InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ STF: Special Task Force : Japan ❯ Officer Down! ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Don't shoot me for this - but in this chapter - the shit hits the fan… and it's at high speed.

--------------------------------

I drove the SUV down the road doing well over eighty. Kagome sat in back, holding on to the bar above her head as we rounded a corner. Inuyasha… well he had his head out the window. Toung hanging out and everything.

I couldn't remember the last time I had worn so much gear. Bullet proof vests, holster, gun strap, radio, everything.

I slammed on the breaks upon seeing the twenty some odd STF vehicles along with the SWAT van and police cars. SWAT stood guard around the area as STF members stood in groups talking among themselves. I got out of the car and looked around.

It was a large food store. A Japanese version of Stop & Shop. I made my way over to the SWAT van.

The commander was at least 31. He stood with authority and precision.

He nodded his hello. "I'm Bryan, the new C&C at STF. I'm sure you know Inuyasha - CNT, and Kagome also CNT."

He nodded again. "So - what do we have?"

"That's just it. No one is sure. The alarm went off when the store was supposedly closed. The camera has only one guy with a rifle, but we haven't seem him in a few hours."

I looked around again. Counting the number of people on site. Kagome had gone off to the side of the van to view the store better. Inuyasha's ears twitched under the hat a little.

"Hard to hear much with all this ambient noise." He said, looking from the store, to Kagome, to me. I only nodded.

His hands flew to his head as the bullhorn turned on.

"This is SWAT. Come out with your hands up! We will not shoot if you are unarmed."

While he was talking I was climbing on top of the van. The sniper rifle in my hand was ready to fire, all I needed was a target. "Hay! Can I get a survey up here!" I called down, taking my eyes off the store for a second.

It was a painful second.

I saw Inuyasha dive towards Kagome. It was all slow motion.

Not again… not again.

He was diving for her. He herd something. I look desperately for the man. I found him crouched in the fire exit doorway right blow one of the large neon letters.

Two gunshots filled the air. Three more followed.

I only stopped shooting when my clip ran out.

I left the rifle on the van, jumping down the 50 foot jump. Landing in a crouching position. Kagome was on the ground, sprawled out under Inuyasha. I threw off my gear quickly.

"Hay, you guys ok?" I asked, checking the pulses of both.

Good, they're still alive. Wait… what's this… blood!

"Who's hit!?" I yelled. Kagome answered. "Not me."

Damn it!

"Get me a fucking medic, right now!" I yelled. Everyone scrambled. "I said right fucking now! Get a damn medic right now before you all get fired!" I yelled.

I was scared… helpless… reliving a nightmare that would probably replay over and over.

We slowly moved Inu off of Kagome. The first thing I did was look for the wound. I found it in the right side of his chest. It had somehow squeezed by the area between the front pad and side pad.

His eyes were open. He was speechless. Kagome hadn't moved, she was in shock.

He started to close his eyes. I slapped his cheek. "Come on, stay with me buddy. It's nothing some big band demon can't handle." They shot wide open and he growled a little in pain.

The ambulance screeched to a stop near us. I watched, helpless, as they loaded him into it.

--------------------------------------------------------------- -

I stood outside the room encased in glass. The bullet had hit some sort of artery. Inuyasha was going to live, but I couldn't stop beating myself up for it.

Damn it. How could I have let this happen? Even after all this team… I still beat myself up over it. I know I need to let go… but every time I get into a firefight it all comes back… should I leave STF… for good? Maybe…

I was snapped out of my thoughts by a hand on my shoulder. "You're doing it again aren't you?" Kagome asked sadly.

I nodded dumbly. "Look. I don't know what it was like for you. I've never had a team to control and I've never lost so many people in one fire fight. But you can't beat yourself up every time someone gets hurt! You know as well as I do that it comes with the job! You carry a weapon. You fire that weapon when fired upon. Your target will get hit, you may get hit, who's not to say possibly killed in battle, but don't beat yourself up for it!"

I looked away from her and back at the sleeping form on the bed.

Maybe it is time to forget it all…