InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Of Youkai Bondage ❯ Promise ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Umm, it's update time again! You ask. I deliver.

Disclaimer: I'm trying to get Inuyasha for Christmas, but I don't think it's going to work out.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

Kagome twirled her fingers through Inuyasha's long white hair. They were laying on her bed reading. It was nothing in particular, just some classic novel she had lying around from when she was in school. Inuyasha liked to read. She had asked him why once, and he'd responded, "Because I'm not supposed to." His attitude made her smile. He was so rebellious. He was always trying to get away with things, and she let him. Her Inuyasha was wild. He was a raging river. He needed room to move, and if he didn't get it, he would take it. No matter what the consequences.

"Hey Kagome, listen to this. My mother is a fish. That's it. That's the whole darn chapter." She giggled. That book was so confusing sometimes. Then there was a light knock on the door.

"Enter," yelled Kagome. The door opened to reveal a disheveled Ayame. She looked like she hadn't slept the whole night. Her hair was mussed, and her face was red. She moved as though she was in a stupor. Every step was slow and deliberate.

"Ayame, what's wrong?" Kagome was concerned. She knew life as a slave was tough, but she had never seen the poor girl like this before.

"Nothing, Mistress Kagome." She continued slowly to the hamper to do her daily chores, then wavered on her feet. In a flash, the hanyou had her in his arms, catching her before she hit the ground. Her small body shook with sobs as she pressed herself to his chest.

"Lay her down on the bed, Inuyasha." He brought her over and gently set her down.

"Ayame, tell me what's wrong." The pathetic girl looked up at her.

"Remember the man I told you about. The wolf youkai prince that was to be my mate?"

"Yes."

"I saw him last night. He came to my quarters and beat the man who had been taking advantage of me. He still remembered me after fifty years. He still loved me. Then, we became one. He told me he didn't care about the past and promised never to leave me again. It was the most wonderful thing I've ever experienced."

"So, why are you so sad?" Inuyasha stared in shock at her. He knew the answer. There had been a wolf youkai prince with him when he was delivered to the house. He had been sentenced to serve Kikyo. She must have taken him from Ayame.

"It's Kouga, isn't it?" he asked.

"Yes, how did you know?"

"Oh no," gasped Kagome. She knew that name. That was her sister's new personal slave. Ayame's love was being harmed by her own flesh and blood.

"Kikyo took him from me. Oh Gods, Mistress Kagome, I just want him back so much. I have spent all this time praying for just one more moment with him, but now that I've gotten it, I want more. I want him more than ever. I just hope he's okay."

"He's not."

"Inuyasha!"

"Kagome, I can't lie to Ayame. She knows what goes on in that room. She knows he's not okay. But don't worry. You have given him hope. He knows you are alive and well. He must live for you. If I were taken from Kagome, I would not let myself die. I would live on, powered by the need to be with her again." Kagome was stunned. He really cared for her. She tried to imagine herself in Ayame's shoes. Inuyasha stolen from her, being used by someone else. Her heart ached just thinking about it. Poor Ayame. She knew suffering all to well.

"Do you really think so?" Her tears had ebbed a little. The assurance that he would live on, just for her was comforting.

"I know so."

"Don't worry, Ayame. I have made the decision to confront my sister. I will get Kouga back for you. I promise."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

A/N: The book he was reading is William Faulkner's As I lay Dying. Truly a strange novel. There really is a whole chapter that is just that one sentence. Okay enough about stream of consciousness writers. Review!