InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sorano's Secret ❯ Sacrifice ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sacrifice
 
After Sorano had rested the trio left the cave and retracing their steps returned to the fork in the earthen tunnels. Once there they followed the left tunnel towards Naraku.
 
Closing in on where she knew Naraku waited, Sorano prepared for what she knew would be a very dangerous battle, for her especially. Sango and Kohaku where both on edge yet they were prepared for the inevitable.
 
Sorano instructed Kagura and Kohaku to stay hidden behind a large boulder until the appointed time. This would protect them from Naraku.
 
“Ku Ku Ku Ku. So here comes the rest of your pathetic group, InuYasha.” The Dark Lord laughed from his jagged throne.
 
“Yea. And we're gonna make sure you ain't nothin' but a pile of bones when we're done with you!” InuYasha barked.
 
“Oh really? Well why don't we just see about that?” Naraku mused at he sent his tentacles out towards InuYasha and company.
 
Each member of the group dodged Naraku's weak attack, knowing he wasn't being serious. Naraku's attacks were more like a child playing with his or her food before eating it. This put them all on edge.
 
The plan they had concocted seemed to evaporate when InuYasha lost his composure and attacked Naraku head on.
 
“InuYasha, No!!!” Kagome shrieked. Sesshomaru just rolled his eyes at InuYasha's ignorance.
 
“Ku Ku Ku. Haven't we already tried this tactic InuYasha? Its useless.” Naraku chuckled as he thrust his slimy wood-looking tentacle at the incoming hanyou.
 
Sorano feared having to use her powers unnecessarily. She had just enough strength to complete the mission, so using more of her powers surely meant defeat.
 
In order to ensure their victory, Sorano leapt into the air and flew into InuYasha, knocking him out of the way.
 
The tentacle barely missed InuYasha's torso, but instead sliced through Sorano's left arm, leaving a deep gash that oozed with miasma.
 
“How do you like my newest method of attack, InuYasha? Ku Ku Ku. You're little friend will be dead within the hour.” The dark lord informed. “Too bad she pushed you out the way.”
 
“What makes you so sure she'll die?” InuYasha spat.
 
“It attacks through the bloodstream and then slowly shuts down all internal organs. She'll die a slow and painful death.”
 
Turning his attention back on Sorano Naraku spoke, “You must be the new addition I've been hearing so much about. Ku Ku Ku.” Stroking his chin thoughtfully he continued, “You are kind of cute. Why not leave these weaklings, and join me? With my power I can reverse the effects of the miasma.” He finished.
 
Kagome was already beginning to weep, “Sorano, you can't die. You just can't.”
 
“Anyone else care to try their hand?” Naraku mocked.
 
Sorano's breathing was growing ragged and her color was beginning to fade. Miroku and Sango were grinding their teeth as they prepared to attack. Sorano knew the moment was near when she would be tested.
 
Sesshomaru found himself clenching his fists in rage at Naraku's impertinence. But Sorano paid Naraku no mind as she straightened up, despite the pain.
 
Looking up at Sesshomaru she smiled, “It is time. I need your help to rally everyone to attack at one time, no restraints. This is the only way to defeat him.”
 
“What about me? How can I help?” Shippo asked.
 
“Ahh, Shippo. I hadn't forgotten you. You too must attack Naraku using Fox Fire.” She answered.
 
“Whatever power you possess, you must use it. Kagome, I realize you possess immense strength, both physically and spiritually. Combine those and you can release such an enormous amount of power, you could wipe out an army of lower level demons. However, I need you to focus on one demon, Naraku. Everyone must attack at the same time. Do you understand?”
 
Each member nodded in agreement.
 
“What's this? Are you all that anxious to die now?” Naraku mocked.
 
Sesshomaru nodded to InuYasha, and InuYasha to Kagome. “Now!” InuYasha shouted.
 
Kohaku and Kagura jumped out from behind the boulder and all at once everyone unleashed his or her rage on the same enemy.
 
Sorano flew as fast as her wings would carry her and intercepted the attacks. A powerful blue-green light had enveloped her, absorbing the power and strength of each attack. Everyone gasped in utter disbelief, staring up at her in amazement.
 
“What the hell is she doing?!” InuYasha shouted. “Dammit! If she wanted to kill herself she could have just gone off on her own or something!”
 
Kagome reprimanded him saying, “InuYasha! She's our friend, I trust her. I think this is all part of a bigger plan.”
 
Kirara was circling Naraku in an attempt to distract him from the goings on.
 
As the light surrounding Sorano gathered the energy from everyone's attack, she felt it surging within her.
 
Once this process was complete, Sorano used her own powers and her Knowing called out to her. `Now, release the energy. Aim to the left of Naraku, for this is where is heart is hidden.'
 
The power pulsed, then shot from her with unbelievable speed and accuracy.
 
Everyone watched, as the full-blown attack seemed to fly right past its supposed target.
 
“What the hell?” InuYasha fumed. “She missed! All that work and she fucking missed!”
 
“No, InuYasha. Look again.” Sesshomaru said coolly.
 
Naraku was curled up, in fetal position, on the ground. Blood flowed freely from his chest and lying beside him was his heart, sliced in three separate pieces.
 
“Is he dead?” Kagome questioned.
 
“Not just yet.” Sorano gasped. “Kagome, you must purify him. Once you have he will die.”
 
With every ounce of her powers extremely exhausted Sorano lost consciousness. The moment she had finished speaking, the light that had suspended her in air, vanished and she began to plummet towards the earth.
 
Sesshomaru flew to her and caught her midair.
 
Kagome did as she was told and purified Naraku. When the purification was completed, Naraku drew his last breath.
 
Sesshomaru knelt on the ground, cradling Sorano in his arm. Everyone gazed at her in disbelief. `Why did she jump in front of the attack?' They all thought.
 
Her breathing had grown weaker and her eyes had lost their luster. As Sesshomaru held her, Sorano spoke ever so softly, “It is done. Naraku is finally gone. Those who have suffered because of him can rejoice.” Straining to finish, Sorano continued, “Sesshomaru don't be so afraid to show your true feelings. I know that you are a wonderful person, demon or not, you have a good heart. It's okay to show kindness and mercy, and its okay to enjoy life.” As she spoke she raised her hand to Sesshomaru's face, gently caressing his skin. Sesshomaru found himself leaning into her touch, welcoming it.
 
Surrounded by her friends, Death called to her, and her spirit answered.