InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots of Life After the End ❯ Picking Up the Pieces ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to At First Tweak on March 11, 2012 for Prompt #64 Windchime.

Title: Picking Up the Pieces
Author: ananova
Rating: K
Genre: Family
Universe: Post Canon
Word Count: 300
Summary: An accident destroys a treasured item. Can something be salvaged from the wreckage?

-------------


Crash!

Inuyasha winced at the sound that echoed through the hut before turning to glare at the perpetrators. Matching looks of dismay covered the childrens' faces. He glanced at the debris on the floor and winced again. The tea-set he had bought Kagome because it reminded her of one her mother had owned lay in pieces.

He gave the children a stern look. “This is why you're not allowed to play with the ball inside.” His anger faded at the twin watery golden stares and lowered dog ears. “No ball and extra chores for a week,” he told them, sighing. “Help me clean this up before your mother returns.”

As Inuyasha began sweeping the pieces into a pile the tinkling sound they made caught his attention. A smile formed as an idea came to him upon seeing the size of some of the porcelain shards. He turned to his children. “I've got an idea of how you can help make this up to your mother.”

Kagome smiled when she returned home only to pause as she saw the excited but guilty looks on her childrens' faces. “What happened?”

Inuyasha stepped forward. “There was an accident with the ball. The children have been punished but I'm sorry to say that your tea-set was broken.”

Jomei and Izayoi piped up in unison. “Sorry Mama.”

Kagome sighed sadly. “At least nobody was hurt. You've learned your lesson about playing inside?” She received twin nods.

Inuyasha smiled. “We did salvage something.” He held out a wind-chime, made from the broken shards.“It's lovely. I know just where to put it.” Kagome shared a smile with Inuyasha as the children began making suggestions. As her mother would say, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!