InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pandora's Box ❯ Doubtful Mind ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Last Time:

"Thank you Inuyasha, I…" she whispered as she fell asleep her last words unintelligible to his ears.

 

~I don't believe I can describe the feelings I hold,

It's like the kind the story books told~

 

~So please believe these feelings are true,

When I whisper;

I love you ~

 

 

Doubtful Mind

 

She mentally checked through her check list. `Clothes, check. Cleaning, check. Calm, che- ok well that'll work out later… Now all I need to do is make it to Inuyasha's for a surprise visit. He HAS to have feelings for me. He can't look at me like that and say he doesn't.' she thought as she opened the door, revealing a delivery man with his hand ready about to knock.

 

"Kagome Higurashi?" he asked monotonously.

 

"Yes?"

 

"You have a package ma'am. Sign here," he stated as he handed her a clipboard and pointed to the dotted line, wait for her to sign for it, when she was done he handed her the package, "Have a nice day ma'am." He stated, tipping his hat and walking back to his truck.

 

She closed her door while looking at the package. Sango walked downstairs and stared at the package. "What's that? A huge teddy-bear from your secret lover?" she questioned playfully.

 

"No Sango, it's not from Inuyasha. Where are you going?" she asked changing the subject.

Sango blushed as she replied, "I'm going out on a date with Miroku. We are going to the movies."

 

"Hey Sango… Isn't he the one who is overly `amorous'?" Kagome asked curiously.

 

"Eh-hehe, well, yeah, but he's changed, so don't give me that look. Anyway I gotta go, he should be here soon." As if on cue a horn blared once in the driveway, notifying Sango it was time to get a move on.

 

"I'll see you later… Good luck with loverboy." Sango cheered as she quickly exited the house and got into the car with her boyfriend.

 

Kagome suddenly remembered her surprise visit with Inuyasha. As she turned she felt the extra weight in her hand and remembered the package. `Hmmm… I wonder who it's from…' she thought as she looked at the label and read it aloud.

 

"It's labeled `Kikyo's Box to Kagome'… Obviously it's from Kikyo, but what would she be sending me?" Kagome stared suspiciously at the package, shaking of the eerie feeling that the box suddenly reminded her of the Greek myth, "Pandora's Box", and the temptation of just throwing the it out. `What would Kikyo send me?' she wondered as she began to open the box carefully. What she saw made her gasp.

 

Inside was a bunch of pictures of Kikyo and Inuyasha kissing, cuddling, playing on the beach, and more. Once done looking through the picture she noticed a small note of the bottom of the box. Picking it up she read it aloud as well;

 

"Dearest Sister,

 

How are you? I hear you and Inuyasha are going out now. Don't feel too happy about it. He is still in love with me. You, I would assume, have seen the pictures, aren't they grand? You may think he loves you now, but ask your self one question my beloved twin…

 

Is it you he really sees? When he kisses you? When he looks deep into your eyes? Are you sure it's you?

Luv `n' Hugs'

Kikyo Higurashi"

 

Kagome looked again at the pictures, this time with tears in her eyes. It was true Kikyo and her looked remarkably alike, but they were twin sisters. Inuyasha would never hurt her… Would he? Could it be possible he saw Kikyo every time he kissed Kagome? She could feel the doubt gnaw at her, eating her alive… `NO!' she thought, `I will not doubt Inuyasha! That is what Kikyo wants, and for once, I am not going to sit by and let her win! I swear it!'

 

Kagome closed her front door heavily. Doubt still pressed at the outskirts of her mind, but she wasn't about to let it win. She wasn't about to let Kikyo win. She would go to Inuyasha's, tell him her feelings and he would- and he would tell her he felt the same damn it! She wasn't going to be swayed! `I will not lose the love of my life to my sister!' was the last thought that crossed her mind as she sped down the road to Inuyasha's apartment.

 

 

Inuyasha's Apartment: June 2004

 

Inuyasha turned around at the knock on his door. He had currently been planning a surprise for Kagome, but hid it upon the second knock. `I hope she likes it!' he thought as he took his time walking to the door. He was in no hurry since he and Kagome had the whole day to themselves.

 

As he unbolted the door his mouth-opened to form a greeting but instead just hung there, disobeying his command to close. There, standing on his doorstep was Kikyo, the elder of the two twins and co-incidentally the two loves of his life. She looked just as cold as he remembered and he couldn't help but think bitterly of the happy times they had shared. She had broken up with him and ended their relationship, so why was she here now? Why didn't he feel happier to see her?

 

Kikyo took his expression as shock, as opposed to the disbelief it was. She calmly invited herself in and sat on his coach as he turned to face her, this time expression schooled into one of aloofness. She smiled slightly and shook her head. He was always trying to be brave and stronger than he actually was. Oh, how she missed him. She had been a fool to let him go into the clutches of her twin, but she was here to rectify that problem.

 

"Inuyasha sweetheart, have a seat, I have some things I'd like to talk to you about!" Kikyo motioned to the loveseat next to her.

Inuyasha grimaced "I think I would prefer to stand."

 

"Very well." She replied, standing up and stepping towards him. She couldn't let him have the advantage of looking down at her. When she was well within personal space limits, she lifted her hand, put it on his chest, and purred seductively, "Now, what is this I hear about you dating my little sister? Is it true that you would actually pick that little heathen over me? Hmm, Inuyasha?"

 

Inuyasha calmly lifted her hand off his chest and placed it at her side. Seeing her disgruntled look he retorted, "Please refrain from touching me. It makes me nauseous. You seem to forget that you broke up with me. Not the other way around. You are in no position to make inquiries as to my relationships. Sister or no. I have moved on Kikyo and I would suggest that you do so as well, but I don't believe that was a problem to begin with." Inuyasha saw the look of anger flash in her eyes and smiled smugly. `Serves her right,' Inuyasha thought, `always giving the punishment and retribution, never on the receiving end. She must have made Kagome's life hell.'

 

"How dare you speak to me in such a way?! I was your lover! Your friend! Your confidante! And this is how you repay me? With your impudence!?" Kikyo all but screamed at him.

 

"Me? Repay you? You must be joking?! The only thing I need to repay you for in all the pain and suffering you have caused in Kagome's life and in my own! You waltz into my house like you own the place and then you throw accusations in my face when your little reunion didn't go as planned! Well that's just too damn bad, now ain't it?" Inuyasha replied angrily.

 

"You're supposed to love me! You have no-" Kikyo paused, momentarily distracted, as he thought he saw her look over his shoulder. Before he could contemplate what that could mean she had pulled her to him and kissed him…