InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Miroku's Lyric ❯ Session Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

Memoir of Miroku,

 

When you're around people for a while, you get to know the real them, and occasionally question their sanity. Contrary to popular belief, you can't change a person, as a matter of fact, the worst thing you can EVER ask a person to do is to change. You simply adapt to a person's little quirks, as they do yours. Whether Sango thinks I'm crazy or not, I still believed that she was probably the most sane person I've ever met -incredibly bold- but sane.

 

Then I met her brother...

 

.

.

.

.

 

Session Seven- Kohaku

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

"What?! No way!"

 

"Kohaku-"

 

"No!"

 

Her eyes trailed her brother as he moved about the kitchen. In return, he glared back at her through the mirrors covering the walls, one of their mother's ideas.

 

"You were late again," he said, breaking the silence. Sango turned towards the digital clock on the wall, reading 10:32 in bold red letters. "You said you'd be in at nine."

 

"One of the many negative aspects of being in a hospital," his sister replied, "and you're changing the subject."

 

"Ain't nothin' to talk about. You've known this guy for not even a month, then suddenly he's moving in."

 

"He's badly injured, Kohaku. Where's he gonna go when he's fully recovered? The only place he has to go is back on the streets, right back into harm's way."

 

"Do you let all of your patients live with you?"

 

She was surprised by her brother's coldness. Looking him over, she reminded herself for the umpteenth time that he'd really grown in the past three years. She was always used to looking down at the small, scrawny little boy, but right before her eyes, he's halfway grown. His height had increased tremendously, his lanky physique replaced with a lean build.

 

Unfortunately, his persona had changed dramatically since the "accident". But she knew one thing that would reach him.

 

"Father would have liked him."

 

Kohaku sighed, letting his arms dangle at his sides. "You really trust him, don't you?" He let out another sigh as his sister nodded. "Sango, you've only known him for a little while, how can you trust him?"

 

Sango got up from the table, placing a hand on her brother's shoulder. "Just trust me, okay?"

 

Kohaku nodded hesitantly. "I'd probably like it a lot better if it wasn't a guy that'll be staying here?"

 

"He's just a friend," she replied, "besides, you never like any of the guys I go out with."

 

"Speaking of which, what happened to Kuranosuke? He hasn't been around prying into your life for a while."

 

"We're... taking some time off."

 

.

 

***

.

 

 

"M'roku- san! You've come to play with us?"

 

He smiled. "Of course, what would you like to play?"

 

"I wanna play on da swings!"

 

"Alright then, go ahead, I'll meet up with you in a minute," Miroku replied. He looked up at the sky, breathing in the fresh- or as fresh as you can get in the- standing still in the middle of the playground. Someone was watching him.

 

"You know," Miroku said aloud, "it's considered rude to stare, mostly because it makes the person self-conscious."

 

The on-looker jumped, obviously not expecting to be seen so early. The surprise quickly turned back to suspicion, not wanting to show any sign of weakness. He would have to speak with him, eventually, might as well get it over with.

 

Miroku turned towards him, studying the person's features. A boy in his mid-teens, small freckles dotting the middle of his face. He smiled. The resemblance to a certain doctor was uncanny.

 

"Kohaku, I presume. Sango's brother."

 

The boy shook his head, thrown off by the man's smile. 'He seems kind enough, but -no, wait- I can't be fooled. I have to be straightforward. For all I know he could be a serial killer.'

 

Miroku smiled at him, slightly amused. He knew what the boy was doing, testing him as if he was a father letting his daughter going out on a first date. The thought alone made him laugh.

 

Kohaku glared at the man before him. "You could at least take this more seriously..."

 

"You're here to see if I'm crazy, and you want me to act serious?"

 

"Look, I just want to make sure you aren't some kind of rapist, murderer, drug addict, or pedophile. As much respect as I have for my sister, this is probably the stupidest thing she's ever done. You two have known each other for a month, and now you're moving in!"

 

"Yes, it does seem rather unconventional, even downright foolish," Miroku replied, "is she always this generous with her patients?"

 

"No, she must really like you," Kohaku said. Suddenly the realization struck him. 'No... she couldn't like him... does she?' Miroku was good-looking, as much as hated the fact.

 

Miroku looked over towards the swing set. The little girl had long since forgotten about him, now playing with the other children. He gave a sad smile. All those kids were ill, wounded and diseased, but still fought to live. Kohaku watched him. "What's wrong with her?" he asked in a soft tone.

 

"AIDS," a feminine voice replied from behind, "the boy with the red cap has lung cancer, and the little girl next to them is recovering from domestic violence."

 

Sango walked towards them. "Having fun without me?"

 

Kohaku turned towards her. "You knew I was here, didn't you?"

 

"I know you well, Kohaku. I take it you two have gotten to know each other?"

 

"Sort of."

 

"Miroku?" Sango asked.

 

He smiled at her. "You two act so much alike it's not even funny."

 

"Are you sure about this? You sure you want to move in? You're still in recovery."

 

Miroku stood up from the table. "You said yourself that I was probably the most miraculous healer you've ever seen."

 

"Yes, but," Sango eyes him warily, "you could have relapse."

 

"Then I'll have my doctor present," Miroku replied.

 

"Alright, tomorrow we'll leave for my house, BUT," she said sternly, "you are not to leave the house for any reason, got it?"

 

He smirked. "Alright, okaa-san."

 

.

***

.

 

"Inuyasha! Inuyasha!"

 

She'd been walking for hours. The sun had long since set, darkness setting shadows across the streets, with only a few streetlights illuminating the road. She knew she should go home, knowing what happened to young girls when they stayed out too late in the big cities. She knew that she was a young girl, and Tokyo was a big city, but she couldn't leave without knowing Inuyasha was safe. If she didn't find him now, the police would first.

 

She leaned against a nearby wall, trying to relieve her feet of some of her weight. 'Inuyasha, where are you?' She looked around, suddenly realizing that the street was abandoned. Not a good sign. She had to leave. Now.

 

She hurried along the dark streets, cursing at herself for not noticing she had wandered into a bad neighborhood with no witnesses in sight. She could feel it, she could feel someone behind her, following her, preying on her. Without a second look, she ran.

 

The pursuer gave chase, she could practically feel his breath on the back of her neck, the sound of his boots ringing against her eardrums with the pounding of her heart. More footsteps were heard behind her, she could tell their were at least four or five by now, more than enough to take her down.

 

The fastest one grabbed her by her hair, practically tossing her into a large alleyway close to them. She moved against the wall as they moved in, silently praying that somehow she'd come out of this with her innocence and life in tact, even though she knew that was highly unlikely. She seen women in the hospital, emotionally broken and seemingly torn in half by the expierience alone. Tears sliding down her face, she buried her head in her knees, but keeping an eye open for a slight chance she could make a getaway.

 

"Get away from her, you know we're not supposed to be doing this?"

 

"Shut up, I do what I please."

 

The pursuer reached out, his hand stroking Kagome's face in an almost taunting gesture. She shook him off, as he chuckled at her fruitless attempts to remain untouched. She screamed, only to have the man's greasy hand clamped over her mouth. "Shut up, or I'll make you."

 

She heard another set of footsteps running towards the group, only heightening her terror. She shut her eyes, trying to take her mind somewhere else, so she wouldn't feel it, even though she knew she would.

 

Suddenly, she felt the man's weight literally tossed off of her. She opened her eyes, finding the group had ran off. She saw her savoir out the corner of her eye, his features hidden by the darkness of the alley. Whether he actually saved her or just wanted her for himself, she wasn't sure.

 

"It's okay, you're safe for now."

 

Her head jerked up. Almost instantly recognizing the voice as it registered. "Inuyasha?"

 

His violet eyes darted towards her face. 'Kagome?'

 

He came into the light of the street lamp. She gave a worried glance at him. "Inuyasha... what happened to you?"

 

He looked... broken. A large bruise covered the left side of his face, his clothes tattered and covered with splotches of mud. His unruly hair covered most of his face, but she could tell without seeing that his eyes were dead behind the sheet of onyx.

 

"Inuyasha, you've got to listen to me. The police are looking for you-"

 

He clamped a hand over her mouth, hearing his fellow members coming towards them down the fire escape. It was too late, they had already heard them and were waiting expectedly for his reaction.

 

"Inuyasha? Inuyasha, what's wrong?!"

 

Kagome grabbed his shoulders as he stepped closer to her. Suddenly, the wind was knocked out of her as she landed on the pavement. When she looked back up, her eyes widened as she stared at the gun only inches from her face.

 

"You shouldn't have come," Inuyasha said softly, "you shouldn't have tried to find me."

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

Preview of next chapter:

 

"I'm Miroku. May I ask who you are?"

 

He looked at the man in the doorway suspiciously. "Kuranosuke, Sango's boyfriend."

 

.

***

.

 

"Inuyasha," she whispered, "if you don't believe what I said to you that day, on the rooftop..."

 

Kagome stood defiantly, pressing the gun against her neck, her eyes never leaving his.

 

"If you don't believe me when I said I was your friend... then shoot me."

 

.

.

.

.

.

********

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you in the last entry, I'M NOW FOURTEEN! My birthday was July 13th.