InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots of Life After the End ❯ The Sweetest Sound ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Issekiwa on March 14, 2012 for Prompt #145 Ball or Bawl.

Title: The Sweetest Sound
Author: ananova
Rating: T
Prompt: Ball or Bawl (Issekiwa)
Genre: Family
Word Count: 247
Warnings: None
Summary: Why was it so quiet?

Author's note: This can be viewed as a slight prequel to my oneshot Worth the Wait which can be found on my profile.

----------------------------


Kagome groaned as she pushed yet again. Sweat poured down her forehead from the effort and she panted for breath. Finally the contraction eased and she was able to relax for a moment. She glanced at Kaede, hoping for a sign that this was nearly over. She didn't remember it taking this long to give birth to Jomei.

She sighed at that thought. At least then she had had Inuyasha at her side, supporting her, helping her through the pain. But Kaede had put her foot down this time, insisting that Inuyasha wait outside for the birth. Kagome scowled as another contraction hit and she had to push again. She didn't care what Kaede said, next time her husband was going to be at her side!

Finally, the pain eased and she saw Kaede holding a bundle. As she lay there tired and in pain a smile made its way to her face before fading. Why was the hut so quiet? She glanced worriedly at the quiet bundle in Kaede's arms. Why wasn't the baby crying? “Kaede?”

The old miko paid her no attention as she worked quickly, cleaning the baby and patting it's back. Finally, a cry escaped the child's mouth and Kagome sighed in relief as the baby's bawling filled the hut. It was the sweetest sound she had ever heard.

She gratefully accepted her daughter from Kaede, examining her features before smiling as Inuyasha entered the hut. “Someone wants to meet you.”