InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets Beneath the Surface ❯ Suspicions ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha, but then again, there are a lot of things I don’t own that I wish I had…::sigh:: now that I’m depressed…on with the story



Secrets Beneath the Surface


Suspicions


It only took Sesshoumaru mere seconds to reach his daughter’s room that lay across from his own. He graced Rin, who sat with her chubby little legs crossed on her bed, hair wet and clad in a pair of flannel, bright pink pajamas, with the ghost of a grin, not surprised in the least when she smiled full force, right back. He took his place, as he did every night, at the foot of the bed and motioned for the child to slip under the covers. After she did so, he pulled the blanket up to her neck and tucked it around her body to keep her warm before handing her the stuffed pig, Qubert, she was so fond of. Leaning down, he gave Rin a small peck to the cheek before wishing her good night and heading towards the door.

This was how it had always been, but tonight was to be different. “Daddy?” the child piped up as Sesshoumaru’s hand grasped the thick wood of the door, intent on swinging it closed to nothing more than a crack in his wake. Sesshoumaru turned around slowly, his eyes, normally so cold and calculating, seemed warm and welcoming to the child before him. His silent stare was a motion for her to continue on with the question he knew was to come.

“Daddy,” the child sat up and clasped Qubert closer to her chest. “Miss H. kind of smelt like you today in class, but I asked her why, and I could smell she was lying. She seemed so sad at the question though that I wanted to ask you, Daddy.” The child looked up at her father as an expectant silence encroached the room.

The words that fell from Sesshoumaru’s mouth next were slow and deliberate, words that he wanted Rin to understand as it was the utmost importance that she do so. “Rin, tell me, what was the scent like?”

Rin shifted on the bedspread and crossed her legs in thought. “Well, Miss H. said you came and talked to her, but it was a different smell…It wasn’t her clothes that smelled like you…it was her. You know, kind of like it was coming off her. “ she answered the best she could, her facial features softened, and she whimpered.

Taken aback by such a drastic change in such a short amount of time, in three easy strides, Sesshoumaru found himself beside his daughter, rubbing her back in circular motions of comfort and running his fingers through her crow-black hair. “Rin, what’s wrong?” he asked as Rin settled back against the pillows. “Daddy, I think it’s my fault Miss H. left.”

Sesshoumaru felt his heart stop in fear momentarily only to start back up faster than ever. “Rin, what do you mean ‘left’?” Sesshoumaru probed, still coming across as calm and uncaring even as his heart thrummed with worry for his true love.

Rin sniffled as she bowed her head in shame. “Not long after I talked to her, she left. Mr. Houshi said we would have a new teacher by Friday. He wouldn’t tell us why Miss H. was or why she left. Daddy, did I make her leave?” Rin cried as she cuddled close to her father as he stared off at the wall.

Sesshoumaru smiled, even though at the moment he wanted to throw up. The implications of what could have happened…he had to call Kagome NOW. Turning his attention briefly back to the distressed child awaiting his answer, Sesshoumaru shook his head as he settled Rin back under the now rumpled covers. “No Rin, it had nothing to do with you. Now, why don’t you get some sleep? You need your rest for school tomorrow.” Gracing the yawning child with another kiss on her forehead, he silently left the room, leaving the door open slightly more than just a crack.

He flipped open his cell phone and entered his study, locking the door behind him in the hopes that Kagura would get the hint that he didn’t wish to be bothered at the moment. Punching in the numbers he had memorized, he sent the call. Pacing the length of the maroon carpeted room, he listened as the ringing tone of Kagome’s phone sounded in his ears and he waited…hoping against all hopes that she would answer…hoping against all hopes that he wasn’t too late…


*************************************************** *

Kagome sauntered into the airport, her handbag clutched lazily in her grasp, tired, but oddly content. She glanced around the busy station, certain Souta had promised to send someone to pick her up.

Suddenly, above most of the heads that composed of the midday crowd, having flown through the night, a neon pink and purple sign appeared, spelling, in a scawled out, almost illegible penmanship, her name.

Kagome made her way cautiously over to it, picking her way through the throng of people, getting only menial sightings of her brother’s friend as she slowly approached him. He looked to be slightly older than Souta, maybe about her own age. His mop of brown hair was whisked into a high ponytail centered in the back of his head. He wore a pair of light beige khaki cargo pants that completely covered his shoes, and a dark blue polo shirt.

Kagome gave a shy wave in his direction to gain his attention as he was surveying the crowd for her. As their eyes met, he smiled, exposing a white fang in the process. When he knew she was close enough to hear over the noise of the airport, he shoved his hands in his pockets and spoke. “Hi, you must be Kagome. My name’s Kouga, Souta asked me to pick you up for him. He had a test to study for; I hope you don’t mind.”

Kagome shook her head with a slight smile of her own as they made their way to pick up Kagome’s luggage.


****************************************************** ***

In a dark, empty apartment, void of any sentimental items, a cell phone, alone on an empty table, rang. No one rushed to answer it. No one paid any attention to it. After several unanswered calls, the apartment went silent, and the light of the phone dulled to nothing once more…


Author’s Note: Hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I know it’s kind of short, but with school starting on Monday, I wanted to get something accomplished. I introduced yet another character in the story…Kouga. I’m not sure of his role in this story as of yet though. Sesshoumaru now knows something is up with Kagome…and Kagome reached the U.S. I hope some of you plan to enter the contest for this story. If you have any questions concerning the contest, please let me know… If not, please review… Oh, and I do have an update list for all of my stories, so if you let me know, I can add you to them. Kudos to Aly for betaing this for me!!