InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Darling Emiko ❯ Death Certificate ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
They had been searching for two days now, and had heard no word of Emiko. They did however manage to find another Shikkon shard, which didn't make them as happy as it normally would have.

"She couldn't have just vanished off the face of the earth!" Huyana said. He wasn't doing well at all. He hadn't been sleeping or eating from worrying about Emiko.

"We know that. She's probably at Sesshomaru's right now." Inuyasha growled. When he got hold of his brother, he was going to pay for this.

"Someone has to have seen her though," Kagome muttered as they stopped to rest. "There's a village up the road from here. Maybe an hour or so walk. Maybe we should stop there tonight and ask if anyone had seen her." said Sango.

Miroku looked up. "Yes, maybe we can do that." And the others nodded. Miroku always managed to procure them lodgings. Maybe a night in a bed will help the general mood of the group.

They all stood up and started down the road. When they made it to the edge of the village, a horrible site greeted them.

They houses were all burned down. Body's of the villagers littered the streets, the scent of blood strong enough so that the humans could smell it.

Shippo looked slightly ill as the scent started to get to him. He jumped into Kagome's arms as she looked around in horror.

"What happened here?" she asked in a whisper as they walked through the village. A moan was heard from one of the bodies and they rushed over to see if the man was all right.

He was badly injured, his arm was hanging limply at his side and his legs were both at wrong angles. He also was bleeding badly from a wound in his stomach.

"It was a youkai," he said hoarsely to them. "Tall, missing a hand, his claws..." the man shuddered visibly then closed his eyes as his body went limp and he died.

Kagome stood there and looked around, a fierce look on her face. "Let's go and see if we can find anyone alive" she said and started walking.

Shippo sat on Kagome's pack, nose twitching and eyes darting this way and that, looking for traces of life. Inuyasha walked ahead a bit, then he stopped.

"I knew it! I recognize that bastards scent! That's the bastard who got Emiko!" he growled loudly. Kagome grabbed his arm.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Yeah. I knew I recognized the scent, just couldn't place it."

Sango and Miroku were looking through some of the houses for signs of life. All they found were bodies of men, women and children. Some were slaughtered in their own beds! Sango hadn't seen such a horrible sight and Miroku said prayers for the dead.

"We should cremate the dead here." Miroku said as they joined Kagome and Inuyasha.

"Yes Inuyasha, we should. It wouldn't be right just leaving the bodies out like this." she said sadly.

"You can do that, I'm going to track down that bastard." He said lowly. Kagome nodded.

"I'm going with you." Huyana said with fiercness in his tone.

"Yes, don't do anything, please? Find him, then come back and get us. We'll take care of things here." Kagome hugged him. Inuyasha hugged her back fiercely and then turned and ran off with Huyana, following the scent of the Youkai.

Sango put a hand on Kagome's shoulder. "They'll come back." Kagome nodded and turned, ready to help take care of the dead here.

Inuyasha and Huyana ran, following the scent of the youkai, his blood boiling with anger. That bastard is as good as dead. he thought to himself as he stopped. Huyana had pulled to a sudden stop, making Inuyasha almost crash into him. Inuyasha was going to protest when Huyana gestured up a tree, indecating they climb it. Now that Inuyasha thought about it, he could hear the voices too. And now, they saw them.

There was 3 youkai talking amongst themselves. They sat around a fire and each had a bottle of Sake. "Stupid humans didn't even know what got them!" said a short youkai. His skin was black and slimy looking. His face was that of a salamanders and his head was bald.

"Yes, that was too easy" said a slightly larger youkai. This one looked more human, but with arms too long for his body and legs too short. He almost resembled an ape in the face.

"Bah! I for one am glad it was easy! The last job we did lost me my hand!" said the third youkai, the one that they were looking for. His skin was green and scaly, his face covered with scales. His eyes were bugged like a fish and he had a tiny tuft of hair on the top of his head.

"Don't matter, you caught the girl and brought her to Sesshomaru. What did he give you for her?" asked the first youkai.

"Yeah, what did you get?" said the second.

"Bah! He told me my life was payment enough. I guess that bitch could have put up more of a fight if she was prepared." Said the one-handed youkai.

Huyana and Inuyasha watched with interest. Huayna's anger was rising by the second as they made crude comments about Emiko.

"Feh! What would he want with her anyway? She's a half-breed! It's not like she's ugly" the first one laughed at this.

"But he doesn't seem the type to be interested in someone like her." said number 2. "But better hope she's not marked just incase. Or else your going to be going on another job."

"Well he didn't leave her to me, so I really don't care if she's marked or not. I'm not going after her mate though." Said One-hand.

"Can't be to strong. I mean, who wants a quater-breed anyway? Unless he just just liked th ass." number 1 said with a smirk.

"I don't care. By now, her companions should be looking for her." one-hand said with a shrug.

"Yeah, you did a number on them too. How did you get them to sleep through that?" asked number 2.

One-hand held up his good hand and venom slowly dripped down his claws. "My venom makes people sleep. Too much can kill." He laughed. "She was alive, but I wonder what kind of shape she's in now?"

The others laughed and Inuyasha and Huyana slipped away. Now that they knew what they looked like, it'd be easy to find them. The youkai sat unaware that they had just signed their death certificates.