InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets Beneath the Surface ❯ On My Mind ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Yadda, yadda, yadda…you all know I don't own him, so why even read this…
 
Secrets Beneath the Surface
 
Title
 
Sesshoumaru sat in his office, and, to the untrained eye, appeared to have his mind focused on the computer screen before him, one hand secured around the mouse, clicking away, while the other rested calmly on the keyboard, but to those that knew the Taiyoukai of the past on a more personal note, knew there was something on his mind. The way his eyes stared unmoving at the screen was one way to show the demon's preoccupied state, and the miniscule twitch of his index finger on the hand that clutched the mouse was yet another sign.
Sesshoumaru's muscles tensed as he heard the tapping of foot prints and the scent of his wife coming towards his office. “What do you need, Kagura; as you can see, I'm busy at the moment.” He said in his deep baritone voice that reeked of authority, never taking his honeyed orbs off of the screen displayed before him.
“I have simply come to inform you that dinner will be ready shortly, dear.” The last word was emphasized, and Sesshoumaru swore that if he hadn't been prepared for such words of endearment, he would have flinched. The look she was giving him at the current moment, that hungry crimson gaze, was enough to make him skip his meal, but he thought better of it.
“Tell Rin to bring my dinner up to me. I have too much work to complete to sit around a table tonight and listen to you blabber on about your day.” He watched with contentment as Kagura's needy gaze sharpened into a heated glare before she slammed the door to the study shut, sending a flurry of papers from his desk. Sesshoumaru sat back in his leather office chair, his mind wondering just why he had allowed something as fake as his marriage take place. He wanted to blame it all on his impeccable honor, but it was all the fault of his own.
 
FLASHBACK
 
Sesshoumaru glanced in the mirror, fixing the collar of his blue polo shirt. Tonight was special in its own right. All the lies he told himself, the numerous times he locked himself in his office on the pretense of work, would now come to an end. A wretched relationship would end, and another would be roused from the past; all would be as it should have been ages ago.
Sesshoumaru took a look at the glimmering ring inside the small, black jewelry box before snapping the box shut with a snap and sticking it in his pocket. With the knowledge that he had the most important object for the night, he gathered his coat, wallet, and keys before strolling out the door of the empty apartment.
By the time his sleek, black Mustang made its way to the parking lot of the prestige restaurant and found a space to park, his timing, as always, was right on the dot. He was led to a table that showed an overhead view of the city, the decorations that adorned the windows edging gave the impression that it was a picture, the ornately carved gold surrounding it, a frame.
Sesshoumaru snorted as he glanced at his watch; Kagura was late…again. No sooner were these thoughts formed that the woman arrived…severely underdressed. She wore a slink black dress-strapless- that plunged extremely low in a V-cut neckline. “I'm sorry I'm late, Sesshou, but I had pressing matters to attend to. Sesshou-“ Sesshoumaru pinned her with his eyes, wordlessly demanding her to continue with what she had to say, as well as tensing up at the nickname.
“Sesshou, I'm pregnant.”
 
FLASHBACK END
 
Sesshoumaru still holstered the regret he had for what he had done that night. His plans for that night had begun simple, controlled. He was to meet Kagura at the restaurant—that part went smoothly—but then he had planned to break up with her. The woman was a whore. There was no denying this fact. She dressed, talked, walked…hell, she screamed whore! Sesshoumaru wanted nothing more than to ban her from his life completely, but those three unexpected words, three words that comprised a simple sentence that could not have been more complex, made him do something he still regretted more than anything else.
 
FLASHBACK
 
After the initial shock, and a moment to reflect upon the situation in his mind, Sesshoumaru made a decision based on the honor his father had ingrained into his every step and breath. With one fluid moment, the Taiyoukai gathered the box from his pocket, and a moment that should have been filled with happiness was filled with dread.
“Kagura, will you marry me?” There was no romantic music playing, nor did Sesshoumaru propose on one knee. The box was slid across the table in a motion almost mimicking disgust.
Sesshoumaru ignored the twittering screams of excitement as well as the kiss Kagura pressed to his lips as she tried on the ring. “Why Sesshou, it's the wrong size…Oh well, we'll just have to take it to the jeweler. Just so you know…I wear a size 6, not a five.” Kagura said snidely as she took back to her chair.
Sesshoumaru cleared his throat, “I know.” He said, but his words were ignored as Kagura scanned the menu, her mind lost to the cool feel of the platinum on her finger.
 
FLASHBACK END
 
Sesshoumaru bit back a sigh. Yes, he had known because nothing he had planned had turned out right that night because if it had…he would be wed to Kagome instead, but no, the night's events just got worse.
 
FLASHBACK
 
Kagome entered the building, her black satchel purse clutched in her right hand as she waited to be acknowledged. Her mind wandered. `I wonder what Sesshoumaru thought was so important.' She thought as her eyes meandered around the expensive restaurant she found herself to be in.
An employee of the restaurant cleared his throat to gain her attention. “Miss, are you waiting for someone in particular?”
Kagome smiled with a light nod, “Yes, I'm supposed to be dining with a Sesshoumaru Taisho?” she inquired as the man looked over the list of the nights reservations. Finding the name he was after he gave the woman a slight smile. Right this way ma'am.” He said with a wave of his hand as he led her deeper into the restaurant.
A smile itched at the corners of Kagome's mouth as she caught sight of the handsome man she knew she loved. She wanted to tell him of the pregnancy so much, but knew he was in a relationship. Noticing the table to be empty other than for Sesshoumaru, Kagome's heart leapt at the implication. Had they broken up? Did he want her back?
She slipped into the empty seat and smiled lovingly at the man before her. ”Hello, Sesshoumaru, you look great tonight.” Kagome said.
Sesshoumaru looked up at Kagome, his eyes showing her how sorry he was. “Kagome, there's something…”
“Kagome! My, it's been a while since we've seen each other!” Kagura's high pitched tone ate through Sesshoumaru's mind, and he was able to get a glimpse of the confusion etched on Kagome's face before she snatched up her purse and got to her feet, her face a bright red.
“Sesshoumaru must of invited you to tell you the good news!” Kagura ventured, a malicious gleam evident in her red eyes and smugness ringing clear in her voice.
Kagome's head shot up, and she stared the demon as if she had two heads, her voice escaped barely above a whisper, “What good news?” she asked slowly.
It was as if the next few seconds were unwilling to pass as Sesshoumaru bid himself to answer. “Kagura and I are getting married.” He said, excluding any excitement or enthusiasm as the announcement.
He watched in horror as pain flashed through Kagome's eyes, which were as wide as they could go. As if in a trance, she turned around, her face void of emotion. “Congratulations to the both of you; please excuse me, I've got to go.” she said as she took each step slowly as if unsure of her own footing.
 
FLASHBACK END
 
Oh, how it hurt to see the love of his life stroll out of his life like that. After that fateful announcement that fateful night, Kagome had always seemed so distant. After playing her role in the wedding, the smile only he saw past always present on her face, he watched longingly as she left.
He stared down at the mess of congealed food amassed on his plate, long gone cold as he reminisced. Sesshoumaru pushed the plate so it sat on the very top left corner of the desk and glanced at the clock. Clambering slowly to his feet he made for the door. It was time to tuck Rin in for the night.
 
***************************************************************** *****
 
Kagome blinked the sleep from her eyes, surprised at the fact that she had even been able to sleep at all. Nausea settled in her stomach as she sat up, and as her sight cleared she realized that the item thrown over her while she slept was not a blanket as she had originally thought, but someone's coat.
Her drowsy mind reeling, she came to the only possible conclusion and turned to the person beside her. He was tall, though not as tall as Sesshoumaru, and his long, feminine black curls hung halfway down his back in tangled knots, but none of this gained her attention like his eyes. The man's eyes were a bright red that rivaled Kagura's in color. Kagome gulped, suddenly uncomfortable with his stare. She felt herself flinch as the man offered his hand and smiled. “Hi, I'm Naraku.”
 
 
Author's Note: Yay! I love this chapter! I decided that I liked revealing the story through flashbacks like this one…little by little. I'm actually thinking of doing the same for other characters such as Kagura…and in the far future Naraku! Please let me know what you think about the story and I love any ideas. I still have a lot of secrets up my sleeve, so, until next time!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, but then again, there are a lot of things I don't own that I wish I had…::sigh:: now that I'm depressed…on with the story
 
 
Secrets Beneath the Surface
 
Title
 
It only took Sesshoumaru mere seconds to reach his daughter's room that lay across from his own. He graced Rin, who sat with her chubby little legs crossed on her bed, hair wet and clad in a pair of flannel, bright pink pajamas, with the ghost of a grin, not surprised in the least when she smiled full force, right back. He took his place, as he did every night, at the foot of the bed and motioned for the child to slip under the covers. After she did so, he pulled the blanket up to her neck and tucked it around her body to keep her warm before handing her the stuffed pig, Qubert, she was so fond of. Leaning down, he gave Rin a small peck to the cheek before wishing her good night and heading towards the door.
This was how it had always been, but tonight was to be different. “Daddy?” the child piped up as Sesshoumaru's hand grasped the thick wood of the door, intent on swinging it closed to nothing more than a crack in his wake. Sesshoumaru turned around slowly, his eyes, normally so cold and calculating, seemed warm and welcoming to the child before him. His silent stare was a motion for her to continue on with the question he knew was to come.
“Daddy,” the child sat up and clasped Qubert closer to her chest. “Miss H. kind of smelt like you today in class, but I asked her why and I could smell she was lying. She seemed so sad at the question though, that I wanted to ask you, Daddy.” The child looked up at her father as an expectant silence encroached the room.
The words that fell from Sesshoumaru's mouth next were slow and deliberate, words that he wanted Rin to understand as it was the utmost importance that she do so. “Rin, tell me, what was the scent like?”
Rin shifted on the bedspread and crossed her legs in thought. “Well, Miss H. said you came and talked to her, but it was a different smell…It wasn't her clothes that smelled like you…it was her. “ she answered the best she could, her facial features softened and she whimpered.
Taken aback by such a drastic change in such a short amount of time, in three easy strides, Sesshoumaru found himself beside his daughter, rubbing her back in circular motions of comfort and running his fingers through her crow-black hair. “Rin, what's wrong?” he asked as Rin settled back against the pillows. “Daddy, I think it's my fault Miss H. left.”
Sesshoumaru felt his heart stop in fear momentarily only to start back up faster than ever.