InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ STF: Special Task Force : Japan ❯ More than Seen ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It's been a good week and a half since the store shooting. Inuyasha was recovered and back to his old normal - yet hard working - self. I, of course, felt really bad a bout what had happened and told him so, so many times that he yelled for me to stop.

Anyway, not much had happened in the week he was gone. Just the normal `arrest him' and `protect her'. Nothing new, and nothing that I wasn't already good at. My gun had retained it's ammo in all the cases, which in any case is a good thing.

But I sat there now. The watch plugged into a speaker as I didn't feel like wearing at the moment. I was actually feeling tired from the loss of action over the past week. I looked around my office.

Paperwork? Filed.

Gun? Cleaned and stocked.

Inuyasha? On a leash curtsey of Kagome.

So, what not check my squad and make sure it is stocked. Yah - sure why not?

-------------------------

I sighed as I shut the cargo door of the Liberty. Stocked and ready for a chase. Though soundly footsteps approaching from behind made my hand wanted to snap to my weapon. Though remember that it was a secure lot made me feel slightly embarrassed.

I turned around to find Kagome and Inuyasha staring at me as if I had grown a second head. Kagome shook her head and elbowed Inuyasha for staring. She looked back up and smiled. "It's been such a slow day that we deiced to go out for lunch. What to come?" She asked. I looked from my car, to Inuyasha, and then to Kagome. "Uh, sure. Where you guys going to go?"

"Not too far. A new fast food place opened not too far away. You know cops - fast life-"

"Fast food." Inuyasha finished. "You gonna come or what?"

I nodded. "The new one on 128th and Reedville? Sure, I'll follow you though, just in case."

"In case of what? We haven't had a call all day." Kagome said as Inuyasha nodded and went off to grab his car.

I have to admit, he still made me slightly nervous. Not in a sense of him being half demon. But more in a `what if he is still mad' sense.

But I fought it off and answered the question. "If I have learned one thing, it's the slow days that are most dangerous."

She nodded as Inuyasha pulled up in his squad car, rolling down the window.

"Come on Kags, let's go."

She turned and leaned her head into the car window. "I'm going to ride with Bryan ok?"

He nodded with a quick word I didn't catch before speeding out of the lot.

I started the car as Kagome got in. "You know, he really isn't the type to hold a grudge." She said. I looked over. "That obvious?"

"You hide it well. I'm just a good judge of people. You meet a decent amount and you learn a thing of too."

"Look, you know my past. It's still a little hard seeing one of my own being shot. Yet along someone I consider slightly a friend."

"Oh you do, huh?" She prodded. I told her she would get nowhere by a quick snort. "Ok, but you didn't hear it from me. I think he does to. Though his past makes him weary of new people."

"His past? I have heard little of it. But it sounds like a lot of things to deal with."

"Yah, well, don't tell him I said anything, ok?"

I sighed. "Sure thing. Confidential all the way."

I relaxed at the red light, waiting for it to turn green. I didn't have to wait long. Yet someone decided to run the red on the other side.

And it happened. Not an accident. It. An ability I thought I had seen the last of long ago. I don't know how to explain it at all. It's almost like time slows down only for me. I become something else. My reaction time is brought up greatly. I can see things go through the air in slow motion.

I don't know what causes it. It comes and goes as it pleases, though I hope to one day be able to control it. But when it happens, everything becomes tinted in red. It's just… amazing.

And it was happening now. I could see the speeding car heading for Kagome's door. I could see her turn in shock as it was about to make impact. But it didn't.

I had turned the wheel, hitting the front wheel lock button to swing the car on it's front wheels. Allowing the back of the car to swing completely around in a 180. Everything returned to normal as the speeding car came to a full stop not more than three inches from my headlights.

I took in a deep breath without knowing it. I looked at Kagome who was frozen in fear.

"Late lunch?" She gasped. I didn't answer. I flicked a few switches and the sound of the flashers powering up and dispersing echoed into my ears.

I stepped out and the driver in the car looked at me. He saw the car. "Shit, it's a fucking pig."

I pulled him from the car. "Do you know how lucky you are right now?"

He didn't answer. I click my watch on. "55 David, I need transport for one. C-GPS for location."

"Copy. Unit in route to current location."

"What? You can't arrest me for running a red."

"On the contrary. Federal Officer Endangerment along with drunk driving."

He thought I wouldn't smell it on him.

"Shit." He said as I sat him on the curb.

---------------------------------

"Wow." Inuyasha said as he dipped one of the fires into the small thing of ketchup.

"I'll say, I thought I was a goner. What the hell happened, Bryan? You were really fast and your eyes seemed red."

"Fast on my feet." I lied.

Inuyasha knew it. "Don't give me that. I've known it since day one that there was something different about you. Now granted, I'm glad you saved Kagome's life." Kagome blushed. "But, I want to know how."

I sighed. "Where's your guns?"

"Hidden under our jackets." Kagome said. "Don't change the subject." She added.

"Ok. It started back in Hartford. Don't ask me what it is because I'm not sure. All I know is that time slows down and the vision is tinted in red. I think faster, act quicker, I can even perform moves I couldn't before. The only hand-to-hand I have ever had in my life was basic defense and disarm. Well, one time back at the old base I was in a hostage situation. One guy, armed to the T with everything. I had one down and I was sure I was going to have another."

I shuddered reliving the memory.

"I placed myself as the next target. Getting him to call me up to be shot. When I got there, it happened. The vision, time, everything. Before I knew it I was doing some form of hand-to-hand combat. Karate or something like it. My hands acted as I wanted them. Everything, it was almost like in the movies - you know, well placed hits and near misses. That's how it happened. A little over a week later I visited my doctor and asked him. He didn't know what to think. I saw a shrink. She told me it could be some sort of defense mechanism. She called it Slow-dodge. Since then I have developed two new forms of it that I now call Shoot Dodge and Bullet time."

"Bullet time? Sounds like a song." Kagome said.

"Yah, well, if Bullets play the drums or something maybe. In both weird things happen. The only way I can tell which one I'm in is what color it's tinted. Blue it Shoot dodge and green is bullet time."

"Well… I'm not sure what to say." Kagome said. I only sighed.

"I do," Inuyasha said. "it sounds like an old demon myth I know. Big dog demon before I was around had been known to slow down time in order to dodge attacks. It had three different levels depending on the type of attack."

"So? It's not like he's a demon." Kagome said. I nodded.

"It could be a possibility that he's a dormant half demon."

"Dormant half demon?" I asked. "Now you've lost me."

Inuyasha put down his drink and completely explained the situation.

"A dormant half demon is almost like me. He or she looks completely human and has no knowledge of the demonic traits. But, when there is a threat of danger, the power takes over. In your case, the ability to slow down time and such."

I blinked. He said that like it was nothing. "Of course you could just be gifted." He added.

"Wait, but dormant means not active. Is it possible to be a full half demon?"

He shrugged. "Don't know. If I can become full demon from time to time I don't see why not."

Kagome looked at me. "Have you ever had some sort of mysterious happening that you couldn't explain?"

I didn't get a chance to answer. Inuyasha tipped his cup of soda over just trying to get a better look.

"Kagome get down." He said.

"What? Why?"

"Remember when I said if that person's life is in danger the eyes change?"

"Yah… they're red!"

I was confused as I watched the glass to the far right shatter and three bullets coming from it, in my direction. It didn't take much to dodge them in my state.

---------------------------------------------------------

3rd Person

---------------------------------------------------------

A news van sat outside of the fast food place as police set up barricades. STF, SWAT, and other such organizations were on the scene.

"This is Lian Xing reporting for JLN. We're here live outside of a hostage negotiation. Four terrorists have taken hostage-"

She didn't get to finish her sentence as three shots rang out, followed by a quick machine gun blast and two more gunshots.

"It appears some sort of fire fight has happened inside of the restaurant! Hostages are now fleeing to the police and three figures seems to be standing. They appear to have handguns trained on four fallen people. Who are these mysterious people?"

A nearby SWAT van answered her question with it's loaded speakers.

`STF 55 David BCC on Tactical Unit Mode 1. 2-11 in Progress is code 4. Three DOA and one in need of a medic. 10-8.'

`55 David what is your 20?'

`Inside. Got taken hostage myself.'

The news reporter stands back up, pressing out the creases in her uniform. "It appears that the terrorists had taken three STF agents hostage. It's a bad day for terrorists everywhere as STF is the best known defense against them. Though who the agents are, is yet to be seen. This is Lian for JLN, singing off. Good night!"

---------------------

The ability for your body to save itself can be amazing. From time to time, time will slow down and you can dodge on coming death. But what happens ifdeath gets the upper hand? No one ever lived to tell how that tale ends. - "L420" December 8th1999