InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots of Life After the End ❯ A Crushing Nightmare ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on July 13, 2012 for Drabble #35 Onslaught.

Title: A Crushing Nightmare
Author: ananova
Word Count: 376
Prompt: Onslaught
Genre: Angst
Rating: K+
Warnings: None
Characters: Inuyasha and Kagome
Summary: Kagome dreams of being back in the Meido.

A/N: This might be a bit confusing if you haven't read my story Memories Forgotten. All you really have to know to understand this is that it is a post-canon story of Inuyasha losing part of his memory, including being married to Kagome and expecting their first child. It was mostly from Inuyasha's pov so I decided to add a little piece showing what Kagome was feeling at the time. This would take place at the beginning of chapter 3.

---------------------

Kagome fell into an uneasy sleep, wishing for strong arms to wrap around her and hold her close, reassuring her that everything would be alright. But they never did and her last, troubled thought before sleep claimed her was 'How could he have forgotten our love, what we have together?'

“Where am I?” All around her was darkness. She gasped as her eyes landed on the Shikon no Tama. “I'm back in the Meido?”

“Make a wish.”

“No, Inuyasha will come.” She shook her head in defiance.

“He has forgotten you, he will not come. Your only escape is to wish for it.”

Uncertainty filled her. “N-no, he will come. Even if he's forgotten what we share, he still cares for me.” Unbidden, an image of Inuyasha's angry look as he practically called her a whore flashed across her mind and doubt began to creep into her mind.

The Shikon no Tama sensed the change and struck. “Will he really? When he believes he still loves Kikyou? Weren't you merely the shard detector? Why would he come for you when there are no shards to find?”

The words produced a flood of images, memories. Inuyasha embracing Kikyou, kissing her, vowing to protect her. Inuyasha ready to go to hell with Kikyou. Inuyasha leaving her behind to investigate a rumor of Kikyou's survival. Being captured by Akago, his tiny hands digging their way through her heart. Kagome fell to her knees, the onslaught of pain and despair crushing her, threatening to drown her like a tidal wave. “Inuyasha! Inuyasha! Please, come find me!” But there was no answer, only the cruel laughter of the Shikon no Tama as it taunted her to make a wish.

“No, Inuyasha please,” Kagome whimpered, her hand stretching out on the futon beside her, seeking the familiar warmth. But the spot was empty and cold. “Inuyasha!” Her eyes snapped open as she awoke covered in sweat. The room was empty except for her. He had left her. Sobs wracking her body, she curled up into a ball and sobbed out her pain and loss, one hand clutching at her swollen belly as the other clawed at the cold, empty space beside her.