InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets Beneath the Surface ❯ Tonight I Cry ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Co., which belongs to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
Secrets Beneath the Surface
Tonight I Cry
 
Kagome watched, enthralled by all the activity around her, as they drove down the street. Intermittently, she could feel Kouga's stare as he drove, but neither had taken the initiative to actually say anything to one another. Figuring if he was to be living with her brother she ought to know something about him, Kagome cleared her throat to speak.
“So, how long have you known my brother?” she questioned, chancing a glance at the man next to her as they turned a corner.
Kouga chuckled, his voice sounding gruff, but strangely inviting to her ears, seemingly instantly to calm her down. “I met your brother up at his internship about three years ago. I'm one of the doctors that works at the hospital that actively trains students in the program he's part of. Your brother's a good kid. He'll make a great doctor one of these days…” Kouga said his voice prideful as he stopped at a red light.
“I'm happy to see Souta made friends. Ever since he was a child he wanted to be a doctor. When Mom died, it only intensified that wish. He decided his best bet was to come out here to get his education. As his older sister though, I worried about him. He's all I have left…” Kagome replied softly, the last sentence uttered barely above a whisper.
Kouga turned her way, wishing fervently to console the grieving woman, but unsure if the reassurance would be welcome. Any demon with a nose could smell she was with pup, and to say she was alone told him without a doubt that the father was either dead or wanted nothing to do with her. “Most likely the first one… What decent man would leave an angel like her to fend for herself?” Kouga thought darkly as he pulled into the tenant's parking spot and pulled the keys from the ignition.
“Follow me.” He said as he led the way to the building, holding the door open for her as they entered the massive structure. He led her to a desk on the first floor right before a string of elevators. “This is the new tenant for apartment 1221.” Kouga clarified to the middle aged woman that sat staring at them from behind her magazine, smacking a piece of bubble gum rudely in her mouth. With a small wave, she produced two keys from a drawer and a small slip of paper for Kagome to sign. “Souta and I took care of all the other paperwork.” Kouga explained proudly when Kagome looked around for the stack of agreements and rules she expected to pop up before her.
The woman monotonously explained when rent was due and what was expected out of her as a tenant. Kagome nodded dutifully before clutching the keys in her hand and following Kouga to the elevator.
The ride up in the contraption made her grasp her stomach in sudden nausea, but she brushed off the concerned voice of Kouga with a polite smile. Happy to hear the ding that signaled the finality of their accent, Kagome sighed in relief, reminding herself to find out where the stairs were located.
“Now, Souta and I are in apartment 1222, so we're across from you. Your room already has the amenities and furniture such as a bed, dresser, and T.V, but if there's anything you need, let me and Souta know, okay?” Kouga asked at they made their way down the hall, small, torch-like lamps marking their way.
Kagome nodded her thanks, still not trusting herself to open her mouth as the bout of nausea had yet to pass. Tight lipped, she made for her new home. Kouga followed, totting what luggage of hers he could.
Kagome smiled excitedly as she threw open the door of her apartment, taking in the small, plum colored living room and hastily making her way into the beige kitchenette that was connected. It seemed there was no need to buy any furniture at all as there was already a couch, entertainment center, and coffee table located in the living room, and a table, fridge, microwave, and dish washer in the kitchen. The bedroom though, was by far Kagome's favorite room of all. The textured walls were an off white with a border of sea shells around the top. The looked into the bathroom connected and flopped on the bed tiredly. This was her new home. The idea was both disheartening and oddly appealing. She had a clean slate…well, for the most part, obviously her children tied her to the past, but she was looking forward to that. Maybe he/she wouldn't look like their father.
So deep within her own thoughts, Kagome never noticed the tall, black haired youth that entered the room, laugh lines evident around his eyes. “Hey Sis, it's been a while.”
The soft voice drifted into Kagome's ears and her head snapped in its direction. “Souta.” She mumbled into his shoulder, unable to hold back her relief at seeing a familiar face in an unfamiliar setting.
Souta smiled down at his sister, the smile on his lips feeling forced as he noticed the broken look in her eyes. He knew she had a reason for leaving Japan, but he had resigned himself to waiting until she felt comfortable telling him what it was. Losing Rin had been tough on her. He had been the only one that knew of her pregnancy and the outcome. It had been through Kagome's nurturing that he had decided to move to the U.S.A. and pursue his life long dream of becoming a doctor…more specifically, a pediatrician.
He drew her face back from his chest, and stared into her eyes, noting how tired and sickly she appeared with the dark circles and obvious weight loss she was undergoing. “Sis, have you been taking care of yourself?” he asked, worry furrowing creases in his forehead and tightening the grip around her shaking shoulders.
Kagome smiled, “Don't worry about me Souta; I just need time to heal, that's all.” She insisted. “Now, don't you have a test to study for tomorrow? I need to get unpacked if I plan on getting any sleep at all tonight. We can talk tomorrow after you get back from your classes, and I have everything set up here.” She assured him as she pushed him out the door and locked it behind him, leaving no room for questions.
Sighing dejectedly, she made her way back to the bed and flopped on it unceremoniously. Tears stung the corner of her eyes, and she wanted to ignore them, but grief overwhelmed her. Stifling her sobs in the depths of a pillow, she gave in to the pain and the sadness the sudden move had brought and allowed the tears to flow, telling herself that this was the last time she would cry for something beyond her grasp. She had to be strong, for herself and for the sake of her unborn child. Tomorrow she would find a job and make a name in this new world. She would put the past behind her and strive to better herself, but tonight, tonight she just wanted to cry.
**********************************************************
Sesshoumaru took a deep breath, willing the red to recede from his eyes, as he flipped his cell phone shut with a flick of his wrist. Pacing back and forth before his desk in his study, he pondered on what to do next. Kagome obviously wasn't answering her phone, be it intentionally knowing it was him, or unintentionally ignoring it in her sleep…it was 2:30 in the morning after all.
He paused where he stood, leaning against the wood of his desk, his bright eyes glazed over as he thought. He was worried…really worried. Kagome always answered her phone, regardless of the hour. His thoughts went back to his daughter's words as he prepared her for bed.
“Daddy,” the child sat up and clasped Qubert closer to her chest. “Miss H. kind of smelt like you today in class, but I asked her why, and I could smell she was lying. She seemed so sad at the question though that I wanted to ask you, Daddy.” The child looked up at her father as an expectant silence encroached the room.
The words that fell from Sesshoumaru's mouth next were slow and deliberate, words that he wanted Rin to understand as it was the utmost importance that she do so. “Rin, tell me, what was the scent like?”
Rin shifted on the bedspread and crossed her legs in thought. “Well, Miss H. said you came and talked to her, but it was a different smell… It wasn't her clothes that smelled like you…it was her. You know, kind of like it was coming off her. “ she answered the best she could, her facial features softened, and she whimpered.
Taken aback by such a drastic change in such a short amount of time, in three easy strides, Sesshoumaru found himself beside his daughter, rubbing her back in circular motions of comfort and running his fingers through her crow-black hair. “Rin, what's wrong?” he asked as Rin settled back against the pillows. “Daddy, I think it's my fault Miss H. left.”
Sesshoumaru felt his heart stop in fear momentarily only to start back up faster than ever. “Rin, what do you mean `left'?” Sesshoumaru probed, still coming across as calm and uncaring even as his heart thrummed with worry for his true love.
Rin sniffled as she bowed her head in shame. “Not long after I talked to her, she left. Mr. Houshi said we would have a new teacher by Friday. He wouldn't tell us why Miss H. was or why she left. Daddy, did I make her leave?” Rin cried as she cuddled close to her father as he stared off at the wall.
From what Rin had explained, it sounded like Kagome had been pregnant, but she had been on birth control from what she had told him. Not that he minded the fact that she could be pregnant with his child--in fact, the idea seemed to excite him.
His mind wandering back to the problem at hand, he frowned. He knew Kagome thought of others before her self, but would she leave his life and sacrifice everything to save his marriage—one that wasn't even worth attempting to save?
He growled, not even thinking on the question; he already knew the answer. Kagome would do anything for Sesshoumaru. If she thought he might get the short end of the straw, she would do anything to make it better for him.
Picking up his phone, he wanted to make one more call before making his way to Kagome's apartment. Taking only a second to dial the number, he waited as the phone rang twice in response before a sleepy yawn interrupted. “This better be good Sesshoumaru; I have work in the morning.”
“You will tell this Sesshoumaru what's going on with Kagome, now…Miroku.”
 
A.N.: I know the chapter isn't very long, but I needed to get a few things out of the way to get the ball rolling for this story. It's been forever since I last updated, I know, but it's been crazy for me with homework and all. Let me know what you think about the chapter…I will update ASAP! Thanks!