InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Tora! Tora! Tora! ( Chapter 57 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================





Chapter 57 - Tora! Tora! Tora!






“Look out!”

Inuyasha heeded his brother’s call just in time to dodge the overhead strike. Damn birds. They could throw out energy attacks similar to his soul shattering iron claw.

“Dance of Blades!”

Well, he smirked, that took care of those birds.

“Nice shot!” he called back to his brother’s mate, just as he prepared to swing Tetsusaiga towards yet another entourage of lesser neko.

Kagura was also with-pup, but didn’t have the luxury of staying out of the fight, unfortunately. They had attacked, quite literally, where they lived, and Kagura for one, wasn’t about to hide in the illusionary safety of her room, while her mate battled for his life right outside her window. They had been prepared for this day, and with the exception of Wenying, whose sole duty was to protect Rin, every manner of youkai that inhabited the castle was engaged in battle.

His members of the guard made up the first line, and it was literally cat against dog, as some battled in their human forms, weapons drawn, while others chose to forgo that approach, in favor of their natural strength. Jaken, from the relative safety of Ah-Un’s back, shot out flame after flame with the staff of two heads, setting the battlefield ablaze. They were outnumbered, but Kagura was able to help even their odds using her dance of the dead, to control some of those who had already fallen.

Sesshoumaru desired his mate to battle no more so than Inuyasha had, however, he knew it couldn’t be helped. Kagura carried with her Tenseiga, both of them knowing that should she fail to escape a blast aimed in her direction, the sword of Heaven should save her. That of course meant that Sesshoumaru was lacking the same protection, however, and he battled all the more fiercely because of it.

Her cry of “Dance of Dragons!” could be heard overhead, the inu brothers’ only warning to get the hell out of the way, before the group of neko they had both been paired against was suddenly disbanded.

Kagura was strong before, but don’t screw with a pregnant bitch protecting her family.

Daikomaru, for his part, ordered his minions to stick to the lesser pray, while he took to the air atop a floating cloud of youki, similar to the one Sesshoumaru could produce. The Western Taiyoukai in question quickly joined his opponent in the sky, and in what appeared to be a battle among the gods themselves, they fought, sword against sword.

“Wind Scar!” could be heard bellowed loudly over the battlefield, and suddenly, the rather large flock of youkai birds that had been sneaking up on Sesshoumaru from behind were no more.

Several neko youkai, mostly tora, surrounded him then, and one by one, Inuyasha quickly cut them down. It easily helped to fuel his anger when they continued to spout the nonsense that a weak hanyou such as himself would make an easy victim. Inuyasha found himself wishing he could take the time to kill them more slowly, so he’d have time to taunt them, and throw their stupidity back in their faces, but for the time being, he knew he had to remain focused, and keep his emotions in check, just like his brother…

“Kagura!”

Hearing Sesshoumaru shout his mate’s name with so much panic in his voice caused Inuyasha to look up instantly, just in time to see a huge energy blast heading straight for where she floated on her feather, unable to move quickly due to being surrounded by yet more bird youkai who were deliberately blocking her path.

“Shit.” the hanyou cursed loudly, before swiftly pulling Tetsusaiga’s sheath from his obi, and flinging it towards her as quickly as possible. It was better than waiting to rely on Tenseiga alone…just in case.

“Kagura! Grab the sheath!” Inuyasha called, just before a tora from behind successfully managed to tear its claws into his shoulder. “Ahhh!” he cried, more in anger than pain, as he swiftly whipped around, decapitating the foul beast.

Kagura, trapped upon her feather, but yet not daring to touch down with the intensity of the battle taking place below her, reached with all her might and managed to wrap her nimble fingers securely around the scabbard’s body not two seconds before the blast hit, safely deflected now by the sheath’s barrier, which recognized her as family and did not reject her. With her immediate danger subsided, the wind-youkai whipped out her fan, and quickly eliminated the bird youkai that had been blocking her flight path.

Looking around himself, Inuyasha found that the stink of blood was everywhere, and his hearing, he found, did him no good either, everything being a jumbled collection of metal on metal, and battle cries. Using his sense of sight then, as it was currently his most reliable one, he scouted the lands before him, taking inventory of the deaths each side had suffered. They were grossly outnumbered, but that was because the East had brought with them scores upon scores of lesser youkai, utilized almost as animals. One could consider them attack dogs, were it not for the fact that they were technically cats. But regardless of what they were, they were beasts, and they were fierce, and they were many. Sesshoumaru’s army certainly had their hands full, as each man took out dozens after dozens of furry claw and fang machines.

Inuyasha, for his part, found himself suddenly the target of each one of Daikomaru’s higher soldiers, as the Tora no Taisho himself battled one-on-one with his greatest foe. The hanyou did not tire easy, but he was getting tired. It had been early evening by the time Myouga had reached him, and he’d run all the way there, nonstop. It was now well into nightfall, and after having leapt straight into battle upon his arrival, he found, he had now been engaged in straight battle for several hours. All of that was on an empty stomach too, as he’d skipped dinner.

“Damn it all!” he cursed, as another swing of Tetsusaiga took out yet another soldier.

They were strong, and they were fast, and they did not grant him the honor of each trying to defeat him one at a time. No, they all ganged up on him, quite unfairly, and Inuyasha found himself unable to stand still for more than two consecutive seconds before an attack would be headed his way. The only positive thing going for him in that moment would have to have been the fact that he was not up against any great youkai weapon, comparable to his own sword. No, the neko soldiers all possessed rather common blades; those who chose to use a blade at all, that is. Most attacked with their claws, and while their attacks were youki in nature, they weren’t beyond what he could handle. His clothes were torn to shreds, but with the exception of his kosode, the rips were slowly mending themselves as his battle waged on. He had superficial wounds all over his arms, legs, and face, but so far, the only ones to fall had been his enemies.

“Fucking honorless beasts!” one of Sesshoumaru’s soldiers shouted, as he slashed through the two lower-level tora that had pounced on him.

Cats may hold a grudge for seven generations, but there wouldn’t be any next generations if the inu soldiers had anything to say about it. Even the few remaining neko soldiers of the West proved their loyalty, as they spat their disdain for the cowardly acts of their own kind, remorseful for their own feline blood, as they battled with honor beside their canine brethren.

Sesshoumaru could not take a moment to gaze upon the battlefield below him, however, as his own war in the sky continued to wage. Daikomaru was the exception when it came to demonic weaponry, possessing his own sword of great power, constructed from the claw of a dragon. The blade was given a simple name, Ryuushi (dragon death), and it seemed to fit the sword perfectly. The strength of Toukijin appeared to be no match, Daikomaru’s blade able to absorb its greatest attack, Dragon Strike. One would assume no less from a weapon of that caliber.

Still, Sesshoumaru dodged his enemy’s counterattacks effortlessly, or at least, what would seem effortlessly, as his composure faltered for all but two seconds, as was seen in the flash of crimson that crept into his vision.

Daikomaru chuckled.

Inuyasha looked up at the sound. It was the kind of chuckle that raised the hackles on the back of one’s neck. The kind of laugh that made the bravest of soldiers want to run for cover. Even the Tora no Taisho’s own soldiers paused in their battle, as everyone gazed upward at the man who currently held his sword erect, pointed toward the heavens. Then, a sickening feeling crept into the pit of Inuyasha’s stomach, as he saw the swirl of dark clouds appear, reminding him so much of the presence of Naraku. What light had been present by the mere quarter moon was quickly blackened, as it, as well as the canopy of stars above them, were all shrouded behind a thick layer of kuroyouki. Slowly, menacingly so, the clouds funneled, the bottom edge of which swirling around Daikomaru’s blade, as though the sword was absorbing the very powers of the dark energy that surrounded them. That was, precisely, what it was doing.

“Sesshoumaru!” Kagura screamed in panic, “Get away from there!” she ordered, as she flew her feather directly into the line of fire.

“Kagura!” Inuyasha shouted after her in return, knowing Tetsusaiga’s sheath was no where near strong enough to repel that much power.

Chuckling again, Daikomaru snickered quietly to himself “Two for the price of one.” before lowering his arm, his blade seemingly glowing despite its blackened appearance.

“Jigoku no Kaminari!!” (Thunder of Hell) he shouted, while swiping his blade in their direction, the blast sent forth lighting the sky and blinding its targets.

“Sesshoumaru!” Inuyasha cried as he made a lunge for his brother, heedless of the danger he would be putting himself in.

“No my Lord!” Kobushi ordered, the autumn haired shiba-inu lunging for Inuyasha in return, all previous hostility he’d felt for the half-breed having had time to dissipate in the desperation of battle. He knew that should Sesshoumaru fall, Inuyasha would be the sole ruler of the Western Lands.

The blast of blinding light spread further as contact was made with its target, but surprisingly enough, no scream of pain was heard, as the light faded, the clouds of dark energy all dissipating in exhaustion from expelling such a force, leaving the peaceful night sky to once again shine with the twinkle of stars.

“What is this?” Daikomaru gawked in disgust.

Kagura, disobeying direct orders to keep herself as safe as possible, had succeeded in reaching her mate, flying her feather directly into his embrace, forcing her rounded body directly against Sesshoumaru’s mere seconds before Daikomaru’s energy struck them. The magic of his father’s fang saved them both, as Inuyasha saw the semi-ghostly images of both his brother and sister-in-law rematerialize safely upon the ground. Tenseiga had transported them in the same manner as the blade had spared Sesshoumaru from Inuyasha’s own Wind Scar attack three years prior. The frantic hanyou in question shrugged his arm out of Kobushi’s grip, as he released the breath he’d known he’d been holding, as he saw that all three of his family members were still all right. Brother, brother’s mate, and future niece or nephew.

“Don’t you ever do anything that stupid ever again!” Sesshoumaru bellowed, his panic and relief both overly apparent, as he deliberately ignored any attempt at masking his emotions.

Inuyasha tried not to smile, as he realized how deeply Sesshoumaru must love Kagura, recalling the identical words he’d once yelled at his own mate. The moment of peace soon expired, as he quickly turned to once again block the attacks of Daikomaru’s soldiers, who had too come to their senses since the light show had faded. With most of the lesser youkai finally eliminated, Inuyasha found that now, he was not battling alone, as he was joined by Kobushi, Kososhi, and several other guard and staff members that had previously shunned his existence.

Turning, Tetsusaiga’s blade came into contact with another’s, and his eyes widened when he realized that he was gazing into the darkened gaze of none other than Neisho, the informant.

“Traitorous scum!” he screamed as he pushed the neko back, preparing to raise his blade for a fatal strike, before the body of his enemy suddenly fell to pieces before him.

Standing where Neisho had once stood, was Nekobi, a female neko member of staff. Wiping her bloodied claws on her yukata, she bowed her head. “My Lord…” she greeted quickly, before running off, in search of the next enemy to slay.

Shaking his head in amused disbelief, he smirked when he realized they were quickly evening the odds, as the various battles were all becoming more one-on-one. They did lose their angle of the soldiers of the dead when Kagura’s concentration was focused on saving the life of her mate, but even so, with most of the lesser beats defeated, it was only a matter of time before the higher soldiers fell as well.

After finally persuading Kagura to retreat to the safety of the castle, several members of guard, along with Jaken, were removed from the battlefield with orders of protecting their Mistress. Sesshoumaru joined his brother, then, as the two faced off, back to back, against the remaining warriors that stood before them. Inuyasha smirked at his brother’s obvious desire to protect not only his mate, but also that small kappa servant of his. Jaken was loyal, and would undoubtedly give his life for his Lord, but with his relative lacking in battle skills, dying was almost certainly what he would have eventually done. Now, with his charges in relative safety, the elder inu brother felt more confident to give his full 100% focus on the battle before him, without having to keep tabs on their locations. The Taiyoukai sneered as he began to engage the remaining neko, whom he considered a nuisance at best. Though they were men, the soldiers of the East, most appeared more feline in appearance than human. Most were weaker in status that Sesshoumaru, or even Inuyasha. Their snarling, furry, tailed bodies were disbanded relatively easily, with the powers of Dragon Strike and Backlash Wave, as the brothers of the fang eliminated their remaining enemies in one single, immense blast of youki that nearly succeeded in destroying the very clearing in which they battled.

Crouching, and huffing for breath, neither Sesshoumaru nor Inuyasha were granted the time to recuperate from having expelled so much energy, before a horrendous cry of “YOU!” was heard with such force, it shook the very earth they stood upon.

“Oh fuck me…”

Sesshoumaru chose not to comment, though his thoughts were running along similar lines as his brother’s, as they witnessed what rose before them. Once again blocking out the light of the moon, that time with his very being, Daikomaru stood before them in his truest form. Inuyasha, stunned and momentarily frozen, glanced at his side just in time to see an immense three-legged dog take to the skies, drops of acidic salivation steaming upon the ground where they fell from the force of his flight. Turning his head rather slowly, still in shock, Inuyasha followed his brother’s path with his eyes, as he saw the two Taiyoukai engage in the sky once more, his brother, in his true form, appearing in size as nothing more than a parrot on the tiger’s shoulder.

Shaking his head free from his hesitation then, Inuyasha cleared his mind just in time to hear the words that were, in fact, aimed towards himself, as the massive beast roared “You are not so much an enemy as a thorn in my side!” right before the giant tiger swiped his claws in his direction.

Bracing to counter the energy attack that was swiftly encroaching upon his position, all Inuyasha could think of was to thank the gods that Kagome wasn’t there.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````


Insomnia was quickly becoming her best friend, as Kagome found herself relishing in her restlessness, after the nightmare she’d just had. She had tried, reluctantly, to heed her husband’s demands without complaint. She knew he was only looking out for her safety, as well as the safety of their unborn child, and for that, she could find no fault. But even so, the miko could not shake the nagging feeling in the back of her mind insisting that she should be there, by his side, right now.

Dinner was quiet, neither her nor Shippo knowing precisely just how to break the silence that had encompassed itself within their hut. She had thought, momentarily, of going to stay with Sango and Miroku for the evening, but decided against it, not wishing to impose herself upon them, and trouble them with her worries. Kagome also knew that Miroku would likely agree with Inuyasha’s demand that she stay home, while Sango would undoubtedly agree with Kagome’s intuition that her place was beside her husband, aiding him in battle. The last thing she wanted to do was cause an argument between her two best friends, so she stayed home.

Silently, it had been agreed that Shippo would be staying with her that night, in the main bedchamber, but restful sleep eluded both of them that night, replaced with paranoia, and disturbing dreams that appeared far too real to be merely that. Kagome, just recently, was thrust into wakefulness at the image of her mate’s unmoving body lying in a pool of crimson liquid. His eyes were open, yet unseeing, and as red as the blood that surrounded him. Unable to shake the feelings the sight had given her, Kagome was mournfully thankful that she was unable to rekindle her state of slumber, lest the images return.

Laying in the still darkness of their room, duel heartbeats thundering out to her, Kagome was finally able to find a voice, after what had now been roughly six hours since he’d left her, piercing the silence with the unquestioning statement “You’re awake.”

“So are you.” came the unhesitant reply, as Shippo acknowledged his own awareness of the situation at hand.

“There’s no sense in both of us losing sleep.” Kagome said next, in a softer whisper, her motherly instincts kicking in, wishing her child to get the rest she knew he needed, ever hopeful that it would prove more restful than her own attempt had been.

“I’m worried about Otou.” he mumbled, and in response, she wound her arms around his small body, as she whispered “Me too.”

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````

Not having had the energy to pull off a Backlash Wave strong enough to fully deflect Daikomaru’s attack, Inuyasha was thankful that at least he’d managed to successfully soften the blow somewhat, as he felt his body being flung backward, until he smashed rather painfully against a nearby tree. Actually, Inuyasha was thankful to simply realize that he was still conscious, and therefore, able to be thankful for anything.

I’m still alive?

Shaking his head and coming to, he gazed down upon himself, to discover Tetsusaiga’s sheath resting peacefully upon his nearly bare chest. The blast had all but disintegrated his clothing, but somewhere, somehow, in the last second, Kososhi, he realized, had chucked his scabbard back at him, aiding even further in his survival. That hypothesis was confirmed when he managed to sit himself up enough to gaze across the nearly barren battlefield, catching the liaison’s worried stare shift to relief, as he gazed at him long enough to be sure he would rise again, before returning his focus to the battle taking place amongst the stars.

Fortunately, for them all, Sesshoumaru’s missing limb did not hinder his agility in flight, and his smaller size gave him the advantage of stealth, as he speedily swirled around his enemy, delivering bite after painful, poisonous, bite. But with one mighty swing of his right front paw, the size of which matched with that of Sesshoumaru’s entire body, the Tiger Lord flung his enemy across the sky, a rather loud yelp giving off a Doppler effect as his body was temporary gone from sight.

“Join the others in the castle.” Inuyasha commanded, as he staggered to his feet, preparing to face off against the monstrosity that was the Tora no Taisho.

“Lord Inuyasha?” Koshoshi questioned hesitantly.

“Do it!” he ordered, and Koshoshi, along with the few other scattered inu who had so far lived, and remained, all heeded his command, as they retreated to safety. “Protect Kagura!” the hanyou ordered after them, letting them know that he understood what they all understood. Should Sesshoumaru fall, he would be the Lord in his stead, but if the child survived, it would still be Sesshomar’s heir, and not his own, that would continue the ruling line.

“Do you honestly think you have even the slightest of chances against me?” Daikomaru sneered, his breath rancid, a gaseous miasma that threatened to suffocate.

“Not really.” Inuyasha agreed offhandedly, raising his blade, and resting it upon his shoulder, “But that doesn’t mean I’m about to give up!”

He charged.

“Half-human fool!” his enemy laughed, as he sent blast number two in his direction.

Inuyasha barely had enough time to realize what had hit him before he found himself flying backwards, cuts and tears appearing in his flesh, where the fire-rat no longer existed to protect him. Landing with more force than he’d thought possible from gravity alone, he grimaced when he realized he was still conscious, finding himself honestly wishing otherwise, in that moment. Attempting to stagger to his feet once more, he instinctively reached for Tetsusaiga, knowing his body would need it to lean upon, as he felt many of his bones were likely broken. So it was with a horror filled expression that he realized the blade was not within reach, and upon lifting his head, he saw that it was, in fact, nowhere in sight.

“What…the hell?” he wheezed out, managing to find his feet somehow, regardless.

His heart thundered in his ears, the stench of blood filling his nose, and his eyes, he found, were burning from the stench of Daikomaru’s taunts. Spotting his sword a good fifty feet away, lodged rather successfully through the thick trunk of the same tree that bore an earlier indention caused by his own head, he grimaced. He had to make it to his sword!

“Oh no you don’t.” Daikomaru laughed, spitting fireballs at his “opponent” as he ran. From Daikomaru’s point of view, Inuyasha, dodging between his attacks, backtracking and lunging forward, only to backtrack once more, appeared very much so as what we would associate with being like that classic video game Frogger.

A string of rather undignified curses flowed freely from our hanyou’s lips, as he attempted to dodge the blasts Daikomaru sent his way, fully aware of the fact that the Tora no Taisho was merely fucking with him.

Why doesn’t that bastard just kill me and be done with it? he cursed absently to himself, as his latest attempt to reach his sword was found to also be for not.

“What’s the matter?” he teased, “Puppy too scared to fight without his daddy’s help?”

Inuyasha knew better than to fall for his taunting, as he did his best to ignore him, trying once more to rush for his sword, only to stop in dismay when he saw a horrendous fireball engulf the tree in flames, the back draft from which succeeded in knocking him back to where he’d first started.

Inuyasha was convinced he was done for, when a viscous roar not belonging to the tiger suddenly sounded through the sky.

Sesshoumaru… he realized, as he permitted his protesting body a few moments of tranquility, as he lay still, praying his enemy would now be distracted. It’s about fucking time

“Hmmm, it appears you pests are both harder to be rid of than I’d first imagined.” he heard the Eastern Lord comment offhandedly, “Time to even the playing field.”

That statement, he found, was cause for panic, and Inuyasha managed to lift his head just in time to see a huge blast of youki heading right for him.

Not again! he freaked, as he somehow managed to reach for Tetsusaiga’s sheath just in time.

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!”

Sesshoumaru, eyes red and focused on his enemy, watched from the corner of his vision in horror, as he saw his half-brother’s body tumble loosely, like a rag doll, falling to the ground with a dull thud, not two feet from the broken scabbard that had saved him, just barely.

Not permitting his attention to waver, he squared off against Daikomaru in that instant, attempting to ignore the feeling of panic he suddenly felt welling up inside of him, as his youki sensed the sudden pulse that resonated from the ground below.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````

Bolting to her feet, the suddenness of the act surprising both herself as well as Shippo - despite the fact that both of them had been laying quite awake for the last two and a half hours - Kagome suddenly and wordlessly ran from the room, clutching her chest all the while.

“What’s wrong?!” Shippo asked frantically, never before having felt so much panic radiate in his mother’s aura as he did in that moment.

“Your father needs me, now.” the miko stated matter-of-factly, as she frantically grabbed her bow and quiver, stuffing it chock-full of arrows, while she desperately fought for mental concentration against the sensations of pain that she knew were not her own.

For her to feel Inuyasha’s suffering that strongly, from that far away…she didn’t even want to allow herself time to think about it, as she concentrated on her arrows.

“I’m going with you!”

“Absolutely not.”

“But-”

“Shippo!”

Upon seeing his panicked expression, she softened hers, lowering herself to one knee, as she placed her hand gently upon his shoulder. “I’m sorry honey, but I have to ask you stay behind. It’ll be far too dangerous for you where I’m going, and besides…” she paused, offering him a smile, delighting in seeing him smile in return. “I have an important task for you, and I’m quite serious when I say that.”

Rising to her feet and stepping away from him, she made her way back into the bedroom, and retrieved the small wooden box that rested upon her desk. Shippo’s eyes lit up with understanding and pride, mixed with worry and fear, over the severity of what he was quickly realizing was the situation at hand.

“I need you to guard the jewel for me while I’m gone.”

Nodding silently, he accepted the small box as she placed it in his hands. The wards she kept around the jewel were different from the ones she’d used in emergency before. The jewel possessed no taint that required purification, so she’d constructed simple masking wards, designed to suppress its aura from being detectable, and nothing more. The wards would not purify a youkai should one come into contact with them. Though she and Inuyasha had argued over it, his logic being that having purifying wards would provide just that much more security against an evil youkai, her argument won out, stating that should she, for any reason, need either himself, or Shippo, to hand her the jewel, or take it elsewhere, then the purifying wards would cause them harm. Now, she was glad she’d won that particular argument.

“Take it.” she stated, swinging her quiver over her shoulder, “Take it and run to Kaede’s. She’ll help you protect it.”

Nodding his understanding once more, the fox-child found his voice as he asked “Is Inuyasha all right?”

“He’s fine.” Kagome assured him, no matter how much doubt she felt regarding that statement. At least, he’s still alive…That much she could tell, thanks to their bond.

Running outside, her kitsune pup hot on her heels, Kagome frantically made her way into the heart of the village, the pair splitting up as Shippo darted off towards Kaede’s hut, while Kagome headed for another residence.

“Sango!” she screamed, while pounding her fists against the doorframe.

Clutching her bulging belly to quell the rising nausea her nervousness was causing her, Kagome realized she’d never been so thankful for Inuyasha’s birthday present as she was on that night. The youkai properties of her miko ensemble had allowed the material to grow with her, thus she was never in need of separate, maternity clothing. Even at seven months pregnant, her protective chihaya and hibakama fit her perfectly.

“Kagome! What is it?” Sango asked frantically, upon stumbling to the door only to find her dearest friend panic stricken and near tears, arrows upon her back and bow in hand.

“Kirara! I need Kirara!”

“Of course!” the slayer answered quickly, despite her confusion. “What’s going on?”

“Inuyasha….Western Lands….attack….needs help….” the miko panted.

“Calm down…take a deep breath…” These were the soothing words of Miroku, who had appeared in the doorway behind his wife.

“I can’t calm down!” she screamed. “He needs me now! I can feel it!”

“Kirara!” Sango screamed, but the nekomata was already outside, and upon hearing her Mistress’ call, she roared in acknowledgment, growing to her full size in a burst of flame.

Sango and Miroku both knew it would do no good to argue with Kagome in her current state, and they also knew that the fact of the matter was, if she was that frantic, then she was most likely correct in her beliefs. They’d come to trust her miko intuition as accurate over the years, not to mention the fact that her soul was literally bonded to her mate’s, and she could, to a point, feel what he felt. Sango’s eyes pleaded with her husband, and he could tell his warrior woman longed to accompany her friend, but at the same time, they also both knew that their skills, as advanced as they may be, would be no match against what they’d learned of Lord Daikomaru. Kagome was, in all honestly, likely the only one who could defeat him.

“Bring her back safely.” Sango whispered, but her friend’s advanced hearing detected it, and with a sad smile, Kagome glanced back and responded to her friend’s words with “Of course I will.” as she mounted her steed.

“I was speaking to Kirara.” Sango choked, and with a sympathetic gaze, Kagome waved her friends farewell as she took to the skies.