InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Be ❯ The Prophecy and the Evil Villian? ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Thank InusDemoness for her beta skills. Explanations at the end.
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
Sesshomaru rubbed the bridge of his nose. Who could the traitorous fiend be? He had racked his brain long and hard after having to practically demand Rin to leave with Jaken. He loved her dearly but her stubborn streak was going to be the death of him one day. Did she honestly think he wasn't sending them away for their own good?
 
(Flashback)
 
Everything was set, most of the castle's inhabitants had gone to their rooms for the day, or were so engrossed in their chores they didn't have time to worry about if some dragon was flying over head.
 
Jaken had successfully packed for the Queen and young prince and loaded their things without elevating any intrusive looks. How he was able to pack all the useless superfluous junk that Rin had most likely demanded to bring along into only two trunks the demon king would never know.
 
He was only concerned with getting her and his son on the back of Ah-Un and out of reach from the threat that he had yet to locate. According to the old oracle whoever it was; they were dangerous.
 
“Sesshomaru, why can't you come too? Your life is in just as much danger.”
 
“Rin, I can't just abandon my kingdom. I'm trying to stop whoever it is; not hand over my family's legacy. If I leave that's what will happen. As long as you and our son are unscathed; my fate matters not. It will greatly ease my mind that I have an heir to take my place and Jaken will let no harm come to either of you.”
 
He looked passed her to his faithful servant who had just finished situating the soothsayer on the two headed dragon. When their eyes met he was sure to give the toad a look that lead him to believe if anything did happen to his charges, accidental or otherwise; it would be much safer to take his own life than to face the consequences of his King.
 
His next actions where spurred by the fact that the alleged the two present parties would be to petrified of him or to courteous to the Queen to reveal this “moment of weakness” to anyone not present. He tuned out Rin's pleas as he held his son close to him, for what he hoped would not be the last time.
 
After handing the child to Jaken he did the same to Rin. Holding her against him he could feel the small tremors vibrating through her body. She was so delicate; how could she be strong enough to put up with all the demands and expectations he put on her? He wasn't the easiest demon to put up with, only Kami knew how she put up with being his mate.
 
It was taking everything inside her not to cry. He appreciated her efforts but he was certain that once she held their son again the child would feel her distress and begin bawling. This would cause a domino effect in her. He just hoped that she didn't sob too loudly. The child was loud enough on his own, added cries might alert someone to their departure.
 
Although he would have liked to deepen the kiss he was about to give her his mind told him to keep it light. She was clinging to him so tightly now, kissing her like that would only give her more encouragement to fortify her already constricting embrace.
 
He spent the next ten minutes prying her from him. He was trying his best not to reprimand her. If this was their last moments together he preferred to not taint them with any ill sentiments.
 
“Rin get on right now.”
 
She looked up at him with the saddest expression he ever seen.
 
“But I can't leave you.”
 
“It's just for a little while. You'll be with the seer; if anything happens, bad or good, she'll be right there to tell you.”
 
Rin was trying her best not to act like a sniveling child but a fear deep down inside was making it impossible for her to do otherwise. Her Sesshy had always gone to great lengths to protect her from harm; be it real, imagined, or potential. However, this was the first time that he was sending her away from the castle; a castle that was bragged by many to be the safest place in the entire continent.
 
In her mind that meant only one thing; he was scared. Scared he wouldn't be powerful enough to protect her from this thing that had eluded all his careful planning. His being scared frightened her more than anything else; Sesshomaru never got scared.
 
Never.
 
(End Flashback)
 
Something could have happened to her. All this time he thought housing her in the castle was safe when it was the worst thing he could have do. And all those times he left her and his son all alone in the abandoned part of the castle where no one could hear her cries for help if the villain struck.
 
He felt like an utter fool.
 
Placing his wife and child had been easy but placing his brother, the Prince of Fantasia, and the Princess of Mayan would be a bit harder. He couldn't just send Miroku back home. If someone had infiltrated his home surly there were spies in Fantasia as well.
 
`No that wouldn't do.'
 
If anything happened to the boy's father it would be a tragic loss but as heir to the throne it was more important that Miroku be protected; the same went for Sango. Though their being engaged had given Miroku some governing rights over Mayan however the complete control he would have as her husband would not be granted until the actual wedding. InuYasha would be unable to go anywhere until tomorrow, but then again Sesshomaru wasn't certain if he wanted to send him away.
 
It was true that he considered his brother annoying beyond all reason but he was handy to have in a fight. Even if he would never compliment him aloud, the King wouldn't pick anyone but his brother to watch his back.
 
Perhaps he should just send the others away and inform InuYasha of their dilemma. He sighed.
 
`That girl.'
 
InuYasha was going to momentarily lose his focus when he found out someone might consider her as a way to get to him.
 
Crashing sounds brought him out deep thought
 
“I believe that's my chair you're seating in.”
 
~*~*~*~*~XXXXXXXXX
 
Even though he was losing his demon blood he knew that he was breathing was to hard, much too hard. What was he supposed to be asking her again? Something about a chest? Or was it a trunk? That didn't make any sense. Why would he ask her about how she packed her clothes? Kagome began kissing a trail up his chest.
 
He severed all thoughts. Thinking, who needs it? Surely whatever it was must not be important.
 
When InuYasha got in his room he pushed the huge closet in front of the locked doors. Okay he hadn't done that since about a year after Kikyo had found out his secret. But it was only because she kept getting lost in the secret passageways.
 
Surly his brother had taught the girl at least a few pathways. She had served Rin and his nephew under to many occasions for Sess not to feel the need to precaution her on some escape route or hiding places. He demanded that Kagome explain to him what happened when she met Miroku. And why she didn't tell him that he had groped her. After a few “uh's” and “um's” she had done the most bizarre thing. She had kissed him; really kissed him. Anytime they had a rather deep kiss it was him that had started it. She had backed him into one on the chairs and that's when things seemed to have gotten fuzzy.
 
He was a little mad that he had turned human in the middle of their kiss because he could no longer smell her as intensely as before. Nor could he hear the beat of her heart; but one thing was for certain it had gotten rather hot in his room all of a sudden.
 
His skin became like embers and Kagome's kisses were all they needed to start a flame. Her lips played with his neck briefly until they found a particularly sensitive spot just below his collar bone. A few more minutes of lavish attention to that area and she moved to his hand. Just lightly brushing it against her lips at first but when brushing turned into licking; and licking turned in to sucking. InuYasha couldn't help the way his thoughts turned.
 
Was her other hand going down his…
 
KNOCK!
 
KNOCK!
 
No! This was not happening. It wasn't; It couldn't be. InuYasha let out a pitiful whimper. Who had he cosmically pissed off to deserve such luck? Which of the Kami could be so cruel? Now that he was thinking clearly no one should be bothering him tonight. Everyone was to leave him alone on these nights. Whoever it was would remember that and leave him in peace.
 
BAM!
 
The insistent knocking noise had turned to sound of someone trying to break down his door.
 
BAM!
 
Someone was trying to break his door down.
 
~*~*~*~*~XXXXXXX
 
She had finally calmed herself down enough to keep the baby from crying. Or rather she wasn't so upset any more and the baby was no longer freaked out by her distress. He was smart enough to understand something was going on so his cries were not the volcanic, roaring, scream fest that he sometimes held; so no one had noticed when they slipped across the skies.
 
After hours of riding they had stopped so she could tend to the baby. Even though the old woman had not complained, Rin guessed that she was happy to stretch her legs a bit. If she knew her Sesshy, and she did, he had not allowed Jaken to take any breaks when he first brought the mystic.
 
They were sitting in a forest clearing, it had not gotten too dark yet but once the sun completely set they would have no light so Jaken had made a small fire. The seer was sitting a little ways down from the Queen on a rock, while Rin was propped against Ah-Un's side. Her back was supported by the dragon's belly as she sat upon a fluffy pillow, the dragon had also curled its tail in so that she could use the end to place her feet on like a stool.
 
“Would you like something to drink…um…” Rin began.
 
What kind of terrible person was she? She hadn't once asked the lady her real name. She just heard Jaken or her husband call her “the seer” or “old woman”. What was her real name? The woman smiled at her kindly before relieving the inu-demoness of her dilemma.
 
“Kaede.”
 
Smiling back; “Kaede.” It was a nice name. “Would you like something to drink?”
 
“I would love some your Highness, but if you are still breastfeeding I think you will need it more that I.”
 
Waving off her concern Rin shifted on her floor pillow.
 
“Nonsense I have plenty. Jaken would you please give Kaede something to drink.” Quickly the greenish demon got the drink and wondered off to do a quick patrol of the perimeter. The soothsayer slowly made her way over to the demoness.
 
“May I?”; she whispered as her hand hovered above the infant.
 
“Yes.”
 
Lightly the old woman placed her hand across his forehead. Then she smiled. Taking this as a good sign she inquired, “What did you see?”
 
“He is strong.”
 
“Of course.” She beamed down at her son. “He is like his father.”
 
“No.”
 
“No?”
 
“No, not like his father. Similar perhaps but your son harbors the one weakness that the King hates but tolerates. Once he becomes aware of this weakness he will no longer tolerate it. I can not say if he will accept it or not but your son will be a great leader and his rule will bring about much change, though the change will be on a more personal level than a political one. This child will change the future of the entire royal line.”
 
Rin was blown away; not only had she just found out that her son would single handedly change the future of his family, but he had a weakness. How could someone with such great prophesized power hold one weakness his father would hate? What was the weakness?
 
Knowing Sesshomaru it could be anything but she said it was something he tolerated. She thought for a moment. No, it could still be anything. Sesshomaru also tolerated a lot of things. Maybe his attitude mirrored that of his uncle's instead of his father. That was something Sesshomaru hated but tolerated. But in what Kami's name could he do that would change the future of the entire royal line? Nothing she could come up with; maybe she should leave those two parts out when she relayed the message to her mate. Then again perhaps telling him would prepare Sesshomaru for this weakness. Maybe help him over come it? Kaede said that he might go either way. For her son's sake she prayed it landed in his favor.
 
~*~*~*~*~XXXXXXXX
 
The passage lead to the throne room. If Sesshomaru wasn't there then he would have to make a mad dash for his private study. Unfortunately, that was the one room that didn't have a secret passage to it; or so he was told. InuYasha was sure that his brother just didn't want anyone besides himself to know about it. As it were he just prayed that his pompous brother had his ass in the throne room so he could tell him off for the suicidal idiots trying to break into his bed chambers.
 
What dumbass would try to break into his room?
 
It was a very well known fact that everyone was to leave him alone on the nights of the new moon. They did not know the real reason behind his self quarantine, but since his orders were fully backed by the King no one questioned them. Not that Sesshomaru cared about his well being he was more worried about someone finding out that someone in his charge was weak and venerable. Kami forbid he disgrace the family name by having his demon powers drained by a force he couldn't control. The prince rolled his eyes at that thought while he pulled Kagome with him around the last corner. They were moving slower than he would have liked but it was harder to see with these meager human eyes. The tunnel opened just behind one of the many tapestries depicting the origins of their kingdom.
 
The throne room was big and empty. It had to be for all the people to fit in it for special events. It was lined with over thirty odd windows that were long ago curtained against the black night. In between the windows were lit lanterns. They were mostly for show though. With a palace full of demons that could see in the dark they were only there to impress their human counter parts and add to the scenery. The coat of arms graced the top of the grand dark wood doors. Off to the left of the throne was a smaller door that was almost unseen because it was shaped with the same pattern theme of the room. The door was mostly used by servants or anyone that choose to enter the room quietly.
 
Unlike most throne chambers the throne itself was not at the back of the room but slightly off center in the back of the middle of the room. It was a pet peeve of the Great Inu King, Inutaisho. He hated having his back against the wall. In an emergency he wanted to know he was free to move at all sides not just three. After his death the throne stayed there not only out of tradition; but because this particular pique was adopted by his son.
 
Thankfully Sesshomaru was there but not on the throne as expected. Instead he was standing just in front of the platform that hoisted the majestic chair; and it appeared he was killing someone with a glare. For some reason, that someone was standing on the platform between him and the King's chair.
 
`Seems a lot of people are going to die tonight.'
 
The king frowned deeply. He had just been about to make Naraku tell him what contemptible idea he had going through his head to think he even had the right to pretend to be king let alone threaten him. When a very human InuYasha and the girl, that could quite possibly be his future sister-in-law, came bargaining in the room.
 
Now he would have to make sure they didn't get hurt. If he had known they would disrupt this impromptu meeting he would have kill the conspirator before they arrived. As a rule he liked to know why he was about to eradicate vermin that were foolish enough to slink their way in his kingdom. It was always nice to have an example to show the other poisonous snakes what their treachery would purchase.
 
“Ah, I see you didn't want to wait for my invitation.” Naraku smirked as he thought to himself, `So this was why he locked himself in? The prince didn't want anyone to know his human nights. Well that's a lucky break for me. I wasn't looking forward to keeping my eye on a hanyou and demon at the same time now it looks like I won't have to.'
 
InuYasha questioned his brother while glancing between the two. “Sess what's going on here?”
 
“You imperceptive useless ningen; what are you doing out of your room?”
 
“Listen you asshole of the blue bloods, I didn't have a choice! Someone was trying to knock down my door!”
 
“InuYasha this isn't helping.” Kagome spoke softly. She had a feeling something was not right and now was not the time for the brothers' barbs.
 
“Part of me will miss your little squabbles.”
 
When everyone's attention turned back to the traitorous general Sesshomaru had decided that it was time to put an end to the situation before it careened out of control.
 
“I will skip your trail and go straight to your execution.” The demon flexed his right hand, “Let you both be the witness to his treachery and swift death.”
 
Just as the his hand began to illuminate with his green poison the entry doors burst open to reveal a small group of castle soldiers, a confused Miroku, and a brave faced Sango that stunk of fear. The curses that echoed through Sesshomaru's mind would make any on looker believe that he had tutored InuYasha in the vile language.
 
The situation had become too risky; there were too many people here now. If he tried to strike down Naraku anyone in the room could become a casualty. His kingdom didn't need any innocent blood staining it, especially human blood. Politics were sticky enough without adding extra, and unnecessary, problems to it.
 
Miroku looked over everyone in the room. Nothing made sense; if Sesshomaru wanted to talk to them why had he ordered they be brought in this manner? Why so late? And why would he make InuYasha come and expose himself?
 
“Order them to release us Sesshomaru.” Miroku demanded only to have his eyes brought back to the true culprit.
 
“They only follow my orders now.”
 
Sango echoed the unanswered question InuYasha had asked before. “What is going on here?”
 
“Well I suppose I could make you more comfortable for story time.” Naraku snapped his fingers and the guards lowered their weapons. “Before I kill these two ingrates I want you to know who it was that brought you down.”
 
“Kill? Why would you want to kill someone?” Kagome tried her best to look around InuYasha since it was evident that he wasn't going to let her step around him.
 
“If you interrupt me again I will up my body count to three. It would be nice to have a living barging chip when I talk to Koga but I can arrange other plans.” Naraku seated himself in the throne; after getting comfortable he began. “Everyone here already knows the story of this kingdom. Two powerful leaders over threw a tyrant. Everyone sings the praises of one of these leaders, Inutaisho. But what of the other leader that helped bring peace to the land? No one even remembers Onigumo's name. Where are his praises? He is just a footnote in this suppose victory. Your father took over his kingdom, what right did he have?”
 
“He became corrupted.” Sesshomaru continued speaking in a tone no one had ever heard before. It almost sounded…sad, “That's why he too was over thrown. I may have been just a child but I can recall the people that came to my father and pleaded, begged, and groveled for his help. The looks on their faces as they spoke of the horrors he was putting them through…death was too good for him.”
 
“That's where you're wrong. He wasn't killed, that's just what he wanted everybody to believe. In truth your father was too weak to kill Onigumo. He exiled him from his own lands.”
 
“Get to the point; cease wasting my air and time.” Naraku and Sesshomaru glowered at each other for a few moments and Sesshomaru added, “My apologies, was it your plan to bore us to death? What does this all mean? Why bother bringing up that loathsome mongrel?”
 
“You will not speak of my grandfather that way! Your father ruined my entire family. Everything that was yours' is supposed to be mine!” He pointed at Sesshomaru. “You have my crown.” Then he moved the accusing finger to point at InuYasha “And you had the heart of the only one I ever desired. I swore that I would one day get back all that things your family stole from me! Now after all the years of waiting, planning, and having to take orders from you, and having to watch Kikyo run after you, I have them all.”
 
Sango could see where his twisted logic was coming from. But he had yet to say why he had dragged the rest of them into this feud; she wanted answers. She cut Naraku off before he could enter another rant. “And tell us Naraku; if you did all this to get back at Sesshomaru and InuYasha then what are the rest of us here for?”
 
The self proclaimed ruler merely laughed at the question.
 
“Young princess, you and your betrothed are very much a part of the grand picture.”
 
“Explain yourself!” Sango shouted. She was about fed up with his dancing around the issue.
 
Naraku ignored her. He had waited wait years for this moment and he wanted to see them all squirm. No one was going to ruin his crowning moment. “Tell me Miroku did you happen to tell anyone about the pains you were having in your chest.”
 
Unconsciously, Miroku grabbed his chest. No one knew about that but InuYasha. He hadn't had a pain attack in so long that he thought whatever it was had gone away. What did Naraku know about it? How did he know about it?
 
“What about them?”
 
“You didn't think they just went away on their own did you? I did that. Lovely little torture I worked up. It's called the Kageromaru parasite. It attaches itself to your insides and slowly takes over your body. Eventually, you will die from it but only after you've served your purpose.”
 
“Purpose? What purpose? This feud has nothing to do with me.”
 
“Well it is a know fact that your kingdom leeches off of us. So I figured, why stop at this kingdom and not take yours? I planted the parasite and planned to threaten you with it after taking over here. However, this is where little Sango came into play. What is the use of taking over an empire if you don't control the goods in it? So I set up the raids to weaken your home lands.”
 
“You are the reason why my people are suffering! You ruthless, bastard!” Miroku took to physically restraining her.
 
“Why thank you. I knew you'd love my work; but apparently not as much as you love each other. I was just planning to make Miroku ruler so he could hand the reign to me. No need in a messy battle if there is another option. And I intended to take Mayan, but an unexpected twisted happened. Not only were you to marry but you actually started to fall for each other. So I decided, out of the kindness of my heart, to let you two get married and kill your fathers' so both of you could rule.”
 
“That's just sick! I suppose you would have used that parasite threat to make Miroku and Sango hand over the combined kingdoms anyway right?”, Kagome finished.
 
He chuckled again. “Well InuYasha it looks like you do have some taste after all. She's not as bright as Kikyo but-”
 
“Not as bright!”
 
“Silence!” Sesshomaru's anger was starting to boil. “This has gone on long enough.”
 
“You're right this has gone on long enough, and I think it's time that Kanna brought out your executioner.”
 
The figure walked through the group of guards and into the room. As the light revealed the identity of the person everyone gasped. However it only added more to their surprise when Naraku himself gasped with them.
 
“Kanna this is no time for games.”
 
“I agree.” The girl said in a low whispery tone.
 
“Then what the hell is Kikyo doing here?!”
 
 
~*~*~*~*~XXXXXXX
 
A/N: Yes I know it has been such a long time. As you all know I have had a bit of a personal crisis. My sweetie's Christmas gift was going into a coma but he felt the need to out do himself and prove me wrong (which he always did) when I said he can't do anything worst. You know I am use to not having a gift or a boyfriend on Valentine's Day. This is just something I have learned to live with but when your boyfriend dies a gift…
 
Well let's just say he will have given me the only gift that will not only be my most memorable but he also managed to fulfill my earlier mentioned conditions but yet still giving me something. I hate it when he does stuff like that. *sigh* But sadly that's why I love him. Curse my taste of liking smart mouthed assholes.
 
Anyway this is the ultimate reason your chapter was extremely delayed and why the Inu/Kag fluff is missing. I had planned on it being a lot hotter however my normal taste for teasing lust is very much MIA. I hope to find it before I write my LAST installment of “The Promise” saga. (please note “last” meaning no request, no whining about just one more event/happenings tied to this story) I will make it a multi-chapter one~shot so it ties up all the loose ends and questions anyone can ask.
 
When will the next chapter be out? I don't know. Have I started writing the next chapter? Yes, but it is not on the computer. I'm also certain I will have to do some major pulling to get the ideas I want on paper. How much time am I putting forth to this story? As much as I can spare. Since I am not in a down spiral of depression and such writing should be a breeze…but it's not. The ideas or there I'm just having a hard time putting them down. I just graduated college, I have no job, and my child think that I must spend every waking moment with her. The one pleasure trip I had planned just as a treat to myself may not happen because I have had to spend most of the money I had saved and the people I planned to go with are dragging their feet.
 
Wow…I'm full of good news, huh? Well just because I'm the punch line in someone's cosmic joke doesn't mean that someone else, somewhere isn't having their best year ever. Hope the chapter was long enough for you. This was where it was originally was supposed to end. If you combine this and the last chapter they were supposed to be together.