InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ STF: Special Task Force : Japan ❯ Meeting the Staff of STF ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

----- Bryan's POV -----

"Ok, here's your office." Kagome said, opening the door and allowing me to step through. I looked around. The walls were a nice shade of blue. The desk was honest looking with it's laptop/desktop set up. A holster, filled with a Glock 18 and a watch sat on the desk. Next to those sat car keys, an ID card and a badge. I whistled, in Hartford I had to set all this up myself.

Kagome took my whistle with a giggle. "I take it you like it?"

I nodded, sitting in the chair. Kagome sat in the one in front of the desk.

"Ok." She began picking up a watch. "No doubt you had those large radios back at the old base. We had them up until a year ago. Now we have watches. Press and speak." She said, holding up the watch and pointing at the button.

She put it down and slid the holster closer to me. "You no doubt know how to use this. Fully loaded. Our ammo supply is right next door for side arms and in the Intel branch for automatics and shotguns." She took out a folded paper from her pocket. "Here's your log-on name and password. I recommend you change it when you log on."

Finally she jingled the keys in my face. "Now - why don't we have a look at your new ride?"

----------------

Forensics Parking Garage

----------------

Kagome opened the sliding glass door of the forensics lab. Leading me through the twisted hallways. "Don't really worry about this branch. What ever you want analyzed just call for a team." She said, opening a larger door that entered a garage.

In there sat a Jeep Liberty, blue with silver trim. On the hood was written in silver letters `STF', the same on the cargo gate. On both bumpers was written 55D. Kagome opened the driver's side door and motioned for me to sit in it. She shut the door and proceeded to open the garage door before sitting in the passenger seat.

I started the car. A huge grin on my face when I realized - this was not the standard engine. Kagome read my emotions. "This car has been completely done from the ground up. The only thing that came with the car is the steering wheel - and even that was modified. You've got computers, computers, and computers. Tuned engine - modified steering. GPS, better tires, STF built breaks. And of course - lights and siren."

I shifted into drive and pulled out of the garage and onto the track.

I hit the lights and siren and sped down the track doing well over 90. I hit the breaks and turned the wheel, doing a quick 180 before throwing it into reverse to do a reverse 180. Kagome hollered in excitement as I did.

I set the car into park.

"God, I love these upgrades." I said, turning off the siren and lights.

"Don't ya?" Kagome said, rolling down the window and hanging an arm out.

An angry voice started the both of us. It was coming from Kagome's watch.

"Kagome! What the fuck are you?."

"Out on the test track… why?"

"Cause we've got a call! Get back here and let's go!"

Kagome grumbled. "I'll meet you in the lobby." Then to me. "I'll see you later. You, no doubt have paperwork to do. And don't mind Inu, he's dedicated to the job and isn't much of a people person. You'll grow to love him." She got out as I pulled up to the entrance. She added sadly. "I have." She looked up, a smile back on her face. It scared me a little. "Just park this in your spot in the back lobby. I called the rental car co and they will be here to pick up the rental. Just park it in the forensics garage."

I smiled and said thank you as I pulled out of the test track. I parked the SUV a little behind the rental. Getting out I pulled the rental out of the way before parking the SUV into the spot. I cleaned out the rental and pulled into the forensics lot.

------------------------

1:30 Hours Later

------------------------

I sat at my desk. Typing away at the computer.

Is Inuyasha always so angry? Is it only towards Kagome? Sure, he growled at me but… He doesn't know me as well. He's known her for years… If I were her I wouldn't stand for it more than ten seconds… but I'm not - and she does… but why?

I stopped typing and stole a look at a picture of my old team. Before the incident. I quickly snatched it and tossed it in the trash.

That life is over. A new country, a new life, a new branch. Simple. I won't… can't look back. Not now… not ever.

I heard a crash outside my office followed by Kagome's muffled voice.

"You are impossible!" She yelled.

"Is it my fault that your stupid?! No! And don't yell, it hurts my ears!"

"I'll yell all I want you baka hanyou!"

I sighed, part of the job was solving employee issues. These two were going to be big ones.

I opened the door just as Kagome's slammed shut, leaving Inuyasha standing in the hallway looking like an idiot with his fist balled. He took one look at me. "What?"

I pointed a finger at him. I felt slightly angry, he wouldn't do that if she was KIA.

"You. My office. Now."

He growled but obeyed. When he was in I shut the door and sat in the chair behind my desk. He took the one in front of me.

"What he hell happened?" I stated, hands folded while propped up by elbows on the desk, they hid my mouth. My eyes locked into his.

"It's nothing I can't handle." He said. Squirming under my harsh gaze.

"That is not the answer I was looking for." I said.

"Feh."

I sighed. This wasn't going far.

I stood up and faced another picture. It was of me half leaning and half sitting on the hood of my old squad car. It's lights on and flashing.

"What do you know about me?" I asked.

"What?" He hadn't expected that.

"What do you know about me?" I repeated.

"Only that you came from Hartford then worked in Italy before living in Ireland for a while." He said. Seeming in a stupor about the line of questioning.

"Do you know why I left Hartford?" I said. I could see him shake his head in the reflection of the picture frame.

"Because I lost my entire team in a gun fight. My team, my second - no - only family."

Inuyasha was silent for a moment. "Your only family?" He asked after a moment.

"I was engaged for a little while. She was killed in a revengeful act. Terrorist don't appreciate me much. You know?"

I saw him slant his gaze to the floor. "All too well."

"Ok. Now that we understand each other… how would you feel if Kagome was killed in action?"

He was silent.

"You do know what is said here, stays here." I said, finally turning and sitting on the edge of the desk.

He looked up at me. "Do I have to answer this?"

"Not unless you want to." I said.

He stood up and walked to the door. He paused as his hand touched the knob.

"If we both know how it feels… then you already know the answer to the question." He said, opening the door and leaving. Not caring to shut it on the way out.

I looked at my desk for a moment. Moving a pen and pad off to the side when I realized I had been sitting on it. "Yah.. I understand." I stood up and headed for Kagome's office.

I opened the door. Peeking in. She had her head down on the desk. Visibly shaking a little. Almost like she was crying.

I shut the door quietly and sat in the chair across from here. Looking around the light green office. Covered in pictures of her and her family. Her and other agents. But mostly, of her and Inuyasha. One of Inuyasha only sat on her desk.

She finally realized I was here. "Commander." She said, whipping the tears away. I cringed at the name. "What can I do for you?" She asked, putting on a fake smile.

"Kagome, you don't have to formal with me." I said.

"Ok. But still, what can I do for you?"

I was silent for a moment. "Want to talk about it?"

"Talk about what?" She asked.

"Kagome, you can't fool me. I've seen things like this before. Now, do you want to talk about it?"

She looked down at her desk. "I'm that obvious, huh?"

I smiled with a chuckled. "Just a tad." I said, making a motion with my hands to say `small'.

"It's just that… what am I saying… don't worry about it." She said.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." She said, waving a dismissive hand at me.

"Kagome… what was your previous C&C like?"

"Well. He was a little bossy. Sent us out on his calls. Stock piled us with work. A complete jackass." She said, looking thoughtful.

"Well, I'm not like that. Every chance I get I go out into the field with my agents. I listen to their ideas. If they are too busy I'll help out. I'm more of a friend than a boss really. And - I know we have an office psychologist, but, my office door is always open if you need to talk. Ok?"

She smiled a little. "Thanks. Our OP freaks me out a little. He stares at you when you talk."

I chuckled. "I'll have to meet with him later."

I looked at my watch. "I have an office meeting in a little over half an hour to meet the entire staff in the Demonstration room. How about you and Inuyasha sit where I am? You guys know me well enough - you could help me get to know the others better."

"Sure. Does Inu know yet?"

"Nope."

"Can I be the one to tell him?"

I thought on it. "Sure why not."

I got up and headed for the door. Kagome's voice stopped me. "Bryan?"

"Yah?"

"Thanks. It means a lot - really."

--------------------------------------

"Hello and welcome!" I said, hearing my own voice boom over the large room's PA system. I watched as a man dressed in purple with blue jeans ran into the room and took a seat.

He sat next to a women. She looked over and whispered. "Late as usual, Miroku."

He only smiled back at her.

I cleared my throat. "When ever you two are ready." I said. The women and man, Miroku, blushed. Scattered chuckles now filled the room. After a moment I began.

"Ok - now I know the first few days are going to be confusing. I have some new policies that you may not be used too and you may not like them, and I respect that. You are entitled to your opinion. And of course, I will listen to any complaints personally. I will do my best to make this transition as painless and fast as possible." I took a seat at the desk in the front of the room. Inu and Kagome seated at either side.

"Now, who has some suggestions?" I asked, taking a notepad and pen.

I hand went up in the back of the room. Inuyasha leaned over. "That's Robin. A cat demon with a concealment spell."

I nodded my head before speaking. "Yes, Robin?"

A small female stood up and looked directly at me.

"How do you feel about working with demons? Don't you find it scary?"

I shook my head. "Not at all. I will treat everyone nicely until I find a reason not too. So long as they don't attack me, I have no problem with them."

She nodded before sitting down. Miroku stood up next.

This time Kagome leaned over. "You already herd his name. He comes from a perverted monk background."

Interesting staff.

I nodded and Miroku spoke. "What are your views and the threat of the Shikon no Tama?"

I opened a folder I had in front of me.

"They Jewel of Four souls? I'm afraid I'm not foamier with it."

All the folder had was a name and a picture.

"Well," Miroku began. "My staff have credible intelligence that it has the power to take over the world."

Someone in the back of the room chuckled. "Miroku we don't have time for your silly `it's all over' worries! We have real issues to deal with."

I held my hands up in a `stop' gesture. "Now hold on." I said. "If there is one thing I've learned, it is to trust in instincts of my agents. Let's hear the man out."

"I can't believe this!" She shouted. "Your actually going to pay the fool your mind!"

I leaned over to Inuyasha. "Who is that?"

"Kagura. Little sister to Naraku - another agent."

I nodded. Kagura seemed to be a trouble maker.

"Miroku - please, continue."

"Thank you, sir."

"Lost the sir. Names Bryan."

"Thank you, Bryan. As I was saying. It's a very real threat. Should an evil come to posses it we could be dealing with a far out gang war. It's said to be able to create life over death. You can kill someone just by thinking about it."

Kagura yelled out again. "Oh, please!"

I was starting to get aggravated. "Kagura, if you cannot respect the views of others then please leave."

"With pleasure." She said. Gathering her things and leaving with a snide remark.

"Some of us have real work to do."

I shook my head. "Basicly what your saying is that if a gang or other evil force should come to grasp such an item all of Japan could be in danger?"

"Nope." Miroku said - shaking his head. "All of the world."

I nodded. "Ok. It's a threat. Follow up on it and report your findings directly to me as soon as you get them." Miroku nodded. Sitting down.

I looked around the room. "Is that all?"

A moment later the women next to him - Kagome later identified as Sango - got a weird look on her face.

Both Kagome and Inuyasha lowered the heads and shook them.

"Not again." Kagome whined. I herd a slap. I looked up to see Sango standing over Miroku.

"A problem you too?" I asked.

Sango looked at me. "Sorry. I have to go." She said, hurrying out.

I shook my head as everyone, save for Inuyasha and Kagome, left.

"Slapping women, demons, half demons, perverted monks, and people who I've never seen the likes of before. Oh my." I said, shaking my head.

Inuyasha leaned back in his chair. "Interesting staff, huh?"

I gave him a gap tooth grin. "It gets better doesn't it?"

"Just wait." Kagome said, gathering her things.

All our watched went off at once.

"All field agents. All fiend agents. 2-11 in progress. GPS uploaded. Respond code 3."

I looked up. "Lights."

"Siren." Kagome said.

Inuyasha chuckled. "Action."