InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Memories of Pleasure and Shame ❯ Goodbye Is the Hardest Word ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Characters owned by: Rumiko Takahashi, Viz Entertainment, ECT.
I make no profit from this story
 
 
Chapter 15: Goodbye Is the Hardest Word
 
 
“Ka…Kagome,” Inuyasha calls out timidly, missing Kagome's reaction because he never lifted his head. “Hm,” Kagome answers as she raises her head. With his gaze still directed towards his fidgeting fingers, he says as Kagome watches him, “I was just thinking…” He finally lifts his head, directing his gaze towards her. Her body trembles minutely in response because his gaze is so penetrating. As he continues, he utters tenderly with a slight quiver in his voice, “Ya know…I don't know what's making me wanna say this…I…my intentions are not to play with your heart… I did have feelings for you…Sometimes I feel like I still do… It's just that…I get this feeling that it's just not time.” He is silent for a moment as he looks away meditatively. As Kagome continues to gaze at him curiously, he finally concludes, “I believe that one day, perhaps in another life, we will be together.” All of the wind is suddenly knocked out of Kagome's lungs. As she peers at Inuyasha in total astonishment, something incites him to direct his vision away from Kagome and towards her desk top. After a brief moment of analyzing a picture of Kagome standing side by side with someone, with their arm wrapped around her shoulder, and her arm snuggled around their waist, he suddenly flinches as he gasps under his breath.
 
A streak is the only thing that can be seen as in a flash, he bounds towards the picture. As he bends down, he comically and boyishly places his face extremely close to the picture, staring at it with wide, astonished eyes. He begins to utter ominously, “Kagome…why does this dude look so much like me...practically identical to me?” She is silent for a moment, before saying, “Inuyasha (she titters nervously) he doesn't look THAT much like you.” “I'm not stupid Kagome. It's eerie just how much he looks…” he coincides his last three words, with every movement of his eyes towards another feature on the young man's face, that reminds him of himself, “just…like…me.” After holding her breath for a few seconds, she finally admits the truth to Inuyasha, “Alright-alright. I did notice that he looks a lot like you. There's a Kouga look alike as well. He's his best friend and his band mate.” Inuyasha abruptly swivels his body around, in shock, “A…Kouga look alike? A…band? My reincarnation is in a…band? You mean like those groups of men that I saw on your moving picture box thing that wore tight, shiny, crouch hugging attire and played strange, eardrum shattering instruments?” “First of all, it's called a television and secondly-you don't know for sure if Michi is your reincarnation…” “Michi…that's his name aye…why did my reincarnations' mom give my reincarnation such a weird, ugly ass name?” Kagome sounds off with annoyance, “Stop saying that…he's not your reincarnation!” Inuyasha replies tauntingly, “Yes he is!” “No he isn't!!” “Is SoOooh!” “Is nah…listen-I'm-not-going-to-argue-with-you-okay…geesh-I'm-too-o ld-for-this.”
 
Inuyasha sighs before saying in an apologetic and more serious tone, “Look, I'm sorry okay. But don't ya think this is kinda amazing? Do ya think that it is just a coincidence that a guy that ya know in the present looks a lot like a guy ya knew from another time period…a whole, whole lot…and that he also has a best friend existing in the present, who looks a whole lot like another guy you knew from the same time period, who was also closely affiliated with the other person you knew back in time who looks just like the other guy you know in the present? The wolf and I have always had a competitive relationship…is it that way with these two as well? Plus, why would you think it is impossible for Michi and whatever his friends name is, to not be the wolf and I's reincarnations when YOU were able to travel back in time through a magical well only to encounter non-human, supernatural creatures of all varieties, a hanyou obsessed with a magical crystal that could bestow magical powers upon any that possessed it, a monk with a void in his hand, a girl who could destroy supernatural creatures with an enchanted boomerang, an undead priestess with supernatural priestess powers, and a Daiyokai who could turn into a giant supernatural dog and excrete poison out of his claws and mouth. I can go on and on Kagome…Oh and don't forget about me…doesn't get any more unbelievable than this…” “Okay-Okay Inuyasha…I get it already…when did you become so insightful all of a sudden?” “…Just because I'm not all calm and collected all the time like Miroku, doesn't mean I can't be insightful. I'm not some dumb ass, if that's what you're trying to imply…” “Of course not, Inuyasha (she deliberately mumbles her last words)…you're smart in your own way…” “Aye, I heard that! What's that s'posed tuh mean?!” “Inuyasha, you're smart okay! Are ya happy now!?” Inuyasha replies with playful antagonism, “Actually, I'm not.” Kagome utters mischievously, “Then I take it all back then.” “You can't do that!” “I just did…hmph.”
 
They become quiet for a moment as they gaze downward with smirks on their faces. Kagome silently tucks her legs underneath her before rising up and slowly leaning in towards Inuyasha after placing her hand breezily against his face. “Hm,” he utters in bewilderment as he gazes up at her. It isn't long before her face is no more than a hairs-breath away from his. She then whispers, “A kiss…for old time's sake.” After uttering those words, she slowly presses her lips to his. He lightly presses his hand to the back of her head in return. They do not open their mouths or move their heads. Instead, they're lips just linger together, chastely frozen in place. After a few more seconds, Kagome releases him. As he continues to gaze at her, she suddenly does something else that he could never have imagined her doing. Still sitting with her legs tucked underneath her, she reaches for the subjugation beads around his neck. She smiles benevolently as she proceeds to lift them from around his neck as she moves his hair up. It isn't long before it is over his head and completely away from his body. After sitting back over her legs, she whispers as she clasps the necklace in her hands, atop her thighs, “You're free.” As she gazes at him with a good natured grin on her face, Inuyasha watches her, in disbelief. It takes him a moment to perceive that what he's experiencing at the moment is real. A smile begins to warm his features. “Thanks,” he utters softly in gratitude. They gaze at each other, with warmhearted grins on their faces. Then Kagome puts her pointer finger up in the air as she verbalizes spontaneously, “Wait.” She jumps up off of the bed before zooming over to her desk top. After pulling something out of one of the drawers, she jets back over towards Inuyasha, before sitting back down next to him. “Here,” she says as she hands him what turns out to be four identical pictures of her.
 
“One more thing,” she utters before leaping back up again. She takes a pen and a small pad from off of her desk top before jogging back over towards Inuyasha. After sitting down again, she takes the pictures from him before scribbling a couple words on the back of each picture along with her name at the end. When she's finished, she informs him, “These pictures are for Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and you. Your names are each written on the back of the one that belongs to you (she utters her last words in a chipper tone of voice) don't lose them-here ya go.” After handing the pictures back to Inuyasha, he analyzes them for a moment as she silently watches. Suddenly, a goofy expression appears on his face as he asks satirically, “Why is your face so shiny?” She replies in a mockingly lackluster tone of voice, “Sit, Inuyasha,” as she grins slightly and stares at him with an underwhelmed expression. Inuyasha stares back briefly with a similar expression before guffawing as he points at her, “You can't “sit” me anymore, hah-hah!” “I know that silly,” she replies light-heartedly as she folds her arms and shakes her head at him slightly. After they finish chortling, everything becomes silent again, as they gaze down shyly with both of their hands folded in their laps. Eventually, Kagome looks up at Inuyasha before saying, “Inuyasha…I won't lie to you…this is bittersweet for me, but I'm so grateful to know that you have always been trustworthy… That is why now, I have Michi. Everything happens for a reason. I understand now why I am supposed to be here in my time instead of the Sengoku Jidai.” She places her hand on his shoulder before saying with a friendly grin, “Inuyasha…go to him.”
 
- After exchanging a few more words, they both stand up and then Kagome walks with Inuyasha out of the house and towards the well. Once they arrive, Inuyasha asks, “If the well allows me back through again, do you mind if I visit you once in a while, just as friends?” Kagome replies, “I wouldn't mind…but I know that Sesshoumaru probably would. I know what that feels like and I wouldn't want to inflict that on someone else…” After a moment of silence, Inuyasha replies, “You're probably right. I don't want to hurt the people I love anymore…” He pauses for a moment before saying, “Kagome…” Kagome interrupts him as she places her finger against his lips and takes a hold of his hand (Kagome's a sneaky snake), “…You don't have to say it. It isn't true any how because you will always be here with me, in spirit.” After squeezing her hand, Inuyasha utters in reply, “Its true…I will.” They grin with bittersweet emotion as they continue to stand facing each other, hand in hand. Then finally…they let go. Kagome watches with tears in her eyes, as Inuyasha disappears into the well and she realizes that this is the last time she'll ever see him…incarnated in that form.
 
 
~ * ~ * ~
 
Thanks for reading