InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Moonlight Shadow ❯ Impudence ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 2: Impudence


Series: Inuyasha

Universe: Ninja AU (NOT Naruto-verse, mind you! Sorry! Traditional ninjas only).

Pairing: Eventual SessKag

Rating: PG-13 ( For now, suscepticble to change).

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and its characters are the intellectual property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I only make bad fanfiction about it.


Impudence

888

Two weeks earlier…

"Listen closely, Kagome." An aged but formidable woman growled as she faced the young girl bowing before her on the floor. "As of today, thou are to finish thy ninja apprenticeship under the capable teachings of Lord Sesshoumaru."

Kagome looked up from her bow, brows furrowed.

"Lord Sesshoumaru, my Lady?" she asked, her voice laced with poorly-concealed dread.

"That is correct. Thou art no longer mine pupil, Kagome."

"Kaede-sama, if I may speak freely?" Kagome spoke respectfully, her body still bent in a bow. The older woman nodded, already anticipating what was to come.

Kagome raised herself into a kneeling position, placing both hands on her lap. "Why can I not finish my apprenticeship with my Lady? You who have taught me all there is to know about the way of the ninja from early childhood; as such, you are clearly the ideal master for me. Not to dishonor my Lord, but if possible, I wish to remain your student."

The wizened old woman smiled inwardly at her impudence. Despite years of very strict training, Kagome had yet to curb that outspoken and rebellious side of her. Kaede had tried her best to temper it, but in truth the pretty, young woman had reminded her so much of her younger self that she had ended up nurturing it quite by accident. As it happened, Kagome was a ninja that questioned everyone and everything, even authority.

"I am afraid it does not work like that, child. There is nothing left for me to teach thee. I am but an old woman who is quite past her time of retirement."

Kagome visibly bristled at that. "How could you say that, my Lady?! You are one of the most capable ninjas of our village! You have taught me how to hunt, shoot an arrow, brew both healing broths and killing poisons -"

"Enough!" Kaede boomed, and Kagome instantly silenced. Kaede let out a sigh, and she seemed so much older, as if deflating and crumpling all at once before Kagome's eyes.

"Aye, child, so I have. And thou has been an excellent pupil. The best I have ever had, if I am honest."

Kagome flushed with pride. Kaede, stiff and drier than a tree in a desert, was not known for handing out compliments so generously.

"But there is still much for thee to learn of the way of the ninja. Things that I cannot teach thee."

Kagome scowled again. "Such as, Kaede-sama?"

Kaede took a long pull from her pipe and exhaled, the acrid smoke making Kagome's eyes water slightly. After years of being exposed to it, she would hope it no longer faced her, yet it always managed to make her want to cough. Ignoring her pupil's discomfort as she often did when it came to her smoking habit, Kaede ambled towards the cushion on the floor and ginglerly sat on it. She winced as a few bones cracked noisily. Yes, she was an old woman now, definitely not a worthy teacher for such a young and talented ninja.

Kagome waited patiently for her old master to settle in her seat. Finding a comfortable spot, she turned and faced the young woman.

"As a kunoichi," Kaede began explaining, "thou shall be expected to perform some tasks that only the female ninja of this village can do."

"And what might those be?" Kagome questioned.

Kaede's eyes glistened mysteriously. "Thou shall soon find out."


Authors notes: I always wish Kaede was more included in fanfics. People seem to forgot that, while her role in the anime may have been small, it was thanks to her that Kagome learned the basics of being a miko. Or in this case, of being a ninja? Anyways, Kaede does not get enough love and that makes for a sad Ange, so here you go. #TeamKaede

What could possibly lay in store for our young kunoichi? Read on to find out! And remember to R&R, show the author some love!(or hate, whatever strikes you. I'll take the good with the bad).