InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On a Wing & a Prayer ❯ Sesshomaru's Confession ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

[A/N: Hi there! Thanks for all these wonderful reviews!!! Anyway, a couple of you asked how Inu-Yasha know about 'Days' (which beside Inu-Yasha is the best show on the planet). Well, I really don't know, it was an impulsive line…so how about Kagome explained it to him? Ah, whatever. Come up with some little anecdote yourselves. I have some writing to do.]

On a Wing & a Prayer

Part XI: Sesshomaru's Confession

"Sesshomaru! What is your problem?! I didn't embarrass you, did I?" Gina demanded as she quickly followed after him, looking quite flustered. He didn't answer; he simply gave a low growl. Gina sneered a bit, but it quickly faded. She had kissed him! What in all the hells was I thinking? she asked herself furiously. She blushed a bit. Sesshomaru had seemed to almost…enjoy her kissing him…and truthfully, she had too.

After a few minutes of their break-neck speed, thunder rumbled above them. Gina hadn't even noticed that the light rain had changed to a slight shower. Sesshomaru hadn't noticed either; he was also preoccupied with his thoughts, both of Gina's kiss and his wounds.

Sesshomaru absentmindedly examined his largest wound, the one Inu-Yasha had just given him. He was lucky he had been cut right in half. It's that damn girl's fault, he thought scornfully. But…there was something else, too. The wounds that he had gotten earlier, which had already started to heal were now completely gone, with only faint scars in their place, and the one he had just received had already begun to mend. When she kissed me, he thought, I could actually feel these wounds healing. Just what manner of being is Gina?

He scowled a bit. I know asking her what happened will prove to be fruitless, he thought, This is most likely another one of her phantom abilities. His scowl grew. But soon, it faded. He looked back and saw Gina shivering slightly, her hair and clothing dripping, her feet caked in mud. There was that awful feeling of guilt and compassion again! What in all the hells is wrong with me? "Gina," he called gently. The young woman perked up a bit. "What, you want to yell at me again?" she asked. He could hear the tears in her voice.

"Just come up here, you're lagging behind. I believe there's a cave a few miles up ahead," he replied. Gina looked quite surprised at his sudden kindness, and did as he said. She ran over to him, and then continued on walking next to him.

"This isn't like some kind of inane punishment of yours, is it?" she asked quizzically. He glanced over at her, his eyes like golden ice. "I seriously doubt that being tolerant of someone as obnoxious as yourself if far from punishment," he replied sarcastically. Gina simply sighed and looked down. I guess he is still cross, she thought. Well, what she had done was rather questionable. She really didn't know why she had kissed him. Her excuse was to get his attention…but, was that her true purpose?

They walked silently for a few moments, when a bolt of lightning flashed behind them. Gina jerked a little, looking back as the bolt faded. She shivered even more as the rain, now a heavy downpour. Sesshomaru, soaked to the bone himself, glanced over at her. She was so drenched that, with the humidity, her yukata was sticking to her body, giving him a perfect view or her form. He swallowed hard, trying to shake the awful thought.

Gina looked over at the demon lord, and saw his eyes were closed. As she watched him, a slight smirk grew on his face. "What are you thinking about that's so funny?" she asked cynically. He opened an eye, his slight smile fading. "Nothing," he said, his glance traveling down her slim form. He shook his head a little, earning a confused glare from Gina. He simply eyed her. After a few moments of a locked glare, Sesshomaru spotted the cavern he had spoken of earlier, and the two entered.

Gina shivered even more as the cave's cold air hit her, but it was much better then being out in the rain. She sighed a little, straining her eyes to see in the dark. She reached into her pocket, grabbing a piece of flint. She had found it while traveling with Sesshomaru, and figured that it may come in handy. She stumbled around like a blind man, until her feet hit something soft. "Straw," she whispered triumphantly. And it was dry, too. She leaned down to grab a handful when she heard hissing.

She stood completely still. "S-Se-Sesshomaru…" she stuttered, "T-t-there's a sn--" Before she could say more, she heard the sound of wet cloth, and then the final hiss of the snake. Of course, she thought, He's a demon. Then she felt a hand running up her arm. "You need to be more careful," he stated coldly. Gina sighed inwardly as he walked to the other side of their cave. So, that's four times he's saved my life in the last week.

After about fifteen minutes of hitting her little piece of flint against another rock, she got a spark, and quickly transferred it to her dry clump of straw. With the little bit of light, she looked for more snakes, and after determining that there were none, picked up two armfuls of hay. As she built up the fire, the room filled with light, and she was finally able to see what she was doing.

Sesshomaru was leaned against the opposite wall, near the entrance, his eyes half closed. On the opposite side of the small cavern was a small bed of hay from where she got her kindling, which was evidently left behind by whatever beast had inhabited the cave last. She bit her blue lower lip, rubbing her hands together. She sat down next to her little fire, she sighed, shutting her eyes.

"You're quite resourceful, for a princess," Sesshomaru said, glancing over at Gina. She opened her eyes and looked over at him, smirking a bit. "If that's a compliment, thanks. My father taught me before he died," she said. Saying this brought back many memories, but it was the least of her problems at this point. She wasn't sure if she'd ever see her family again. She sighed a little.

A thoughtful looked crossed Sesshomaru's face. "Your father…how did he die?" he asked bluntly. Gina's eyes darted over to him, looking both intrigued at his question and a little hurt. Sesshomaru looked up, seeing her expression. "I didn't mean to turn up bad memories," he said. Gina shook her head a little. "No, it's okay. And to answer your question…he perished in battle about si years ago," she replied simply.

Sesshomaru nodded. "As did mine. Trivial reasons for such tragic events, aren't they?" he asked, his voice filled with a mix of compassion and understanding. Gina smiled half-heartedly. "You don't have to sit by yourself in the cold, you know," she said simply, smiling at him a little. Sesshomaru glanced over at her, watching as the light from the fire danced on her face. He stood, walked over, and sat down next to Gina.

She looked up at him strangely. "You're cold. It's better to be near someone," he said, replying to her quizzical expression. She looked back down at the crackling flames, not really minding Sesshomaru being so close. A soft smile crossed her face, and without any hesitation, she leaned her head on his shoulder. Instead of protesting, he let her rest her head, smiling a little.

Gina sighed a little, nuzzling her head against him. Then Sesshomaru did something unexpected. He leaned down, gentle kissing Gina's hair, inhaling her wonderful scent. As he moved away, she looked up at him dreamily. He smirked a little, and then leaned back down, gently kissing her on the lips. He pulled her closer, giving her a loving nuzzle.

"Gina," he whispered gently into her ear, "At first…I thought of you as nothing but filth…but now…I'm not sure… how exactly I feel." Gina's eyes widened. Is he saying…that he loves me?!