InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming ❯ A Burden Lifted ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Eight: A Burden Lifted

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was simply amazing. Her mouth felt like it had been on fire… His hot body had been pressed against hers… Kara had loved it the first time he'd kissed her, even though she would have died before she would have admitted it to him. The second time was unbelievable… he was firm and demanding as he snuck into her mouth. Kara rolled over in her bed, moaning as she hugged herself. Why was she feeling like this? How could such a supercilious and rude asshole make her feel so alive?

It's because he's not a total asshole… A small voice in the back of Kara's mind reminded her. Her hand rose to touch her lips again as she licked them, some of his flavor still evident. She shivered briefly before she put a damper on herself. "No!" she shouted, sitting up and slamming her hand that had rolled into a fist on the bed. "He CANNOT just do stuff like that to me! I have my own free will!"

Whoever she was shouting to did not seem convinced as she flopped back onto her pillows, a shameless smile upon her face. She sighed and closed her eyes, dreaming of his large hands that had swam through her hair with such passion and earnestness that- "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" she roared as she flopped a pillow over her head and went to sleep, determined to keep Sesshomaru from her roaming mind.

**

"So Kara's got no place to go?" Inuyasha asked his brother when he came home from work. His hair was a bit tangled and ruffled but he seemed pretty awake for it being midnight.

"Yes. Why are you still up?" Sesshomaru asked his brother with no emotion in his voice. His eyes narrowed as he looked at his younger half-brother who was drinking a glass of milk.

"I can't sleep. What's it to `ya?" He barked, his eyes narrowing. A loud snore shook the both of them briefly and the sound of glass shattering and scattering across the floor made Inuyasha cringe. "Oooh… Dad must be really out…"

"So it seems," The senior muttered, entering the living room to see his father sprawled out on the couch, reeking of beer. His hand that had been holding the now broken bottle was relaxed and his fingers were twitching slightly. Sesshomaru sighed and picked up the largest piece of glass, re-entering the kitchen and threw it out, rolling his eyes.

"I'll help," Inuyasha murmured as he leapt down from his perch on the counter, setting his milk down and grabbed the broom and dustpan. From afar they would have looked like maids because of their long hair but up close, they were angry and tired high school boys. As they continued to clean, he noticed tenseness about Sesshomaru. He was slightly jumpy and that never went without saying. "So… Was Kara here earlier?" The junior said smoothly and casually, observing as his older brother glared at him briefly, something other than anger gleaming in his eyes.

"Possibly…" Sesshomaru answered, his eyebrow lifting slightly as if asking, `what are you getting at' or `how did you know?'

"I found her hair tie on your floor and one of her notebooks when I was taking your dirty clothes downstairs," Inuyasha supplied, carrying the rest of the broken glass to the garbage can and dumped it in. He leaned against the doorway of the kitchen, watching his older brother try and stifle a comment about it. "Her perfume and your cologne was smothered on your rug. What were you doing?"

Sesshomaru's eyes shot up as he growled at Inuyasha, chucking the broom at him. "Why is it your business what I do?"

"Well excuse me for living!" the junior shouted back, baring his teeth just as Sesshomaru was. Both of them were grumpy, pissed and one was aroused. You take the guess. The senior calmed himself and sighed, smirking as he closed his eyes. He chuckled and massaged his temple briefly before he turned and went to his room. "What're you laughing at!" Inuyasha shouted after him.

Sesshomaru merely glinted back at him with angry eyes and a malicious smirk upon his face as he slammed the door to his room and tried to go to sleep. Minutes later, his younger half-brother barged in in only his boxers.

"Kami-sama, Inuyasha. I didn't know you were like that," Sesshomaru murmured with sarcasm dripping off of his deep baritone voice.

"Heh heh heh," Inuyasha mock laughed, a scowl on his face. "I heard from Kagome that Kara's got no place to stay. She called her house but Kagome doesn't have room in her house, what with her extended family moving in. Um… We've got a room downstairs… How about letting her-"

"No." Point blank response.

"Oh Kami-sama, Sesshomaru! What the hell is with you? You can't go around convincing yourself that you hate Kara because you feel far from that, don't you? How would you feel if you were in her place? What if it was Kagome and I acted the way you are acting right now? Hm? You would say it's not fit for a man to deny someone a home. So what are you doing now, you big jerk?" Inuyasha roared, panting after he finished. He kind of looked around in embarrassment for a moment before he nervously scratched his arm. "Sorry, I got kind of carried away… But still-"

"You heard my decision. If you don't like it, you build Kara a house. Father is never home so who takes care of this house?" Sesshomaru fired back, standing and showing his height advantage over Inuyasha who only sighed and growled through his teeth.

"You."

"And who works a part-time job?" He asked, his voice somewhat more gentle and mocking now.

"You."

"And who-"

"OK! I get it. Even though I think it's wrong…" Inuyasha muttered, raking his hand through his hair quickly. "Whatever. Good night," he said over his shoulder as he promptly slammed the door behind him.

Sesshomaru felt agitation and guilt rise in his chest. Kara should live here… But what if I… give into the flesh again like I did earlier today? What will happen then? I cannot deny that she is attractive… TOO attractive but what if I… He shook his head and flopped back onto his bed. It did not matter. She would simply find another place to stay, right? He closed his eyes and tried to fall asleep with that thought in mind.

~*~

"So… This Sesshomaru guy… He's the one who made you cry right?"

"Yes, Sandy, that's him."

"He KISSED YOU? AND HE'S HOT?!"

"Yes!"

"Why didn't you call me sooner about this? I mean it was a huge deal when he made you cry and all!"

"Sorry Sandy! I called Christy first and talked to her about it then I had to call you the next day. Christy wasn't home now so I called you first this time."

"… Right… Well anyway… On a sadder note, I got dumped."

"What? No way! Justin was perfect for you!"

"And the jerk dumped me! GO FIGURE! You can never find a hot guy with a good personality these days."

"Yah. Tell me about it…"

"…….. Oops! My cell's running out of minutes Kara! I must depart!"

"Farewell, dear Sandy. Hee hee!"

"Still cute as ever, Kara! NEVER CHANGE!"

"I won't Sandy and when you see Christy at school tell her I love her and that she needs to call me on my cell!"

"Ok, see ya."

"Bye!"

~*~

"Hey Sesshomaru," Kara asked, biting down the blush that threatened to grace her cheeks and the warmth that spread through her stomach when she looked at him. She was going to pretend that yesterday never happened, seeing that it was what he was doing at the time.

"What?" He snapped, his golden eyes hard as he turned to look at her as they walked down the hallway.

"Do you think… um… That I could maybe stay with you and Inuyasha for the time being? You know with my current situation?" She asked lightly, pleading with her eyes, hoping he would give in.

Sesshomaru felt his chest tighten but sped up his walking pace. "Sorry, not interested," he told her over his shoulder as he continued to walk. He heard the brisk sound of Kara's sandals clacking against the shiny marble floor as she chased after him and grabbed his arm. He stiffened and immediately attempted to shake her off but she refused.

"Oh please! I have nowhere to go! SERIOUSLY!" She pleaded verbally, holding his arm with a vice grip. He growled and shoved her off of him maybe a little too harshly because she lost her balance, tripped over her sandal and fell onto the ground, landing hard on her wrist. Sesshomaru's idle gaze went toward her as he saw her on the ground. Kara desperately wanted to cry from the pain in her wrist but refused to. Not in front of him. Her eyes did fill up however and the tears unconsciously spilled down her cheeks. She grit her teeth to suffice the rest of the pain.

Shit… What did I just do? The senior thought in slight worry and irritation with himself. Normally he did not strike girls. Only with special exceptions. This was certainly not an exception. He walked slowly over to her and pulled her up by her other arm and took his hand back quickly when she slapped at him and yelled at him to back off. She cradled her wrist, which was hanging limp and started to shuffle off, sniffling beneath her hair.

"Kara…" Sesshomaru said a loud, walking to her side. What he had just done was dishonorable. Times 2! She had been asking for a home and then he had hurt her… She turned to look at him, her azure eyes very liquid-like as she held her weak wrist to her chest.

"Don't say anything more to me… I understand how it is… But you didn't have to do this to me you big jerk!" She shouted, tears flying everywhere. "I suppose it is too much to ask for a home! My aunt didn't want me, I'm not allowed to live by myself or work a job anymore… So why the hell would YOU want me living with you? I'm such a burden! A burden who's menstruating! I should go die!" She whirled around, tears blinding her vision as she tripped over her sandal and fell again, this time, choosing to stay on the ground, minding her throbbing wrist.

Sesshomaru felt the worst he had ever felt in his whole life. She had been through a lot and all she was asking for was a place to stay… He was such a selfish person that he wouldn't even grant her a home when everyone else had pushed her away… And then he had injured her from his own anger. That was something that could not be forgiven and there she was, lying on the ground sobbing from anger, rejection and frustration… All because of something asinine he had done.

Sesshomaru got on his knees beside Kara, not knowing what else to do. He was so inexperienced with women that it wasn't even funny. He now knew how his brother felt whenever Kagome would be angry or Inuyasha had done something to hurt her or had said too many careless words. He hated the feeling of helplessness… and heartlessness… What would she do if their positions were switched? She'd take me in… Damn it all…

He reached out and scooped her into his arms, relieved that she was not fighting him back. She trembled and wheezed and wrapped her good arm around his neck, absorbing his warmth and the comfort his embrace was bringing her. "Kara…" he whispered, his nose going into her hair, the fragrance making him close his eyes.

"I'm so sorry… that I'm a burden…" she sniffled, her voice raspy from tears. Sesshomaru only hushed her and pulled her tighter.

"You can stay with Inuyasha and myself for as long as you need," he murmured in her ear, feeling slightly better when she calmed and drew back to look at him. Her face was awash with shock but she smiled lightly.

"Can I… kiss you… Sesshomaru?" she asked him, watching his eyebrow lifted sexily at her.

"You are having a crises yet you are asking me this?" He questioned her, his deep voice inducing seduction.

"But of course," she replied and sniffed, wiping her eyes before she leaned forward and kissed him fervently. She needed him right now, in her time of vulnerability and Sesshomaru didn't mind in the least for once in his life.

(A/N: The juicy and angsty/dramatic parts of the story are yet to come! YIPEE! Well… maybe not so yippee…)