InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots of Life After the End ❯ Uncertainty ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Inuyasha Unsung Heroes on July 30, 2012 for Prompt #70 Daydream. It won 3rd place.

Title: Uncertainty
Author: ananova
Prompt: Daydream
Word count: 298
POV: Souta
Rating: K
Universe: Post-canon
Warnings: None
Summary: Because the not knowing can be the hardest part for those left behind.

----------------

“I'm home,” Souta called before making his way upstairs to his room. He paused before reaching it to stare at the open door to Kagome's old room. A sigh escaped him. “Mom must have been dusting and cleaning in there again.” He turned to continue on before hesitating. Turning back, he gave in to the urge to enter.

The room hadn't changed since Kagome had left. It was still as she left it, as though waiting for her to come back to it. But that wouldn't happen, he knew.

He sank down onto the bed and gazed around blankly, his mind five hundred years in the past. “I hope you're happy there Sis,” he said quietly. “That you had a good life and I've got lots of nieces and nephews running around.” It was still hard to accept that his sister was gone forever, that she would have died long before he was born.

He remembered how envious he had been of her ability to travel to the past, of her adventures. The daydreams he would have as he imagined he was the one roaming the countryside with Inu-no-niichan. “I was so naïve,” he muttered as his gaze dropped to his bag which held the report he had just done on the living conditions of that era. Uncertainty ate at him as he pondered Kagome's life. Chances were Kagome hadn't survived more than a few years.

He shook his head. “No, she's happy. She has Inu-no-niichan to protect her and keep her safe,” Souta told himself firmly, pushing the uncertainty away. That was one hope, one daydream he wasn't going to shatter anytime soon. He gazed around the room again. “I miss you Sis but I know you're where you belong.” He stood and left the room.