InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Some men are born great… ( Chapter 73 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================





Chapter 73 - Some men are born great…




Avoiding Kagome during her heat wasn’t as hard for Inuyasha as one might think, no pun intended. But he knew very well that Kagome desired to wait at least until their son was two or three years old before having another child, and he would respect her wishes. After all, they had centuries with which to have children, so there was nothing wrong with spacing them a little further apart.

But with the pull of her heat, and mating season combined, the strain was simply too much for his inu senses to handle, and so, rather logically, he decided to turn himself human throughout the duration of her heat cycle. Problem solved. But every solution was not without its own complications. That of course meant that Inuyasha was human, in actuality, for longer than merely one single night. While it was true that such a solution was temporary, and only necessary during the spring, it still made for one grumpy hanyou. He absolutely hated being in his human form, but it was at least necessary for the three nights he slept next to his fertile wife. During the day he simply couldn’t stand to keep the transformation going continuously, and had often taken to walks in the woods to clear his head, during which time he turned himself back into his hanyou-self. He conceded that permitting his youkai blood to rest periodically was necessary, however, and truthfully thought that donning his human appearance while in close proximity to Kagome’s luring heat scent, was the best logical decision. It killed two birds with one stone, if he understood her futuristic expression correctly.

True, it upset little Kazuki, to detect his father’s human scent while lacking any inu properties. The infant was simply too young to understand. All the more reason why Inuyasha often just kept to himself, as himself, during the majority of the day. Kagome, for her part, understood and sympathized with her mate, and didn’t push the issue. She knew he’d be able to resist her heat once mating season was over. It was just the two forces combined…she shuddered to think of what would’ve happened if he hadn’t gained his control. He’d have lost himself, almost certainly, transforming into his full youkai against his will. Not that he would ever hurt her, absolutely not. But it would be nice to wait a little while before working on the daughter he’d promised her.

In her arms, Kazuki bubbled happily, completely oblivious to the stress his parents were currently under. That was the one good thing about his human nights…Kazuki was no longer fine-tuned to mommy’s moods and emotions. With the raven-haired Inuyasha coming up behind her to wrap his arms lovingly around her torso, they looked like an average human family. They were not, however, if the titian-haired kitsune that entered next was any indicator.

Inuyasha, of course, could change back at moment’s notice, were danger to strike. But Kagome assured him that she smelled no threats in the immediate area, to which Shippo readily confirmed. Kagome still lost her inu senses once a month, the youkai blood flowing within her veins being that of Inuyasha before his increase in strength from the jewel, but that meant that Kagome lost her enhanced senses during the night of the new moon, not the full moon. So tonight, she promised she would be all ears, eyes, and noses, ensuring that she kept her family safe. Little Shippo promised to help her, of course, as he puffed out his chest with pride, assuring his father that nothing would sneak up on them. It wasn’t as though anything could sneak up on them, though, inu nose or no inu nose, considering the strength of her miko powers. She felt every demonic aura within at least a five mile radius, be it good or bad, and should, in theory, an evil human decide to take it upon himself to seek hostilities…let’s just say, Kagome didn’t condone killing humans, but wouldn’t hesitate to protect her family, either.

The following morning was comical, it being the first morning Kagome could ever recall involving Inuyasha and the expression “over slept”. It was perfectly understandable, all things considered. He had about two centuries of sleep to catch up on, if you took into account all the sleepless nights of his youth, especially during the new moon. It wasn’t that he wasn’t tired. As a human, his body needed just as much sleep as the next guy, but any fatigue he’d felt had disappeared the moment the sun came up and his youkai blood returned. He had gotten into the habit of getting by with little to no sleep, and it had become second nature. But more recently, with the fall of his enemies, the union of his brother, the strength of his mate, and the overall feeling of contentment he had with his life, the hanyou was slowly but surely getting his body more accustomed to the idea of laying down in a bed for extended periods of time. Especially when he had such a lovely woman to share said bedding with. Then, take into account that his youkai blood did not automatically arrive with the sun, ensuring his rousing, and you had a terribly amused Kagome gazing lovingly at a slumbering human Inuyasha in the late hours of morning. She just didn’t have the heart to wake him.

Kazuki, on the other hand, was wide awake, and craving attention. Kagome, in her stealth, managed to get both of her sons outside while letting their father catch up on his much needed rest. He’d been up nearly all night with her, after all, his instincts not permitting himself to lower his guard during his son’s mortal night, despite his own fatigue. Kagome wondered idly if she could make herself some sort of perfume that would be powerful enough to distract her mate’s nose during such times that her heat corresponded with his. After all, even though it was only for a few days a month, and only for three months a year, it’d still get real old real quick as the years turned into decades.

```````````````````````````````

He never honestly thought he would see the day when he’d openly proclaim that he envied Inuyasha’s youkai heritage, but the way he could communicate with their son through his instinctual tongue had done it. He envied him. Miroku wished that he had such a talent. Especially right then, as he slowly paced back and forth, a wailing Emi cradled tenderly in his arms.

It was his turn. Sango had already walked her for a good two hours, and was currently at Kaede’s to see if the old miko had any suggestions, or herbs.

“Ye cannot give an infant sleep herbs, child.” Kaede admonished softly, knowing that Sango knew that, but that it was just something to say, at that point in her frustration.

The ex-slayer agreed wholeheartedly with her husband; she wished they could communicate with their child. But alas, humans were not so lucky. They had no clue if Emi was too hot, too cold, hungry, in pain… They’d tried everything they could think of, to no avail. Kaede had said it could be something Kagome called colic, but from what she understood of the condition, Sango prayed that wasn’t it. That had never happened before, and it was getting a little unnerving. Unfortunately, the elder miko had no immediate suggestions since it had turned out that the young parents had already done anything she would have recommended trying.

Having easily heard the commotion, Inuyasha rushed over of his own accord, and upon being informed of the situation, tried to see if he could help his friends and pack mates. His ability to sniff out strong emotions determined that their young daughter was seriously distressed, almost terrified, but unfortunately, he too had no idea why. Did she have a nightmare? Had she seen a rodent of some sort? All he could conclude was that something was bothering her.

“Anyone with ears could figure out that much.” taunted Shippo, who had followed his father to Miroku’s hut. The comment nearly earned him a pound on the head, which would have landed had the kit not successfully dodged at the last minute.

Hmph, runt’s getting too quick. the hanyou grudged mentally, as he walked out the door saying he would fetch Kagome.

Once the young miko arrived on the scene, she came up with the brilliant idea of trying to distract the youth, as opposed to coddling, to which Shippo had happily offered his immediate assistance. Unfortunately, his giant pink balloon form was apparently very terrifying for young human infants, as the stench of her fear only increased, as did the sound of her wails.

When Inuyasha reentered, Kazuki in his arms, the piercing cries of the human infant transferred themselves over into their son, who immediately began to scream his own head off. Kagome and Inuyasha couldn’t understand Kazuki’s human cries any more than Sango or Miroku could understand Emi’s, and while Kagome caught a few rouge whimpers that basically revealed that he was upset over the fact that somebody else was upset, she couldn’t for the life of her get him to settle down. Inuyasha tried his best, too, but his barks and yips of “hush up” merely received whines of “make it stop” in return.

Surprisingly enough, though, after only a few moments of Kazuki going off, Emi immediately quieted down, as if she couldn’t believe her own ears. The infant adopted a rather cute look of confusion upon her face, as if to say she didn’t understand where the other cries were coming from, and trying to figure it out had in turn successfully distracted her from whatever it was that had spooked her in the first place. As soon as Emi finally stopped crying, it only took Kazuki a moment to realize that the wails he’d heard had ceased, and then he too quieted down. Fortunately for them all, after Kazuki got quiet, Emi remained quiet, as opposed to starting the whole routine up again, as she had a very “What was I saying?” look upon her face, as though she had forgotten whatever it was that had bothered her in the first place.

Nobody ever did figure out what had upset her, but the bottom line was that it was apparently not colic, as Inuyasha had at least been able to determine that she’d been upset emotionally, as opposed to being in physical discomfort, and they had also learned a very valuable trick. The next time Emi decided to act up, they would immediately bring Kazuki over, to talk some sense into her, they had chuckled.

````````````````````````````````````

She was no match for a fully matured youkai, which was obviously to be expected, but as Rin showed off her most recently learned battle techniques and postures, Sesshoumaru could not help but to feel pleased with her progress. As it was, the preteen could more than likely succeed against your average human bandit.

The seemingly innocent comparison triggered an unexpected sensation within his heart. He was glad…glad that he had saved Rin from her old life. Of course, he remembered very well that she had died, and he had, in fact, quite literally saved her very life. But even before that day, his very presence had interfered more than he could have ever imagined. She would not have been in the woods that day were it not for him, he’d learned. The first thing she’d done when she saw the wolf youkai attacking was to seek him out, wishing to warn him. She had likely not feared for her own life until the moment the wolves were upon her. She never had feared youkai, merely mankind. It made sense that the child feared her own kind more than she did his, considering that it was humans who had murdered her family, and beaten her to the point of turning mute.

When they were through with her training, she would be able to hold her own against a band of ninjas. He had every intention of commissioning her a demonic blade once she had fully matured. Sesshoumaru had witnessed humans master demonic weaponry before, and knew that so long as the weapon was tailored to recognize its soul wielder, and nobody else, that no harm would come should the blade fall into the wrong hands. It was about time Totosai had something else to do, he mused, considering Kagura’s blade and Kagome’s bow had been produced months prior. He couldn’t imagine life in the fire-caves proving very eventful when the youkai smith didn’t have anything to produce for one of his clients.

Perhaps it was merely his imagination running away with him, which was very unlikely, but Sesshoumaru had suddenly thought he’d detected the distinct odor of wolf. Rin did not fear the wolf youkai, though she was still plagued by the occasional nightmare regarding her death. One would naturally feel disturbed by the moment of their death, if they could truly live to recall such an occurrence, he supposed. So he did not fault her for her human tendencies in that instance. But he was curious as to why one of the ookami had chosen that precise moment to make himself known just beyond the castle gates. Sesshoumaru instantly knew the moment Rin detected the wolf’s aura, for her happy-go-lucky “Look at me daddy!” attitude came to a screeching halt, as she paused, as though in a trance.

Finally, it was Rin who spoke first, bowing lightly as she quietly voiced “We have a visitor.”

“Indeed.” was his only reply, as he swiftly vacated the dojo, leaving Rin in the safety of her instructor.

`````````````````````````````````````````

Inu yasha was stretched out on his belly, resting in the sun near Goshinboku, a happy Kazuki crawling and scampering across his back, while Kagome tried not to laugh too hard as she concentrated on gathering her herbs. Shippo was spending the day playing with the other village children, though by the looks of things, he would be permitted to play with his brother before too much longer. The little scamp seemed so much older than he actually was, nearly double his true age, and Kagome wouldn’t be surprised if he uttered his first words soon. Well, okay, his first Japanese words.

The runt finally settled himself down after a few minutes of roughhousing, once he had apparently realized that his tiny body wasn’t strong enough to move the permanent fixture that was his father. Settling down beside him then, Kazuki snuggled up against Inuyasha’s side, earning a protective arm wrapped securely around his body as Inuyasha shifted himself slightly onto his side in order to hold Kazuki against his chest, as father and son continued to bask in the sun’s warming rays.

Kagome glanced up nonchalantly, curious about the sudden lack of commotion her ears detected. Upon taking in the scene that greeted her eyes, though, her breath proceeded to hitch in her throat, and she was unable to prevent a tiny gasp from escaping her lips. The image of Inuyasha lying peacefully with his son was so surreal, and she immediately began remembering various events revolving around her time in the past, their mission, and most importantly, Inuyasha himself. He’d had such a hard life, both before, and after he’d met her. Kagome hadn’t known at the time just how desperately he had wanted to become her mate, believing his declaration of love, but also believing it mostly due to the pull of the season. While that was true, physically, she hadn’t truly grasped just how lonely he had always been. His whole attraction to Kikyou had originally stemmed simply from his desire for companionship. But even then, she hadn’t accepted him for who and what he truly was. Nobody had, until herself, Kagome realized in that moment. Even their friends, Miroku and Sango, who did fully accept Inuyasha, would never have been brought into the picture were it not for her. He had shut himself out, a wall of protection erected securely around his heart, not permitting himself to get too close to anyone, lest he become hurt once more.

He had been taunted, he had been hunted, he had been injured more times than she could remember, or dare to fathom. He was filthy, and tainted, and unworthy. A dirty half-breed, deserving of punishment for simply having been born. Realizing the prejudice of the world made Kagome shudder with disgust. Now, as she gazed lovingly upon him, the half-breed, the person who had captured her heart so effortlessly and so thoroughly…she could not stop her tears from falling.

Inuyasha had heard her tiny gasp, and thought perhaps she had merely stuck her finger on a thorn, but was relieved when the faint scent of her blood never reached him. Upon detecting the odor of her tears, however, he opened his eyes, and worriedly asked

“Kagome? What’s wrong?”

He would have rushed to her side had she truly seemed distressed, but as it was, she sat calmly, a mere ten feet away, and he hadn’t wanted to disturb their sleeping infant.

“Nothing’s wrong.” she assured him with a genuine smile, as she gently wiped the tears from her face, “Everything’s just as it should be.” she added quietly, also noticing their son was asleep.

Inuyasha caught the way her gaze shifted from himself to their child, the miniature version of himself that slept nestled within his embrace, and he thought he understood. He himself had never fathomed that such a future awaited him. He was quite certain he was destined to live out his days alone and hated. When Kagome had agreed to become his mate, you could have knocked him over with a feather in his surprise, were he not simply so horny at the time. He chuckled quietly at the memory. It wasn’t until the next morning, when everything had come crashing back down upon him, that he realized just what an amazing occurrence had truly taken place.

Even as Kagome assured him that she would one day bare his children, the sheer magnitude of that promise hadn’t truly hit home, until the evening she had presented him with the swaddling cloth. They’d been getting their use out of that tiny blanket, too. It was Kazuki’s favorite. Back when he had first realized that she was pregnant, Inuyasha had suddenly found himself wishing that he could resurrect every youkai who had ever taunted him, assuring him he would die alone and unloved, and proudly proclaim In your face! Most hanyou never made it out of childhood, and even for the ones who did, they were almost certainly guaranteed a life of solitude. The only likely accepting companion of a hanyou, would in reality, be another hanyou, but they were so few and far between, that the odds of two mature hanyou finding each other would be astronomical. He himself had never encountered another half-demon until Jinenji and Shiori. As far as he knew, he was the only hanyou to have successfully mated and sired offspring.

“Hey…” he said softly, after his mind had returned to the here and now, “…come here.” he whispered, gently lifting his arm from Kazuki’s body, openly stating an invitation, which his mate accepted.

Kagome quietly closed the distance between them, settling herself on her side upon the soft grass, Kazuki snuggled securely between his parents’ bodies, as Inuyasha draped his arm across his mate.

Unconsciously taking a quick sniff to assure himself that this was real, he found he could understand his wife’s feelings, as he quietly whispered “I know, I can’t believe it either.”

Kagome smiled then, and inching her face closer to his, gently pressed her lips against his own, in a chaste reassurance that this was real, and that she wasn’t going anywhere. On a subconscious level, both had felt mild fears, that everything was simply too good to be true, and that something was bound to come along and screw it all up. Why should Inuyasha be allowed to be happy? Didn’t he deserve a life of misery? But why? Why did he deserve to be miserable? He hadn’t done anything wrong, except be born hanyou. Kagome had assured him that for all the hardships he’d faced earlier in life, karma was bound to repay him with the happiness he now deserved. The happiness he had earned. Nothing would tear them apart. Nothing could, and even if something tried, they’d simply wash their ememy’s blood from their hands once it was over.

As lost as they were in their peacefulness, the instinct for survival by far outweighed any other notion, in either of them. So as soon as the approaching demonic aura grew too great for their slumbering minds to ignore, they were each bolted awake, alert and on guard. Little Kazuki had started to fuss for all of two seconds, over having been so rudely awoken, until he too noticed the ominous feel of whatever approached, as well as the readiness of his parents, and for his part, the whelp knew instinctively to keep quiet. It only took a few moments for Kagome and Inuyasha to recognize what approached, however, and as soon as the familiar youki (and scent) reached them, they relaxed their postures, and awaited their visitor.

Ah-Un may be very old, and very powerful, but he was also very gentle.

```````````

It didn’t surprise them to see that Sesshoumaru had sent Jaken. He was perhaps not the strongest servant of the West, but he was most certainly the loyalist. They found his current fumbling amusing. The kappa hesitantly accepted their invitation indoors, unsure of how to act around Inuyasha and his family in his Lord‘s absence. The imp had always despised the half-breed, but that was simply because his Lord had despised him. Sure, a baser part of him detested hanyou in general, as most youkai did, but it was also quite clear that Inuyasha was much stronger than he was, even before Midoriko’s assistance. When you were a smaller, weaker youkai, you learned your place quickly, or you simply ceased to be. Now that Inuyasha was a Lord as well, everything was different. He’d held no qualms with mouthing off to the hanyou in the past, because he knew that his Lord would protect him. Now, Jaken was stumbling through proper titles and protocol, terrified of saying or doing the wrong thing and enticing his Lord’s wrath. Either Lord.

Kagome couldn’t help but find it amusing, and never having been one for titles herself, she immediately informed the kappa that he needn’t worry about such formalities while in their presence alone. She knew Sesshoumaru would stand for no such thing, but while it was just them, she wanted to make the small amphibian feel as comfortable as possible. He gazed at her skeptically, but she smelled honest. Releasing a breath of relief then, he attempted to act more like how he always acted in the private company of Rin, when he knew he needn’t watch too closely to what was said or how he said it. Jaken was weary, but if they did not wish him to act like the mere servant he was, then he would try his best. Inuyasha, for his part, also encouraged the imp’s candor. He was afraid the toad would prove to be too much of a suck-up, knowing full well how he acted in his brother’s presence. Hopefully, they could alleviate any fears the kappa had over retribution for ‘misbehaving’. Jaken might fear Sesshoumaru’s wrath, and with good cause, but Inuyasha didn’t want him fearing him. He didn’t roll that way. Sure, he wanted his enemies to fear him, but Jaken was no longer an enemy.

“Lord Sesshoumaru has sent me to give you this.” the imp said suddenly, presenting Inuyasha with a small scroll.

The parchment stank of wolf.

“What the hell is that about?” he asked, suspiciously pointing to the rolled paper he’d yet to take.

“Why don’t you read it and find out?” the kappa answered sarcastically, biting his tongue the instant the words left what passed for his lips, instantly afraid he may have gone too far.

“Inuyasha…” Kagome spoke softly, ignoring the imp as she reminded him “He’s no longer your enemy.” She too smelt the distinct odor that literally permeated the scroll, as well as the twinge of primal jealousy it had provoked in her husband.

Embarrassed by his overreaction, knowing very well that Kagome was right, he proceeded to take the still presented parchment from Jaken’s tiny outstretched grasp. A muttered “Feh…” passed as his attempt at concealing his submission to his mate in another’s presence.

“Stupid half-breed.” could suddenly be heard under the imp’s breath, before green hands slapped frantically over his beak, eyes pleading forgiveness. Old habits would die hard, but if he wasn’t more careful, so would he. Surprisingly, though, the comment merely earned a chuckle from said hanyou.

“I’d rather be half human than full toad.” he snickered.

“I am not a toad!”

More laughter ensued, that time on both parts. Finally…finally…Jaken actually relaxed.

“It’s important, you really should read it.” he insisted, to which Inuyasha nodded and opened the scroll.



Lord Sesshoumaru and Lord Inuyasha of the Western lands

I send this to you in a time of grieving and change for my people. My grandfather, former Leader of the White clan, and Ookami no Taisho of the Northern lands, has finally reached his end. As heiress to my people’s land, my mate, formally Ouji Kouga of the Brown clan, reins as the new Ookami no Taisho of the North. I send this notice in his stead in the hopes of mediating any lingering complications that may rest between our people. I hereby formally invite you and your families to our domain for council and refection. It would please me greatly if we could put the differences of our past behind us, and together, look towards a future of peaceful coexistence.

Lady Ayame of the Northern lands…