InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ STF: Special Task Force : Japan ❯ Attacked! ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Hope you weren't expecting much this time guys. I've been grounded. But, I do have enough time for this filler. Last chap someone wanted some Inu/Kag fluff, so I figured, sure, why not?

---------------------------------

I woke up on a couch after falling asleep on the ride to Inu's house. I small amount of weight on the other side told me someone - judging by the weight, Kagome - was sitting next to me.

The sound of fists landing made me open my eyes to see Inuyasha training with some sort of punching bag. His quiet chanting of `Right. Left. High. Right. Right. Low. Left.' Was all that could be herd in the room.

Music slightly blasting from the next room over could be heard as well. My guess is because of his hearing.

I groaned sitting up and Kagome looked over. Inuyasha paid no mind to me.

"Look who's awake. It's only been three hours." She said.

"It took a lot of energy out of him. I surprised he didn't sleep a lot longer." Inuyasha said, still practicing his hand to hand combat.

Inuyasha stopped training after a moment and wiped his hands and forehead of sweat. He then did a low pitched whistle and the music immediately stopped.

I stood up and stretched. "So now what?" I asked.

"Well, we're going to have to drive Kagome to her place to grab some things. No doubt BS is all done checking for collateral explosives. Then we need to head to your place." Inuyasha said.

"To drop me of, got it."

"No, your packing too." Kagome said.

Well this is new. I thought, changing the direction of my gaze from Inuyasha to Kagome, then back. "What?"

"Well, Inuyasha thinks that you need to learn to control the demon in you. And only god knows when it wishes to make itself known. So therefore-"

"I think it's best I'm always around to make sure you keep in check." Inuyasha finished.

I nodded dumbly. I could clearly see his point - though being told that I was going to move in was something I didn't take kindly to, none the less, I followed them out into the car.

-----------------

I sighed as I set my bags down in the guest bedroom. It was oh-so-clear as well that Inuyasha and Kagome were fighting over him sleeping on the couch and her getting his bed.

"Oh, come on Kagome, it's not like it's that bad!" Was his argument.

"Come on Inuyasha, sleep in your bed. I can take the couch." She said, way calmer than he was. Though her fresh breath of water didn't cool the flames of the hot headed hanyou. "You will sleep in my bed, I will have the couch and that - is - final!"

I leaned on the door frame as Inuyasha turned to leave. Kagome just stood there.

"You know, I could always take the couch. That way, you both can get what you want."

"Oh, not you too." Inuyasha groaned, then threw his hands up in the air in defeat. Kagome seemed surprised, to say the least. "Fine! Fine! Do what ever you want, I'm going to take a shower, eat dinner and go to sleep!" And he stormed off, leaving me and Kagome in the hallway.

"You didn't have to do that, you know." Kagome said, quietly.

"Sure I did. I hate to see you guys fight so much."

"It's his way of showing how he cares."

"Well if that's the case, then he must care a whole lot." I said, scratching my head as I gathered up the bags I had just set down. Dropping the by the couch I sat down, rolling my arms out along the back of it.

"Thank you." Kagome said quietly.

"It's fine. I like sleeping on the couch anyway." I answered.

"No, that's not what I meant. For before. You weren't here long enough to know Koga, but he's a great shot and an even better bomb builder. How you managed to dodge the shot, Inuyasha told me but I still find it… unreal. I mean, I've seen my share of things. We even have same agents with special abilities, but… slowing down time? It's something new."

She sat back. I looked at her as the sun slowly set through the window. Casting an orange grazing on her face. "You know, deep down I know he really cares. That he's rough and tough on the outside, but… he's just over protective." She then added with a chuckle. "Ok, a little more than over."

I nodded and got up to look at a picture that had caught my attention. Inu and Kag stood next to each other. Inuyasha had a berretta in his hand, pointed to the sky.

"Right after our first mission. You should of seen it."

I nodded again, thinking back to my old beat.

A voice of one of my dead officers came into my mind. Nikki. Always the first in and the last one out until that last mission… during the ambush. Ever since there everywhere I went I felt guided somehow.

Every now and than her voice in my head kept me aware.

Even now…

It's not safe where you are now

Run away, run away, find a better home

That sing-song voice inside my head.

Find a shield and your golden sword.

Fly away, fly away, fly away home.

As always a message was layed out clear to me.

It's not safe here. But who knows? Not the Third Eye. We killed them a long time ago. Must be a new threat. But who?

"Kagome, go and get Inuyasha, then your stuff. It isn't safe here." I said, not turning around as I checked my weapon.

Ten shots. Eleven to a clip. One extra clip. Twenty-one.

"I can't even take a fucking shower in my own house without shit happening."

Yup, he is pissed.

"Now what the hell is going on?!"

"Someone is coming. I can fell it. We need to leave now."

"Oh no we don't!" Inuyasha protested. Only to have a rock thrown through his window.

"Ok… maybe we do…"

-------------

I steadied my rifle as I sat on the roof of my car. Waiting for them to finish loading the cargo, ready for anyone to approach us.

They finished and I climbed into the driver's seat through the sun roof. Jamming the car into drive, the first round of bullets hit my rear end.

I sped off while Inuyasha fired off shots into the vehicles chasing us.

"I count three!" Kagome said, firing off a shot.

I felt the shaking boom as Inuyasha shot out the front left tire of one of the cars, forcing it to crash into the car next to it, causing yet another chain reaction. The cars flipped and exploded, leaving one more.

This one started to return fire. I heard a quick gasp and all shots from my car ceased to ring out. I checked my mirror quickly, blood.

Shit, who is it?

"Speed up damn it!"

Shit, Kagome's been hit. Can't go to a hospital…

I was hoping more than anything at that moment for the gift to kick in.

Why isn't it working? Lives are in danger and I'm useless. Come on, you've done this before… why won't it work now? And where did the voice go to?

"Just duck down." I said. God I hope this works… I've done it before… but time was slow then.

I went for it. Go for broke at this point. I locked the front tires and swung the car around, jamming it into reverse and speeding down the street. A quick glance and I hit another switch.

9mm chain guns appeared from under my hood.

Never had these in Hartford. I thought, pressing a red button on the steering wheel. The fired rapidly and I watched as the driver's head snapped back and the car did a sudden swerve into the guard rail.

I stopped the car quickly as the other car teetered over the edge of the river embankment.

Life is something I don't take lightly. Suspects, Officers, Friends, myself. It all matters somehow. You just need to look for it.

And right now, our lives hung by that car going over the edge.

My weapon drawn I approached from the right side. Slowly. The driver was dead, no doubt about it. But the other suspect, the shooter; he was still in there. Passed out or dead, I didn't know.

The only other person was slumped over in the back seat. His head hung lightly until his hand snapped up with a weapon and a wicked grin came on his face.

He didn't get a chance to fire. I had long noticed the loose rocks that held him in place. One bullet in the right area would end it for him. One bullet was all it took.

One bullet is what I fired.

The large rumbling of the river drowned out the final shot. Only to be followed by a splash. I finally realized that I was panting. My weapon stayed steady, deadly within my own hands.

The only thing that snapped me out of it was Inuyasha's very angry voice.

"Come on! We need to get her to a hospital!"

I sat in the driver seat, quickly spinning the car around and heading off towards my place.

"The hospital is that way, dumb ass!"

"We can't go there." I mumbled. Paying close attention to the road.

"She needs to see a doctor!"

"Look, we don't know who is after us! It is unsafe to do anything as of yet. Where is she hit?"

"Right shoulder! And what do you mean it isn't safe! She could die!"

"Inuyasha, listen to the man." Kagome said weakly.

"Kagome…"

"Just shut up and listen." She said again.

"Hold on!" I yelled, taking a tight corner in a four way. Hoping to dear got that my lights and siren would get unsuspecting people out of the way.

I've learned many things over my years on the job. One of which is that your house needs to have everything. You never know what is going to happen.

I had mine built before I came here. Though it was a little late getting into it. It has an armory, medical room stock to the "T", tons and tons of things I can all use when I need it.

And I was going to need it.

I slammed on the breaks right outside the gate. Sliding the key card through it and speeding past them once again.

"Come on, this way!" I said, leading a Kagome carrying Inuyasha through my house and down to the medical area.

"Out her on the table." I pointed to it. She hadn't even hit the table before I had called STF.

While it was ringing, I told Inuyasha what to do next. "Ok, we need to help clotting until I can get someone here." I said, tossing him a giant roll of towels that I had just washed. "Apply pressure until I get someone."

"STF, Intel, Miroku here, how can I help you?"

"Miroku, it's Bryan. Look, I need you to come to this address, grab Sango and someone from medical department."

"Alright, I've got your address right here. What's going on?"

"Someone has been shot. Need you guys here, ASAP."

"Alright! Where on our way!"

--------

The person that Miroku brought along with him, Drake, exited the medical room, whipping a towel across his forehead. "Alright, she's stable. Some rest and she'll be back to normal in time. I'm due back at work. I'll see you guys."

I nodded, setting my cup down. I looked over at Inuyasha who still sat in the corner, staring at the door. I then looked over at Miroku. "I have been meaning to meet with you guys on a one-on-one basis, but I didn't want to do it like this."

Sango nodded, petting her cat. "Same here. Though I have heard you keep a cool head in heated situations."

"Yah, I've seen my fair share."

"Yes, that may be true. But I have read your record and it seems you have been in more fire frights than all of us combined. It truly is amazing." Miroku added onto Sango's statement.

I nodded and opened my mouth to say something, but closed it when Inuyasha suddenly stood up. Walking on shaking legs - he made his way towards the swinging doors, and into Kagome's room.

--------------

3rd Person - With Kagome and Inuyasha

--------------

Kagome wasn't sleeping. She was very awake and very aware of the pain in her shoulder. It was dulled thanks to the medication, but she was still aware none the less.

She heard the door open and didn't bother to look. She kept her eyes closed, hoping whoever it was would go away right now - she wasn't in the mood for visitors.

When she heard the chair squeak across the floor she knew this person wasn't going to go away. Yet, she stayed silent.

She felt the eyes prying at her. The stuttering breaths of the person in the room. Almost like he was crying.

Who could it be? I can't be Inuyasha… he would never cry.

"Damn it, how could I have let this happen to you." He whispered. Kagome's breath caught in her throat.

How can this be?

A light chuckle came from him. "I still remember the first time I was shot. You stayed by my bedside the whole week. Slept there, ate there, played blackjack with me. And the tables have turned now… but it's not like it was with me. It takes more than a simple bullet to take me out… your human… you could of lost too much blood… your blood… I hate the scent so much. Every time I smell it I begin to panic. Gods Kagome, you have no clue what you mean to me… if you ever died without knowing that I never meant any of the bad things I've said… hell if you died at all…"

He couldn't finish the sentence. The thought of losing Kagome was just to much to bear. Bryan had been right - and he hated that fact.

Kagome still stayed still, wondering if he was going to say anything else. She was a little disappointed when she thought that he wasn't. What came next was a big surprise.

A very low voice, so low that Kagome could hear it just enough to know what it said.

"If you died and I never got the chance to tell you… I love you."

She struggled to keep her eyes from opening. She heard the chair move back and him stand up. "God, I feel so stupid right now. I'm going to go grab a bite to eat."

Kagome knew her chance was leaving… she needed to take it, now.

"Wait." She gasped out, watching him. He stopped dead in his tracks. Turning on the balls of his heel.

"Inuyasha… I never knew…" He took his seat again. "And I have to tell you… I… I love you too."

He gave her a small fang bearing grin, leaning down to wrap his arms around her - weary of her wounds.

Her right had found it's way around his back while the left made a trip to his ear.

"You've don't know how long I've waited to hold you like this." She half whispered and half cried in happiness to him.