InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sorano's Secret ❯ The Angel Revealed ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
The Angel Revealed
 
 
“InuYasha? Why don't we stay here for the night?” said the young monk, Miroku.
 
 
“Feh! Fine, but first thing tomorrow we're leaving!”
 
 
InuYasha and Kagome led the way through the village closely followed by the monk and Sango the demon slayer. The young fox demon, Shippo, and the two-tail cat demon, Kirara, rode on Sango's shoulders.
 
 
The villagers immediately took notice of InuYasha's presence, and had already begun to riot and encircle the group.
 
 
“Demons be gone!” one village person shouted as he waved his pitchfork in the air.
 
 
Sorano was returning from the neighboring wilderness, where she had collected the remainder of that night's dinner preparations, when she stumbled upon the scene.
She was a bit taken back by how rude the villagers were being.
`They never treated me so badly.' She thought as a little voice in her head retaliated, `Yes. But they do not know who you really are.' She cringed at the truth of the matter. Just then her Knowing voice whispered, `These people are innocent. They too protect the weak.'
 
 
`I can't very well leave them to suffer.' She thought to herself.
 
 
Calmly, but with a hidden strength behind her voice, “Excuse me. What is the matter here?”
 
 
“What? Are you blind Sorano? They're demons!” one of the villagers shouted angrily.
 
 
“No, I am not blind. However, I am unable to see the harm in their presence here.” She continued, looking at InuYasha, “You are a half-demon, are you not?”
 
 
“Yeh, what of it wench?” he spat.
 
 
Again Sorano's Knowing voice spoke to her, telling her everything. `The young girl sees you. Her name is Kagome and she possesses miko powers, but she is not of this time. She is traveling with a lecherous monk, Miroku. A demon slayer, Sango. Two small demons, a little fox demon, Shippo, and a two-tailed cat demon, Kirara. The half-demon is InuYasha. Together they seek the fragments of the Shikon-no-Tama and an evil demon named Naraku.' Her Knowing voice told her everything about each person, even going so far as to show her some of what happened in his or her lives. Her gift had never been so strong, but something about these people made her Knowing momentarily change to Sight.
 
 
Sorano completely ignored InuYasha for she already knew who he was as well as his companions. “You may stay with me, if you wish.”
 
 
The villagers gasped in utter disbelief and then the village headman confronted Sorano. “You know that by allowing these demons to stay with you, you are going against the village laws? And that in doing this, you will be condemned.”
 
 
Sorano bowed her head in agreement before answering, “Yes. I understand the consequences of my actions. I will be forever banned from this village. But dear sir, I have been a loyal citizen here and all I ask if for one last night in peace. My hut is on the outskirts of the village and I will take complete responsibility for the actions of my guests. I am sure they will cause you no trouble.”
 
 
The headmaster had loved Sorano like his own and her beauty made her plea all the more powerful. “Sorano, I will grant your request but you must leave first thing tomorrow morning. May Kami watch over you.” With that, the villagers dispersed.
 
 
InuYasha and the gang couldn't believe what just happened; however InuYasha wasn't about to show his gratitude.
 
 
“You don't have to do this you know. We can always find somewhere else to stay for the night.” Kagome chimed.
 
 
“Feh! If she wants to give up her citizenship here, its none of my business.” InuYasha mumbled under his breath.
 
 
“Nonsense, Kagome. What's done is done. Besides I would like to speak to you all about your quest.” Sorano replied.
 
 
“Ok bitch, how the hell did you know her name?” InuYasha shouted, realizing names hadn't been exchanged.
 
 
“Pardon me. I apologize. However, I do not wish to answer you here. All shall be made known when we reach the safety of my hut. Now follow me.” Sorano spoke calmly. Not an ounce of fear crossed her face as she gently wrapped her arm through InuYasha's and escorted them to her home.
 
 
Sorano sensed the obvious tension that hovered over the group. She also caught a hint of jealousy from the young miko.
 
 
Once in Sorano's hut, she spoke, “Kagome. InuYasha. Sango. Miroku. Shippo. Kirara. My name is Sorano. I too am a half-breed, InuYasha. I am the daughter of Izanagi and Takara.”
 
 
“Wait a minute,” Miroku interrupted, “isn't Izanagi the god of the sky?”
 
 
Sorano nodded in agreement.
 
 
“But he is married to Izanami, the goddess of the earth and darkness.” He continued.
 
 
“This is true.” Sorano answered. “However, before my father married Izanami, he loved my mother Takara, a simple village woman. Therefore I am a half breed, demi-goddess.”
 
 
“So I wasn't seeing things.” Kagome started.
 
 
“No dear. My wings are real. A gift…” Sorano stopped, the thought of her father being so close and yet so far away, made her feel so lonely.
 
 
“Yeh, so what. You still haven't told us how you know so much about us.” InuYasha flashed his amber gaze at Sorano in an attempt to threaten her, but his action didn't even faze her.
 
 
“Just as my wings were a gift, I was given the gift of Knowing from the Dragon Lord.” Sorano gave a knowing glance before she continued. “Sango, you are a demon slayer, and Kirara is your partner in combat, and dear friend in life. I am sorry about the loss of your family and I pray for the release of your younger brother, Kohaku. Miroku, you call yourself a monk, however, you are a lecher. You go around proposing to every beautiful woman you see. You are also cursed with a wind tunnel in your right hand. Kagome, you are not of this time. You possess the powers of a priestess, and are the chosen guardian of the Shikon-no-Tama. Shippo, you are a fox-demon and sadly, the Thunder Brothers killed your father. And InuYasha. You are the most interesting. Fifty-two years ago, you fell in love with a priestess named Kikyo. She sealed you to a tree and died shortly after. But Kikyo was resurrected; yet she isn't really real. This Kikyo is only a copy of the original Kikyo. And Kagome, you are Kikyo's reincarnation. Therefore, you are from the future. And Naraku is the cause of each broken and troubled heart here. Am I correct?”
 
 
She chose this time to allow everyone to see her feathered features. Almost everyone was focused on Sorano, shocked at her new appearance and amazed that she knew so much.
 
 
InuYasha was sitting in the corner unaware of the goings on and a bit peeved at Sorano's calling Kikyo a “copy,” but at the mention of Naraku, his head snapped up. `Naraku.'
 
 
“So, you are a demi-goddess?” Kagome reiterated.
 
 
Sorano nodded, but she still sensed a hint of jealousy coming from Kagome.
 
 
Not wanting to embarrass her, Sorano devised a plan to lose the guys.
 
 
“Silly me, I forgot to gather firewood. You all must be starved. I'll go…”
 
 
“I'll go get some for you!” Miroku leaped to his feet and was gone in an instant.
 
 
Sorano laughed, but then she was hit by a strong sense of jealousy emanating from Sango. InuYasha didn't even budge, but Kagome was catching on, “InuYasha, why don't you go too? After all Sorano has done for us, it's the least we can do.” `Finally, some girl talk.'
 
 
InuYasha snorted in disagreement but he complied.
 
 
Once the men were gone, Sorano, smiled at both Kagome and Sango, “I am no threat to your hearts' conquest. I can tell InuYasha means a great deal to you Kagome. And Sango, Miroku means a lot to you as well.”
 
 
Both girls turned ten shades of red under Sorano's knowing eyes, but all three enjoyed a hearty laugh at the matter.
 
 
Dinner was served shortly after the guys returned. Sorano served them with Saba no miso Ni, which is simmered mackerel in miso sauce.
 
 
Each member of the group thoroughly enjoyed Sorano's cooking. InuYasha even went so far as to second-guess his love for ramen.
 
 
After everyone had his or her fill of Sorano's scrumptious meal, the group discussion began again.
 
 
“Sorano?” Kagome began, “Where are you going to go now that you have banned from your village?”
 
 
“Well, I really don't know. Except for when I was a child, this village is all I've known.” She answered. “I suppose…”
 
 
The conversation was cut short, by a loud roar and the blood-curdling screams of the villagers.
 
 
Everyone scurried out of the hut to see what was going on and what he or she saw was chilling. Demons were swooping down from every angle attacking villagers and destroying huts. The village men had armed themselves with whatever weaponry they could get their hands on and the women and children were huddled behind the debris.
 
 
For InuYasha and the gang, this was not unusual. But, for Sorano this was bizarre! She had never been faced with such a horrific incident. Shivers danced up and down her spine, as she stood there momentarily paralyzed in shock.
 
InuYasha had already unsheathed Tessaiga and jumped into battle. The rest of the gang had taken up the normal positions. Kagome had her bow and a quiver full of arrows. She stood there firing her sacred arrows with uncanny precision. Sango and Kirara had joined InuYasha in the mist of battle, their demon slaying instincts on overdrive. Miroku, unable to use his wind tunnel due to Naraku's saimyoushou swarming amidst the mass off demons, leapt into battle, wielding his staff mercilessly.
 
 
`Naraku. This is all his doing. You must protect the villagers!' Sorano's Knowing voice echoed in her ears and snapped her out of her confusion. She began to look frantically around the village and saw the women and children being attacked by some demons. The demons were closing in on the villagers with great speed, but Sorano knew she had to protect the innocent.
 
 
Without a second thought, Sorano called on her powers. She fired her first attack. It pulsated through the air, resembling a ripple on the water. Though her attack was a weak one, it was enough to deter the demons' focus. Taking advantage of the situation, Sorano, flew to the frightened villagers and quickly placed a barrier around them.
 
 
Among the villagers protected by Sorano's barrier was the village headman. `What is she?!' He asked himself. `How can she put up a barrier? How did she get here so quickly? I'd swear I saw her flying here!' His mind was scrambled, overflowing with questions.
 
 
Sorano's Knowing voice ripped at her heartstrings, `the village headman is frightened of you, not to mention the rest of the villagers. Even though your attack only affected the demons, everyone felt the surge of power that rippled from you.'
 
 
In an attempt to calm the villagers, Sorano spoke, “I know you are frightened, but trust me, I will protect you.”
 
 
Moments later, to everyone's relief, the last demon was slain.
 
 
The knowledge of Sorano's true identity came as quite a shock to the villagers. Even though she had saved their lives, they feared her.
 
 
The village headman confronted Sorano, his body was trembling and his words were cold, “You no longer are permitted here. You must leave at once.”
 
 
Sorano's heart broke. No amount of Knowing could have prepared her for those hurtful words.
 
 
InuYasha, Kagome and the rest of the gang were also a bit taken back with the power she possessed. Yet, when the village headman spoke, they were dumbfounded. `Did he really just kick her out of the village after she saved their lives?!' Each member thinking the same thing.
 
 
Sorano lifted her eyes to InuYasha's and without a word she entered her small hut, exiting a few moments later with a small bundle containing her belongings. InuYasha understood her actions and ushered for Kagome to go get her things.
 
 
Together they left the village.
 
 
“Where will you go now, Sorano?” Sango asked.
 
 
“Why don't you travel with us?” Kagome questioned as she gave InuYasha a pleading gaze.
 
 
Though InuYasha refused to show his true feelings, he, more than anyone, understood Sorano's pain. He had spent his whole life running from those who sought to kill him for fear of his half-demon nature.
 
 
“Well, I don't give a rat's ass whether you stay or go. Just quit sulking already. You think you're the only one who's got it bad?” InuYasha fumed.
 
 
“InuYasha!” Kagome was ready to `sit' him for being so inconsiderate, when Sorano spoke.
 
 
“If you really don't mind my presence, may I stay with you until I can find somewhere where I'll be accepted?” Sorano's words cut each member of the group to the quick. They all knew that finding acceptance for a half-breed was practically hopeless.
 
 
“Fine! Stay if you want. Just remember, what I say goes. You got that wench?” InuYasha spat. `Good luck finding a place where people accept you.' He thought sardonically.
 
 
“Thank you.” Sorano bowed her head in thanks, but as she did the tears she'd been holding back broke free. She hadn't cried since the day she left her father's house. She just hadn't felt comfortable enough with anyone to share her pain. But with InuYasha, she knew his pain now, all too well.