InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, Life Goes On… ( Chapter 72 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================






Chapter 72 - Life goes on…





Uncle meeting niece was an experience neither the child’s parents, nor Kagome, would forget any time soon. Inuyasha was surprised when Kagura proceeded to practically dump her daughter into his arms, but that was because he had been hesitant to take her when originally asked. Youkai infants weren’t nearly as fragile as human ones, or even hanyou. Not that you would…but you could drop a youkai child, and the fall would cause absolutely no damage whatsoever. So it wasn’t as if Inuyasha was nervous to hold Suishoukaze merely because she was a two-day-old-infant. He was nervous to hold her because she was Sesshoumaru’s two-day-old-infant.

When the ominous aura that was his brother appeared in the room behind him, the hanyou turned slowly, ears erect in a non-threatening posture. Kagome and Kagura were off discussing ‘baby’ things somewhere with Kazuki, and Shippo had taken off with Rin the moment they’d arrived. It was only the two of them when Sesshoumaru quietly stated…

“She shall be the first of her kind.”

Raising an eyebrow in question, Inuyasha uncertainly asked “The first demi-inu/wind hybrid?”

It was true, after all…

“The first pure youkai that will harbor no prejudice toward hanyou.”

At his brother’s words, Inuyasha almost did drop the baby, but he recovered himself just as quickly as he’d faltered, and gazing down into his brand new niece’s blood-red eyes, he suddenly envisioned the future, their future. His son and his niece, growing up together, as friends…as equals…

Flabbergasted, he attempted, and failed, to express his gratitude at such a simple statement. He only got out the first two words before he was interrupted.

“Aniki, I…-”

“Did you just refer to this Sesshoumaru as ‘aniki’?” the Taiyoukai asked in unmasked surprise.

Cringing, Inuyasha’s ears lowered upon his head, as he mentally kicked himself for such a foolish slip of the tongue.

“I’m sorry…I didn’t mean-”

“Do not apologize.” Sesshoumaru interrupted again. “The term is accurate.” he added behind a mask of indifference.

Inuyasha smiled.

````````

Inuyasha and Kagome stayed in the castle for two weeks before finally convincing Shippo that it was time to head home. For as self-sacrificing as he’d tried to be, in not originally planning on even joining his parents on their journey in the first place, once the young (but growing) kitsune was back in Rin’s presence, they practically had to drag him away from the West by his tail.

While there, the new moon had come and gone, but that was of little consequence since it was no longer his time of weakness. Not that everyone in the castle hadn’t already been made aware of his previous monthly transformations, anyway, after the battle with Daikomaru. It wasn’t that his transformation, or near death, had become gossip amongst the halls. Everyone knew damn well when to keep their lips sealed, lest their lips becoming permanently separated from their body, but most dwelling within the castle walls were inu, and as such, could undoubtedly smell what had happened. So it was with amusement that on the night of the new moon, Inuyasha and his family had joined Sesshoumaru in the dinning hall, just like every other evening, earning a few confused glances and braved whispers. While it was obvious Inuyasha was now stronger, and in full control over his youkai and human blood, and apparently no longer susceptible to the night of the new moon, nobody had dared to question how such an occurrence had come about.

But even though Inuyasha knew he could easily kick any of their assess (and even if he couldn’t, Sesshoumaru sure as hell could) he knew better than to risk the safety of his own pup, which is why he’d insisted that they stay no longer than two weeks, so as not to reveal Kazuki’s night of weakness. Sesshoumaru had assured his brother that there were no threats within the castle walls, but while Inuyasha knew he could trust his brother…he simply wouldn’t be a fit father, or pack leader, if he blindly turned over protection of his family to somebody else. While he acknowledged that in Sesshoumaru’s presence, he was the alpha - and indeed, he did reveal in secret Kazuki’s time to his brother, when Sesshoumaru had insisted he do so - Inuyasha was still not so submissive as to abandon his own duties. Nor would Sesshoumaru expect otherwise.

Before they left, Kagome spent an inordinately long amount of time cooing with Kagura over their precious little daughter, and knowing that, Inuyasha had comically conceded one night that now that he’d had his son, they could have as many girls as Kagome wanted. She’d laughed, and thanked him, while pointing out that it wasn’t exactly as though either of them truly had a choice in the matter. He’d merely shrugged in response, and while wagging his eyebrows suggestively, reminded her that he now had “full control” over his body. Kagome had wondered something at that moment, and had rolled over in the futon to face him, quietly whispering “Sit boy” so softly, that he’d barely heard her. When he felt his body stiffen, being magically pressed against the bed, momentarily preventing any movements, he’d quirked an eyebrow at her questioningly. Kagome, in turn, had breathed a sigh of relief, before wagging her own eyebrows, as she seductively replied that, apparently, she still had full control over his body, as well.

“That you do…” he’d purred in her ear, before pulling her on top of him.

Shippo’s nights, to which his parents had readily agreed, were spent in Rin’s quarters…with Sesshoumaru’s permission, of course. The children were too young to “do” anything, though Sesshoumaru was not fooled when it came to the kitsune’s possible future intentions toward his adopted daughter. Unbeknownst to his parents, Sesshoumaru had pulled the kitsune aside the first evening of their arrival, when Wenying had come to the gardens and told both he and Rin that it was time to turn in for the night.

**Flashback**

“Kitsune…” His voice held a firmness that stated he was not to be ignored, but otherwise, no emotions could be discerned.

Shippo nervously told Rin to go ahead and go inside, because she was human, and she’d better obey Wenying and get indoors before it got too cold for her. Bowing her understanding and compliance, the human girl hummed a happy tune as she followed her life-long nanny out of the gardens.

“Yes, Sesshoumaru-sama?” Shippo asked hesitantly, once the two of them were alone.

“Precisely when did you plan on seeking my approval for courting Rin?” he asked pointblank, his demeanor as stoic as ever.

“I’m not…we’re just…” he stuttered nervously, “She’s my friend.” he managed to get out.

“This Sesshoumaru is not blind.” he stated next, adding “I see quite clearly the way you look at her.”

Shippo was terrified for all of five seconds, until he caught an odd twinkle in Sesshoumaru’s eyes, which gave him the distinct impression he was being teased. Sesshoumaru smiled inwardly and nodded to the boy, when he sensed his fear leaving him. He demanded respect from all those under him, unquestioningly, but those of his family should not fear him, and the kitsune pup was family.

“You care for her well-being, and feel a desire to always protect her.” It wasn’t a question.

“Yes, sir.” he answered, bowing with respect, but no longer averting his eyes in fear.

“You will have to prove to this Sesshoumaru that you are worthy.” he went on, adding, “Rin has begun a regiment of training sessions, in order to improve upon herself and her abilities. I will expect no less from you, unless you desire to appear weak in my eyes, as well as Rin’s.”

Taiyoukai 101: Always know your enemy’s strengths and weaknesses. Kitsune were renowned for being pranksters and tricksters, but that behavior stemmed from their lacking of more direct battle skills. In order to beat their enemy, illusions and magic were required. In hand-to-hand combat, a kitsune would almost certainly lose. That weakness, Sesshoumaru would not tolerate. But he also knew that while kitsune, in general, might not be the most honorable of youkai, that particular child had a promising start by having been adopted by his brother. While it was important that the child learn to hone in on his natural abilities, it was equally important that he train in the more direct techniques of battle, lest he fall at the hands of someone whose mind would not be fooled by mere illusion. Another weakness of kitsune? Fearing the act of being weak, itself. Their snotty attitudes and superior demeanors stemmed from an underlying inferiority complex associated with their physical stature. Tricking a trickster wasn’t as complicated as one would think; it was a matter of simple manipulation. How did you get a kitsune to prove its strength? Call it weak.

Shippo’s chest puffed out with pride and determination at Sesshoumaru’s words, before he raised his head high, meeting the Taiyoukai’s piercing gaze with one of his own.

“I give you my word.” he stated in a maturity beyond his years, reminding Sesshoumaru very much of Rin herself in that moment.

**End Flashback**

Heading out of the castle grounds, Shippo made his reluctant goodbye to Rin short and sweet, with the promise of seeing her again real soon. Rin, to her credit, hadn’t wanted the kitsune to leave any more than he did, but she knew at the same time that he couldn’t stay forever. He lived with his parents, who did not live there in the castle. She smiled when upon asking Sesshoumaru if she could, one day, travel to her uncle’s village to visit Shippo herself, he had nodded his approval, stating that after she completed the next level of her training, she and Jaken would be permitted to make such a journey upon Ah-Un.

How did you get a human child to rapidly excel in their training? Offer a strongly desired reward upon completion. He permitted his smile to become outwardly visible at the way Rin had practically flown down to the dojo, preparing to master what had only so recently been “too hard”.

``````````````````````````````````

Traveling back at a more casual pace, since they did not have the same sense of urgency to return to Musashi as they’d had regarding their venture West, Inuyasha and Kagome walked calmly side-by-side, Shippo riding upon his father’s shoulders while Kagome cuddled Kazuki within his sling. It was Shippo who eventually broke the peaceful silence.

“Otousan…” he started, waiting to be sure he’d captured Inuyasha’s undivided attention before continuing, “Will you teach me how to fight?”

The odd question earned a raised eyebrow, which Shippo could not see from his spot upon his father’s shoulders, as the adult hanyou answered

“Of course, but don’t you want to enjoy childhood a little longer first?”

He’d seen no reason to rush Shippo’s transition into adulthood, considering both he and Kagome, not to mention Miroku, Sango, Kohaku, and even Kaede, were all ample protection for the young kit. Sure, it was true that he himself had been on his own from an age even younger than Shippo had been when he’d first joined their group, but all the more reason why he’d wanted to spoil the child. That decision had also come from his mate, who had explained that while children seemed to grow up so quickly in that time, back in her own century kids were allowed to stay just that for much, much longer. He’d been enjoying his time teaching Shippo how to hunt, how to hone in on his animal instincts, and trust his senses, but something like swordplay hadn’t honestly crossed the hanyou’s mind.

“I’m old enough.” Shippo stated matter-of-factly, pulling his father from his thoughts.

It was true, but due to his size, it was sometimes easy to forget the kit was actually eleven years old now. Kohaku had been the same age when he’d joined his sister for his first battle. Inuyasha shuddered quietly, remembering how that battle had ended. True, he hadn’t known them back then, but Kohaku had told him of the events in morbid detail during their talks. Talking about it had helped the youth to finally accept that his actions were not his own, and now, he was still an avid Taijiya, and used his weapon without the slightest hint of hesitation. Then Inuyasha thought of something else. When it came to actual form and style, he was probably the worst example for teaching Shippo how to fight. It wasn’t exactly as though anyone had ever taught him. He more or less just swung Tetsusaiga like a hammer…Sesshoumaru’s words.

“What brought this on?” Inuyasha asked after a moment of thinking things over.

“I just want to be strong…is all.” the kit answered hesitantly.

“For Rin?” Kagome asked knowingly, sure she’d hit it on the head at the way the kit’s scent took on a slight air of embarrassment.

The hanyou passed a knowing look sideways at his mate, smiling when he saw the way Kagome smiled and nodded in turn, indicating she agreed wholeheartedly.

“Tell ya what…” he started after a moment, “I’ll teach ya all you need to know about using your youkai attacks, but when it comes to style…” he paused, winking at Kagome, whole chuckled,

“What say you we all help ya out? Hmm?” she added, to which Shippo smiled in her direction, relieved to know she wasn’t against him learning how to fight at what she considered much too young.

Nodding to himself, Inuyasha continued, “Your mama, aunt Sango, uncle Miroku and Kohaku…” he listed happily, to which Shippo smiled brightly, “We’ll make ya the strongest damn brat you can be, with all our combined knowledge.”

Think kitsune are weak, do you aniki? he chuckled mentally, Just wait and see…just wait and see.

````````````````````

Hundreds of miles West, a young human girl of only twelve worked herself into a furious sweat, as she battled her sparing partner. For a human, her desire to fight was odd in that she was a female. To Rin’s knowledge of human women, it was mainly only miko who learned how to battle, and only with spiritual powers - which she lacked - and a bow as their physical weapon. But she also knew that other female warriors existed, her uncle’s friend Sango coming to mind. What had it been like for her? Rin wondered. Growing up the only female Taijiya... But to the youkai she currently partnered against, there was nothing unusual in a female learning to fight, and Nekobi treated her new role as sensei with honor.

After having personally dispatched the traitor Neisho during the battle against Daikomaru, Nekobi had retreated to the castle with many others, per Sesshoumaru’s orders, and while most had gone to Kagura’s side, Nekobi had joined Wenying with guarding the young human girl.

Now, sword in hand, the neko-youkai battled against her mortal pupil, brandishing her single - and deep - wound with pride, as it showed of Rin’s accomplishment. The swords they used were quite real, Nekobi’s youkai abilities ensuring she would not accidentally break Rin’s skin. Whenever Rin had faltered, she ceased her swing an inch above the girls’ flesh. Rin’s reflexes weren’t nearly as fine tuned, though, and when her sword had struck Nekobi’s side, she dropped the blade in shock, apologizing profusely. The neko’s reaction had been to laugh at herself, embarrassed at having underestimated the young human’s speed and abilities. Keeping her senses on full alert after that, Rin hadn’t gotten in any more licks, but Nekobi was certain that that would change, with time.

``````````````````````````

Back in Kaede’s village, the gang wasted no time in starting Shippo on his training. After all, he wasn’t getting any younger, and if he had any hope of meeting Sesshoumaru’s standards of strength, there was no time to lose.

Inuyasha went into overdrive with helping Shippo develop his natural kitsune abilities. Turning himself into a bird in order to keep up with him as he ran was only the beginning. Kagome had snickered, silently thinking that the exercises were likely excellent training for her husband, as well. After all, even though he now had full control over his youkai blood, he wasn’t in the habit of exhibiting that ability. But, as a hanyou, his sense of smell wasn’t quite as strong as that of a pure youkai, and with Shippo’s ability to mask his scent as part of his illusions, it was sometimes hard for Inuyasha to locate him. That, of course, was the point of the activity, but…in order to make sure Shippo’s scent masking abilities were at their peak, Inuyasha was forced to shift himself into a full youkai. They kept at it until even his full youkai form had difficulty detecting Shippo’s scent. Only then did he allow the boy to rest.

Kagome had pointed out that it would be best to mix his training up a little, and to not continually drill one particular activity over and over again relentlessly. So, with keeping with that logic, the next day had belonged to Kohaku, who ‘attacked’ Shippo with his scythe, forcing the kit to dodge his rather professional efforts, by any means necessary. Kohaku was the victim of numerous acorn peltings, as well as finding himself stuck in a sticky web-like substance.

Defense was all fine and good, but when it was Inuyasha’s turn again, the pair worked on his offense. Reminding Shippo of the time he’d managed to sense the Wind Scar, they worked on honing in on Shippo’s youki strengths and attacks, other than illusion. Adorning his robes of fire-rat, Inuyasha was fairly well protected against Shippo’s fox-fire attack, which had dramatically increased in strength over the years. Inuyasha also explained to Shippo how to use his illusion powers in conjunction with his physical strength, as the young kit transformed himself into a mimic of his father (plus fox tail - they’d have to work on that) and the two promptly engaged in hand-to-hand combat. He took it easy on the kit, throwing punches the child could easily dodge, because the true nature of the exercise was to prolong the length of time with which the kitsune could hold onto his illusion. Distracting him with taunts, until the kit was so riled up that he actually wanted to pound into his father, it wasn’t until Inuyasha finally knocked him on his ass - the illusion never faltering once - that the real inu-hanyou pointed out that fact to his double. The shocked expression on Shippo’s face was comical, as the kit consciously dropped the illusion, realizing he’d never once felt the strain of his mask threatening to fall against his will.

Training went on in similar fashion daily. Shippo practiced masking his youki signature from Miroku, his scent from Kirara, and honed in on the strength of his physical illusions with his mother. Could Kagome tell her squirrel from all the other squirrels? Puffed up in his pink balloon form, he worked on the simplicity of increasing his physical strength, though he didn’t appreciate the irony Inuyasha seemed to find oh-so humorous, as he carried his father around the forest. The speed training was simpler. No holds barred, Kagome had said behind a smile, as she waved her two boys off, like the cheerleader of a drag strip. The principle was simple enough. Inuyasha was racing through the forest, launching himself from tree to tree, and Shippo was to keep up with him, by any means necessary.

“You’re a kitsune, first and foremost.” Inuyasha had insisted. “Never forget who you are.”

That said, he took off at nearly the top speed of his hanyou form, and smiled when he glanced behind himself, seeing the panther Shippo had become leap through the trees just as effortlessly.

It wouldn’t be long now. Inuyasha had discussed it with his wife, and Kagome had agreed. In only a few short weeks of continual training, everyone could see how quickly Shippo was advancing, and it actually made him feel a little guilty for having neglected his duties before then. Kagome had eased his conscious, though, reminding him that they had agreed that they’d wait for Shippo to come to them with his desires for training, not wishing to rob the boy of his innocence too soon. It was true, also, that if they had forced such training upon him before he’d truly desired it, that the results would have likely been much different. Doing it the way they were, Shippo wasn’t merely complying with what his parents wished him to, but rather, he had his own passions driving him forward. That was why he was succeeding so rapidly.

Yes, it definitely wouldn’t be too long now. Perhaps in a year, perhaps two, but no later than that. Inuyasha wondered how easily Totosai would be able to combined his fang with one of Shippo’s, but he knew that a sword of his fang alone wouldn’t do, with the pup not being of his own blood. No, they’d need both of their fangs incorporated within the weapon to ensure that a sword of the Inu fang would not reject the kitsune. The hanyou also wondered in passing if a sword made from a kitsune’s fang would possess some sort of illusionary ability.

They’d just have to wait and see.

``````````````````````````

Further North, in the height of the mountains, in a clearing whose shadows still remained covered by patches of melting snow, a gathering took place to mourn he who had fallen. A battle had not taken him, unless you counted Father Time as an enemy. Everyone had known this day was soon in coming. Everyone had prepared, as best they could, for the day their leader’s advanced age finally failed him. The promised marriage had come to pass, much to everyone’s relief, and their pack was stronger because of the union. A sad smile slowly graced her features. At least he had lived long enough to witness the birth of his great-granddaughter. After nearly a millennium, the Northern lands would now fall into the hands of a new leader.

As first order of business, she summoned a messenger to deliver word to the other three compass lands regarding their shift in power. While her people did not dwell within the sophisticated walls of a human-like castle, that did not mean they were strangers to the formality of nobility. She knew quite well that the other Lords had all looked down upon her people for their barbaric lifestyle, but at the same time, had respected her grandfather’s age and power. If she were to ensure that their respect now transferred over to herself, she had to present herself as a strong opponent. She wasn’t truly worried about the South; they kept to themselves more than anything. She had also heard that a recent uprising between the East and West had left the Eastern lands virtually deserted, what remained of its people currently under the gentle rule of Daikomaru’s widowed mate, Tsukie.

No, she knew her greatest concerns rested in the reaction of the West. She knew her mate and Lord Sesshoumaru’s mate had a turbulent history, not to mention Lord Inuyasha. Oh yes, they’d received word of the hanyou’s joint rule in the West, everyone had. That was why they’d kept their distance till then. She could only hope that they could let bygones be bygones, as the saying went. Hopefully, if Kagome had any true standing in her own position, enough so to make her voice heard in matters such as these, then she knew she’d have nothing to worry about.

“You summoned, Lady Ayame?” her messenger asked as he entered her cave.

“Yes.” the she-wolf responded with a forced air of superiority, “You will deliver these.” she instructed, handing him three scrolls.

“Yes Mistress.” her ookami servant answered, before bowing humbly, and heading out on his journey.