InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Be ❯ Will you marry me? ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I know you all have been waiting patiently and for that I have done two things. We are nearing the end of the story and I have sped up the process of those little "master" convos that seemingly make no sense. Well they will now.

And there was a bit of confusion from the last chapter about who interrupted Miroku and Sango. Just for the record it was InuYasha. I wasn't joking about remembering the events of past chapters. (At the beginning of chapter 13 InuYasha had to wait on his breakfast because of Sesshomaru and Rin's activities.)

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 14

Sango was seated in the garden partly humming and singing quietly while making another flower crown. She wasn't exactly sure why she was making the crown. Maybe she needed something to keep her hands busy.

The King had practically quarantined them inside, saying they couldn't leave the grounds without an escort. But she supposed that was the reason why this was considered the safest place in the country. They had a gone into semi-lock down because of a rumor that someone had snuck in.

The princess sighed. Why is it she had taken that particular moment to pay attention? She had been so determined to be strong and rule herself. In the little bit of time she had met Miroku, he had screw everything up. That dreamy-eyed hentai had her reconsidering all her beliefs and goals.

Before there were secret identities, misunderstandings, and doubt she could use as a shield but with Miroku's new proposal, there was none. It was entirely up to her now. Sango assumed that he thought she had not heard him. That was good. That meant that she could think about this without him waiting for an answer.

This was so confusing. She really liked being with him. That could possibly be enough to blossom into love. She just didn't want to lose who she was. If she married him then she would have nothing. Everything that was hers would be his to do with as he pleased. But maybe her problem was she looked at marriage from a negative point of view for so long that she was about to give up on someone that could make her happy.

"You have a very angelic voice."

The dark haired beauty immediately froze.

"Please, don't stop.", the voice taunted.

By now a small smile appeared on her face. He was reenacting the first time he had found her singing in the garden. How he kept sneaking up on her was a mystery to Sango.

He settled next to her.

"Why do I feel like I we've done this before?" The prince grinned.

"I don't know, but how is it you always seem to find me? Are you stalking me dear prince?"

"If I was would you mind?" The princess chose not to answer that question. Instead, she continued to smile while concentrating on harder on her crown. "I was wondering if you were up for a game of chess."

"Well I don't…"

"It will be your chance to even the score."

"Excuse you?"

"Don't you remember? I won the last game."

He tried his hardest not to smile as the competitive gleam in her eyes glowed.

"You may have won the last two games Miroku but I won the first three. And that doesn't include the game that I finished for your dog eared friend."

"Calm down princess. You won a few. I won a few. You're just losing your touch, that's all."

"What! You. Me. Chess, now!"

~*~*~*~*~

"That was a great chapter. Don't you think?"

"But he let her leave."

"Because he knew she would be happy and that's all that mattered."

"He let her leave."

"InuYasha, there is plenty of story left. It's not ending anytime soon. They still have time."

The silver haired prince folded his arms and scoffed.

"He shouldn't have let her leave."

As soon as the words left his mouth he realized he was indirectly talking about himself, Miroku too. They had both let the girls leave. He didn't want Kagome to go but he couldn't order someone else's servant to stay. And she hadn't even looked at him through the whole episode…

When he looked up at Kagome he could tell her thoughts were dancing around the same area.

"I didn't want to go. But Sango made me. Then when I came back you were mad because of Koga and-"

"I don't want to about it."

"But I just wanted-"

"No! We're past all that. There is nothing to talk about."

`I made him upset. I better fix it before he takes it out on some innocent bystander.'

She inched her way across the grass and leaned on his shoulder. InuYasha moved his arms to encircle her.

The hanyou prince hadn't meant to sound angry. It was just that this subject had created a thought that he really didn't want to explore. That they might have to have a repeat performance if Miroku couldn't change the Bitch's mind.

~*~*~*~*~

The Queen was not very happy. He was acting like she was a child. She knew that someone breaking in was bad but this was a little extreme for her taste.

"Sesshy!"

His expression never changed.

"I'm not changing my mind.", the King replied coolly with is arms folded.

"This is absurd! You can't keep us locked in here!"

"You're right."

She smiled. `Finally! He is coming to his senses.'

"They might know this is our room and look for you here. You both will be moved to the east wing."

"Sesshy!"

"Rin stop yelling."

She exhaled deeply and began talking in lower voice than before.

"I know you are mad someone got through the guards but don't let you hurt pride punish everyone."

Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed slightly.

"This has nothing to do with pride. We are supposed to be the best. Someone breaking in without being punished might provoke other miscreants to do the same. The worse part is there is no reason for anyone to want to break in right now and they have yet to make any kind of move. That means you or the baby could be in danger."

She sighed. She knew he was right.

"Didn't you forget someone?"

"I can handle myself."

His now subdued mate walked up to him and slid into his arms while tilting her head to look him in the face.

"I meant InuYasha."

"And why should I be worried about him?"

"Sweetie you pretend not to care but you do. So if you are jailing me what are you going to do to our guest?"

"Nothing."

She pulled away from him. "What!" His face crinkled as his sensitive ears became offended at her volume. "You are putting your wife and son under lock and key and you going to let everyone else parade around like nothing is wrong?"

"Rin, I told you not to yell." The demoness huffed then pouted. "Yes, that is exactly what I'm going to do. If things seem to out of the ordinary then people will become suspicious. InuYasha can take care of himself and if what happened at breakfast was any indication of how he feels about Kagome then he will not let any harm come to her. As for Miroku and Sango, Jaken says that they spend more time training then my men. They will be fine."

The Queen was stunned. "You...you…know all their names?"

"I'm failing to see the point?"

"You like them."

"Don't be ludicrous. I do not like humans."

She smiled. He would not admit it but she could tell. If he didn't care he would not have bothered to remember them.

"Okay. Whatever you say."

~*~*~*~*~

Kikyo placed a hand on her hip. Never in her life did she think she would have to track down any other man except InuYasha. She would make certain this did not happen very often.

Mira turned the corner. Maybe she could help. The woman looked rather pale even for her. Sure her skin was pure white but it seemed to be whiter than normal.

"Mira do you know where Monten or Hiten is?"

"Monten is on duty but Hiten should be in his room." The mink kept nervously smoothing her hair down. "Why?"

"I'm looking for Naraku. According to Bankotsu, they saw him last."

"Oh." The color seemed to come back to her face. "Well good luck."

Kikyo eyed her suspiciously before heading for Hiten's room.

`What was wrong with her?'

She knocked and waited patiently for him to answer.

"What's wrong Mira? Three times not enough for you?" The guard yell through the door before opening the door. He was more than surprised to find it was not the temptress that he thought it was.

The servant held up a hand. "I don't want to know about your sex spree. I just want to know were Naraku went."

"He went to visit Lord Koga." She nodded but before she could leave, "You know Kikyo" He licked his lips while looking her up and down. "If Naraku is not satisfying you I can take care or you, too."

She exhaled slowly before putting on the face that got her the nickname Ice Queen.

"Hiten if you value your life as well as your ability to reproduce I would suggest that you reframe for making comments such as those. As for Mira, I'd be cautious if I were you. She was a nervous wreck and is bound to break down and tell Monten."

She turned and smirked as she heard low curses flowing from his mouth.

~*~*~*~*~

Sango was an excellent strategist. It would be wise to let her have a hand in the security. He'd had to remember that when they got married, if he ever got the guts to ask her again.

Thinking back, it was the perfect moment to ask. She was right in the palm of his hands, literally! He was showing her how he could comfort and take care of her. Unlike other girls, Sango seemed to be concerned with the emotional ties of her suitor rather than their status.

Marrying him was the closest any woman could get to a human marriage and be secure. The only other way was to marry InuYasha and well…that really wasn't a human marriage now was it?

Sesshomaru had the wealthiest and most powerful kingdom on the entire content and his kingdom was associated with it. They were basically a part of it. Fantasia would probably have been a distant memory if the demon kingdom didn't need it as show piece for the other human kingdoms.

So many, too many, kings had been impressed with that. They didn't really want to send their daughters off to marry a demon or hanyou, Miroku was a much better choice. He was human but they would still get all the perks the of a demon union.

With all that plus his charm he was pretty much an ideal package. He'd liked to say it was all him but the all men in his family seemed to been born under star that gifted them with the suave to get any woman they chose. And he was a firm believer of this, but for some reason Sango seemed immune.

Despite everything that happen with her he wouldn't be able to charm her to the degree in which he desired. Sure he had gotten a few in but he had yet to figure out exactly how he had done it then. If this were any other girl she would have been at his mercy right now.

Maybe that's what he liked about her. She was a challenge. It never occurred to him how refreshing it was not to get his way all the time.

"Miroku. Miroku?"

"Nani?"

"Are you going to make your move?"

This was their fifth game but Miroku didn't care about winning anymore. However he had asked to play this final match. Maybe he could play just enough so she wouldn't know it was a false victory.

He laughed at the thought. He didn't care about winning? He always cared. Whenever he won he found a sly way to throw it in his opponents face. Is this what Sesshomaru had meant about Sango "shaping him up"?

He had certainly changed since she arrived. He would have to figure out how to her want to marry him.

"Sango, I was wondering…"

~*~*~*~*~

"I will keep a look out for anything suspicious. And tell the King if the intruder is found I will personally make sure he regrets ever sneaking in."

"As always, I and sure his majesty will be pleased with your services."

Both men, now finished with business, took on a less formal stance. The sun was shining directly on them but neither seemed to care. The general sat on a smooth boulder peeking up from the earth. The lord remained standing though he knew he shouldn't.

"Would you like something to eat before you journey back?"

"No that's alright. I need to get back."

"Have a safe trip then."

"Than-"

"Koga!"

They turned at the angry echoing voice coming from the other end of the cave.

"Where are you? You better not be in the sun, again!"

The wolf demon silently cursed. He was not about to get talked down to in front of a commanding officer. Sure he felt a little dizzy yesterday but he hadn't really collapsed. He had made it back to his bed all on his own. He just hadn't eaten or drank for three days. The only thing he wanted was to have Kagome at his side and InuYasha's head in his hand. That image was the only thing that occupied his mind.

"Excuse me." He walked off, his tail flickering in annoyance.

He cut off Ayame before she could get to where Naraku was sitting.

"I am in a meeting.", he stated sternly.

She knew that meant she had to act "proper".

`Maybe if I ask him nicely.'

"But my Lord you are still not well. If you are going to be outside could you at least stand in the shade?"

"I'll consider it."

"Thank you, Koga-sama.", she answer more politely than she felt.

Koga could really be a pain in the ass when he was recovering. One moment he would be helpless as a baby and the next he was a stubborn ox, but she be there for him despite all of it. She just wished he would take it easy.

She hated it when he put undue stress on himself. Sure he was now physically healed but he was fatigued and this was not going to make it any better. The amazon sighed and got ready to make her trip to the castle. He wanted her to check on Kagome, again. At least if she rode with general Naraku it would take longer to get there.

~*~*~*~*~

Sango rubbed her face. Had she actually said that? Had those words passed her lips? She had said yes. There was no thinking. The words just flew out of her mouth. Before her brain could register what had happened Miroku had hugged and kissed.

Not that she was complaining about the kissing part. She replayed it in her mind and inhaled deeply as her cheeks became hot. He had left shortly after saying he had to talk to King Sesshomaru.

She couldn't take it back. That would be dishonorable. This time it was actually her mouth and not her father's that had agreed. The princess exhaled. She was just going to have to pray that her unconscious mind knew what is was doing, when it made her blurt it out.

Her people would be happy and safe and she would have an interesting time getting to know Miroku better. This was going to be a long engagement if she had anything to say about it. She was going to postpone this marriage until she was certain this is want she wanted.

~*~*~*~*~

Kikyo walked to InuYasha's tree. She was sure he wouldn't mind if she borrowed it for a while. He was busy with that girl anyway. Not that it really bothered her anymore. She was still highly pissed at the speed in which he trusted her into his little world.

She even got to see him as a human. His biggest secret! It had been years before she had seen him and that was an accident.

She was so sleepy. This had been happening a lot. She wasn't exactly sure why but she had a good guess. Naraku was insistent on keeping her up late. Since they were both busy during the day, night time was the only real free time they had. And with the occasional late night work that he sometimes had to attend to it was all they had.

Unknown to the rest of the castle he had already asked for her hand in marriage. They decided to keep it a secret until everything quieted down a bit. And her husband to be keep saying he had a little surprise for her and it had to wait until after he finished preparing for their future.

The woman wrapped her arms around herself and closed her eyes as the light slumber over took her.

~*~*~*~*~

"So you asked?" He nodded "And she said yes?" He nodded again. "Are you sure?" More nodding.

This was the miracle InuYasha was hoping for. She might leave when everything was settled but he would see her again.

"InuYasha? What are you grinning about? You look happier than me. Why? I thought you hated her."

"I do. I would take the time to list them but I don't feel like kicking your ass when you get mad and try to defend her."

The human prince looked at his friend closely. InuYasha had skipped one of his questions.

"Oh I get it. You must have made up with Kagome."

"What are you talking about?"

"InuYasha, it's me. Miroku. The one that you spilled your guts to just days ago about what you needed to do about Kagome and Kikyo. Why are you so happy?"

The prince was now uncharacteristically shy as he looked at the ground as he mumbled.

"Because now I know I'll see her again."

"Do you really like her that much?"

His temper flared. How dare he make him embarrassed by admitting his feelings and then dare to question them.

InuYasha shouted and shook a threatening fist. "Of course I do! Why the hell would I say it if I didn't mean it baka hentai!"

"Mai. Mai. I just wanted to know if you cared for her that much and you never wanted to be apart, then why don't you marry her?"

His companion opened his mouth only to shut it again. How was he supposed to answer that question?

~*~*~*~*~

The shadows were at their longest as the darkness began to once again cloak the two figures.

"What do you think?"

"I think that is a lot of people to take over at one time. Are you sure I'm ready for that?"

He placed a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm positive. I will king and you will be the perfect bodyguard."

"So what about the soldiers in the Mayan Kingdom?"

"They are going to stay there. You have control over them. Just keep them in check until I complete the take over. I will have all three in my power soon enough."

"Don't you think we should take them over one at a time?"

"No. Then they will have time to mount a defense. They want to combine so badly so we will let them. They just won't have the ruler they counted on. I'll get them back for what they did to my ancestors. Now leave before Ayame hears you. She can only sleep for so long."

"Yes, Master."

~*~*~*~*~

Rin looked at what would be her surroundings for Kami knows how long. She wasn't even allowed to leave the wing to look for Sesshomaru or to eat. Why hadn't she tried harder to convince him that she and the baby would be fine?

Her brain reminded her. `Because it was a losing battle and he would have been angered that you were disobeying him.'

"Oh yeah…"

She walked over to the bassinet to ensure that little inu was adjusting to the new room okay. After she was sure that her baby was safe the royal demoness stretched out on the bed trying her hardest not to think about how stiff it was compared to her normal one.

Instead she was imagining her Sesshy lying beside her. The secure feeling of his arms around her with the comfort of knowing he was there to protect their son and herself.

The queen was unsure how long she laid their or when exactly she had fallen asleep but she was certain that she was no longer in the room by herself. She tried to discreetly pull out her concealed dagger.

Just as her fingertips grazed the handled she felt the bed sink. Whoever it was, was now to closer for her to fend off. She shut her eyes. Maybe if they thought she was still asleep they would drop their guard long enough for her to injury them so she could grab her precious bundle and dash for the door.

They inched closer and closer until they were flush against her back. Next an arm snaked around her waist. The touched seemed familiar…

Hot breath bathe her ear. "I know you are not asleep, so stop pretending."

Her mind flooded with relief.

"I almost stabbed you."

He chuckled. "Nice to know you were prepared."

She relaxed fully and sighed contently. "I thought you had more work to do."

Sesshomaru nuzzled her neck and she purred with appreciation at his touch.

"I was working. Then something…a feeling nagged at me. It was telling me to check on you both."

`Did I actually call him here with my thoughts? That's crazy. Must have been a coincidence.'

"Rin, what did you eat for dinner?"

Despite the pleasurable stroking she tensed up.

"Ummm…."

"You ate those sweet rolls again didn't you? I smell them. I thought I told you no more sweets."

She pouted deeply as if the statement was a slap to the face.

She whined, "But Sesshy…"

~*~*~*~*~

Ayame looked at the pair that was now exiting the room together. It was sickening; The glances, the smiling. It was a wonder she hadn't thrown up her breakfast.

She was the first to admit she hated Kagome but she was still freakishly nice. What in Kami's name was Mayan's kindest girl doing with Youkai's rudest guy? They seemingly had nothing in common.

The moment that Poseidon siren left from here they would probably never speak again. But who was she to judge? As long InuYasha was preoccupying her that left Koga open.

" As I told Miroku, we will need to renegotiate some of the finer points of our merging. I would wait for your father but I believe you will do exceedingly well on your own."

Sango smiled and continued eating.

"Oh that's right Ayame you don't know yet. Well you can be to the first to spread the news. Sango and I are to be wed."

` Was there something in the water? First, it's the prince and that girl. Now these two? The people that dodge marriage are marrying each other? This will be interesting.' The feisty flame nodded. "That's lovely." Sango began vigorously chewing her food to answer the question she knew was coming. "So when is the happy day?"

Miroku pondered a moment. "A month I suppose."

The sounds of choking echoed through the dining hall.

"Sango are you okay?"

~*~*~*~*~

"So she was okay?"

"Yes."

"They are looking after her? She is safe?"

"Yes."

"Did she say anything about me? Is she happy?"

"She wanted to know if you were feeling better and uh..yes. She is happy. Very happy."

It wasn't a lie. But it wasn't exactly the truth either. What was she suppose to say? They girl you want is happy with someone else? She loved him to much to hurt him like that.

"My Kagome, caring and worrying. She will make a wonderful mother."

Stifling an annoyed growl she quickly changed the subject to something else. She had just spent the morning with the saccrine sweet wench, she wasn't going listen about her for the rest the day.

"You'll never guess who prince Miroku has chosen to be his mate."

That got his attention.

"He is actually going through with it? She must be a goddess."

"Well I've always thought highly of princess Sango but putting her in the category of a goddess is a bit much."

The wolf lord's face went blank. "Princess Sango. He is marrying princess Sango. Are you sure?"

The laughter drained from her as she studied her secret love.

She answered slowly. "Yes. What's wrong?"

Koga's heart jumped. It was true. It had happened. Finally, he could be with his woman!

(Flashback)

"Koga, I want you to be happy. I have to take care of Sango. That's my duty. She is never going to marry anyone, so I have to look after her…"

(End flashback)

Kagome had giving the terms and now they had been met. He could hardly contain himself. He picked up Ayame and swung her around.

"Wonderful! You're such a thoughtful girl, bringing me this good news! You did set up a time for me to come to the castle didn't you?"

The woman nodded as she waited for the trees to stop spinning.

"There is so much to do!"

Rubbing her eyes, `Did I miss something?'

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: I was going to make this chapter longer but I decided to make a couple of short chapters seeing as the last ones were extremely long. I hope you all paid attention close to the previous chapters. Most of the ones I'm writing now are referring back to them. (Told you I love context clue writing.)

And if you have written me to ask why I have been updating so slowly, I am sorry if I came off as snappish. I try not to, but the bitch in me sometimes creeps out. I have had a lot of papers, projects, and exams to do. In addition, I do have a life. I love InuYasha like a mistress. I try to be with him whenever I can but when it comes family and school I have to put it on the back burner.

Answers to the reviews (Important!)-

Some of you have had some concerns about Sesshomaru's character. I assure you that I have covered all the bases. I already said that the only people that he shows emotion to is Rin, his son, and InuYasha. InuYahsa usually provokes the anger.

Rin and his son get the whole range of emotions. Rin while fully submitted to him will still try to get away with things like any other normal person. The only time she ever truly gets her way is when it's something big. (This is important later, too.) Otherwise she will do as he tells her.

Though this is an AU, I have tried to keep him in character. Showing his need for: control, aristocratic vocabulary, dislike for humans, sibling rivalry, and such. If you still believe that he is not up to par (excluding the soft side of him with Rin and his son) please feel free to criticize. I will try harder if you are still not happy but remember we are nearing the end of the story so it is to late to make any drastic changes.