InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Misunderstanding ❯ Where are you? ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Misunderstanding
 
By Silvermoon maru
 
Chapter 11
 
The forest hadn't been a quiet place since the Shikon jewel reappeared; numerous fights and battles had taken place in the verdant surroundings. The rustle of leaves and grass announced one more time the happening of another event.
The cool air stung the young woman's face as she ran. Cinnamon eyes adorned with a pink shade line slightly narrowed and her mouth curved in a frown. She moved with the grace and speed of a feline even when her dress was not fitted for the occasion. Her jet-black hair flew loosely moved by the wind.
The monk followed her closely; his expression mimicked hers. Some low branches scratched his cheeks; he wasn't so agile in avoiding them as the demon exterminator.
Even when his physical condition was not as good, the burning in his lungs and the protest of his limbs did not stop him from follow her.
Both of them agitated for not knowing their role in the play that was taking place, not just theirs but also of those who they cared.
An explosion ahead made them increase their pace. The breach between them opened a few more meters.
“Sango!” He tried to call for her but he breathed her name, his voice hoarse.
A cloud of dust rose in front of them and a blur of red moved into it. The adrenaline rushed in her veins at the familiar sensation.
The fight in front of her.
The concern for her friend.
The delicate movements of the unknown opponent.
She was trained for this.
The young exterminator ran into the battlefield trying to surprise the enemy that just had got her friend. She threw herself tackling him, rolling with him in the dirt.
******
Naraku came out from the well carrying the young girl in his arms; she had fainted right after they started with the time traveling. He smirked darkly to her while they traveled on top of a magic mist toward his palace.
They flew above the treetops, a green ocean extended in front of him with some touches of yellow and orange. In front of them, the mountains stood proudly waiting for the sun to hide behind them.
The power emanated from the human in her arms was mystifying and untrained. He examined her features, there was no doubt she was Kikyo's reincarnation. Kagome was as beautiful as she was, not as cold but she was younger and naïve.
Naraku laughed amused of how much fun this was going to be. His plan was going better than he thought. He even left the kugutsu (puppet) at the other era just in case.
“My dear Kikyo you'll regret your rejection. I'll make sure you pay dearly for it” his voice was soft and threatening as a snake. His intense gaze locked in Kagome's face.
 
*******
 
Inuyasha looked at both demon exterminators startled. He knew that she hadn't notice the identity of their opponent.
“Sango, wait don't hurt him!” if anything happened to that boy, she would never forgive herself.
The cloud dissipated enough for her to look at the face of the guy in the floor with her. It was not necessary as soon as her eye caught a glimpse of his clothes she knew what to expect.
“Kohaku” his name came from her lips with a longing undertone. Kohaku's eyes were glazed, empty. He pushed her away and stood up in a defensive position.
“Kohaku, it is I. Sango, your sister” she got up slowly; her eyes never left his face, hoping he would remember her. Anguish gripped her heart, her brother was a mere puppet controlled by the most evil being existent.
The boy made a leap and a flip towards Inuyasha and took the end of the chain, pulling his sickle back to him.
All of a sudden, the boy's body began to glow red, his arms fell on his sides relaxed, but keeping hold of his weapon, and elevated from the ground. A blow of wind pushed Inuyasha, Miroku and Sango backwards.
The taijiya (demon exterminator) called his name trying to wake him up his trance. It was too late, in the sky, floating on an enormous white feather arrived Kagura. A mocking smile played on her lips.
“Oh! It is too bad we can't stay for the party. I bet you were having a lot of fun” the body flew to her; the demoness wrapped an arm around his shoulder in a possessive way.
“Let him go! He is just a kid!” Inuyasha yelled, Tessaiga ready in his hand but he it was too risky to use it, he might hurt the boy.
“Naraku finds this `kid' very useful.” Kagura told him and waved her fan, sending another eruption of air, before she and Kohaku left disappearing in the bronze sky.
“Bring him back!” Sango shouted at her while she ran desperately trying to reach her but it was impossible. It was soon when she realized it and stopped, still staring at the sky.
A supportive hand landed on her shoulder, she was surprised to find it belonged to Inuyasha. The hanyou didn't look at her but it didn't diminish the value of the gesture. At her other side she met Miroku's face, there was a promise written in his eyes that he voiced aloud.
“We will get him back and Naraku will pay for all the pain he had inflicted to each one of us”
A hopeful smile appeared on her lips for a moment, however, her expression was replaced soon with a worried one and looked back at the hanyou.
“They retreated without any achieve like the last time” it had been a short nonsense battle. The shards were still around Inuyasha's neck. Miroku and Sango were fine. No one dead. Nothing stole. It just left one possibility open and it didn't took long to the half demon to notice it.
“It was just a distraction like the last time”
As on cue, Miroku remembered why he and Sango had followed him. The monk cleared his throat before he spoke.
“There is something important you should know Inuyasha” his friend gaze was slightly narrowed, he was paying attention to his words.
“ Naraku knows about the well. He set you up so you had to make Lady Kagome go. She was a threaten to him, her purifying powers were getting stronger.”
Inuyasha never thought of the idea of Naraku knowing about the well. How much he hated that bastard.
“Maybe he even knew about the soul matter and wanted Kagome to die at the other side of the well.” Sango added.
Without saying a word, Inuyasha turned around and ran back to the well as fast as his demon speed could go.
********
Kirara whined softly to the door. She stayed with Kaede and Shippou while Miroku and Sango were talking, but then, they just ran off without saying a word.
The little kit paced from one side to another of the hut. Patience was not one of his virtues.
“Why are they taking too long?” he complained and sat on the floor with his arms crossed. He couldn't wait to see Kagome; he missed her so much. His face looked sad when he remembered her broken expression when she left.
“They will be back soon, do not be impatient” the old miko stared out of the window.
“Kaede” Shippou called her.
“What is it kid?” the old priestess looked at the kit, he was fidgeting with his shirt, unsure of how to ask, but finally deciding to do it.
“How was.. er.. Kikyo? I mean.. when she was alive.” he wondered if she was like Kagome. He didn't understand very well all that stuff about reincarnations and sharing souls.
The old priestess sighed and let her thoughts flew to her sister.
“Kikyo was quiet and caring when she was alive. Her eyes always had a sad look. I was too young to notice then, the bitterness building into her, the kind of bitterness that comes with a fate based on a responsibility such as great as to take care of something like the Shikon no tama. Everybody wanted it; its power attracted all kind of beings. She had to be strong, and she was, not only she had great spiritual powers but also a strong will. Sadly, it made her a person who did not trust anybody. Onigumo, the thief she once helped, knew it and used it against her and Inuyasha.”
Silence fell over them. Kaede lost in her memories, while Shippou thought about what he just heard. Kikyo was wrong, if she had made friends and trusted people, she would have never died.
Kirara rested her head in Shippou's lap and the little kit petted her without saying a word.
`Kagome, please come back'
*****
When he arrived, he jumped through its entrance without thinking it twice. His sensitive nose received an unwelcome scent that made his heart thump faster and his nerves stiff in distress.
Soon he was at the other side and hurried outside from the well house in direction of Kagome's room. There was no time for him to knock the main door. As he arrived to the right side of the house the found lots of small pieces of glass scattered all over the shrine floor and around the tree where he usually climb to get to her room.
More confusion added to his already racing emotions. He climbed just to find that was Kagome's window the broken one and Naraku's scent was stronger inside. A silent growl reverberated in his chest. He stared at the place for a moment registering everything. Some of the furniture was destroyed, the noisy thing was broken on the floor, and the table with the huge mirror too and there was small crimson stains over the carpet, which looked like blood. Inuyasha's eyes narrowed into slits at the thought of Naraku hurting his Kagome.
Mrs. Higurashi was at the entrance kneeled on Souta's side, tending her son who was lying there with a purple bruise around his eye. Her face was full of concern and perplexity.
“What happened here?” he approached to them. The boy was waking up, his eyes snap opened and looked at his mom.
“Kagome! Where is she?” he sat in a blink and scanned the room searching for her. The instant he spotted the half demon his face changed from worry to fear, then to anger.
“Where is she? What did you do to her?!” the boy shouted at him. His hands clenched into little fists. Tears welled in his eyes. Mrs. Higurashi was startled with his son's behavior.
“Inuyasha just arrived Souta” she tried to calm him but the boy shook his head.
“No mom, he was here. They were fighting and he threw Kagome to the mirror. Then he hit me.” pain, betrayal and anger filled his words.
Mrs. Higurashi was stunned with those statements. She knew that Inuyasha would never hurt her daughter, because she knew that he cared deeply for her. She had that special intuition all mothers had. However, the things Souta told them were alarming, he was not the kind of boy that made things up for fun. The bruise in his cheek had come from somewhere, though.
However, it was very clear to Inuyasha. He knew Souta's expression perfectly; it was the last one he saw before she sealed him with that arrow 50 years ago. The same look that Kikyo gave him.
“It wasn't I, but an impostor. I'll promise to you that I'll get her back and safe” his voice was low controlling his rage. Naraku had dared to impersonate him again. He was the one making the story repeat, he just took advantage of Kagome and Inuyasha's accident to plot against him one more time.
Inuyasha jumped out of the window back to the well. Now, there were more issues troubling him like Naraku's ability to come through the time portal. Just Kagome and Inuyasha could do that. How he managed to pass through it was beyond his comprehension, there was the reason why a cold fear covered his guts. Naraku was more powerful and smart than he thought, as hard as it was for him to accept it.
He landed smoothly avoiding cutting his feet with the glass fragments. He ran to the well again and got into it. He hit the dark bottom and felt that nothing had changed. He looked up and found with horror the old wooden roof of Kagome's time.
The well was closed.
“No, you can't do this to me! You can't!!”
He fell on his knees and hit the ground. He shook his head denying the fact that he was stuck in Kagome's time and she was in Naraku's hands. He was scared of the things he could do to her.
What if he had already killed her?
“Kagomeee!”
Inuyasha called for her in an anguish cry, he was guilty of all the misery and trouble she was into. He dug in the ground with his claws, hurting his fingers with the rocks and pieces of bones mixed with the dirt. He didn't care, he have to save her. He wanted to see her sweet smile again, the way her eyes lighted up when she was happy. Those beautiful innocent eyes, how he missed them. A pang of sadness hit him.
An image appeared on his head. Naraku dressing in his white baboon pelt standing triumphant on a pool of blood, at his feet the motionless body of Kagome with her dull eyes staring at nothing, her school uniform and raven hair soaking in the cooling liquid.
He shook his head more fervently. That would not happen. He would find the way to go back. He called her again not aware that the three habitants of the Shrine found his voice as the most frightening sound they had ever heard.
 
********
Silvermoon: well, what do you think? Comments? Flames? Constructive criticism? If you find grammar mistakes please point them to me, the spellcheck of my computer is not the best but helps a lot.
Please review!!!