InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Same Thing, Different Time ❯ Baka! Baka! Baka! ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own any part of InuYasha, and am still not seeking to gain anything in means of profit, rights, or anything else from creating this.

Hope that I can continue to write something you find worth taking your time to read. I would really appreciate reviews.

===============================================

Same Thing, Different Time

by: aishiteru_inu

Part 3: Baka! Baka! Baka!

"Freeze! Get your hands up!"

Startled, she twisted around, opened mouth and found a handful of police officers standing there, guns out, and held in readiness to fire.

Vaguely she heard one of them order, "Move out of the way, Miss" but before she could react herself, she felt her arm being taken hold of and pulled away until she was safely behind them. She quickly looked over at the dog eared guy with the silvery-white hair and saw that he had done exactly what they had said to do -- his arms were out to the side, elbows bent, hands up in the air, and palms facing forward.

"Get on the ground now!"

A low menacing growl vibrated in his throat, as debated what to do. Certainly, he could easily escape if he wanted to, but he decided to follow through with what he was ordered to do. For one thing, it was a damn pain in the ass eluding these jerks because they were everywhere, and he didn't feel like nursing any wounds he'd get from those toys they used as weapons. And for another, he caught whiff of a familiar scent.

Resigningly -- (I don't think this is a real word, but it felt like it fit in the story better like this), -- he knelt, then laid prone on the ground.

The girl watched as he positioned himself. He looked to have known the posture by experience as he situated himself spread eagle a bit.

She continued to watch, a bit rounded eyed, as two of the officers rushed toward him, and were none too gentle as they captured his arms and twisted them behind his back. She heard him grunt in discomfort as they did so and then slip some kind of plastic looking strand around his thumbs entrapping them together. And without any gentleness, they hefted him up by the back of the hair and by the shoulder, until he was up on his knees.

"InuYasha," a woman's voice rolled his name out from her mouth. "Should have known it'd be you."

"Feh!" the captured guy growled. "You're always trying to bust my balls, you old crone! Don't you think it's time you retired? You should at least get a vacation in before you croak. Or does making my life miserable keep you from keeling over?"

The stout woman started to move toward him, taking only a couple of steps past the girl, then stopped. A heavy sigh was upon her breath. "You are a troublesome pup." she said as if to herself, then added, addressing the officers around InuYasha, "Take him down to the precinct, and put him in a holding cell by himself. Don't forget the seals."

"What?! But I didn't do anything…!" '…yet' he added that last part only in his head, as he started to struggle to break the tie which bound him. It earned him a cuff across the ear.

He winced, dropping down slightly, but erected him quickly and barred his teeth at the officer that struck him.

"You can either spend the night there or I can have your brother called. The choice is yours."

His lips tighten, pressed against each other as if to keep from saying anything more that he would regret. His face scrunched up in frustrated anger as he heatedly eyed the older woman.

Finally he gave up the silent debate and mumbled with a rebellious pout, "I'll stay."

The older woman nodded, but the look on her face was one of regretful agreement. She turned away from him and moved back toward the direction she had come.

"Are you alright, girl? Did he not harm you any?"

The girl actually had to look down at bit, when the woman stopped in front of her and asked.

"Yes," she started. "I - I mean no. I mean…"

"Baka! Make up your stupid mind!" the guy half snarled as they led him past her.

Chocolate eyes turned and locked momentarily on the gleaming gold ones. 'Who are you? Why does it feel like…?" But the moment was fleeting and it was she that broke their gaze.

"I mean, yes," she returned her sight back to the police lady. "I'm alright. A little scuffed up from tripping and being knocked down, but I'm alright, and no he didn't hurt me." And then silently to herself, 'At least it didn't come to the moment where I found out if he would have.'

"How… did you… know to come?"

"Someone made a call made about a young woman being pursued by some hoodlum punk around this location. We came to check out the call, and spotted the activity going on as we pulled over back there." The young girl's gaze followed the slight turn of the police lady, indicating the vehicles were just over the slight inclining embankment, the same direction that they were leading the guy named InuYasha. Leading him? Actually they were having a bit of trouble leading him anywhere as he 'dragged his heels' so to speak as he walked, slowing their progress.

"Oh," she murmured quietly.

"You want to tell me what happened?"

"Umm… well…" Why was she finding it difficult to tell her? Why did she feel this strong need to protect this strange looking puppy eared guy, when he had so obviously tried to chase he down too? He was deserving of getting exactly what he was by scaring her like that anyway.

"Ummm… That guy there was the one that been chasing me." she started again, pointing toward the figure several yards away, which was still laying on the ground. One of the other officer's was there checking him out. "He's the one that attacked me and stole my necklace. And that one…" turning her finger to the one they were taking away, "he.. he saved me from him…" she added the words 'kind of' in a lower voice. "There was a bit of a fight between the two, but I managed to get my necklace back."

Baka! Baka! Baka! What was she doing? Dog-boy over there had been chasing her down just as well. He wanted the same thing as this other creep, but why she was hesitant to let him suffer the consequences she didn't really know. There was just something…

The old woman stared at her. The girl felt a bit conscious of hiding that fact and dropped her eyes from the woman, then she opened her hand to show her the recovered piece of jewelry with an awkward smile on her face.

She nervously watched as the woman cocked an eyebrow upon seeing the item in the girl's hand, then her gaze went up to the hanyou that was still being reluctant to being escorted over the incline to one of the vehicle that sat in waiting just on the other side. The woman made a guttural sound of only one note and the retreating officers stopped, glancing back at her. Even the one the was bound and being taken away did the same.

"Come with me." she said and took the girl by the lower arm as she led her toward them.

"Is it true?" the women finally asked once there was only several feet separating them, starring into the golden eyes of the hanyou prisoner.

"Is what true, you withered old witch?"

"InuYasha, if you think I'm going to tolerate any more of your foul mouth, you've got another think coming." she reprimanded. "Right now you have a reprieve, and if I was you I'd think twice about what you want to do with it."

He had something on the tip of his tongue to say, but he clamped his mouth shut. Still, it didn't stop the subtle growl vibrating in the back of his throat.

"Is it true as to what she said?"

This time those sparkling golden eyes turned on the girl standing there, and a deeper, more serious light crossed his expression. "I don't know what she said," which for the moment was true since his ears were still ringing from the whack he received against them earlier. "but I didn't do anything to her." '…yet,' his mind, again, added silently. "That guy over there jumped on her and took the damn necklace…. She's lying if she said I touched her!"

The old woman glance once again to the girl who couldn't seem to take her eyes off of InuYasha.

"You sure?" Her words rang in the girl's ears as if she was asking her if this was the story she wanted to stay with.

The girl found herself nodding slowly.

"He is telling the truth?"

Tearing her gaze away from him, she glanced shyly at the woman once again. "Uh-huh. Yes. Just like I said."

InuYasha stood there, his eyes reflecting the disbelief he felt as he continued to stared at the girl.

There was a moment of silence.

"Take the bind off of him," the order was made.

The girl couldn't help the small smile that etched her mouth when she glance back and saw the dumbfounded expression on his face as he stared at her.

Oblivious to her own self, she didn't know that the smile reached her eyes as they seemed to soften from the previous scare she had just experience. Color was now returning back to her cheeks as the heat of a blush swept across them, and not being able to hold her gaze to his any longer, she veiled her eyes with her thick lashes as she glance down as if studying his shoes.

It was all really just a few moments before the binding was taken off, having to be cut away to free him. He brought his arms back around to the front of him to rub the thumbs that had been captured.

"Think yourself blessed, InuYasha," he heard the woman say and all he returned in reply was, "Yeah, yeah." Blowing her off with an indifferent wave of his hand.

The older police woman and the two younger people stood where they were as the other police took into custody the other guy who was just groggily waking up. His hands were tied behind his back in a like fashion that previous prisoner's had been.

InuYasha gaze went back to the girl briefly that stood a few feet away from him. She tried to look as if nothing was the matter, but he could easily pick up the uncomfortable nervous scent of her. She didn't look at him at all, not even a curious glance. In fact he was sure that she deliberately keeping herself from doing so.

The dark haired man eyed the three as it was now he that was escorted toward the vehicles which were just beyond them.

"Don't think this is the end of it," he threw at them as he went by, trying to keep them in his sight by looking over his shoulder even after he was past them and being placed into one of the cars.

InuYasha didn't miss the sudden fear that gripped her either, even though she still did not show an outward change.

As if to distract from the moment at hand, the police woman said in a tone that was not like that of the stern officer minutes ago. "I see that you still have those beads, InuYasha." And she reached out a slightly withered hand to lightly touch them.

His eye rolled upward in a silent fashion of saying stupid, then gurgled a "Feh" before slightly twisting to rid himself of her touch. A faint smile etched upon her lips anyway and she retreated, casting a fleeting glance at the girl that stood nearby.

"Consider this, InuYasha," she said as she began to walked away. "you've been given another chance."

The two continued to stand where they were. They watched as the people packed themselves into the vehicles and within a short time left, leaving them very much alone.

InuYasha absently kicked at the dirt with the toe of his shoe, having shoved his hands into the front pockets of his jeans. There was a uncomfortable silence between them, but finally he was the one to break it.

"Don't worry about it. He shouldn't be getting out for at least a day or two."

Unable to speak herself, she just nodded.

"And thanks," he continued. "That old crone really has it for me. She's always finds a way to put me on a short leash."

The girl looked up at him, an embarrassed smile adorned her mouth, which radiated over her entire face. She couldn't help the oddity of the uses of the words spoken within the recent events. Pup? Leash? And a guy with dog ears at the top of his head? And to beat all, her hands wanted so badly to reach out and tweak them between her fingers to see if they were indeed real. She had to look away lest he read her thoughts.

'And why wouldn't they be?' She chimed to herself. 'Why else would a guy have something like those on his head if they weren't real?'

'Who is this girl? She looks so similar, but her scent… it's different.'

"What's you're name?" he finally asked.

Her gaze went to meet his, and she said, "K-Kagome. Kagome Higurashi."

"Kagome." he repeated softly, and she glanced down away from his gaze with that same embarrassed looking expression on her face.

"Well, Kagome," he announced in a much firmer tone, which brought her head up in a snap. "You gonna give me that necklace, or are we going to start where we left off!"

================= End of Part 3 ====================

Yes, I know. Eyes up, eyes down, eyes up, eyes down. Kind of like wax on, wax off from a well known movie. But I hope it read well enough to get the conflict of emotions and behavior across and not read too lame.

I know he's flip flopping between good and being bad, but then again he wasn't pinned to a tree when she met him either.