InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sorano's Secret ❯ Calm Before the Storm ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Calm Before the Storm
 
Walking with the group, Sorano could feel a foreboding energy coming from the southeast. She studied the rest of the group for a reaction, but there was none. They were completely oblivious to the evil that was on the wind. `Why do they not sense it?' She questioned.
 
The air seemed thick, almost suffocating, but still no one noticed. Sorano stopped abruptly holding her hand to her chest for lack of oxygen.
 
“Sorano, are you okay? You look pale.” Kagome asked worriedly as she ran to aid Sorano in whatever way she could.
 
The rest of the group stared at her baffled at her sudden change in color.
 
“I… can… barely… breathe.” She rasped, reaching for Kagome's arm.
 
Gasping for air, Sorano stumbled, toppling over her own feet.
 
What the others didn't know was that Sorano's Knowing was trying to warn her of impending danger. She Knew that Naraku was somewhere nearby and it was this overwhelming evil that was crushing her insides.
 
After several minutes passed, Sorano regained her composure.
 
“Sorano,” Miroku began, “Are you alright? What just happened?”
 
“Naraku… he's close.” Her words were shaky but she continued, “His aura is coming from the southeast.”
 
“Then what the hell are we waiting for?” InuYasha spat. “Let's drop in and surprise the bastard!”
 
The group then turned southeasterly and began their search for Naraku.
 
“Naraku is definitely close by. I can feel his menacing aura surrounding us.” Miroku spoke carefully.
 
“Why did you not feel it earlier?” Sorano started, “It was his evil that stole my breath from me.”
 
“Hi Sorano!” Rin's little voice chimed. “Sorry I haven't seen you in a while. Lord Sesshomaru has been a little distant and Jaken and I were worried about him.”
 
“Oh, well, I hope he is feeling better.” Sorano replied.
 
“Oh yes. He's feeling much better. He's headed toward Naraku's lair right now.” Rin answered.
 
“What?” InuYasha bellowed. “Well, he sure as hell ain't beatin' me there!”
 
InuYasha began running in the direction Sorano had specified, leaving the rest behind.
 
“Wait InuYasha!” Kagome's voice was desperate and filled with worry.
 
“Rin stay out of trouble okay? Get as far away from Naraku as possible.” Sorano instructed. “Do you understand?”
 
Rin gave a nod showing she understood Sorano's instructions.
 
Sorano, along with the rest of the group all began their pursuit.
 
The closer the group got to Naraku the more they sensed his presence. It was a daunting mist that covered the lower valley they were running through when Sesshomaru appeared.
 
“So you've come to kill Naraku little brother.” Sesshomaru began, “And it seems you're little friends aren't far behind.”
 
“Yeah, we came to beat that no good bastard to a pulp, which is more than you could do.” InuYasha piped.
 
“This is no time to argue gentlemen.” Sorano interrupted. “We've got lots of work to do and if we want to defeat Naraku, we all need to work together. I don't care if this family feud of yours has lasted centuries, if it's not put aside now, all will be lost. Do you understand?”
 
“Yeah? What do you know?” InuYasha spat before he realized what he was saying.
 
At this, Sorano's mouth turned up at the corners, in a small smirk. Seconds past before she replied, “I just know,” with a coy, almost motherly tone.
 
The “team” raced to Naraku's hideout with great hast, each member yearning to quench their thirst to pay the devil his due.
 
Their quest was put to an abrupt stop when they saw the barrier surrounding Naraku's warren. InuYasha tried to use the Red Tessaiga, but to no avail.
 
`Something's not right.' Sorano's Knowing called. `The barrier is strong, brothers must jointly use their father's fang.' Sorano felt a deeper sense of wrong was behind the barrier, there was more that her Knowing had yet to confirm.