InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ The Labor of our Fruits ( Chapter 64 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================






Chapter 64 - The Labor of our Fruits




Carefully, delicately, Inuyasha assisted his mate with her dressing, though not into the complicated and panted ensemble of her miko status. Clad in a thin night yukata, with a heavier outer kimono robe placed over it for warmth, he quickly cried out to their adoptive son, awaking Shippo from his slumber.

“What’s wrong?!” the child cried as he frantically burst into their room, hearing the panic in his father’s voice.

“Feh, nothing, brat..” Inuyasha started rather sarcastically, as though Shippo already knew what was going on, which he belatedly realized he didn’t. “Your okaa’s ‘bout to whelp your sibling, is all.” he added, softening his gaze, only to have the harshness of his previous stare replace itself upon the kitsune’s face.

Wordlessly, Shippo nodded his understanding, eyes wide, posed at the ready, to take off in a run at moment’s notice, as he awaited his instructions.

“Run ahead and help Kaede prepare.” Inuyasha stated, as he kept his eyes on Kagome as he helped her walk. When he glanced back, Shippo was gone.

Pausing only for a moment, to grab the jewel that he dared not leave behind unattended, no matter the circumstances, he was back at Kagome’s side before she’d even noticed his absence. She could sense the jewel on his person, however, and gazing at him, her eyes spoke the question her lips were too tired to utter, as she focused on her breathing.

“Especially now, we can’t let this thing fall into the wrong hands.” he answered her unasked question, and in that moment, Kagome decided against arguing the situation.

She agreed the jewel couldn’t be left behind, but what she was going to insist was that she carry it herself, before silently shaking the thought free before it even left her lips. Good thing too, since she was sure she’d just avoided one hell of a fight, not that she probably couldn’t use the distraction, she thought painfully, as her grip of him tightened during another contraction.

It wasn’t that she didn’t trust Inuyasha, which Kagome was afraid would be how he’d have taken it. She knew the jewel was safe in her husband’s possession. She knew Inuyasha had no desire for the thing, except merely to see it finally disappear from their world forever, taking with it the constant danger that it represented. Perhaps one could say that it was unwise to have it among them, especially when Kagome was about to be at her weakest, but it was no less wise than leaving it unattended in an empty hut, just waiting for a youkai strong enough to sense it through her wards to come for it, answering the beck and call the thing always seemed to possess over all youkai, except for those who had either learned their lesson the hard way, or, like Sesshoumaru’s staff, comprehended the fact that the consequences outweighed the rewards. Hell, in an emergency, she was even sure that Kirara would help them protect the jewel. The nekomata had certainly never shown any interest in the thing before. Probably because like Sesshoumaru himself, who was also genuinely uninterested in the trinket, she was so old, and so powerful, that she thought that to acquire unearned power in the form of some bobble would…dishonor her.

Speaking of Kirara, the once-sleeping youkai had easily heard, even from several huts down, the frantic cries of one kitsune child, as he called old Kaede’s name over and over in a rushed breath, going on to say once he was inside the hut that Kagome was having the pup, and that Inuyasha was bringing her. Deciding not to rouse her human companions, knowing her own mistress, in her current condition, could certainly use as much uninterrupted rest as she could get, Kirara knew it would be hours, if not days, before the newest member of their tachi joined the world. She did, however, keep her ears deftly tuned to the goings on outside the elder’s hut, awaiting the voices that assured her both Inuyasha and Kagome had arrived safely at Kaede’s unhindered.

Exiting the hut, Inuyasha insisted upon carrying his bride, and Kagome offered little to no protest, muttering something under her breath about how heavy she knew she was, which he promptly ignored, lifting her as effortlessly as he always had. She knew he was strong. Hell, he’d lifted a bolder over his own height in diameter, completely up and over his head, with one hand. How much did a thing like that even weigh? Nine tons? Ten? He could most certainly carry a nine-month pregnant woman, which was precisely what he was doing, as he walked with her gently, holding her bridal style, as he soothed whispers through her hair about how it wouldn’t be long now, and how he’d be right there, and how he was so proud of her. Never once did the presumed sex of the baby leave his lips.

She smiled as she permitted her head to drift back in her tiredness, opening her mind to sense her husband’s sincerity, as well as the jewel that rested dormant against his breast, not inches from where her head currently rested, separated only by the folds of his kimono. Again she decided to remain silent regarding the jewel, lest he misinterpret her complaints. No, it wasn’t about trust, it was about duty, her duty, and her current inability to perform said duty that made her feel weak. She knew she was better off letting him protect the jewel, so she’d leave the subject alone; she had more important things to worry about at the moment.

Why was it that humans always felt weak when they were, in fact, at their strongest?

As Inuyasha carried her, he could feel her emotions through the link she seemed to have unintentionally opened. Not that he couldn’t always feel what she was feeling, but it was stronger when the effort was put forth to concentrate upon feeling them. It was stronger when her emotions themselves were stronger, which was obviously to be expected, but what he had not expected was for Kagome to be feeling so weak and helpless. Where was that spitfire of a miko who had captured his heart over three and a half years ago? Couldn’t Kagome see that she was not now, nor had she ever been weak? Even back when they hated each other, even back when the crow youkai had stolen the jewel from her, and they were relying on her archery skills, or lack there of, had she felt weak? No, she’d felt determined, and in her intelligence and quick actions, she had secured her arrow with that stupid bird’s own food, ensuring a strike. Of course…it had shattered the jewel, he snickered in his mind, still remembering her shocked expression of “Oops” that had been just too priceless for words. If he had had a camera, if he’d have known what one was back then, he would have wanted to capture that look of hers forever.

“I’m so proud of you.” he spoke softly, earning a raised face, followed by a raised eyebrow, as she gazed up at him quizzically, wincing as another wave of pain washed through her.

In her moment of pinching her eyes shut, Kagome failed to notice the way Inuyasha’s face also contorted briefly in pain. When she reopened her eyes, his look of pride was back in place, as he softly continued with

“I would be so scared, if it were me, but not you, you’re strong, and brave, and you’re baring my child. I love you.”

Seeing Kaede’s hut nearing in the distance, Kagome gazed back up at him once more, and whispered “Let’s do this thing.”

Once the reed mat was back in place, after the elder miko had eagerly greeted the couple into her home, a small neko-youkai resting a few huts down mentally smiled, as she snuggled once more against her mistress’ leg.

```````````````````

“It’s time.” Inuyasha said simply, assisting the wobbling Kagome back down to her feet, and through Kaede’s doorway.

“Inuyasha, ye could merely have summoned me, I would have gladly traveled.” she stated, followed by a silent nod from Shippo, who had carried Kaede in his horse form before.

“Well we’re already here now, old bat, so what, do you wanna follow us back to our hut?”

“Inuyasha….” Kagome chastised with a loving hand placed upon his shoulder, just as much for support as it was to shush his tirade, “Just help me sit down.”

“Shit.” he cursed under his breath, realizing he’d forgotten, if even for a second, the most pressing matter at hand, “Are you okay?” he asked her frantically, as he assisted her in sitting upon the layered futon Kaede had designated.

“I’m fine.” she smiled, just before another wave of pain hit her. After she was finished contorting her face in agony, her smile comically returned, as she then added “Couldn’t be better.”

Several hours later, the first rays of morning’s light were shining themselves through the eastern facing window of Kaede’s hut, revealing a scene quite identical to the one that had first appeared the night before. Kagome laid, comfortably for the most part, upon a softened cushion comprised of four futon mats, propped up in a semi-sitting position thanks to several of her modern pillows that Inuyasha had run back to fetch after delivering her into Kaede’s care. Her water hadn’t even broken yet, and Kaede had said something about “early pains” which Kagome knew to be “false labor” all the while praying that that wasn’t what she was suffering from. The last thing she wanted at that point was for the contractions to go away, leaving her feeling normal again, when all she wanted was to get that damn baby out of her!

Inuyasha, bless his heart, had been driving her insane, as well. Constantly asking her if she was hot, or cold, or thirsty, or hungry, or in pain (she shot him evil glares at that question) or if there was anything at all that he could do for her.

“Shut up!” she snapped finally, adding “You can do that for me. Just shut the hell up, for a while.” she softened her tone near the end, and smiling a sympathetic, understanding smile, he laid himself on the ground next to her, propping himself up against the wall, as he pulled her halfway into his embrace, while leaving her laying upon the futon, as he leaned himself over, resting his head sideways upon the top of hers.

That was the scene that Sango rushed in on not long after.

“Kagome!” she screamed upon entry, as though her friend had suffered a terrible injury during battle. “Are you all right?!”

“Never better.” she answered dryly, smiling when she felt Inuyasha’s gentle grip of her tighten, ever so slightly.

“Shippo said you were having the baby.” The ex-slayer explained, as she sat down upon her legs, a few feet from where the couple rested.

“Aye, her body prepares, but the baby is not yet on its way.” Kaede answered for them.

“I’m in the very early stages of labor, so this is gonna be a long day…” Kagome added, feigning a humorless chuckle.

Kaede had assured for her after feeling her belly that the baby had in fact turned, meaning that it was head down, which was a good thing. It meant that last night was not false labor after all, but just the beginning of a rather slow, drawn out labor, which was usually to be expected for one’s first child, Kagome realized with a grimace.

“Then…” Sango started hesitantly after a moment, seeing that Kagome was seemingly dressed in a yukata, her lower half covered in blankets as well, “Would it be all right with you…if Miroku were to come in for a moment?” she asked hesitantly.

Kagome shot her a confused expression, before answering with “Of course Miroku can come in, I’m surprised he even let you come in here by yourself as it is, since he’s seemed like a permanent fixture at your side whenever you walked anywhere these days.”

Blushing, Sango quietly admitted, “Well, he’s waiting right outside. We didn’t know how far along you might have…” She let her words trail off, and Kagome nodded understandingly. “It’s all right,” she answered with a smile, “He can come in.”

“Oi monk…” Inuyasha called suddenly, still never moving from his position beside his mate, “Get your ass in here, Kagome says its okay.” he called, the tone of his voice revealing that he also wasn’t bothered in the slightest by the monk’s presence. After all, he had his own mate, who would be going through the very same thing in only two more months.

Quietly, the mat was pushed aside, as a very humble looking Miroku silently joined them, sitting at the far end of the hut.

“Kagome?” he questioned apprehensively.

She mentally cringed at the gaze he was shooting her. That strength that she’d felt lacking in her the night before had come back, after several hours of her mate’s soothing words were given as reassurance. She was strong, and she was tough. If she could face off against a monster such as Daikomaru, then she could definitely handle a simple thing like childbirth.

“I’m not dying Miroku, I’m giving birth, there’s a difference.” Her voice was playful, not betraying the physical discomfort she felt.

“Yeah, with one, you wish you were alive, and with the other, you wish you were dead!”

“Shippo!” everyone scolded but Kagome, who embarrassingly laughed and said to the kit

“That was just a joke, Shippo, I didn’t mean that.”

“Feh”

“How are you feeling, seriously?” Miroku asked next, unsure of what else to say.

“As well as can be expected. I assure you, everything is proceeding normally, if not a little slower than I would like. But maybe hanyou pups take longer.” she finished, echoing her husband’s words from before.

Kaede nodded her thoughtfulness, honestly being unfamiliar with hanyou births. Sesshoumaru had had no information to share on the topic, either, when they had inquired in the past, as he stated that merely to his knowledge, Inuyasha’s mother had carried him to what human’s considered to term, revealing that pure inu-youkai usually carry their children for a marginally shorter period of time, roughly eight months, which was when he expected Kagura to be due. Apparently, youkai pups developed rather quickly for infants, then their aging slowed to that of what was seemingly normal for a child, then, as they reached maturity, it slowed to practical nonexistence.

As everyone around her reluctantly began to have breakfast, Kagome’s orders, she found herself wishing there was an ice-youkai among them. She could certainly use some ice chips at the moment, since she was finding herself incredibly thirsty, but knew it was unwise to drink large quantities of water. So instead, she took to suckling on a moistened rag that Kaede had provided for her upon request, so she could at least keep some moisture trickling down her throat. Everyone thought her futuristic preparations and customs bizarre, but nobody dared to question her, knowing that Kagome was from a time when humans had advanced greatly, and learned much. Mostly, they were amazed at the knowledge that she seemed to brush off as what she’d called “common.”

It was nearing lunch when Inuyasha was getting restless again. Her contractions were still few and far between, and without a watch, she had no way to properly time them. She had tried, but always got distracted from her silent counting, either by Inuyasha, or Shippo, or Sango, or anybody, asking her if she was all right, or asking her anything else at all. She knew they meant well, but they were starting to get on her nerves. Finally deciding she could sit still no longer, she managed to persuade Inuyasha to help her stand, with her assurance that she had no intentions of actually leaving the hut, as she merely walked about in slow circles. She had grown tired of watching him pace the room back and forth, and had finally decided that doing a little pacing of her own would probably do her some good.

Three youkai noses started twitching frantically after a moment, and Kirara mewed, before Shippo hesitantly whispered “Okaasan…” just as Kagome herself felt the vivid pooling of moisture between her legs, thoroughly soaking her panties. At that moment, Inuyasha’s face went through a comical array of changes of expression. First, instantly, he was relieved, because he realized that meant the birth was finally underway, then, just as suddenly, he was panicked, because he realized that meant the birth was finally underway.

“Here, sit down.” he rushed out, as he assisted her in resting upon the futon once more.

Kagome, for her part, was thankful to have been wearing panties, which prevented most of the mess from running down her legs, not that it was visible as she stood, hidden behind the near floor length folds of her yukata. But just as Inuyasha was about to assist in cleaning and preparing her, to no protest from Kagome whatsoever, he was stilled in his actions by Kaede.

“I’ll take it from here, Inuyasha.” she smiled reassuringly, gesturing toward Shippo and Miroku, as she commanded friendlily, “Now, out with you!” She emphasized it with a shooing motion of her hands.

Shippo whined, but complied reluctantly when Miroku offered to take him to go see Kohaku, who was holding down the fort at their own hut. Before exiting, he murmured quietly to Sango that she was to stay there, and not go wandering off, to which she assured him, without aggravation, that she would comply.

“You too.” Kaede waved towards Inuyasha after the monk and kitsune had left.

“Oh hell no, my mate needs me!” he demanded instantly.

“Inuyasha-”

“Actually, Kaede…” Kagome interrupted, “I know it’s not done here, but in my time, husbands are allowed in the birthing room. It’s really all right, that is…if it’s all right with you.”

Sighing, Kaede shook her head at her young apprentice’s backwards time, as she stated simply “If it is all right with thee, I have no objections.”

“Husbands are allowed in the birthing room?” Sango asked, settling herself down beside her friend.

“Yes, in fact, sometimes they even participate in the birthing.”

Inuyasha cocked an eyebrow at that, and proceeded to ask, in all sincerity, “How?”

Blushing, Kagome said “Well, they don’t actually delivery the baby, that’s left to the professionals…” He nodded in understanding and she continued, “But in my time, they’ve learned special breathing, or other physical techniques, that make the birthing easier for the mother, and the husband in those cases usually acts like a coach…um…a sensei, to tell the wife what to do.”

“Do you know what these techniques are?” he asked her then, his voice suddenly concerned, knowing she had obviously missed out on any modern “schooling” her time had for pregnancy.

“I know of them, though I obviously missed out on any classes,” she said, confirming his fear, “But Mama told me a few things…plus we have our books.”

He felt a little better at that, remembering the books they had, full of knowledge on how to handle any possible problems. Though he hoped there would be none. But he still felt bad that she had missed out on what she apparently had grown up to consider normal, and lowering his ears, he confessed

“I don’t know what to tell you to do, I don’t know how to help.”

“Just be here.” she said soothingly, reaching her hand up to grasp his. “Most of it is about distraction, anyway. You’d be here to take my mind off of the pain, and to stay focused on our goal.” Then whispering impossibly quiet, not wishing to embarrass him in front of Kaede, she added “It’s not fair, you know, you men get to do the fun part, while us wives have to do all the work.”

He could tell she was joking with him, so he decided it would be safe to get her back with a quiet “I do recall you thought it was pretty fun yourself.”

Kaede and Sango both wondered what had made Kagome’s face suddenly turn so red, unable to hear the words that were whispered impossibly quiet.

```````````````

“Ahhhh!” she screamed, not as another contraction washed through her, which had happened a few moments ago, but in frustration at the hanyou who wouldn’t stop pacing the hut like a caged animal.

“Knock it off already!”

“I can’t help it!” he snapped back, “What’s taking it so damn long?”

“How the hell should I know?!” she snapped back.

“Well you always seem to know everything else!”

“Guys…” Sango attempted to intervene, clutching her own belly in nervous apprehension of what was yet to come for herself. Her quiet plea for order was promptly ignored.

“Labor can take days!” Kagome shouted back, adding a little quieter “Why don’t you go for a walk or something?”

He spun around on his heels, his frustration momentarily forgotten, as he quietly whispered, hurt present in his voice “But you said you wanted me present.”

“For the birth…” she conceded, reaching up to gently cup his face, “That isn’t happening yet.” Opening herself, and running her aura along his own, she whispered at a level only he could clearly make out “You’re like a caged beast, you know that? I can feel your youkai raging within you, and it’s hurting me, to know you hurt. I know you can feel my contractions.”

His ears lowered at her words, having hoped she would have been so distracted with her own ordeal, that she would have momentarily forgotten about the link they shared.

“How much longer Baba?” he asked Kaede rudely, who had been sitting quietly, attempting to mind her own business until he’d pulled her into the conversation.

The elder miko offered a friendly smile in Sango’s direction as she got up, relieved to see the girl smile, even a hesitant smile, in return. Perhaps it wasn’t the best idea, to have Sango present for Kagome’s birth. It was surely only filling her with unnecessary worry and anxiety. Then again, she decided it was likely for the best that the ex-slayer be mentally prepared for what was to come.

Moving the blankets aside, and checking Kagome’s dilation, Kaede answered honestly “Her passage has not yet reached full size.”

Translation…Kagome groaned in her mind, We’re looking at a good twenty-four hours to go, at least. Attempting to gauge the time of day based upon the shadows she could see starting to fall, she guessed there was another three, maybe four hours of daylight remaining.

Turning, and looking Inuyasha lovingly in the eyes, Kagome said sincerely, “Why don’t you go for a run or something? Burn off some of that energy. You being so wound up is only making me wound up too, you know. I’m quite positive you won’t miss anything, this pup isn’t making its appearance any time soon.”

“I can’t just leave you.” he scolded, albeit quietly. “You need me to protect you.” he insisted.

He was surprised when he tried to back away slightly, only to discover that he couldn’t move. Turning his head, he managed to see a shimmer out of the corner of his eyes, revealing the fact that he was leaning quite firmly against a barrier, a non-purifying one at that, which took more energy to create than a purifying one, regardless of the fact that it seemed as though the other way around should be true.

Snapping his eyes back upon her in that instant, he quietly barked “What do you think you’re doing?” Reaching forward and cupping her face, he said “You shouldn’t waste your energy on such things.”

“Just showing you that I’m not helpless.” she answered, adding, “Besides, with your youki pouring into me, I’ve got extra energy to burn, as well.”

Gazing into her eyes in that moment, he saw the tiny flecks of red that were swimming within her velvet brown, and knew from the heat within his veins that his eyes most likely had a similar kaleidoscope effect at the moment. His raging youki really was affecting her, and he needed to calm down, he understood that now.

“What if something happens? What if you need me?”

“I’ll call…” she answered simply, lowering her barrier to permit him to move away, as she reached for her right arm, and scratched at her mark with her left hand, just as she’d done before. The sensation was uncomfortable, and also unmistakable.

“I’ll be back before dark.” he assured her gently, reaching forward to brush his lips delicately upon her own, before bolting out of the hut like a bat out of hell.

“Are you sure you’re okay with him running off right now?” Sango asked nervously, surprised by Kagome’s chuckling answer of

“I thought he’d never leave.”

Upon seeing Sango’s confused and worried expression, Kagome waved her hands about in an unconcerned manner, as she assured her friend “You know how fast he can run, he can go miles in a matter of minutes, burn off some of that energy, and be back to his more tender-self.”

Nodding slowly, understanding seeping into her gaze, Sango reminded herself that Inuyasha was, in fact, half-youkai, and did have a wild side, that he was obviously having difficulty controlling at the moment. He couldn’t just be there for her, like a human male would be, feeling sympathetic, unable to assist in any way outside of their presence. Inuyasha couldn’t stand that his mate was in pain, and a part of him was probably blaming himself, as silly as it was, since everyone knew that pain was simply a natural part of childbirth.

But his mate being in pain, nonetheless, was causing his youkai side to slowly rise to the surface, which was aggravating Kagome’s youkai side as well. Kaede had sensed the spike in Kagome’s youki, a signature in her aura that never did fade after the stunt she’d pulled two months prior, and while in a way it was probably a good thing, making her tougher to the pain she was feeling, she knew that the mental stress was not healthy, for either of them, or the unborn pup.

Inuyasha, for his part, hated leaving his mate like that, but at the same time, he knew he had to get himself under control, or he’d freakin’ transform or something, and there was no telling what would happen if that happened. Youkai women didn’t experience labor pains the way humans did, just like any other type of pain that existed in the world of mortals, and he just didn’t know how to deal with it. How could he just sit there, while his mate was in excruciating pain, and there wasn’t a damn thing that he could do about it?!?!?!

Unseeingly, he ran, as the trees blurred by him, easily reaching bursts of speed that would rival that of a cheetah, as he seemingly flew between his leaps. In merely five minutes he’d traveled roughly five miles, so he decided to slow his pace for a few minutes, knowing that should Kagome call for him, he could be back by her side just as quickly. He was surprised when he came upon the desolate remains of what had once seemed to be a large, thriving village, having forgotten that one resided in that direction. Curiosity getting the better of him, he ventured past the broken down gates. The place was eerily familiar, and he was sure he’d been there before.

Back in Kaede’s hut, Kagome was resting calmly, the continual vibration of her mate’s youkai finally ceasing in its pulsing within her veins. She could feel his transformation slowly taking over him, in his helplessness to cease her pain. He was trying with all his might to control himself, but that control was shaky at best, and making him frustrated, and his aggravation was also seeping itself within her aura. She did want Inuyasha with her for the birth of their pup, but wondered briefly if he’d be able to handle it. Attempting to take advantage of the moment of peace, Kagome announced that she wished to take a nap, and Sango took it upon herself to move herself to Kagome’s side, where Inuyasha had previously been before his blood had started boiling.

“My hand is right here,” she said softly, placing it upon her friend’s side, “Should you need to squeeze it.”

Nodding, Kagome answered with an exhausted “Thank yo-” that was cut short by another contraction washing through her, as she proceeded to take Sango up on her offer.

“Here, child.” Kaede said softly, gently resting Kagome’s bow across her stomach, which Inuyasha had fetched along with her pillows early last night. “Just in case” he had said, absolutely hating the notion of her ever being required to fight, but at the same time, not being stupid enough to leave her unarmed.

“Thank you…” she breathed again, unhindered that time as the wave had fully washed through her. She could feel the calming aura of her husband’s protective youki within the bow, and knew that her pup could probably feel it as well. It would also make Inuyasha pleased, when he returned after his run, to discover that he had still been protecting Kagome in his absence, after all.

“What of the jewel?” Kaede asked suddenly, and Kagome’s eyes widened in realization.

Inuyasha had the jewel, but Kaede knew that Inuyasha had the jewel, so what had she meant by the question? Did she guess there could be trouble? Shaking the unwarranted, or at least, unwanted fears free, Kagome answered after a moment of composure…

“It is warded, and I’m sure most lower youkai cannot detect its presence.” Taking a moment to channel her inner Sesshoumaru, deciding to blame her ability to do so on his youki which she could feel in the bow as well, she added stoicly “As for those who can, it would be wise of the more intelligent youkai to leave well alone the second son of the Great Inu no Taisho, and ruling partner of the Western Lands.”

Mentally, Kagome rewarded herself for sounding so confident, but the truth of the matter was that the jewel had simply slipped her mind at the time she’d told Inuyasha to venture off. But he was strong, and tough, and should he actually get into trouble, she knew she would sense it. Right?