InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ The new routine ( Chapter 56 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================






Chapter 56 - The new routine




It didn’t take long at all to settle into their new routine. There was no regret in Kagome’s gaze, no remorse in her voice, when they spoke with the others, assuring them that they had finally returned for good. The well, though it technically still worked, was off limits. She had said her good-byes; there would be no point in prolonging anything any further. They planned on purifying the jewel as soon as possible, and then, the well would truly be sealed.

Sango could not wait for her dear friend to finally settle down, happy that life had truly seemed to bless them all. She had her own glow about her, around three months along in her own pregnancy by that point. She and Miroku had consummated their marriage every night, not that she complained, until (not so)little Shippo had informed them that their efforts had been successful. Sango was surprised, and overjoyed, to learn that Miroku - though a child had been his life-long ambition - did in fact not stop bedding with her as soon as he’d achieved his goal. She’d grown accustomed to his familiar ways over the years, and thanks to her continual talks with her futuristic friend, she finally accepted that it was okay for a woman to feel sexual desire, especially towards her own husband.

Miroku, for his part, couldn’t be happier that he didn’t have the traditional “Japanese wife” as it were. Sango was the exact opposite in every way imaginable. She wasn’t quiet, she wasn’t obedient, and she certainly wasn’t shy. She loved him with a passion, but wouldn’t put up with his shit for a second. If he so much as glanced at another woman (though glance was all he honestly did any more) she wouldn’t hesitate to call him on it, and if his hands found there way anywhere she deemed inappropriate (in public) it wouldn’t be long at all before a red hand print found its way upon his face.

Gods how he loved her.

Standing by while the women of their lives cackled and gossiped on all that had been missed over the last few months, Miroku and Inuyasha took a moment to gaze in each other’s directions, each offering the other their smile, as well as nod of approval. Everything was as it should be.

It wasn’t long before the group found itself maundering towards old Kaede’s hut, and for old time’s sake, the elder miko welcomed them all into her home. They talked long into the night, eating and laughing, and when the time for sleep finally came, cuddling. For Kaede, it was a sweet goodbye in its own right. Of course, no one would be leaving, from her perspective, as they all lived in the same village, but that was the last night her hut would be filled with the warmth of friends visiting around the fire pit. Idly, Kaede wondered when she’d come to crave their company, having always relished in the peace and tranquility of her solitary life. That was, before the day her sister’s reincarnation plunged into their world, and their lives, forever. Her world had been turned upside-down, and then some. The young hanyou, whom she’d once believed responsible for her sister’s death, was now her village’s bonafide protector, and unofficial ruler. Inuyasha had made it quite clear that he had no desire to take over the everyday duties of the village headman, wishing to maintain some semblance of his peaceful life with Kagome now that he had the weight of the West upon his shoulders, but the others still looked towards him for guidance and protection, regardless of his official status in the village. They still bowed whenever he passed by. They still called him Inuyasha-sama. The title had been foreign to him, outside of Myouga, for nearly his entire life, but amazingly enough, it didn’t seem to take him long at all to get used to it. Kaede never added the suffix when she addressed him, however, and for his part, Inuyasha still continued to call her Kaede-baba, despite the fact that the term was considered rather rude, and despite also the irony that he, himself, was in fact over twice her age. Kaede smiled to herself as her thoughts drifted from subject to subject, as she gradually submitted her body to sleep in her soon-to-be empty hut. No, just like Kagome, and just like the rest of Inuyasha’s friends, the elder miko found that she too wouldn’t have the rough hanyou any other way.

The hut will be unusually quiet without him around… she thought, and her last consideration before drifting off to sleep was whether or not she should perhaps get a pet.

````````

The morning came much to soon for most. Especially Sango, who upon waking, fought her way outside over the entangled bodies of her friends, making a mad dash for the door, emptying her stomach of what had once been her dinner.

Kagome sympathized. She knew she had been spared most of the side effects of pregnancy due to her youkai blood, and also due to the fact that the pup she was carrying was a hanyou. Her pup was strong, and healthy, and made its presence known on frequent occasions, but she never really felt sick, only tired.

Miroku sighed at what had become routine, and getting up, the ex-monk made his way outside to offer whatever comfort he could to his suffering wife. Surprisingly enough, Sango was in rather good spirits, all things considered. But Miroku audibly gulped when Kagome warned him not to get his hopes up, and that the major hormonal changes, including sudden cravings and mood swings, were yet to come.

After a reasonably quiet breakfast, which everyone was able to keep down, the rather large group split in two, each half making their way back towards their respective dwellings. Sango wobbled a bit with wooziness before finding her balance, and offered both her husband and brother a sincere smile as they made their way home, while Inuyasha guarded his mate’s breeding belly against the attacks of an overly enthusiastic kitsune.

“He’s just happy to see us.” Kagome stated reasonably, as Shippo darted around their feet, leaping up on Inuyasha repeatedly, since he wouldn’t leapt up on Kagome herself, and jumped from his shoulder to hers, and back again, then back to the ground, leading the way to their hut, all the while yelling things at them like “Come on!”, “Hurry up!” and “Just carry her!”

Raising an eyebrow at his wife, Inuyasha pointed out “I can carry you, if you want.”

“I’m fine,” she assured him, and it was the truth. “But I think your earlier practice on foot rubs is going to come in handy when we get there.”

He nodded his understanding and agreement, and Kagome could sense his sincerity. There would be no teasing, no tickling, no licking, and no mating. When it really mattered, when it counted most, Inuyasha dotted on her in the most loving of ways. He was a good mate.

===================================

Somewhere near the Eastern shore, further north from the Inu-Tachi’s village, the air was also a bustle of activity, as the resident Taiyoukai gathered information, and prepared his army.

“Are you sure you know what you’re doing?” Tsukie asked, almost condescendingly.

“Bah! Of course…” the tiger grinned. “No way will that hanyou permit his mate anywhere near the battle while she’s heavy with his offspring.”

Daikomaru had been biding his time, keeping tabs on the months, and planned on attacking when the miko would be at her most vulnerable. She was his only true worry. He knew he could handle those whelps without her interference. He and Toga had always come to stalemates, and there was no way his sons came close to matching him in power. In his truest form, Lord Daikomaru was nearly the size of a small village.

Oh, he was aware of Tetsusaiga, but he wasn’t too concerned. He should be able to knock the blade free from the half-breed’s hands easily enough, and then the mutt would be totally defenseless. As for Sesshoumaru, that miserable excuse for a Taiyoukai couldn’t battle in his true form even if he wanted to. How scary ws a three-legged dog? He’d be wise to keep his humanoid shape intact, attempting to use that miserable Toukijin of his. That sword was also of no concern to Daikomaru. Not when in all his glory. The fang of an oni posed no threat to him, and the fang of a canine? Don’t make him laugh. They’d be lucky if their attacks could even penetrate his fur, let alone his flesh.

===================================

It was over a month into autumn, and Kagome smiled as Shippo announced that he and Inuyasha had finished planting the seeds and sprouts that Kagome had acquired in her time. She had said she wanted to have a variety of foods, and there were several cool weather vegetables that would survive the winter freeze of Kaede’s village. It wouldn’t be long now before a small patch of tilled soil behind their hut sprouted to life with green leafy goodness. Ironically, she’d made sure that they’d planted plenty of broccoli, despite the fact that she’d loathed the stuff as a child.

Absently, Kagome reflected that it would have been cool, if she’d thought ahead, and had planted a small pumpkin patch. Though she wasn’t sure of the exact date, she knew it was likely somewhere around Halloween. Though, then again, nobody in the village would be familiar with the foreign holiday, and she also didn’t think it wise to expose the villagers to too many weird foods, and a squash indigenous to America would certainly fall under that category. Sighing, she smiled when she reminded herself that she hadn’t forgotten to say good-bye to her favorite Western pie, with whipped cream…oh oh! And pickles…

Pickles?

“Ah crap, the cravings are starting to kick in.”

“What was that?” asked Inuyasha, who had been chopping up firewood and hadn’t caught all of what she’d said.

“Nothing…” Kagome waved off absently, asking, “Hey, how hard would it be to get a vat of vinegar?”

“What for?”

“Never mind.”

Shrugging, the hanyou went back to chopping wood. It always amazed Kagome that he performed the act without any sort of an ax. From a distance, were someone unaware of his powerful claws, it would look as though he was karate chopping the logs in half.

Stopping after a couple more hours, Inuyasha gathered the wood up into an organized pile, knowing they would likely be needing much more by the time winter got there. Deciding he’d cut enough for the evening, though, he motioned for Shippo to follow him, as he made his way back inside their hut, where Kagome had already retired for the afternoon.

“Do you want to try the jewel again?” he asked

Shrugging absently, Kagome put down the book she’d been reading, while answering “I suppose we should keep trying.”

For the last two months, Kagome had tried to purify the jewel on an almost daily basis. While her powers were strong, even they seemed to prove to be not quite strong enough. She had purified the thing of every speck of taint, and Inuyasha could now hold it without fear. Oh sure, he’d held it a couple of times already, in the past, but not without a slight apprehension in the back of his mind, and usually, he held it by the chain, just to be sure. But now, the thing was white, not swirly, not pink, and most certainly not purple. It was the purest anyone had ever seen it, but yet, it still existed. They knew, according to Kikyou’s old belief, a truly selfless wish, an act of the utmost purity, would be enough to disband the jewel, but Kagome didn’t know how well she trusted that belief, when what Kikyou had wanted to do was robe Inuyasha of half of himself. Sure, if you wanted to get technical, ridding a hanyou of its youkai blood would be considered “purifying” but Kagome just couldn’t see how pure that wish could have truly been. Inuyasha had assured his mate that he believed Kikyou’s intentions had been genuine, and, at the time, he had truthfully been willing to accept the life of a human, but certainly not any longer. He no longer wished to be human any more than he desired to be a full youkai. Oh sure, he was gaining control over his youkai blood, but he still didn’t fully trust himself, and only permitted that side of himself to reign free with the knowledge that, should anything go wrong, Kagome could stop him in a heartbeat.

So now, here she was once again, concentrating on the jewel. She’d tried focusing her powers of purification on the object, but could no longer detect anything in it that needed purifying. It was pure.

But then why does it still exist?

It was almost as if the jewel knew something she didn’t.

Inuyasha even had the bright idea of wishing the jewel away, but that hadn’t worked either. So once again, exhausted for the night, Kagome wrapped the jewel up, and prepared for bed. She no longer wore the thing on her person, per Inuyasha’s orders. He almost never put his foot down about anything, not that he ever really had even in the past, because she always just sat him. But he’d been absolutely adamant that he refused to allow her to continue to wear that thing during her pregnancy, drawing attention to herself like she was wearing a big bright sign that said “Hey youkai of the world! Come and get me!”

She was beyond “a little” pregnant now, at nearly seven months, so her old excuse of being able to take care of herself because she was “only a little pregnant” was no longer valid. To be perfectly honest, though, Kagome was glad for it. There were times he could be a jerk, but even then, she knew it always stemmed from a place of love. Even back in the old days, back when they were still hunting the shards, and she’d traveled to the past between trips to school, whenever she’d had to leave for said institution, the reason he always threw such a hissy fit over it was because he hadn’t wanted her to go, because he would miss her while she was away.

She was never really just his shard detector. What right did he have to the jewel in the first place? He pointed that out to her as they lied spooned together, his hands gently cupping her swollen belly as he wondered…hadn’t she thought it odd, that supposed enemies, one who sought to steal the jewel from the other, could ever learn to get along, let alone fall in love? That Kaede was wiser than she let on, he admitted quietly. Kagome was the rightful keeper of the jewel, but she’d lacked the strength to hunt for the shards on her own. Inuyasha, who was more than able to hunt and defeat the various youkai who had obtained said shards, lacked the ability to sense them, and therefore, they were a perfect match. Only problem was, back in the early days, he had still had a mind to steal the jewel from her when it was all said and done, and even though she’d supposedly been aware of that little tidbit, it hadn’t seemed to bother her.

“You saw through me right from the start.” he purred in her ear as he snuggled into her back.

It never even occurred to the young miko that once the jewel was complete, they would once again be enemies. Maybe it was Kagome who was smarter than she let on.

“I hadn’t known it would take nearly three years.” she confessed, adding “I wouldn’t trade a single day of it for anything in the world.”

“Me either.” he whispered, as he kissed her temple.

Glancing across the room, at her desk, he spied the box which now contained said jewel, wrapped securely in one of her wards, just as she’d done in the past. It successfully prevented most youkai from being able to detect its presence, and the stronger, smarter ones, knew better than to dare risk attacking their village, because it was now under the protection of Lord Sesshoumaru, not to mention Lord Inuyasha. But even those who still wouldn’t offer the hanyou prince the honor or respect that he deserved, knew better than to screw with the current Inu no Taisho. With word spread that the small human village was under the direct protection of the Taiyoukai himself, Inuyasha knew that they pretty much had nothing to worry about.

=======================================

With his army gathered, Lord Daikomaru looked down over his troops. Yes, his was an impressive army. Nearly every neko youkai in the region had heeded his call, and those who hadn’t, would be properly dealt with later. Also under his command were several large species of bird youkai, providing the aerial assault he so desired. Sesshoumaru wouldn’t know what hit him, and it was now only a matter of time, Daikomaru smirked, before the Western lands would be his!

=======================================

All was peaceful in Inuyasha’s village for about two more weeks, until suddenly, they received word from Myouga, on the evening of autumn’s second waning quarter moon. Inuyasha had been outside, taking advantage of what light remained to cut up yet more firewood. He wasn’t chopping wood only for himself and his mate, after all, but also for his friends, as well as most of the village. Inuyasha took his role of protector very seriously. Hot and sweaty, despite the dropping temperature, he’d been dressed in only his hakama, when an itch followed by a stinging sensation, and the nagging desire to swat at the location, brought his attention to his small, yet loyal confidant.

```````

“What is it?!” Kagome asked frantically, as Inuyasha suddenly stormed into their hut.

“The West is under attack.” he stated matter-of-factly, as he hurriedly put on his kosode and suikan.

“I’m going with you.”

“Like hell you are!”

“This is my fight too!” she protested.

“No it aint!” Kagome was startled by the amount of fear in his voice. “Your place is right here, taking care of that pup in your belly.” he spoke softer. “He needs his mother to look out for him right now, first and foremost.”

She’s just fine.” Kagome argued, relieved to see the smallest of smiles appear on her husband’s face at the small joke, no matter how briefly. “Besides, my powers will be needed, and you know it.”

“I bet Daikomaru knows it too, which is why he chose now to attack.” the hanyou commented absently, sheathing Tetsusaiga.

“Then, let me come with you.”

“Absolutely not.”

“But-”

“NO!”

Kagome gasped in surprise when her mate’s eyes flashed to red, then back again.

“Damn it Kagome, for once I’m putting my foot down!” he barked gruffly, adding “Bitch Stay!” in an actual bark, knowing damn well his human mate understood the Inu language fluently by that point.

Without pausing to glance behind him, not wishing to see for himself the tears he could already smell, he was gone.