InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Fathers be good to your daughters ( Chapter 71 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================






Chapter 71 - Fathers be good to your daughters




Piercing cries broke through the tranquil blanket of night, as everyone in the hut was instantly awake. Kohaku mumbled something incoherent, and pinned his pillow over his head. Groggily, Sango turned to get up from the futon, but Miroku’s gentle touch easing her back down stilled her movements.

“It’s my turn.” he whispered simply, before he proceeded to get up himself, and change Emi’s diaper.

``````````````

Early spring still offered a bit of a nip in the air during the first few hours of morning, but that didn’t stop Kagome from tending her newly budding garden. Kazuki, wrapped securely within a carrying pouch strapped across her chest, was busily taking in all the scents and sounds around him. Her mate was somewhere within the village, she knew, as she could sense his aura. But still, as always, she had the precaution of dressing in her protective miko ensemble, as well as carrying Junsuishi, just in case. To a stranger, it may look a bit odd, a miko coddling a hanyou whelp whilst going about her duties, but to the few villagers that passed by during her work, nothing appeared more natural.

Kagome was highly respected, as Lady of the village, the villagers showing more respect to the pair than Inuyasha and his mother had ever been granted in his old village. They knew that, thanks to Inuyasha’s presence, their village was now under the protection of Sesshoumaru, Taiyoukai of the West. They also knew that with Inuyasha and Kagome living amongst them, they had the safest, most peaceful village, in all of feudal Japan. When Kaede’s time finally reached her, everyone knew that Kagome would be taking over her duties as the village miko, including healer and midwife, and nobody had any complaints regarding their current miko’s choice in successors.

While it was true that some of the villagers did not, at first, feel comfortable with the notion of Inuyasha living amongst them, he had successfully earned their respect with his show of responsibility regarding his own village duties. He provided all of the firewood, most of the meat, and also did most of the heavier lifting and/or repair work that was required on huts or carts. It didn’t tire him. In fact, it gave him something to do, and he didn’t mind in the least. Sitting around doing nothing could make a hanyou rather restless, so he needed to be able to use his bottled up energy in some way. He couldn’t mate with Kagome all of the time…

Taking over some of the major ‘male’ duties for the entire village, such as chopping wood and hunting, also left the other village men with more spare time to spend with their wives, and as a result, he had about the happiest damn village in all of the sengoku jidai.

Sensing a tiny demonic signature slowly encroach upon his mate’s position, Inuyasha made his way back towards their hut, smiling at the sight that greeted him. Kazuki, from within the confines of his sling, was happily grabbing at whatever weeds were within his reach, while Kagome more successfully tended the same duty, getting the nasty things away from her herbs. He hadn’t made a sound, not one leaf or twig crunching beneath his feet as he approached, and from how Kagome’s heavenly scent flowed to him on the breeze, he knew damn well there’d be no way she could smell him. Yet, when he was not five feet away, he smiled as her whispered words drifted to him on that same breeze.

“Daddy thinks he can sneak up on us, doesn’t he ‘Zuki?” she cooed teasingly, to which her infant responded by gurgling happily.

“I’d never be foolish enough to think any such thing.” he admonished, closing the gab between them.

“At least not after your last four failed attempts.”

“Shut up.” he chuckled, to which Kagome happily joined him.

“I thought you would be busy in the village for another few hours.” she stated questioningly after a moment.

“We have company.” he answered simply, prompting his mate to glance around curiously at their surroundings.

“We do?” she asked, not disbelievingly, but confused nonetheless.

“I’m not surprised you didn’t sense him,” the hanyou explained understandingly, “I’m much more used to his youki signature than you are, and it’s so small that sometimes even I have trouble sensing him.”

“Myouga?” Kagome questioned next, her suspicions soon proven correct.

“My youki signature is not small!” a surprisingly normal voice sounded, considering the size of the being said voice belonged to.

Kagome always had mused as to how Myouga didn’t have a tiny, squeaky voice.

“I suppose you’re right…” Inuyasha shrugged dismissively, “It’s absolutely perfect for a youkai your size.” he amended, which instantly appeased the flea’s wounded pride.

“This little guy’s youki signature is huge.” Myouga stated next, leaping up from where he’d been to sit himself upon Kazuki’s shoulder.”

The hanyou infant sniffed at him, and giggled.

“Such a happy child…” Myouga commented, his demeanor that of a proud grandfather, “And I imagine his blood is quite-”

“Don’t even think about it.” Kagome cut in, squishing the flea youkai in the same manner as Inuyasha himself had done countless times before.

Said hanyou chuckled at the sight, recalling all the times his wife had scolded him in the past about how it wasn’t nice to squash Myouga, even if it didn’t really hurt him. Funny how quickly that changed when it was her baby’s blood that was in question. Don’t screw with a bitch protecting her young.

“So what did you want, old man?” Inuyasha asked quietly, while silently pulling down the collar of his suikan, indicating his willingness to offer a small amount of his own blood in place of their son’s. For once, Inuyasha was feeling sympathetic towards his father’s loyal vassal, who had saved his own life on more than one occasion, as well as Kagome’s.

After drinking merely enough that his tiny body about doubled in size, what passed for a smile was plastered upon the old insect’s face. Bowing his thanks, and removing his handkerchief to briefly wipe his brow, he stated finally…

“Your presence is requested in the West.”

Inuyasha glanced up toward Kagome, smiling at the grin he saw her flash in his direction as well, as understanding dawned instantly.

“Well well well,” Inuyasha chuckled, “Girl or boy?” he asked next.

“A daughter…” the flea answered, adding “Suishoukaze.”

“Wow…” Kagome commented, “Pretty.”

“Let ‘em know we’ll head out in a couple days.” Inuyasha answered his humble servant, “Sango just whelped her pup as well, so we should make sure they‘re comfortable before we go gallivantin’ around.” He paused, and Myouga nodded his understanding, surprised when he heard his master continue with, “Plus, there’s a couple leaky roofs I ain’t fixed yet.” It was mumbled softly, as an after thought.

Myouga grinned. Inuyasha’s parents would have been so proud of him.

``````````````````````

“Are you well?”

“Yes.” she answered, sighing contentedly.

“Do you require nourishment?”

“No.”

“Do you desire sleep?” he asked next, hearing her sigh once more.

“Not at this time.”

“Are you certain there is nothing-”

*RrrRrrrrr* Kagura interrupted, in a soft growl which, politely, meant “shut up.”

Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow at her, and was about to say something else, when a soft knock at the door stopped him.

“Yes?” both he and his mate responded at once, fully aware of whom it was that waited on the other side of the screen.

“May I come in?” Rin asked shyly, sliding the shoji open only enough to gaze into their chamber.

While Rin had ventured within the walls of her Lord’s personal chambers in the past, those instances were few and far between, at the direct spoken permission of the Taiyoukai, and usually only during the middle of the night, after she had been disturbed by visions of wolves in her sleep. Her nightmares happened much less frequently as of late, but during the few times in the last year that one had disturbed her, she’d gone instead to Wenying’s quarters. Rin had not once even attempted to approach Sesshoumaru’s bedroom after Kagura had become his mate. She made the venture now because one, it was early afternoon, and therefore, she knew they were awake, and two, they would not be engaged in anything personal for at least a week since Kagura had just birthed their daughter. Thirdly, said infant was simply too strong a temptation to keep her away.

“You may.” Sesshoumaru answered without hesitation.

Kagura smiled, and rocked the bundle in her arms in an attempt at rousing the youth.

“Your sister wants to meet you…” the wind-youkai cooed to her infant.

Rin smiled at Kagura’s words, but otherwise showed no indication that she acknowledged the meaning behind her statement. Rin was getting better at hiding her human emotions, while Sesshoumaru, at the same time, was slowly getting used to showing his. Gradually, the two had come to a sort of unspoken understanding. Rin knew he loved her, and the tiny sparkle in his eyes upon witnessing her smile was all the proof she needed.

Rin also knew it would insult her Lord if she were to refer to Suishoukaze as their only daughter, so when she found herself about to comment to her Lord regarding the pup, instead of saying “Your daughter…” she began her sentence differently.

“She is strong.” she said simply, watching her words.

After living amongst youkai for so long, Rin had developed a sixth sense for feeling out demonic auras. She was not a miko, and lacked spiritual powers, but just like Sango and her Taijiya brethren, Rin could feel when there was a strong youkai near by.

Continuing after taking a moment to smile down at the wide-eyed, crimson gaze of her baby sister, Rin nodded as though confirming a suspicion, before stating...

“She would indeed make a strong ruling Lady of the West, though I pray the opportunity never arises.”

Sesshoumaru smiled at her words, inwardly, of course, while outwardly, he did offer Rin a small nod in acknowledgment of her meaning.

“I know I am only human…” she started up again, surprising both Sesshoumaru and Kagura by the seriousness of her voice. The child was not yet thirteen, but showed a maturity comparable to the centuries old youkai in her company as she spoke. “…But I swear…” she continued, “…If any new enemies should befall us, I will protect your heir with my life.”

“Rin…” he spoke in stunned awe, the tone of his voice, for once, instantly betraying how he felt. Kagura was less reserved, and had gasped loudly at the statement. Sesshoumaru gathered himself after merely a moment, and attempted to formulate a proper response. There were so many possible responses, too, that had instantly flooded his mind. Part of him wanted to argue, stating “It is I who protects you.” while another part of his mind, the part that was grateful the girl knew her place, thought to answer “As you should.” though he inwardly shivered at the coldness of such a statement. “I would expect no less.” was a little better of an answer, yet still, he did not wish for Rin to believe that she would ever truly be placed in such a situation. Were someone so powerful that he had been overthrown to storm their fortress, he seriously doubted there would be much Rin could do, regardless. She was, after all, only a human. The girl didn’t even know how to fight. Something sparkled behind his eyes then, that made Rin feel a little more at ease after her Lord’s continued silence had started to wear on her nerves. Finally, after merely having voiced her name aloud, and nothing else of his thoughts, Sesshoumaru continued to respond orally, asking a question she never in a million years would have thought he’d ask her.

“Would you like to learn how to fight?”

It was Rin’s turn to gasp in surprise, while Kagura smiled approvingly, and seemingly as if she too agreed with the notion, Suishokaze cooed happily in her native puppy language that she was content among her family. As Rin closed the distance between herself and Kagura, leaning forward and brushing her fingers across her baby sister’s cheek, said pup continued to purr and gurgle mirthfully, a clear indicator that the youkai infant was not upset by Rin’s presence, but rather, had accepted her as a member of the pack.

Continuing to gaze into the child’s crimson orbs, something canine snapped inside the human girl, as a sense of pack flooded her.

“Yes Father,” she answered with pride, “I would.”

``````````````````

“Are you sure you want me to go with you?” Shippo asked uncertainly.

“Feh.” Inuyasha grumbled, “What the hell kind of question is that?” he snapped.

“Don’t you want to go see Rin?” Kagome asked, gently placing her hand upon her mate’s shoulder as a silent request to calm down.

Shuffling the canine paw that was his foot nervously upon the ground, the kitsune child finally answered, “Well, ya…but he’s already gotta carry you and Kazuki…I’d slow you guys down.” he explained humbly.

“Feh…” Inuyasha grumped to himself, stomping away.

“What your father means Shippo…” the miko happily translated, “Is that we’re a family, or pack rather, and should stay together.”

“I didn’t mean-”

She cut him off…

“You’re right that he can’t carry all three of us, at least not safely…” she started, and he lowered his head, “So why not be the big boy I know you are and follow us of your own power?” she asked suddenly.

He lifted his head at her question, and answered “I can’t run as fast as he can.”

“And you never will with an attitude like that.” Inuyasha said out of nowhere, suddenly standing right next to them again. “You’re a kitsune…” he pointed out, confessing “I guess this is my fault. I’m raising you like an inu, and you ain’t one.”

Kagome, not quite understanding where her mate was going with that line of talk, attempted to step up on Shippo’s behalf, explaining “Dogs and foxes are very similar to one another.”

“Keh…” he answered, waving absently as he added, “But an inu can’t turn himself into a bird.”

Kagome’s eyes widened in understanding, as did Shippo’s.

“Hey, yeah!” he answered happily, remembering the last time he’d turned himself into a bird, carrying Kagome, no less. Pulling out a leaf from within his vest, he stated “I can’t run as fast as you, but I can fly pretty damn fast.”

Kagome frowned at his use of the word “damn” but chose to let it go, smiling as her son happily placed the leaf upon his forehead. With a dramatic *poof* of magic, his humanoid appearance was gone, a seagull-like bird flapping a few feet above the ground in its place.

“I especially like the bow.” she teased just like before, noticing how Shippo’s bird form still revealed a titian ponytail growing out of the feathers on his head, tied back with his blue ribbon.

“Feh.” he answered, and Kagome and Inuyasha both did a double-take at each other when they realized, he hadn’t deliberately used his father’s catch-phrase as a joke, but rather, it’d simply come naturally.

Smiling uncontrollably, Kagome cinched up the sling that cradled Kazuki to her chest, before she carefully positioned herself upon Inuyasha’s back in such a way that she wouldn’t crush their son.

After feeling that his wife and youngest pup were settled, Inuyasha glanced back approvingly at the transformed kitsune who patiently waited for the word.

“Let’s go.” he said as he took off at slightly slower pace than usual. They’d still reach the West before nightfall.

```````````````````````

Watching his wife breast-feed their daughter, Miroku stared in awe, a large smile gracing his lips.

“That is truly amazing.” he commented absently, humbled by the female body’s ability to produce food.

“Women are amazing creatures.” Sango stated in return, smiling down at the little bundle that continued to happily suckle her fill of dinner.

“I have always appreciated that fact.” the ex-monk defended, unsettled by Sango’s tone, as though she were implying something he should have known.

“Good…” she teased behind a smile, “Just remember how well you ‘appreciated’ women…when our little Emi grows into one, herself.”

“Kami-sama…” He visibly paled, envisioning the future lechers that would be after his daughter. His daughter…

No way in hell
. he thought defiantly.

“They’ll have to go through me.” he stated in a very fatherly manner.

Sango merely continued to smile, while Emi looked up at her intently as she fed, her baby blues already speckled with flakes of brown.

A throat clearing earned the attention of both adults for the adolescent Taijiya that stood awkwardly in the doorway.

“Yes Kohaku, what is it?” Sango asked calmly.

The fifteen year old blushed, and tried not to look at what, exactly, his sister was doing, while nervously shuffling his feet, as he attempted to ask “I wanted to know…that is, rather…would it be all right…”

“Yes…?” she prompted after realizing that he’d paused.

“I know this might be bad timing…what with Emi and all, but…”

“Kohaku.”

“Woulditbea llrightifIinvitedKaoriandhermotheroverfordinner?”

She blinked…

“What was that?”

“Would it be all right if I invited Kaori and her mother over for dinner?” he asked again, much slower that time, with an air of bashfulness.

Sango smiled in realization almost instantly. Well, it was about time. She knew that girl had only had eyes for her brother ever since the three of them had settled down over a year ago.

“It’s not poor timing at all, sweetheart.” she assured her younger brother, asking Miroku “What do you think?” more for the sake of the act itself than anything else, as she knew he’d agree with her wholeheartedly.

“Why, I think it’s a wonderful idea.” he cheered over enthusiastically, causing the youth to blush once more. “This is cause for celebration.” he continued to tease.

“I’ll go…let them know…” Kohaku mumbled awkwardly before scampering out of his sister and brother-in-law’s room. His human hearing didn’t pick up on the soft chuckles that drifted through the air at his departure.