be quite beneficial. All he had to do was wait just a few more months. Surely, half-breed or no, Inuyasha had enough sense not to let his pregnant mate go charging into battle.

Tsukie tried her best to stifle her sigh as she followed her mate back to their assigned chambers for the evening. She knew he was up to no good, thinking his sinister thoughts. She hadn’t missed the way his eyes had flashed red once more as he’d observed the miko’s departure.