InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ No One's Laughing ❯ Betrayal ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I feel like such a special lady. So many reviews. *sigh*

In response to Theoretically Metaphorical: I will keep that in mind for my next story, but I have already pretty much finished this one. Well, this chapter is longer anyway.

Disclaimer: I hope that we are all smart enough to know that InuYasha is not mine.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))

Kikyo glowered at him. "What do you mean you don't love me anymore?" Inuyasha turned from her. He would let her go cleanly. She had forced him to make this choice, and he had made it. He walked toward his chosen.

"I love you, Kagome." He felt like he was being embraced, but she just stood there. He wrapped his arms around her.

"I'm sorry I waited, Kagome."

"You can't choose her." Inuyasha ignored her.

"I won't let you!" Her words didn't matter to him anymore. The decision had been difficult for him, but she just told him she loved him. He had been scared to pick someone who he wasn't sure returned his love. He nuzzled her, drinking in her scent. This was right. This was how it should be.

"Inuyasha, face me!" Kikyo was unrelenting, but he refused to turn around.

"Fine." He heard the twang of a bow, but it was too late to move. By the time he registered what was happening, there was an arrow through him and the woman he was holding.

"No!" he screamed, then watched as she faded away to nothing. "Where did she go?"

"You should have chosen me, Inuyasha. She can't help you now." He fell to his knees, clutching his chest. Blood trickled between his fingers.

"How could you kill Kagome?"

"She stole you away from me."

"I chose her."

"I tried to let you come with me willingly, but now I will take you by force." Inuyasha hung his head as she moved closer.

"How could you take her from me?" Sobs shook his bleeding body. Then he heard it.

"Inuyasha, it's okay. I'm here, Inuyasha. Please wake up." It was Kagome. He couldn't see her, but it was clearly her voice. Kikyo laughed.

"She can't help you now."

"No! Kagome, where are you? Please, I've already lost so much blood. Please tell me where you are. I can't see you." Kagome's voice burst through the clearing.

"I won't let you hurt him anymore!" A flash of pink light ran through the clearing, burning everything away. Inuyasha watched as Kikyo disintegrated. Her mouth was shaped in the word "How?" and her eyes were big with disbelief. Then he was alone in a void. It was as if there was not even nothing. All was empty. Then he heard Kagome calling once more.

"Please wake up. Please wake up. Please wake up." It was like a mantra. Then even his own body faded away.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

Kagome lay withered beside Inuyasha from using her Miko powers. She didn't know how to control them, and while holding Inuyasha, trying to convince him that she was alive and still there, they had unconsciously spilled forth. "Please wake up. Please wake up. Please wake up," she chanted over and over between sobs. His body had been still for a while, and she was terrified. Her head was pressed hard against his chest so his heart beat in her ear, assuring her that he was still there. Inuyasha stirred a little, and his eyes fluttered open. Kagome felt the arms that had been wrapped loosely around her squeeze tight.

"Kagome," he whispered. She sniffled and stared up at him. After a long while, she said, "You had a bad dream." He laughed at himself.

"Of course, it had all been a dream," he thought. She hadn't really confessed her undying love for him after all. That would be too good for him. He let her go afraid he had positioned her this way in his sleep. "It wasn't all bad," he said.

"I heard everything you said, Inuyasha."

"Keh. What do you mean?"

"I heard you tell Kikyo you didn't love her. Then you said you loved me." He blushed.

"Well, in my dream you said that I was always in your heart, and that you would be with me no matter what." His voice dropped off at the end. He feared rejection more than death, but he felt the need to justify what he had said.

"You heard that?"

"Well, yeah. But it was only a dream." He turned his dejected face away from her. How could he have believed she would really say that? It was only his mind playing out his hopes.

"I said that."

"Yeah." He was becoming exasperated at her astonishment. "In my dream."

"No, Inuyasha." She turned his face toward her with a gentle hand on his chin and looked him in the eye. "I said that. And I meant every word."

In an instant his arms were back around her. He kissed her forehead, her cheeks, her eyes, her jawline. His lips lingered when they touched hers. She tasted exactly the way he had imagined, except salty from tears. He nestled his face in her hair and kissed her throat. He was so happy. Kagome was alive, and she really did love him. Everything was okay now. Everything was right. Nothing could ruin the bliss that was that moment.

"I'm glad you're feeling better," said Miroku, "We were worried."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

A/N: I wasn't sure how to end this chapter, then I thought, "The rest of them are still in the room, stupid!" Oh yeah. I figured Miroku would be the best candidate to interrupt them. Any way there are two more chapters left. I haven't written them yet though so it may take a couple days to get them up; unless I get inspired. I have already decided what's going to happen and I will forewarn you that if you are against unhappy endings, the next chapter can be considered the end for you. I will write it so that it closes there, but for you braver, more open-minded readers, the last chapter is going to be a doozy.