InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Be ❯ Long Live the...Queen? ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Happy birthday to me. I'd like to acknowledge my fellow Scorpios. (Gives you an idea of my birth date for all you that do dabble, huh?) To the only sign in astrology that seeks to uses independence to mask the weakness of wanting to be dependent…whoops. Guess the secret is out now.
 
Anyway, I'd like to start by saying I'm not to happy with this chapter or the last one. Having to use people's names constantly so you absolutely know who is talking. And having so much trouble just writing it period. Well the hard stuff is just about done. (I hope.) We are almost through with the story and you will not have to sit around wondering why I have not updated.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
 
Chapter 23
 
“I asked you a question Kanna. What is Kikyo doing here?”
 
He pointed to the woman in question that mindlessly blinked as she stood in front of the guards that blocked the entry doors.
 
“Did you not just ask for your executioner?”, she remarked rhetorically. “I brought her as requested.”
 
The situation hit him like a punch to the gut. She had made his only love a soulless puppet. He had most certainly NOT asked her to do that. What was wrong with her? He had accredited her to be his flawless right hand and bodyguard. He had programmed her perfectly, he was sure of it. How was she screwing up all his careful preparation?
 
“This isn't right. You weren't supposed to take over her. You were supposed to posses Rin!”
 
“You said take the one of most value.”
 
“I was implying Rin!”
 
“She was too submissive to Sesshomaru. He would have been able to break the spell. Isn't that why you sent the most faithful of his soldiers to Fantasia? Because there was a slight chance they might have not completely succumbed to the mirror's spell.” Kanna stated logically.
 
“Kanna, you could have picked any other girl, anyone else and you choose her! Why Kikyo?”
 
Sesshomaru was livid. How dare they talk about his wife in such a fashion! He began looking for possible escapes since it was apparent that this unforeseen glitch would most likely be their only window of opportunity.
 
“This girl holds more potential. She is well trained in archery and has perfected close range combat with the bow. The power of the mirror will only enhance her already impressive skills. While she is not entirely submissive I am confident that she will not break my hold on her. Kagome has no combat training to speak of so she was never an option. I was unable to catch Sango unaccompanied long enough to engage, let alone complete, the transfer by your appointed deadline.”
 
“I can't allow you do this. Release her now.”
 
“I can't comply with that.”
 
“What?!”
 
“All this time you have been preaching to me about how the King rules in the liking of humans and how humans can never rule themselves because they let petty emotions interfere with their decisions. But you too are cursed as such. Look at what you are doing now. That human blood is clouding your judgment, stopping you from doing what is necessary to guarantee victory.”
 
Despite the seriousness of the situation everyone was shocked by her statement. Human blood? They all assumed he was a demon.
 
“Shut up!”
 
“You have tried to masking it, denying it; even went so far as to create an image of yourself as the perfect demon when all you are is a pathetic mistake.”
 
“I said be quiet!”
 
“A flaw of nature,” She walked back to stand beside Kikyo. “You are nothing but a worthless hanyou.”
 
The emotionless girl then signaled Kikyo. The soulless archer rapidly notched her arrow causing it to pierce Naraku's right lung.
 
He looked up at his once warm and caring lover.
 
“K…K..Kikyo…”
 
“She can't hear you. She has become like myself, a perfect bodyguard for a perfect queen.”
 
His breath began to wheeze as he struggle to talk. “But, you can't do this. I'm supposed to be king, this is my legacy; my birthright!”
 
“You are tainted but your idea was good. And in order to achieve the ideal kingdom you envisioned, one that is not spoiled with such imperfections needs to rule. I have reached a higher understanding that you and those who let your feelings cloud their decisions will never achieve the utopia that will rise from this flawed world.”
 
InuYasha had had enough of this speech. Not only had she insulted his family, friends, and Kagome she had attacked him indirectly. Resurfacing all the prejudices that he tried so hard to leave behind him after coming back home from his year of being thrust in “the real world”.
 
Apparently Sesshomaru had also grown tired of this speech. Their eyes meet in a silent agreement that there was enough chaos to attempt an escape. The older inu rushed Kikyo and most of the guards while InuYasha had everyone follow him. He secretly hoped his hunch was right. That girl had said she could only enhance the potential that a person had. If that was the case most of the guards didn't know about the hidden tunnels and Kikyo was still Kikyo so she would still get lost.
 
The room echoed in the uproar of the fighting. Sesshomaru was trying his best not to kill his men. Once reclaiming his throne he didn't want to have to go through the trouble of training new recruits. The retreating group met only mild interference as they dashed for the passage InuYasha and Kagome had exited earlier. Sesshomaru made certain that everyone had runaway before throwing the “perfect bodyguard” to the ground and as a second thought he yanked up the bleeding Naraku before following InuYasha.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
“You don't understand. Kanna's power isn't from the mirror. It is merely an aid.”
 
InuYasha scoffed. “Some aid. It let's her suck people's souls I'd say that's more than just a tool.”
 
He turned to go check on Miroku leaving the former king and ex-general to finish their conversation.
 
“Where did you get her? What kind of power does she have?”
 
“I found her when we came across a town for supplies. Apparently some bandits had come across them before and she watched her mother be raped in killed. Her father was away at the time. Once he came back he took it out on the poor thing. Blamed her for not helping her mom and told her she was going to take on ALL duties of a wife as punishment. ” Sesshomaru sneered at underlining duty Naraku was indicating. Who would want to have sex with their own child? “Guess I wouldn't talk much after that either.”
 
“How charitable of you, rescuing her from cage only to put her in another.” The curses on Sesshomaru's tongue were close to slipping, but that would be counterproductive so he remained silent.
 
“I won't ask you to understand. Your family stole my birthright.” As if having some wonderful dream his eyes glossed over, “It would have been perfect. She had so much potential. Kanna had so much untapped power. The mirror helped her acquire the focus she was lacking by getting rid of all those emotions clouding her development. She could logically solve any situation. She wasn't supposed to feel greed, arrogance, or any of those petty feelings. That's what made her perfect.”
 
“You imbecile. That's what made her imperfect. Cutting off all emotions meant you also negated any feelings of loyalty she might have had. I venture you did not think that far ahead. Did you?”
 
The renegade general clutched his chest wound tighter and turned his head.
 
“Look, I know that you don't care about me or anything I say but she has Kikyo. Save her. I won't forgive myself if she… ” He stopped to cough up more blood. “Even if I die Kikyo doesn't deserve to be used like that.”
 
Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes.
 
“We will save Kikyo but not because of you.” He finished the next part in a colder tone. “And you needn't worry; you won't die until this Sesshomaru says so.” He turned to Sango's servant that had the misfortune of stumbling in the secret passage and had been wondering lost for weeks. “I don't care what you do or how you do it but keep him alive.”
 
“Why bother to save me if you are going to kill me anyway?”
 
“This is not a question of when you die, it is HOW you will die. I intend to put you through as many tortures as it takes to kill you and then I will bring you back as many times as Tensagia let's me before I allow your suffering to truly end.”
 
The inu youkai stood only to end up looking in his brother's disapproving face.
 
“Is there a problem, little brother?” The demon spat. His patience was thinning and he was not in the mood to deal with InuYasha.
 
With arms crossed over his chest the hanyou answered, “If you had remembered to bring Tensegia in the first place this wouldn't be a problem.”
 
“I didn't have time.”
 
“Uh huh. Interesting that you some how found time to grab Tokijin and not our father's heirloom before you wandered back in here to interrogate the asshole.”
 
“Excuse me for wanting to fight first and heal later. You are one to talk. I don't see Tetsusaiga swinging on your hip.”
 
A slight blush crept across InuYasha's face at the reason he had forgotten his sword.
 
“Someone was trying to break in my room I didn't have a lot of options!”
 
“Mind enlightening me as to what you did have time to do? As if I didn't know, your stench is horrid and you still haven't gotten anywhere. Instead of worrying about trying to defile your bitch you should have been figuring out how to protect her!”
 
“A lot of good it would do me! You know I can't use it when I'm human!”
 
“Who said anything about you using it?”
 
“Oh yeah let me give it to you so we can have it sizzle your hand! The last time you did that the handle smelt like chard flesh for a whole month.”
 
“Better to have that than a useless sword or a useless brother. You would blow up half the castle even if you could use it!”
 
“Useless! I'm the one that knew we could lose Kikyo in the passage.” He pointed to where Kagome and Sango should have been hovering over Miroku. “If I hadn't-” Blinking he scanned the room. “Where are they?”
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
It had taken all the bravado she had left not to break down bawling.
 
`That idiot! Why would he do something so stupid? I could have avoided it.'
 
While they were in the mist of running away one of the guards had tried to attack her. She was about to counter when Miroku pushed her out of the way taking the blow instead. Now the prince was lying on the floor bleeding. The wound was so close to his heart, only Kami knew the relief she felt when they found out it was just below his shoulder instead.
 
Presently, she was rocking him in her lap. Never had she wished that he would give her a sly grin and make inappropriate comments about how his face felt in her chest. She could almost hear his, “Why Sango, if you wanted me to test the softness of your body all you had to do was ask. And I must say I definitely prefer these kinds of pillows.” At this moment she would even settle for a grope but he just remained unconscious and struggling to breathe.
 
“Don't you die on me you stupid pervert.” The tears stung her eyes. “Please don't die. I don't care if the wedding it tomorrow or next year. I want to be with you. I love you. Please don't leave me.”
 
Kagome and InuYasha stood a few feet away. She wanted desperately to help her friend but Sango needed a moment to herself with Miroku
 
InuYasha turned his head away, unable to see his best friend like that. `Dumb human body.' It was the reason he wasn't able to defend the people he cared about and it was the reason Miroku might die if they didn't get him proper care soon.
 
“This is stupid. If my dumb ass brother had just brought his sword…” He stalked over to the man in question.
 
Meanwhile, Kagome walked over to Sango feeling a bit useless.
 
“He'll be alright.”
 
The sounds of an inu brother argument began teasing the air.
 
A few tears slipped past her lids as a scowl replaced the sorrow. “I'm going to make her pay. I'll kill her myself, screw them.” With that said the princess picked up an abandoned staff and walked off.
 
The lady in waiting ran after her. `Obviously Sango's grief had gone to her head.'
 
“Sango stop!”
 
“Look I'm not waiting around until sunrise. Miroku needs help now. If we wait he could die.”
 
“You can't just run off without a plan. Let them take care of it. It won't help if you go running off getting hurt too.”
 
“Them?” She pointed to the echoes of the fighting brothers. “A lot of good they are doing. Can't you hear the sounds of the plan they are making right now?” She replied rhetorically.
 
Once again Kagome stopped her.
 
“Naraku already said that she is so powerful because that mirror cuts off her emotions. She is able to think with a clear head. Kanna can make the most logical decisions without having to worry feeling bad about anyone she hurts that gets in her way.”
 
“Oh don't worry I'll make her feel something. Pain isn't an emotion.”
 
“Didn't you hear what he said? She is really the victim here. She isn't really a monster. If only we could just make her…-”
 
“What is it?” Sango asked when Kagome paused.
 
“If Naraku said that the only reason she could use her powers was because the mirror helps her focus…”
 
Sango caught on. “Then if we can get it away from her then we can stopped her and maybe find a way to return everyone to normal.”
 
“If we could over load her. Make her remember something so awful that it can't be suppressed it should work.”
 
The yelling filtered to their ears.
 
“…you should have been figuring out how to protect her!”
 
“A lot of good it would do me! You know I can't use it when I'm human!”
The girls looked at each other.
 
“If we are going to save Miroku we can't waste time trying to stop their fighting. We'll do it ourselves. Come on.” The princess finished curtly.
 
“Right.”
 
They walked towards what would be a great victory or a monumental failure.
 
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
 
A/N: In my opinion this chapter wasn't short but I would have liked for it to be a bit longer however it just felt right to end it here. Now I will spare you all the rant I feel bubbling inside of me about how people no longer care about what they post as a story. These under developed outlines that they toss up and mindless sheep flocking to tell them, “wow! great story.” Or “update! update! update!”
 
These things almost made me want to give up on reviewing all together since I have only handed out 2 good reviews out of 10. But then I steeled myself to read these “stories” that make my stomach churn. If I don't tell them who will!
 
*looks at what she wrote* Believe it or not but that really was short of a rant for me…*sighs* I'll just go play with possible scenes for the next chapter. All my mangas are not out yet and I just started a new one months ago, Absolute Boyfriend, only to find the next issue doesn't come out until February. Which is actually good considering I thought it was March. And I finished the new book I just got yesterday last night. *pouts* I'm running out of stuff to read people!!