InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sorano's Secret ❯ Reunited ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Reunited
 
Sesshomaru never apologized for hitting Sorano, but his body language showed he felt guilty for doing so. Though she had been upset at first, she didn't hold it against him long; forgiveness had been something her father had always stressed, and she knew that forgiving him was the right thing to do.
 
Rin was once again sent to hide far away from the danger of battle and Ahun was given strict instructions to guard her, failure to do so meant excruciating pain for the two-headed demon.
 
With Kagura now fighting against Naraku, the team felt a bit more confident. She had confirmed that Naraku's heart was also being hidden within the cavern. This gave them even more incentive to put an end to that evil, scum-sucking demon.
 
Once their general plan had been mapped out, they began the final stages of attack.
Sorano however had made a few minor adjustments of her own. She had realized that Kagura was taking a huge risk in betraying Naraku because he still had possession of her heart. One wrong move and Kagura would be history, not to mention, the plan would fail. She had also made a promise to Rin to save Kohaku. Sorano's Knowing confirmed both Naraku and Kohaku's location within the cave and just how to get there; she knew what had to be done.
 
Since most of the demons had been disposed off, their approach toward the castle seemed quiet, almost too quiet.
 
The air was heavy and a dense fog covered the ground. No sounds could be heard other than the scuffling of their feet against the sand. The moon lay hidden behind a mass of cumulus clouds, and the smell of the approaching rainstorm hung heavy on the gentle breeze.
 
As they neared the entrance of the cave, the air, thick with moisture, clung to their bodies weighing them down, yet they pushed onward.
 
The cave was dark, musty, and humid. Water dripped from the ceiling above them and as they made their way into the great belly of the cavern, the darkness engulfed them.
 
The cave forked, the left tunnel leading to Naraku, and the right tunnel to Kohaku. Sorano had made a promise and she had vowed to honor it.
 
“InuYasha, follow the left tunnel, it leads directly to Naraku.” She began.
 
“What? You chickening out on me, wench?” He interrupted.
 
“No, InuYasha. I am not chickening out, as you say. I must help rescue Kohaku.” She finished.
 
“Kohaku?” Sango breathed.
 
“Yes, your brother is here. Are you coming?” Sorano was already walking down the right tunnel.
 
Sango gave a quick glance to InuYasha, Kagome, and then Miroku; each one gave a reassuring nod, before she darted after Sorano.
 
“Oh! InuYasha! Make sure Kagura stays out of sight. We need her to win this fight and we can't have Naraku killing her because you were careless.” Sorano joked as she and Sango faded into the darkness leading to Kohaku.
 
“Wha…what?! You think I'm stupid?” InuYasha bellowed.
 
Sesshomaru smirked at the situation and mentally awarded Sorano kudos for her coy way of pushing InuYasha's buttons.
 
No words were exchanged as the two women approached the edge of the tunnel, but Sorano knew what Sango was thinking. Would she be forced to kill her own brother in order to free him from Naraku?
 
“Sango, do not be afraid. Kohaku is in his right mind.” Sango said as she gently put her hand on Sango's shoulder.
 
“What are you talking about?” Sango queried.
 
“As I said. He is in his right mind. Naraku's hold on him has been broken and he remembers everything.”
 
“Everything?”
 
“Yes dear, everything. He has sworn to avenge the injustice Naraku inflicted and that is the reason he hasn't returned to you. He wants to find Naraku's heart and kill him.”
 
Just as Sorano finished, the two had reached the end of the tunnel and there was Kohaku, seated on a boulder about ten feet away.
 
“Kohaku!” Sango rejoiced as she began running toward him.
 
He leapt to his feet, weapon at the ready, evidently startled by Sango's sudden outburst.
 
She stopped just short of him aware that he hadn't loosened his hold on his blade.
 
“Kohaku?” Sango urged hoping he would acknowledge her as his sister. Sango turned to Sorano questioningly.
 
“Kohaku, I know you are no longer under Naraku's control and so does your sister. I've come to request your assistance in defeating him.” Sorano began.
 
“How do you know?” Kohaku mocked.
 
“Because I Know. I also have a proposition for you. I can remove the jewel shard from your back in exchange for your help.” Sorano understood that to remove the shard would return Kohaku back to the fatal condition he was in the fateful night Naraku forced him to kill the very people he loved, yet she knew that she could save him.
 
Sango argued, “Sorano! To remove the shard would kill him! You know that!”
 
“No, it would bring him near death, but have you forgotten I can save him?” Sango assured her.
 
Kohaku had been listening intently to the conversation that passed between his sister and this strange woman, and he found himself calm and willing to accept her offer.
 
“Mam would you please remove it then?” Kohaku interrupted.
 
“Then you will join us in defeating Naraku?”
 
“Yes mam.”
 
Sango realized what Sorano had said was true and that Kohaku could be saved, so she didn't argue further.
 
Sorano approached him calmly and lightly placed her hand on Kohaku's upper back calling on her powers to draw out the shard. As she removed the shard she said, “Sango, remind me to return this to Kagome.”
 
Sango nodded as she braced herself for the worst-case scenario.
 
Once the shard had been removed Kohaku crumbled to the earth gasping for air as his body began to bleed from several wounds on his chest and back.
 
“Sister.” Kohaku moaned.
 
“I'm here Kohaku.” Sango raced to his side and took hold of his hand.
 
Again Sorano called forth her powers to heal the boy.
 
Once Kohaku had been healed, Sango embraced him lovingly in a tight hug. “Kohaku, I'm so glad you're alright and finally free from Naraku!”
 
“Sis, I can't breathe.” Kohaku sputtered.
 
“What are you still hurt?” Sango worried, releasing him from her death hug.
 
Kohaku chuckled, “No, you were just squeezing me so hard I couldn't catch my breath.”
 
“Oh.” Sango turned her head away shyly as she blushed a deep red.
 
Sorano smiled inwardly as she watched the happy reunion between the two siblings. Her body was weakened now and she needed her strength to ensure victory against Naraku.
 
“I'm happy all is well between you two, and that we are all anxious to destroy Naraku, but I must rest a while. If you wish, you may move on without me.” Sorano said as she bowed her head at the thought of being left alone.
 
“Are you kidding? You saved Kohaku! I'll wait for you to regain your strength.” Sango jabbed.
 
Kohaku agreed and so they stood guard while Sorano rested.