InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Question ❯ Free Day ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blanket Disclaimer: I don’t own InuYasha or any of the characters therein. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi, and she does a beautiful job!Please forgive any spelling and grammatical errors.



One Question


Chapter 11 – Free Day



0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0



I nuYasha rubbed his head and placed his arms on the table in front of him, “you have got to be kidding me.”

“Yeah, there is no way we can do all of that,” Kagome agreed.

“It is the responsibility of the maid of honor and the best man,” Koga reminded them.

“Oh, and what about all that other stuff you had us do?”

Kikyo looked down at the hands in her lap, “maybe this is asking for too much,” she relented.

“What?” Koga couldn’t believe his ears.

Kagome let out a deep breath, “fine, I can do it.  It is my responsibility after all.”

Kikyo smiled thankfully at Kagome.

All eyes turned expectantly at InuYasha.

He closed his eyes and looked the other way, “don’t look at me, I already told you guys where I stand.”

“Now InuYasha, that is not acceptable,” Miroku interjected.

“Like I care, we have both done so much for this wedding.  What have the rest of the bridal party done… if anything at all?”

“We have put the invitations that you two picked out together, bought the decorations you picked out, got fitted for the outfits you both finalized on, and are in progress of putting the favors together, oh and sealed stamped and delivered all of the invitations, and we are responsible for keeping up with the responses,” Rin stated matter-of-factly.

InuYasha looked at her jaded, “It was a rhetorical question there, Rin.”

“Well, maybe we should just start talking about what we started yesterday,” Koga stated smugly.

InuYasha felt his eye twitch.

“Oh, you guys had a conversation… what was it about?” Rin asked interested.

“Oh yes,” Miroku replied as he pointed to his chin, “I do remember that we had quite the serious conversation yesterday.”

“Save it, Miroku, or else we will really talk about what it was we talked about,” InuYasha told the man seriously.

Miroku’s eyes widened, “yeah, Koga, I don’t think we should bring that up.”

“What was it that you three talked about?” Kikyo asked.

InuYasha took a deep breath, “you know, I will help Kagome,” he replied as he grabbed her hand.  “We are out of here.”

“Wait, InuYasha,” Kagome tried, but they were gone.

Koga smiled smugly, “oh, nothing really babe, I was just trying to press his buttons. You know how that is,” he told her joking.

Kikyo shook her head, “Oh yeah, I can remember,” she told him with a smile.

“Wait,” Sango interjected, “if you were just trying to agonize InuYasha, then why did Miroku act all … weird.”

The room faced Miroku.

“Well, I really need to go and do that thing I needed to…” and he ran out of the room.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“So, where do we start?”

Kagome had to catch her breath, “I have no idea frankly.  That is why I wanted you to hold on a minute,” she told him as she narrowed her eyes at him.

InuYasha just shook his head, “whatever, it’s just a bachelor and a bachelorette party…how hard could it be to plan?”

Kagome laughed at him, “We have three weeks before the wedding and only two weeks to figure out how hard it can be.”

InuYasha huffed and sat on a bench.

He waited until she sat down, “are you really okay with doing all of this?  I know how much time you already didn’t have and... Well –”

Kagome shrugged her shoulders, “I mean, it does stress me out a little at times, but Kikyo is my sister.  I love her, and I want to make her happy.  It’s the least I can do.” She finished quietly.

“You say that all the time.  Kagome, you don’t need to feel like you owe Kikyo anything.  She knows you wouldn’t do anything to her, and even if you have in the past… it couldn’t have been that bad,” he told her obstinately.

Kagome, for the first time, really did not feel like answering him.

A silence went between them for a while as pedestrians walked in front of them and behind, cars drove passed them at fast and slow speeds, horns honked, and people hollered.

“Hey, let’s have a free day,” InuYasha told her breaking the silence that he hadn’t even noticed.

Kagome lifted an eyebrow at him, “a free day?”

He shrugged a shoulder at her, “yeah, we have a stress free day.  I will take you to lunch and then maybe some relaxing here and there,” he told her with a grin.

“That does sound tempting, but we really need to think about what we are going to do for these two parties.”

He nodded his head in agreement, “no, of course, we can do as much thinking and talking as we need to, but we definitely need a break.”

Kagome smiled at him, “deal.”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“ So,” InuYasha began as he started chewing a French fry, “how are things going with Ariana’s dad?”

“I thought you said stress free?” Kagome asked him mockingly.

InuYasha rolled his eyes, but he did realize that it might be stressful to her, “sorry it’s just… I was curious I guess,” he told her somewhat honestly.

Kagome bit her lip, before taking a sip of her cream soda, “well, things are going as best to be expected I suppose.”

InuYasha nodded his head, “how is he taking it?”

Kagome looked at him seriously, “how would you take it if you had just found out you had a daughter?”

InuYasha thought about his answer for a moment, “I guess… I would be okay.  I mean, I might be upset for a little, but why would I be mad forever?  I sure would not want to be the man who choose anger over a relationship with their kid, you know?”

Kagome looked at her plate as she messed with one of her fries, “I guess that is how he feels then,” she laughed.

InuYasha nodded his head, “so would I know this guy?”

Kagome’s eyes widened, “I – isn’t this a little personal?”

InuYasha lifted his hand, “sorry, if you don’t want to talk about it, we don’t have to.”

“Thank you,” Kagome answered honestly.

A few moments passed, and then Kagome started laughing, “You know the sad thing about my relationship with Ariana’s father?”

InuYasha shook his head intently.  

She looked sadly at him for a moment. and then looked back down at her plate and started playing with her food, “I was a virgin, before I met him,” she laughed again.  “I was trying to save myself for marriage.  I know that seems so foolish nowadays, but it always seemed so important to me.  Completely opposite of Kikyo, but it’s not like I have to tell you,” she replied sarcastically.

But InuYasha knew exactly what she said.  Kikyo was definitely not one to wait for marriage.

“Frankly, I haven’t slept with anyone since,” Kagome continued. Her lip quivering a little, showing InuYasha just how sad she was about the subject.  “Her father is the only person I have ever been with,” she looked up at him with tears in her eyes.

InuYasha placed his hand over hers for a moment, “listen, have you told him all of this?”

Kagome laughed bitterly, “he knows.”

InuYasha studied her for a moment, “Kagome, are you… I mean… do you want to marry Ariana’s father?”

Kagome looked up at him, tears still in her eyes, face flustered, and her mouth was in shock.

For a moment all she could do was stare at him like this.  She couldn’t believe how deep a question he really asked her … but then she looked down at her hands, “would that be pathetic of me if I did?”

Her answer took him off guard.

How would he answer her?

“I don’t think that would be pathetic at all,” he told her honestly.

She looked up at him, her lips quivering.

He would not deny that it might be strange to some, but he, somehow could understand why she would want to… if for nothing else but Ariana.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“Come on, InuYasha!”

InuYasha shook his head, “there is a limit to something’s,” he told her seriously.

She looked at him doubtful, “you said that I could pick, and that is what I want to see.” She told him as she crossed her arms over her chest.

InuYasha let out a deep breath and looked once more at the poster, and then he walked over to the ticket booth, “two for Catching Fire, please.”

Kagome let out an excited squeal, “thank you!”

“Yeah, yeah, remember you owe me,” he told her as he opened the door to the theatre.

“Oh, I will remember,” she told him as she winked.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“Okay, thank you so much!”

“She said it was okay?” InuYasha asked her as she got off the call.

Kagome turned towards him and nodded her head, “yeah, I was going to say goodnight to Ariana, but she already fell asleep,” she told him as her lips formed into a pout.

InuYasha smiled at her, “you have done well, you know that?”

Kagome looked at him seriously as they started walking down the strip that led from the movie to the parking garage.  “What do you mean?” She asked him as they passed street lights on their right.

He lifted his shoulders and tucked his hands into his dress pants, “I mean with Ariana.  I know it had to be hard raising her this long by yourself.”

“Oh,” Kagome replied as she looked down.  She slipped some of her dark brown hair behind her ear, “well, it wasn’t that bad.  I had help from Kikyo,” she told him sadly.

InuYasha shook his head and stopped walking, “Were things that bad between you and Ariana’s father?”

He really couldn’t wrap his mind around it.  This whole situation was driving him crazy.

Kagome looked at him, “we didn’t really have a relationship to begin with…so I guess it would be bad,” she finished and started walking.

InuYasha wanted nothing more then to grab her arm and turn her around to face him.  He knew she was hiding something from him, and it drove him crazy, but he thought better of it.

They finally reached his black Audi, “listen, maybe we should just head home, I have a long day tomorrow,” Kagome said as they got into his tan leather seats.

He looked at her puzzled a moment, “listen, I didn’t mean to …” and he paused.

He placed his hand on the gear, “I know this whole thing sucks for you, and I am here to help… but I can’t help if you keep leaving me in the dark, Kagome,” he told her honestly.

He backed out of his spot then, and just as he turned a corner he could see a tear falling down her cheek, before she quickly wiped it away.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

A/N: well I am definitely going to stop here for today.  Got to get ready for class.  Let me know what you think :)