InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reversed Roles ❯ Kagome's Set Free ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Reversed Roles

Chapter Five - Kagome's Set Free

By Crow Skywalker

----------

Disclaimer - I don't own Inuyasha, nor do I claim to. He belongs to the original creators, and I'm not getting paid anything from writing this fanfic.

Author's Notes - Sorry I'm so late with this…I tried to do a chapter every week, but I'm now a week behind. Was busy with school, and my grandmother was visiting…so I really didn't have the time. But here it is - the chapter you readers have been waiting for! Hard to believe I'm five chapters into the fic, and in reality, I'm still only on the very first episode…crazy, huh? Anyway, R&R, and most important, enjoy the fic!

Other Notes - Will be Kagome/Inuyasha, or course…but there will also be Kagome/Sesshomaru too, just like there's Kikyo/Inuyasha in the anime/manga ;) Rated PG-13 for swearing and violence.

Summary - Roles are switched, and Inuyasha releases the hanyou Kagome, who's been sealed to a tree for 50 years. When the Shikon no Tama is broken, they're forced to work together to find the shards before evil does. ----------

On top of her head, Kagome's ear twitched in annoyance. She had been about to be freed when the half centipede, half woman demon had come crashing into the clearing, bringing down trees, rocks and dirt as it headed straight for them.

"It seems that demon you mentioned earlier's found you," Kagome snorted, keeping an eye on the approaching figure.

Inuyasha clenched his teeth, eyes furrowed as he leapt off the tree root and onto the soft ground below. "Seems so."

At once, Kagome's attention turned to the boy wearing the strange clothes, eyes wide. "Hey! Where do you think you're going? You said you'd help me!"

The hissing demon was now close, it's body twirling around itself as it held it's human half up high, arms outstretched and claws sharp and ready to strike. "There's no escape!" It leered down at Inuyasha, who was now standing prepared for the next attack, "I shall have it!"

At this, Kagome's ears perked up, and she studied the funny looking human boy, suddenly wondering why he was being chased by this demon. What does he have that the demon wants so badly? She wondered.

Inuyasha backed away, hands up in defeat. "Hey, I already told you I don't know what you're talking about!"

"Lies!" It screeched, and Kagome flattened her ears to her head in pain.

"Just give whatever you have to the stupid demon!" She hissed down at Inuyasha.

Inuyasha growled, glaring up at the girl. "If I had it, I would, believe me!" He insisted, "But as it turns out, I don't have what it's looking for!"

The demon chose to lunge at this point, crashing to the ground and sending a shower of rocks in every direction. Inuyasha just barely had enough time to jump out of the way as several clawed hands swiped at him. Inuyasha fell to the ground not too far away.

"If you don't do something, it's going to kill you." Kagome pointed out from where she still hung pinned to the tree.

"And what am I supposed to do?" Inuyasha snapped loudly over the growls and hisses coming from the demon in front of him, "I have no weapons!"

Kagome smirked. "Well, I do have a sword here that could come in handy IF YOU EVER LET ME DOWN FROM THIS TREE!" She yelled the last part, showing her annoyance.

The demon was after him again now, and Inuyasha ran as it came for him. However the demon swung it's body again, trapping him before it pulled tight, and he soon found himself pinned up against Kagome, the demon pulling tighter and crushing him to her.

"Hey!" Kagome growled, "Get off me!"

Inuyasha growled, trying to pry himself away from the girl with no avail. The demon was much too strong, and he was trapped.

"You think I want to be anywhere near you, bitch?" He growled himself, struggling against the centipede's firm grip around them and the tree. "I just want to make it through this alive and go home!"

Kagome's scowl suddenly faded and she began to giggle. "Hey! Stop it! GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME! THAT TICKLES!"

Inuyasha stopped his struggling, giving the girl a funny look. "I'm about to be killed, and here you are complaining that I'm tickling you?"

She stopped her laughter, her scowl returning. "Well maybe if you used your head and pulled out this sword here," Her gaze flickered to the long silver sword sticking out of her stomach, "You could use it to kill the demon and you can happily prance on home."

Inuyasha looked down at the sword, feeling his body being crushed. If he could get his hands free, then maybe -

"Inuyasha! Don't even think about it!" Called a voice, and Inuyasha tried to turn his head to see who was talking. Managing to turn his head to the side, he could barely see the old man he'd met at the village.

"Oi, old man! Better get out of here before you get crushed too!" He shouted back.

"Don't touch that sword!" The old man replied, ignoring Inuyasha's words. There was a glint of light, and Inuyasha saw that he had an arrow aimed at the demon. "I don't know why you're awake Kagome, but I'll deal with you after I kill this demon!"

Kagome snorted. "Great, I'm going to be killed by grandpa over there after all this is over…at least that's something to look forward to," She rolled her eyes.

The demon, who had swung around to face the old man and his group of villagers, now turned his attention back to Inuyasha. The village elder closed one eye, aiming carefully before he let go, sending the arrow straight for the demon. Inuyasha watched as it hit it just below the human half, just barely piercing the skin. The demon reared back with a hiss of pain, clearly angered, and its tight grip loosened somewhat.

"You know," Kagome commented quietly, "Now would be a good time to pull that sword out and set me free. I could slice that thing up before you could even blink!" She boasted, trying desperately to get free now. She had to, otherwise she'd suffer a cruel death by the old man later on, and she didn't want to wait around for that.

"But the village elder.." Inuyasha started to argue, looking back at Kagome. They were eye to eye now, her pretty face just centimeters before his own, and her big brown eyes looking into his pleadingly. "Fine," He gave in, hauling his arms free from where they were confined, glad that the demon had turned its attention elsewhere for the moment.

It was a normal sword, although slightly rusty it was long and thin, with a dark handle. With one hand he reached out, griping it firmly, before he gave one small tug. It came out instantly, as if it weren't even pierced into anything, and lifting it, he found it to be as light as a feather. He silently wondered how such a thing could keep the strange girl pinned to the tree for so long.

"You will pay for that!" The demon was hissing at the village elder, "But not before.." It swung back in Inuyasha's direction, "I kill you and take the Sh -" Whatever it was about to say was cut off as a blast of energy passed through the clearing, and all eyes turned to Kagome, who's hair had fallen over her face.

Inuyasha peered at her in confusion, still holding on to the sword. "Are you okay?" He asked quietly, wondering what the hell had just happened.

"Okay?" Came her small voice, and there was a sound that sounded quite like giggling, before her head shot up, her red eyes glowing and her giggles turning into laughter. "I feel better than I've ever felt in my whole life!"

"Inuyasha! You didn't!" Came the old man's furious voice, that held an undertone of fear.

"Oh yes he did!" Kagome continued to laugh, "I'M FREE!" She yelled, declaring it to the world as she clenched her hands tightly at her sides, feeling her sharp claws before she yanked them forward, digging them into the belly of the centipede. The centipede let go of them, pulling away in pain, and both Inuyasha and Kagome fell to the ground, her on her feet and him painfully to his knees.

"Idiot!" Inuyasha saw the old man glaring at him and snarling, "She'll destroy us all!"

He snapped his attention back to the girl, getting a good glimpse of her. Before, when she'd been pinned to the tree, she'd been covered in roots and moss. Now all that was gone, and she looked just like any other normal girl with long black hair, big brown eyes…the only thing that gave her away were the matching black ears on top of her head, her long cat-like claws and maybe the fangs that showed when she opened her mouth. All in all, she didn't look that scary - so why were the village people looking on in fear? Why was everyone so worried?

Facing the demon, Kagome bared her fangs. "I'm going to rip you to shreds!" She hissed, before jumping, claws outstretched.

It was the demon's turn to be on defense, as it dodged out of the way. "Silly hanyou!" It laughed, a cold sound that sent shivers down the villager's spines, "Once I get the Shikon no Tama, I will be invincible!"

The Shikon no Tama…Kagome suddenly stopped, all menace leaving her eyes. Was that what the demon was after? She peered over her shoulder at Inuyasha, is he the one carrying it? Breathing in the night air and tuning her senses to the boy, she sensed something very familiar.

"What are you looking at?" Inuyasha snapped, using the sword he still held to stand up, "Stop gawking and kill that thing!"

Kagome scowled, looking back at the demon. A human telling me what to do? As if! She suddenly crossed her arms, a bored look crossing her face as she looked away.

"Hey!" Inuyasha stumbled forward, "What do you think you're doing??" He yelled at her, "Kill it!"

"I don't take orders from humans!" She called back.

Inuyasha stopped, a stunned look on his face, before it melted into a very angry look. "I freed you from the stupid tree! The least you could do is kill this thing!"

"And if I don't want to?" She answered stubbornly.

Inuyasha growled in frustration, glancing down at the sword. If she wouldn't kill it, then perhaps he could at least fend it off with the old rusty sword?

Another arrow flew through the air, digging into the demon's shoulder. It turned to the cowering villagers. "You!" It ripped the arrow from its shoulder, the blood running down its naked chest. It lifted one of its many arms, its claws aimed at the village elder.

"Hey you!" Inuyasha called to it, seeing that it was about to attack the villagers. When it turned to him, he frowned, "Your fight is with me! If you want it," He opened his arms invitingly, "Then come get it!"

The demon seemed to go for it, and he raised the flimsy sword as it came racing at him. From where she stood, Kagome raised a brow.

I must admit, the guy's got guts. She then smirked, but he'll never win with that sword. Only Sesshomaru can use it the way it's supposed to be used.

And she was right, as the demon came down upon him, Inuyasha held out the sword, slicing into the monster as he dodged out of its way. It barely made a dent in the beast's hide, and as it hit one of the many hard legs, he caught and he let go as it bounced off of it and flipped into the air, landing halfway across the clearing. It landed far out of reach, its rusty blade dug into the ground.

Inuyasha stared down at his empty hands in disbelief. Uh oh…There was a flash as the demon's claws hand raked across him, and looking down in horror, he saw that his shirt had been ripped apart and was slowly turning red with blood. Damn…

"Inuyasha!" He heard the old man cry out as the demon swiped at him again, and this time its claws dug deep into him, lifting him off the ground. There was a glowing purple-pink light, and Inuyasha wondered if this was it - this was the end of him.

-----

Kagome watched, shifting uneasily on both feet as she watched the demon attack the human boy. As much as she was angry at being ordered around by a weak human, she felt guilty for not helping him.

Dropping her arms to her side, she sighed. Why am I standing here, watching the demon slowly kill him? He did help me down from the tree…She looked up in time to see him get slashed across the chest, and she could easily smell the blood. She was about to step forward to help but her pride stopped her.

From where she stood, she could hear the old man call out to the boy, and she winced as the monster struck the human once again. However, something strange happened this time. As the claws dug into him, a glowing, and somewhat bloody, jewel fell to the ground below him. Kagome blinked, staring at it, and instantly recognizing it.

The Shikon no Tama! Kagome took that step forward now, claws raised and ready to attack. She would get that jewel no matter what!

-----

"It was inside him the whole time.." The village elder whispered in awe from where he stood, staring across the distance at the small glowing jewel. His eyes instantly flickered up to Inuyasha, who's eyes were now closed in pain as the demon held him in a death grip with all six arms.

Memories suddenly came flooding back to the old man, and he closed his eyes as he let them take over. Memories of his long deceased brother Sesshomaru.

-

The young boy's eyes opened wide upon seeing his older brother stumbling blindly into the village, his left arm wrapped around him and holding his chest and stomach tightly. He was about to run to him when he hesitated, studying his brother more closely.

Sesshomaru looked tired, his eyes half closed, and he could barely walk. Each step looked painful to him, as every time he lifted his foot he seemed to clench his jaws together tightly in pain. The younger brother suspected that the tiredness was due to the fact that Sesshomaru, upon having heard the hanyou Kagome had stolen the jewel from the village, had run off in search of the girl. But why was Sesshomaru holding his stomach and chest like that, and where was Tetsusaiga, his big brother's sword? Sesshomaru never left that sword anywhere - it was what he used to protect the village! It held great power that only his brother could wield - so why was Sesshomaru returning empty handed?

The smell of blood finally hit the younger brother and he ran forward, catching Sesshomaru as his legs finally gave out for the very last time and he fell to the ground.

"Sesshomaru!" The young boy cried, holding onto his brother tightly. He could see the blood now - it was seeping through Sesshomaru's normally white clothes. "Come! You must hurry to the village healer!"

By now the villagers had started to crowd around, looking over the scene as it played out. Sesshomaru shook his head, ignoring them all.

"It is too late for me." He told the young boy, and winced as another flash of pain went through him.

"Sesshomaru!" Tears came to the younger brother's eyes.

"I have sealed the hanyou to the God tree," he said in a low voice, "She will bother this village no more." The was a moment of silence as he coughed, blood turning his pale lips red, "Brother," He laid and frail hand on the boy's shoulder, "When I die, burn the jewel with my body. I will take it with me in death, and then I shall have it to watch over in my next life." Tears now flowing freely down his face, the boy shook his head, "Don't talk like that! You're not going to die!" He insisted, "I won't let you!"

Sesshomaru's hand dropped from his shoulder and his breaths became slower and fewer. "Please, do as I say."

The young boy held on to his brother until the very last breath, and even when Sesshomaru was finally dead, he sat there silently crying, hugging him close tightly. It was the villagers that had finally pried him away, and the burning ceremony took place only hours afterwards. Carrying out his brother's final wish, the boy burned the jewel along with the body, silently watching as the flames engulfed it.

-

The old man snapped out of the memories, his eyes still on Inuyasha. It is true then…my brother said he would take the jewel into his next life, and this only proves it…

He truly is the reincarnation of my brother Sesshomaru.

To Be Continued…