InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ A Deeper Shade of Amber ( Chapter 66 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================






Chapter 66 - A Deeper Shade of Amber





“Congratulations, My Lord, you are a father.”

Inuyasha smiled as he accepted the bundle.

I’m a father

“Hear that, Inuyasha?” Miroku asked behind a grin that suggested that, had they existed at the time, he would have already been passing out the cigars. “You’re a father.”

I’m a father… he thought again, having heard both Kaede and Miroku, but temporarily being unable to offer them any visible response to acknowledge that he had in fact heard them at all. All he could do was stare in wonder down at the miniature version of himself that he was currently cradling in his arms, in complete and total awe over the little orange eyes that shown up at him in that moment.

His instincts demanded that he familiarize himself with his pup’s scent, and it was also crucial that his pup learn his scent as well, so in that moment he instantly triggered the natural rise of his youkai blood, until gone was his seemingly human form, and back in place was the hanyou everyone had come to trust and love over the years. Also in that moment, was he hit with a flood of sensations pouring into him from the human miko at his side. Kagome was exhausted, and in a reasonable amount of discomfort, but when she saw Inuyasha holding their baby, she could not help but to smile.

Inuyasha was lost in his bliss no more, however, when the reality of her presence washed over him, and he quickly locked his eyes with hers, asking “Are you okay?” to which he smiled upon seeing her tired, but happy nod in return, as she answered him back “Never better.”

It was at that time that Kaede quietly shooed everyone else out of the hut, leaving the two to their privacy. Shippo had wanted to stay, but said nothing, as even he could recognize that his adoptive parents were currently lost in themselves. They still love me… he reminded himself, as he wordlessly followed everyone else outside.

“Congratulations…dad…” Kagome teased playfully, half asleep, as she worked her hands into the folds of her yukata, knowing her baby would be hungry.

Turning to smile at her, Inuyasha grinned at her stupidly, and she could not help but to laugh softly, though he devoured her chuckles in a quick kiss when he leaned over her, whispering “You too, mom.”

Smiling up at him once he pulled away, Kagome asked in a tired murmur “It’s a boy, ne?”

He chuckled while nodding, and smiled deeper when she breathed out “I’m glad.”

Helping his exhausted mate, Inuyasha positioned their son in her arms, and aided in opening the front of her robes, a second chuckle escaping his lips at how eagerly the little guy latched onto the exposed breast.

“Hey save some for me.” he teased, earning a not-so-gentle elbow in the ribs, which only caused him to laugh harder.

“Like father like son…” she groaned dryly, in a tone that revealed she was truthfully not upset at all. “He looks just like you.” she added in wonderment, having honestly not known what to expect.

She supposed, since he was a true hanyou, that their son would, in fact, look just like his father. His full head of silver hair easily caught the morning rays that spilled through the eastern window, illuminating the downy softness she was already relishing in running her fingers through as he fed. Two little flaps of fuzzy skin near the top of each temple revealed where a set of canine ears would open in a day or two.

“Not completely.” Inuyasha responded lovingly after a moment, gently stroking the back of his son’s head as well, encouraging him to look up. “Check out his eyes.” he answered, and Kagome gasped, when she saw the tiny pools, full of alertness, gaze up at her inquisitively for the first time in their lives.

“Oh wow.”

They were a much richer, deeper amber than that of his father’s. Nearly red, like the orange glow of a sunset, was what shown in his depths as he stared curiously at his parents.

“Like raw, natural honey…” Kagome murmured, mesmerized by their color. “I’ve never seen anything like it.” Cupping the back of his head again, she cooed lovingly “…and what a healthy glow.”

And it was true that for as dark as they were, they had an unnatural glow about them, clearly signifying his youkai status, as even in shadow his eyes seemed to illuminate all that they touched. Inuyasha’s eyes had always had that effect, and it was something that she had always found wondrous, and mysterious, not eerie or creepy as she supposed she should have. She’d always found comfort in the fact that, even before their bond, even back when her human vision had been rather limited at night, she had always been able to find Inuyasha, even if by nothing else than the glow of his eyes. He’d called her nuts on more than one occasion too, back in the early days, when he’d pointed out the fact that most humans ran when they came face to face with the glow of a youkai’s eyes in the darkness of the forest. She’d always brushed the comment off, knowing he’d insulted her merely because he couldn’t fathom how she was not afraid of him. She’d never been afraid of him, not in the slightest. She’d vowed to stay by his side, and by his side she’d stayed, and now, nestled against her breast, suckling away to his little heart’s content, rested the culmination of her unwavering devotion. Their son.

``````````````

“Such a perfect child.” Kaede murmured happily, as she plucked a few weeds from her herb garden, Miroku and Sango sitting near by, as the pregnant taijiya stroked her protruding belly.

“I hope I can be as strong as Kagome…I don’t have youkai blood to help numb the pain.” she worried aloud, biting her bottom lip.

“Are you kidding?” Miroku asked lovingly. “You’re a youkai exterminator, you’re the toughest one I know.”

“Aye, child.” Kaede agreed sincerely, “Ye have nothing to fear. Bearing children is quite natural for women, unlike the harsh combat of battle ye have been trained for. If ye can handle slaying youkai, ye can handle anything.”

Sango nodded in appreciation at their reassuring words. So lost in thought were they that they failed to notice the two small youkai that accompanied the fifteen year old boy who quickly joined their position.

“Kagome-sama has had the baby?” Kohaku asked quietly, though no one could mistake the small air of joy he’d possessed in the question.

“Hai, just this morning.” Miroku answered his brother-in-law, smiling at the small grin he saw spread across the youth’s face.

Kohaku had been so quiet since rejoining them after the ‘Naraku’ ordeal. Though he had learned to accept the fact that his actions were not his own, he was still plagued by the memories of all that had occurred, just as it still secretly bothered Inuyasha that he’d slaughtered those bandits while transformed years back. It was the only innocent blood he’d ever spilt, and even the fact that they weren’t truly innocent, didn’t stave the fact that he’d murdered humans. The two had actually sat down and had a conversation about it once, Inuyasha and Kohaku, about how the boy would have to learn to deal with the memories, and not let them haunt him. It had taken time, and for a while Kohaku had put on a façade while secretly crying himself to sleep at night, sometimes wishing the Taiyoukai had never revived him. But those nights had come to a screeching halt the day his Ane-ue had discovered she was with child. He was going to be an uncle, and it was his responsibility to make sure the Taijiya traditions stayed in the family. Helping to take care of his niece or nephew would be good training for himself, as well, for the day he too became a father.

“Was it a girl or a boy?” the young Taijiya asked after a moment.

“A boy.” Miroku grinned. “Inuyasha’s first born is a boy.” he spoke with empathic pride, knowing how desperately Inuyasha had wished the child to be male.

“I’m so glad for him.” Sango added after a moment, “After everything he’s been through in his long life, he certainly deserves to have the son he always wanted.”

A hiss brought everyone’s attention to the two small youkai who sat not incredibly close by, but certainly within hearing range for demons. Glancing in that direction showed a small kitsune child of nearly eleven years trying to hush up a nekomata of who knew how many years, Shippo’s gestures and whispering indicating he hadn’t wished to draw attention to himself, while the glare Kirara gave the humans seemed to articulate the exasperated statement That was so rude!

“Oh Shippo!” Sango gasped while flushing, feeling that uncomfortable feeling of heat crawling up the sides of her face, clearing indicating her embarrassment and regret at her thoughtless statement.

Shippo though, turned to greet them with his standard innocent/happy expression set firmly in place, as he answered her with a wave of his clawed hand “That’s okay Sango, I’d have had lots of younger siblings back in the den, it’s ‘bout time I got me a baby brother.”

Sango, Miroku, and Kohaku smiled at his statement, while Miroku suggested “Why don’t you go back inside? I’m sure they’re eager for you two to meet.”

That statement seemed to bring to life a genuine shine behind the green eyes that had, before then, seemed somehow not quite as bright, or at least, that’s what Kaede had thought she’d noticed, even if no one else had seemed to.

Inside the hut, two inu-hanyou and one miko were slowly drifting on the verge of comfortable sleep, when the reed mat was suddenly flung to the side, the light of morning invading the darkness of the small hut’s main room, as a young voice could be heard enthusiastically asking “Can I see him yet?”

Thrusting back into states of wakefulness, though the only indicator of that fact were the eyelids of both adults popping open, as their bodies remained motionless, a soft chuckle could suddenly be heard after a few moments, as a male voice answered

“Of course, runt. We’d wondered where you’d run off to.”

Shippo, smiling, walked across the room carefully, not wishing to disturb the infant that was still asleep, undisturbed by his rather abrupt appearance.

“He’s so small.” the kitsune commented quietly, crawling himself up into Kagome’s lap to get a better look.

“He’ll get bigger.” Inuyasha assured, adding “Better enjoy it while it lasts.” teasing his older, adopted son on his stature, as kitsune were simply smaller youkai than inu.

Shippo grimaced, envisioning being bullied by his little brother. But at least he had the benefit of his kitsune powers… He could always use them to make himself a little bigger…or a lot bigger.

“And no kitsune tricks…” Inuyasha quickly instructed, recognizing, and not liking, the twisted grin that had slowly found itself spreading across Shippo’s lips. “Not until he’s old enough to understand, and defend himself.”

“Yeah yeah…” Shippo waved off at first, a glint of playfulness still present in his gaze.

“Shippo.” That time, the scolding tone came from Kagome, who’d spoken up for the first time since his entrance.

She chuckled in amusement at the way his entire posture slouched, the defeated child, and she was quite certain that had Shippo possessed hanyou ears, rather than the elfin lobes of a pure youkai, that they would have lowered quite unceremoniously upon his head.

“Hai, Kagome, I’ll be good.” he mumbled after a moment, lifting his chin so that his eyes could meet her own, a bashful smile in his eyes and on his lips, indicating that he’d truthfully always had the best of intentions. Sure he wanted to play, but he knew the pup was much too young for such things. He’d just have to get them to take him to see Rin more often…

Kagome chuckled again at the new, far-off gaze that suddenly found itself in Shippo’s stare, as he seemingly ignored the wall in front of him, seeing whatever it was that passed on the inside of his eyes at the moment, instead.

Inuyasha smiled when he heard his wife’s laughter, and then he smiled more when he gazed down at the little tike who was all tuckered out, and fast asleep, lips still held securely around his mother’s right nipple, though her yukata had been placed in such a way that hid it from view of the doorway, should someone else seek entry. Inuyasha seemed to be the only one who’d noticed Shippo calling Kagome by her name, Shippo included, who was obviously in some far off place at the moment. The hanyou nodded in approval when Shippo seemed to come back to himself long enough to snuggle up in Kagome’s lap, careful not to touch the infant for simply not wishing to disturb the baby from its rest. When he heard Shippo speak up once more, he answered his whispered question with merely a whisper of his own.

“What’s his name?” Shippo had asked.

“Right now…” Inuyasha started, staring lovingly at his mate once more, before redirecting his eyes downward to the fox in her lap, “…his name is ‘Pup’.” he answered matter-of-factly. “We’ll think of a good name for him, but that can wait a day or two, until your Okaasan’s got her strength back, and we can go home.”

He smiled at the way Shippo’s smile seemed to turn more genuine at his words, before the fox cub permitted his own eyes to drift shut in peaceful slumber.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The afternoon sun was a warm one, despite the slight nip in the air, as a small girl continued to hum to herself, while picking various winter flowers.

“Come inside Rin.” ordered a small kappa-youkai, the tiniest slip of genuine concern making it past the mask of indifference he had attempted to master over the years when concerning the small, yet growing ward.

“Hai, Jaken, Rin will come inside in a few minutes. Rin wants to collect more flowers for Kagura.”

“Well hurry it up!” he snapped, adding quietly “It’s getting cold out.” The human girl had heard him, though, and smiling at the concern she knew he had for her health, she decided to obey without further hesitation.

“Hai Master Jaken, Rin will come inside now, so that Rin doesn’t get sick.” she answered, standing up and brushing some dried leaves from the front of her yukata.

Jaken, meanwhile, smiled inwardly at his old title. The truth was, she was in no way required to call him ‘Master’ Jaken any longer. Not since Sesshoumaru had officially elevated her status from ward, to daughter. He still had the authority to tell her what to do, in the same manner as any baby-sitter could tell the child under their care what do to, but she was his superior, and if you really wanted to get technical, he should be calling her ‘Lady’ Rin.

Rin would never stand for that, however, and Jaken knew it. She was a well-behaved child, seemingly unaffected by the new status of her current title. She knew she was considered Lord Sesshoumaru’s daughter (though not ruling heir) and yet she retained the purity of heart she’d possessed back when she was nothing more than his charge.

He was pulled from his thoughts upon hearing said charge suddenly call out “Jaken, look!”

Following the direction in which her flower clutched fist had pointed, the kappa glanced up into the skies, and quickly saw what her human eyes had already picked up, a flying spot of flame. But upon closer examination, he could see what she could not, yet, and that was that said flying spot of flame was in fact a youkai, and a familiar one at that.

“Run inside and tell Lord Sesshoumaru that Inuyasha sends word!” he called, and smiling brightly at the understanding behind Jaken’s words, Rin ran inside with the giddy steps of the human child she was, ignoring the more “proper” way things were done, even if only for a moment.

Cries of “Sesshoumaru! Kagura!” could quickly be heard by the two adult youkai in question, who were currently over viewing scrolls in the study.

Kagura rubbed her six-month belly and smiled, wishing that Rin would call her ‘Mother’, but understanding why such a thing may take time for the child, if it ever happened at all. After all, even Kagura herself wasn’t sure exactly how Sesshoumaru would take to having his human ward calling him ‘Father’, and calling her ‘Mother’ while still calling Sesshoumaru by his name might seem a bit too unusual. But, she supposed, once the pup was born, it’d be a lot easier for Rin to get away with using parental titles without complaint, from either of them. At least, in the mean time, she had successfully gotten the child used to calling them by their familiar names, without adding any formal suffixes, which even Sesshoumaru himself had said was okay.

Speaking of Sesshoumaru, said Taiyoukai chuckled mildly to himself as he approached the shoji screen and slid it upon, awaiting Rin’s frantic, yet thankfully announced, bombardment.

Running into the room so quickly that had Sesshoumaru not already slid the paper screen aside, she would have surely crashed through it like a football player, Rin hunched her twelve year old body forward, resting her hands upon her knees, as she attempted to catch her breath.

Sesshoumaru and Kagura could both tell from Rin’s scent that she was not distressed in a fearful manner, and that her news, whatever it may be, must be happy.

“Inu…yasha…” Rin managed to pant out, and suddenly, she felt a rustling brush past her, as Sesshoumaru himself nearly ran, or so it would seem, from the hastened approach of his steps. In reality, he was merely walking rather quickly, but that in itself was unusual for him.

Kagura offered Rin a smile, and extended her arms down towards the girl, which she recognized and responded to, by raising her arms up, and Kagura, not weakened by her pregnancy as a human woman would be, easily swept Rin up into her arms, balancing the child around her budging stomach, as she quickly followed after her mate.

Gathering outside, in the castle’s main front garden, Kagura came to a stop beside Sesshoumaru, whom she noted seemed to be speaking with Kirara, except she had not been aware that her mate could communicate with the neko. As it would turn out, he was acknowledging Kirara with the human tongue out of respect, knowing the ancient youkai could understand him perfectly, but the news he had received from the neko in return had arrived in the form of a note that she’d possessed.

Gesturing towards the scroll in his hand, Sesshoumaru glanced in the direction of his mate and adopted daughter, before refocusing his attention on the nekomata as he said “It is official. On this morning at sunrise, Inuyasha’s mate produced him a son.”

“Can we go see the baby?” Rin asked happily, jumping up and down, before she remembered herself and instantly attempted to atone by standing perfectly still, eyes slightly lowered.

“Hn.” Sesshoumaru tried desperately not to chuckle at Rin’s antics. She has certainly proven useful for a “trial run” as his own mate would be producing his heir in only two more months.

Noticing the way Rin’s body jiggled, ever so slightly, with how she’d been jumping up and down, he mentally grimaced. They just grew up too fast, didn’t they? Not that he had any desire for her to remain a little girl forever, knowing fully well that she would one day soon be an adult. But perhaps their pup will be female. Yes, another little girl running around the castle, someone whom Rin could help teach in the ways of being a daughter of the West. He could only imagine the hooligan Inuyasha’s son was bound to become. That thought caused him to mentally grimace once more. The miko named Kagome would certainly have her hands full.

“Jaken.” he spoke finally, and Rin’s smile instantly doubled, already recognizing the tone of her Lord/Father’s voice.

“Yes my Lord?” Jaken responded, the kappa also already being aware of what was about to be asked of him.

“Prepare Ah-Un.”

“Yes my Lord.”