InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Darling Emiko ❯ Remember ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
She awoke to the sound of a flute playing. It was a sad song and as Emiko tried to find out where it was coming from it stopped. What was that? she asked herself. Looking down on herself she saw that she was still wearing the torn remnants of her clothes and choked back a sob at the thought of what had happened. She was scared still, afraid because she had been totally powerless against him, but now she was angry. Probably angrier than she had ever been, she wasn't sure.

She thought back and still couldn't remember anything except waking up here. She didn't even know her name. She sighed softly in frustration and looked down at her hands. She was youkai, or something like it, she knew that much. But she had no idea about anything else. As she tried to stand up the music started playing again.

It was coming from outside her cell, she knew that much. But how was she going to get out. The door was locked...wasn't it? She walked over and tried to push the door open. Yep, still locked. The music got louder as she stood bye the door and Emiko started to get angrier. She had no idea what her crimes towards this 'Lord' was, but she doubted that they deserved her death, or her rape for that matter. The more she thought about it, the angrier she got.

She knew the only way to get her revenge on him was to escape until she had healed, but how was she going to get out? The music suddenly stopped playing again and that too irritated Emiko. Who the hell is playing that flute, and why the hell don't they help her? She grabbed the handle of the door and yanked on it, using all the strength she had left. The door popped off one of it's hinges with a snap and Emiko landed on her butt as the handle also came off.

She tried not to feel too elated as she peeked out the door to see if anyone had heard. She didn't see anyone, so she stepped into the hallway. The music started up again, towards the left side of the hallway. She turned towards the music and started to walk down the hallway. As she walked, she found herself no closer to the music, almost as if whoever was playing was walking away from her.

She growled low in frustration and ran towards the mysterious musician. She found herself going around corners until she stopped at a wall. The music was coming from behind the wall, but...how? She looked around the wall and sighed in frustration. Her legs were tired and her body ached and now she was stuck at a dead end!! She leaned against the wall and slid down it to sit on the floor. That creepy guy was going to be very mad when he found her missing. He'd probably kill her this time instead of...don't think about that she told herself silently and drummed her fingers against the stone floor.

The tune of the music changed from urgent to soft and soothing and Emiko leaned her head back and closed her eyes. As her head hit the wall behind her, something clicked and the wall slid a bit. Emiko turned and looked at the wall. It wasn't really a dead end, but a secret passage! Delighted, she shoved against the wall until a gap opened wide enough for her to squeeze through. She squeezed through, and slid the wall shut behind her. Turning around she surveyed the room that she was in now.

It was a large bed chamber. Who would wall up a bed chamber? she asked herself.

"It was my bedchamber" a voice said and Emiko turned quickly to see a lady sitting on a pillow on the floor with a flute in her hand.

"Who are you?" Emiko asked as she looked upon the lady. Her hair was very long, and black, but shot with silver and her eyes were a deep dark blue. She was dressed in a heavy pink kimono with a red obi.

"My name is of no consequence. I'm here to help you get away from here." she said softly and stood. As she stood, Emiko noticed that her kimono made no noise, and that her footsteps made no sound as she walked towards a tall cabinet on the wall.

"Here, dress yourself, and I'll tell you how to get out."

Emiko nodded. She was too tired to really argue. The lady showed her to a small room off the larger chamber. It was a bath.

"I'm sorry, but I have no way to get you hot water, but I'm sure you won't mind the cold water as long as you can clean up."

Emiko nodded again. She wanted to wash the blood from her body and hair and get the hell out of there. She washed her body off, and, using the pump to rinse, washed out her hair. Taking up a comb that was in the bath she managed to work the snarls out of her hair and braided it back.

She walked from the bathroom wearing a pair of kimono pants (like kikyou's except her are more snugg) and a long overshirt. It looked like a kimono but had slits up the sides so that she could run if need be. The pants were a dark blue and the shirt was a lighter blue.

"Come, you should rest first." and she motioned towards the bed in the room. Emiko, walked towards the bed as if in a daze and laid down. Almost immediately she was asleep.

She didn't dream so was surprised when she suddenly snapped awake. Something had woken her but what was it? As she opened her eyes, she noticed that they weren't in the Lady's chamber anymore, but outside. Then she noticed that it was night time and she couldn't see far in the dark. Raising a hand to her head, she noticed her ears were normal ears!

"What's going on?" She cried out in horror as she realized that she was no longer a youkai of any kind, but a human.

"Relax, it's just your time." a soothing voice said. Emiko snapped her head around and saw the lady that had saved her.

"My...time?"

"Yes, one day a month, from sundown to sun up you become a human. Really, it's advantageous for us because now you can go to that town." raising a hand she pointed to a road, and farther down the road, a small village.

"Ask to see the healer and show her this," the lady handed Emiko a bracelet. It looked almost like a rosary, the beads a deep red color. "She will hide you for the night. Then you must go and look for your friends."

"Friends? I had companions," Emiko asked excitedly.

The lady nodded and looked over her shoulder. "I have to go now child, please be careful. Don't throw away your life seeking revenge." as she said this, she started to fade from Emiko's view.

"Wait! Please!"

Emiko's cries were heard and the lady shook her head. "I can't stay away from my chamber for too long. Tell my son that I love him," and she disappeared entirely.

"Her son?"

Emiko shook her head in confusion and stood up. She had to make it to that village and find the wise woman so that she could be safe for the night. Putting the bracelet on, she jogged to the road and started down towards the village.

When she got to the village, she knocked on the door of the first house. A young woman answered the door and 3 small children bustled around her.

"Yes, can I help you" the woman asked, the door only open a few inches.

"Yes. Could you tell me where the healers house is?"

"Last house on this lane" the woman said and quickly shut the door. Emiko looked at the door that was shut in her face and sighed. Now what have I gotten myself into? she wondered as she walked down the lane. People peeked out their windows to see who was out this late and quickly shut them when they saw it was a stranger.

Heh, guess strangers aren't welcome here Emiko thought and walked a bit faster. Last thing she needed was to be lynched by people. Especially since she had no idea who her friends were!

"That lady, she could have told me what my friends looked like." she muttered to herself and knocked on the door of the last house on the lane.

"What do you want? Go away," an old voice called from inside.

"Please ma'am, I was told to go see the healer and that she could help me," Emiko said to the closed door.

The door creaked open and a wrinkled old face peered out at her. "Who sent you?"

"I don't know, but she told me to show you this," Emiko held up her wrist and showed the old lady the bracelet. The old woman gasped audibly and opened the door. Looking around outside, she dragged Emiko in and dropped the lock on the door.

"Where did you get this," the old lady asked as she sat Emiko down by the fire and pulled out a cups for tea.

"I told you, I met a lady. She's in the walled up chamber at...I don't remember where I was. Only that I was supposed to die. That asshole, I don't even know him! He wants me dead!" Emiko stopped as the tears started to flow and she sobbed. The old lady looked at Emiko and nodded.

I know of who you speak. His name is Sesshoumaru. He's the Lord of the Western Lands. If you are the girl that is supposed to die, then I know of you too.

"Really? Could you tell me my name? I banged my head, I think, and when I woke up, I couldn't remember." Emiko's sobs had died down to sniffles and she sipped her tea.

"Yes, if you are the quater-youkai girl, then your name is Emiko. You traveled with Sesshoumaru's half-brother Inuyasha and his friends. Word has it that they are looking for you. You've been missing for almost a week now." Emiko looked shocked at the old lady. The old woman nodded and unrolled a futon for Emiko to sleep on.

"You should sleep now child, for when the sun comes up, you must get away from here swiftly and find Inuyasha. He'll help you." The old lady laid down on a futon on the other side of the fire and quickly dozed off.

Emiko watched the fire for a few minutes more. Emiko? That is my name? It sounds right. I hope this Inuyasha and his friends can help me remember. and with a sigh she too laid down and fell asleep.