InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Shining One ( Chapter 67 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================






Chapter 67 - Shining One




Nestled around the fire pit in Kaede’s hut, Inuyasha held Kagome securely, his arms wrapped around her in love and protection, as she was once again breast feeding their son. She wore Inuyasha’s suikan as a blanket draped across her front to preserve modesty, as they were not currently alone, although you would never know it, if you were to guess based upon Inuyasha’s behavior at the moment. He was planting continual pecks of love upon her neck and shoulders, focusing primarily on her mating mark, though he did venture lower on a few occasions, causing tickling shivers to run down her spine, as she attempted to whisper “Stop that” in a sincere tone, when she in truth did not, necessarily, wish him to stop.

Inuyasha did cease his attentions of her, however, at the amused sound of Miroku clearing his throat, as the ex-monk chuckled at his friend’s embarrassment over realizing he’d been observed, before going back to dotting upon his own loving wife. Sango was resting quite peacefully, as she absently stroked her protruding belly, Miroku’s foot rubs doing wonders for her sore ankles. Shippo, who was laying close by sprawled out on his belly, was busily at work with his crayons.

It had surprised, and delighted Kagome, when she saw the kitsune child bust out his most prized possessions. She had stocked him up on the colorful sticks of wax, but even so, it was a sure thing that he would run out looonnnnggggggg before the things were reinvented, not that she supposed he would likely care much to play with crayons once he was grown. So she had done her best to make sure that Shippo at least had enough to last him throughout the remainder of his childhood, but the kitsune, showing a surprising amount of maturity and intelligence, had specifically stated that he did not wish to frivolously waste the things on unimportant drawings, as he was fully aware that there were no more where they came from, once they were eventually all gone. So it was with genuine mirth that Kagome smiled lovingly down at Shippo, who was drawing away to his heart’s content, images of his family, including the new little pup that was currently suckling his fill of dinner.

“Those are really good drawings.” Sango complemented, smiling to herself at the colorful works, especially the ones that also included herself and Miroku, and a little human bundle that was undoubtedly their baby to come.

“Yes, you have always had quite a knack for portraits.” Miroku added, complementing the youth. “Perhaps when you are older, you should consider it your profession.” he suggested with more than a little seriousness, as he glanced down, impressed at the images scattering the floor.

Shippo’s drawings had in fact come a long way from the silly illustrations he’d once made of a feline Kagome, along side Inuyasha and Kouga. Kagome had eventually gotten over her embarrassment, and had encouraged Shippo to continue to draw them (only, not in reenactments of their arguments!) because she knew that practice made perfect, and now, his talent at grasping likeness was actually rather good. The miko supposed it made sense that a kitsune should be good at drawing others, if they could duplicate another’s likeness with their own bodies.

“Look at this one Okaasan!” Shippo boasted with glee, as he leapt up, his finished work gripped firmly in his clawed hands, as he ran up to Kagome, practically shoving the drawing in her face.

“Oh my…” she commented, and even Inuyasha gave the colorful peace of paper his undivided attention.

In the foreground was the tranquil landscape of Kaede’s village, with Sesshoumaru’s castle resting noticeably upon the hilltops in the distance. Playing in a field of flowers were three small children, two with silver hair, and one with black, while two much older children, one with black hair, and one with red, sat quietly together underneath a tree, as they kept their eyes on the younger three. Picking herbs were two mikos, one elderly, and obviously engrossed in her work, while the younger miko appeared to be gazing across the field at a silver-haired figure clad in red, who was busily chopping up firewood. A pair of adults each with black hair could be seen sitting together underneath a different tree, while another, younger raven-haired adult, who sat close by, tended what appeared to be a two-tailed cat, while yet another pair of adults, this time one with black hair and one with silver, stood more in the background, keeping close eyes on all those present, their presence seemingly stating that should danger befall any of them, they would instantly offer their protection.

“I knew I bought those packs of adhesive laminate for a reason.” Kagome mumbled, earning a “Keh?” from her husband, before she explained “I’m not letting that drawing biodegrade.”

Shippo understood what she was talking about and his little chest puffed with pride at the realization that she wanted to keep his drawing with her for centuries to come. Carefully placing it aside to be sure nothing befell it before it could become encased in plastic, he once against took up position on the floor, crayons at the ready…

An infant’s cry broke the tranquil silence, as everyone glanced over at Kagome, who was attempting to burp her baby.

“Sorry…” she apologized sheepishly, as the pup continued to wail.

“No need to apologize my child.” Kaede assured her, smiling warmly.

“We’d better get used to that.” Sango commented toward Miroku in an attempt at humor, to which he merely chuckled and leaned in for a kiss.

“Hush up pup, it’s okay.” Inuyasha tried to soothe, and when that didn’t work, he yipped softly in inu.

The pup did eventually settle down after what was in truth only around two or three minutes.

“He’s probably upset ‘cause you ain’t named him yet.” Shippo blurted.

“Well, that’s remedied easily enough.” Kagome pointed out, glancing her eyes in her mate’s direction.

“Keh. Just figured there weren’t no hurry. Not like a day or two would’ve hurt none, while you rested up.”

“I know you said you wanted to be back in our own hut, but think of it this way…” Kagome pointed out, “All of us together again in this room, around that fire pit…” she gestured, “What better setting to name our child? Amongst our family?”

He smiled nodding his agreement to her statement, but then shook his head, quietly pointing out “All our family ain’t here yet.”

She nodded her own understanding.

“Ye are awaiting thy brother then?” Kaede wished to clarify from his statement.

“Keh.”

“I know we sent Kirara with word regarding the birth,” Miroku started, asking “But are you certain that he would travel here, on such short notice?”

“I wasn’t certain.” the hanyou conceded, adding, “Thought maybe he would have just logged the birth, waiting ‘till me and Kagome went out there next to get his name and see him and stuff…” he trailed off, a silly smile spreading across his lips as he stared down at his son, whom he’d glanced at merely while indicating his presence while speaking with regard to his brother. In short…he looked down at his son, and got mushy-eyed.

Who’s a perfect inu-hanyou? he fortunately merely thought to himself, for Inuyasha doing ‘baby talk’ could prove rather disturbing. That’s right, you are…

Kagome, sensing her mate’s sudden distraction, quickly picked up where he’d left off, making it appear as though Inuyasha had intended for her to finish his explanation all along.

“But as it would turn out,” she added, knowing what her mate had been attempting to state prior to losing himself in their son, “We can already feel the approach of his youki, thanks to the infusion of his hairs into our weapons, and we know that he’s on the way.”

It wasn’t long after those words had left our miko’s lips that Kaede, Miroku, and even Sango, said that they could all sense a powerful demonic aura on the approach, but thankfully, because of the head’s up, nobody rushed out of the hut with weapons drawn. That would not have been a very wise thing to do. Everyone was surprised at first to see Kagura, especially considering she was nearly as pregnant as Sango, but after a playful reminder that a pure youkai would of course be stronger than a ‘weak human’, everyone hugged their hellos - minus Sesshoumaru, of course. Sesshoumaru does not hug.

“You have crests.” said Taiyoukai stated matter-of-factly, his tone not necessarily that of a question, more a statement, but the hardness behind his voice clearly indicating he meant for it to have the undertone of “You will explain, now.”

“It’s a long story.” Kagome spoke up on her mate’s behalf, gesturing that they should all head inside.

Sesshoumaru nodded his understanding and agreement that discussion of such things could wait until they were no longer outside within view of the entire village, and slowly, he joined behind everyone else as they headed towards the elder miko’s dwelling.

“It would seem we have much to discuss.” he stated after all had entered the building, the tone of his voice successfully concealing his surprise.

“It got crowded.” Shippo pointed out in the bluntness that could only come from a child, as he leapt up upon Inuyasha’s shoulder to avoid getting stepped on.

“Keh, all the more reason to move this to our hut.” Inuyasha insisted, taking into consideration the size of Kaede’s living area verses that of their own.

Inuyasha had deliberately built their hut on the large size, nearly too big for what was considered a humble dwelling in that time period, because he’d wanted Kagome to be comfortable. She came from a large ‘modern’ home, and aside from the fact that theirs was single-story, it was nearly as large as what she was used to. Of course, Kagome would have happily accepted a smaller hut, and he knew that, but in his eyes, she deserved the best.

“Ye all go ahead,” Kaede insisted, stoking her fire, “I’m afraid this old woman has had enough excitement for one day, plus it is time that I tended my evening rounds within the village.”

Everyone nodded their understanding, and after offering their goodnights to the miko, the large group all ventured towards the Goshinboku. Kagome was perfectly capable of walking on her own, thanks to her youkai blood, but Inuyasha still insisted upon carrying her. He swooped her up bridal style, while their pup rested cradled against her chest, wrapped securely in her arms while his father’s arms wrapped securely around them both.

Once home, everyone gathered around the fire pit, which Shippo got blazing with the use of his fox-fire. The Pow Wow was quite something to behold, as the large group sat in a wide circle upon the many soft cushions Kagome had provided from her world. The pillows obviously wouldn’t last forever, but they were nice for the time being, at least. The order around the fire pit was as follows. Inuyasha sat with Kagome at his left, their pup cradled in her arms, with Shippo sitting at his right. On Kagome’s left sat Miroku, who was fully concentrating on Sango, who was sitting to his left, Kirara, in her kitten form, snuggled up in what remained of her lap. Left of Sango sat Kohaku, and left of Kohaku sat Kagura. The two were currently catching up on all that had occurred since the last they’d seen each other, each relieved that the other had also been granted a second chance at life after their demise at Naraku’s hands. The sole thanks for their revival sat at Kagura’s left, as even Sesshoumaru himself agreed to accept their invitation to join them around the fire, rather than remain standing. In truth, he felt honored to have been included at all. He’d had his brother within the walls of his home, but that was their legacy. The castle was now, and always would be, home to Inuyasha, should he choose it. But for Sesshoumaru to be here, within the walls of the hanyou’s personal dwelling, that he had built for himself and his mate with the help of their friends, that truly meant a lot to Sesshoumaru. Though, of course, his thoughts would forever remain silent on the subject, but he suspected Inuyasha already knew, regardless. Left of Sesshoumaru sat Jaken. Loyal till the end, the imp had proven himself a trust worthy servant, and…the Taiyoukai conceded silently, a good friend. Completing the circle was Rin, who sat between Jaken and Shippo, the two children also lost in their own conversation at the moment. Ah-Un had also ventured with them towards Goshinboku, and though the two-headed dragon was obviously much too large to enter the hut, he/they stood close by outside, grazing peacefully.

“I suppose I should explain these.” Inuyasha spoke up, breaking the silence, as he pointed at the stripes on his face.

“Indeed.”

Twenty minutes, a thorough recap, and a couple of demonstrations later, Sesshoumaru was as close to ‘stunned’ as Inuyasha could ever recall having seen him. Not even his surprise at the first discovery of his more classic transformation came close to matching the expression currently resting upon the usually stoic Taiyoukai’s face.

“And the ancient priestess claimed that you would have, one day, acquired this ability on your own?”

“Yeah…” the hanyou admitted, embarrassed at being the focus of attention for so long, “But I guess not for another century or two, or whatever, and she figured I’d earned a little help, I guess…” he answered bashfully.

“Never before has this Sesshoumaru heard of a hanyou achieving such things under their own power.” he stated calmly, the steadiness of his voice successfully concealing his continued disbelief. “However, I can detect no trace of the Shikon no Tama within your aura. Your power is truly your own.” he elaborated, stating something that Inuyasha had, secretly, been wondering himself.

It was at that moment that their pup started fussing, and Inuyasha, realizing he was currently in his human form, quickly shifted back, so that his pup could once again detect his father’s scent.

“It’s all right pup.” he cooed at the youth, leaning over so that their eyes met, “Dad’s right here.” he whispered, wiggling his ears, which instantly caught the infant’s attention, earning a tiny giggle.

Sesshoumaru, smiling inwardly - though it did not reach his lips - then unrolled a small piece of parchment which he had brought with him to take notes, but upon preparing to reach for the brush and ink within his parcel, he blinked in surprise at finding a small black stick that smelled strongly of wax being held up for his inspection.

“What is this?” he asked, and Shippo blushed before stating…“It’s called a crayon, Kagome got them from her time.” adding, “It’ll be easier to write with than an ink brush, less messy.”

Sesshoumaru admitted to himself that attempting to write with his ink and brush would likely prove trying, while sitting cross legged upon a cushion, no desk or table at his disposal, not to mention the fact that he had only one arm. So with only minor inspection of the instrument, and upon registering Rin’s eager nodding in her own approval of the strange object, he bowed his head ever so slightly in silent thanks, accepting the kitsune’s offer.

Jotting down the date of birth on the blank sheet, to be transferred to the Inu no Taisho family scroll upon his return to the West, Sesshoumaru cataloged the gender of the pup, and then asked the all too expected question of “What is the boy’s name?”

“Here’s the thing…” Inuyasha started, blushing again, but a chuckling Kagome interrupted him.

“We haven’t chosen a name yet.” she confessed.

Nodding, Kagura spoke understandingly, “It is a big decision.” while rubbing her own belly.

“Well,” Miroku started, “What about Taro?”

Inuyasha shook his head, “Too common.”

“InuTaro?” Sango questioned.

Inuyasha paused, as if giving the matter some thought, before dismissing the idea.

“Too cliché.”

“How about Ichiro?” Kohaku suggested next.

“Same difference.” Inuyasha shrugged

“Kenichi?” Rin offered shyly, wanting in on the conversation.

Inuyasha glanced her way and smiled, but shaking his head answered…

“That’s a good name, but any names like that ain’t fair to Shippo.” he explained, smiling at the look of concern Rin flashed towards the kitsune at his words.

Shippo brushed it off though, not wishing to upset the girl, as he spoke up…

“That’s okay, Inuyasha…” adding hesitantly, “I know I’m not really your son.”

That statement promptly earned a harsh “Feh!” and a hard bop on the head. Tears welled in Shippo’s eyes, but they were tears of joy.

Kagome shook her head dismissively, glancing down at the little bundle she held in her arms. The pup was calm for the time being, but he was also wide-awake, and aware of all that was going on, his fiery eyes taking in his surroundings. Even Sesshoumaru was amazed by their color, never before having seen that particular shade, as he stated their family line had so far always possessed lighter, golden eyes. The way they shone was unbelievable, truly like gazing into the depths of a roaring fire, or a tranquil sunset. It was obviously the influence of the miko, as if one gazed exceptionally close, you could make out that his irises did in fact have flakes of lighter gold, accompanied by flakes of honey brown. The results were cause for conversation.

“I’ve never seen anything like it.” Kagura commented, wondering in that moment what color eyes her own child would possess.

“He has a strong demonic glow about him, clearly stating the strength of his father’s blood. Most newly whelped hanyou offspring to human mothers have weak youkai signatures, but he does not.”

For Sesshoumaru, that was an unbelievable complement.

“I agree.” Miroku commented, speaking from a monk’s point of view. “I can clearly sense his demonic aura, it shines like a light in the dark.”

“Well…” Kagome mumbled after a moment, “If not Kenichi, then how about Kenji?”

“No mama…” Shippo spoke up softly, “He is your first born.” he stated matter-of-factly.

“All right…” she conceded, smiling towards Shippo. “Let’s go a different route, then.”

“How about Kazuko?” Sango offered.

“Pleasant child?” Kagome asked, stifling a chuckle, “That’ll be true until his terrible-two’s, then it’d seem a little weird, yelling that at the top of my lungs.”

Everyone chuckled. Well, almost everyone. Sesshoumaru does not chuckle. (At least, not amongst present company. He did have an image to uphold, after all.)

“I’ve got it.” Inuyasha blurted suddenly, and he blushed as all eyes were on him once again.

“Well?” Sesshoumaru spoke after a moment, eyebrow raised.

Shaking off his nervousness, he gazed down at his infant son, and lovingly asked his mate “Instead of Kazuko, how about Kazuki?” His eyes met Kagome’s, and he saw in that instant that she understood where he was going with the suggestion. “It means pleasant peace, but it also means-”

“Shining one.” Kagome muttered, interrupting him. Nodding happily, she said “It’s perfect.”

“Agreed.” Sesshoumaru stated, jotting down the child’s name.

“Inuyasha…”

“Yes, Miroku?”

“Nothing, just…” he started, grinning, so nobody was nervous over whatever it was he had to say, “That name has a third meaning. It also means ‘First of a new generation.’”

“Really now?” he asked, eyebrow raised. Miroku nodded in confirmation.

Glancing around the room, spying the pregnant bellies of both Sango and Kagura, Inuyasha chuckled, and said “Well, that works too.”

“That all right with you, Shippo?” Kagome asked, figuring such a specific meaning didn’t necessarily dishonor her relationship with the kit, but wanting his input on the matter nonetheless.

“I think it’s perfect, too, Okaasan.” was his answer, as he smiled a genuine, toothy smile, showing off his razor sharp fangs. The human girl at his right didn’t even flinch in the slightest at the sight of them.

“So it is written.” Sesshoumaru stated next, clearly indicating the debate was concluded, as he nodded toward his half-brother.

Inuyasha saw the gesture, and nodding back, carefully lifted his pup from Kagome’s arms, and holding him up and away from his body, in official presentation, he announced “This child’s name is Kazuki.”

`````````````````````````````````````

Sess houmaru and party were invited to remain for the night before heading back, and surprisingly, or maybe not, they agreed. Shippo happily offered his room to Kagura and Sesshoumaru, who appreciated the semblance of privacy, while Shippo himself camped out in the living area with Rin and Jaken. Outside, Ah-Un was standing guard only a few feet away, both heads awake and alert while the ruling family slumbered.

The following morning offered a genuine surprise for Inuyasha, as his brother presented him with a gift, or more so, rather, a gift for their son.

“What…is…this…?” he asked, shell-shocked, as he gazed at the tiny garment.

“This is a kimono.” Sesshoumaru stated, finding amusement in his half brother’s wide-eyed expression.

Inuyasha continued to gaze disbelievingly at the tiny hakama and suikan presented before him. His nose was twitching so fast, one could have easily mistaken him for a rabbit hanyou.

“It smells like my old kimono.” he finally managed to get out after a moment.

“Well I would most certainly hope so.” Kagura spoke up happily, grinning widely, “Considering these pieces were commissioned from its remains.”

“I thought my old fire-rat was completely destroyed.” he mumbled, still in shock.

“For the most part.” Sesshoumaru agreed, dropping the miniature clothing into his brother’s hands, “There was not enough remaining for the larger ensemble to mend itself, its youki too weak, however…” He permitted his words to trail off, gesturing towards the tiny outfit Inuyasha now held.

“This was Kagome’s idea.” Kagura confessed, as she gazed down lovingly at the tiny bundle currently resting in his aunt’s arms.

Inuyasha glanced at his mate stupidly, and blushing, she nodded confirmation behind a wide grin.

“By reconstructing the remaining fibers into a new suikan and hakama, they can now merge with your son’s youki signature, and in time, as he grows, the clothing will grow with him, just as it did for you. One day, father’s fire-rat robe, with the help of your son, will once again be restored to its full glory.”

Inuyasha had never in a million years thought that he would ever feel the impulsive desire to hug his brother, but knowing that that was out of the question, and also fully understanding what they had said regarding it actually having been Kagome who’d come up with the idea in the first place, he did the next best thing, by pulling Kagome into a fierce hug herself, right then and there. It was fortunate that Kagura had been holding Kazuki at the moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taro: “first born son”

Ichiro: “first son”

Kenichi: “strong first son”

Kenji: “strong second son”