InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - Sesshomaru and Rin do not belong to me, but to the wonderful Rumiko Takahashi. The rest of the characters you see in this story do belong to me, however.

A/N - Okay, here is the second full chapter for this story. This is the last one I'm going to be posting for a while, so make sure to leave me a review (or email me) and tell me if you guys think it is worth continuing.

Later,

A.A.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teaching Rin

Chapter 2

Two days had passed since Rin had gotten to speak with Kaida. The meetings kept Sesshomaru away for the majority of the time, so she did not get to see him very often, except for during mealtimes. Rin had been introduced to many people since arriving at the Southern Lord's castle, mostly the sons and daughters of the other nobles. Some of them she liked, some of them she didn't, and a few of them she just wanted to strangle. Two of the people in the last category were Kaida and the younger son of Lord Ronin and Lady Yoshe of the Eastern Lands, a young fox demon named Kentaro.

Kaida, as Rin had soon been told upon arrival at the Southern Lands, was the mysterious third and youngest daughter of Lord Ryu. Well, Rin was quite upset at having the wool pulled over her eyes like that. Seiko had explained that although Kaida knew of her duties as one of the lord's daughters, she preferred her life as a soldier and general of the armies. Rin had decided that if one of Ryu's daughters had to be her teacher, then she wanted Kaida, seeing as how the initial meeting with Leiko and Kei had been more than just a little tense. Rin could tell almost immediately that the two full blooded demonesses hated the idea of instructing her in anything that did not involve her falling off of a cliff. The only problem was that she had a vague feeling that Kaida would not want to give up her position and become a teacher. 'Maybe once I talk to Sesshomaru, he can convince her to come with us.' Rin thought.

Lord Ronin's son Kentaro, however, was another problem. The kitsune was the youngest of the Eastern family, and probably the most mischievous. He had long brown hair and piercing blue eyes that sparkled with secrets. He was a perfect gentleman to all the ladies around him, even his older sisters, and Rin felt uncomfortable from the way he treated her. She was not used to a person with such a flirtatious nature, and he kind of scared her. But he was friendly, and willing to help make Rin more comfortable around the other nobles.

Upon meeting the young kitsune at dinner the first night, Rin had tried to hide in the background. The young demon, however, had other ideas and made it a point to pull Rin into the conversations surrounding them after the nobles had left. He had finally figured out that Rin was not shy, just nervous to be around all of them. The wily fox had pulled her away from Leiko and Kei, her obvious cause of worry, and tried to find out if there was anything he could do to help.

Flashback

"Are you okay, Lady Rin?" The kitsune lord had asked, pulling her away from the group of demons. "You do not seem like the type to be so quiet and reserved."

"I am fine, lord Kentaro." she said quickly. "I just think it is time I left you and retired for the night."

"It is still early, yet, lady." he said, glancing out the window. "And you can call me Kentaro. Please stay with us a little longer."

"I'm afraid I must go." Rin insisted. "I...I don't belong here, with the other noble's children."

"Why do you say that?" The blue-eyed kit questioned. "You are the ward of Sesshomaru. As such, you hold just as much status as the rest of us. Well, more actually, considering you are the only child under his care."

"You don't understand. I'm a human." she said, shaking her head. "I don' t belong here."

"What's your point?" he asked, grinning at her. "Blood is not everything around here. It's how you present yourself that is the true test. If you let your fear be obvious, people like Leiko and Kei will pounce on it and tear you to shreds."

"Easy for you to say." she mumbled. "You don't have nay human blood in you."

"Kaida does, and you see the way she handles her sisters." Kentaro had answered. "She gives as good as she gets, even better if I do say so myself."

"Kaida isn't full blooded?"

"No, her mother was a hanyou. Neither she, nor her twin Keiji, are full blooded demons." he explained. "They are only three-quarters demon."

"Why am I always the last to know this stuff?" Rin ground out, her head in her hands."

"Don't worry with it, Lady." he said with a smile. "You will figure it all out before long, and then wish that you had not." Rin smiled and chuckled, squaring her shoulders for the reentrance into the room. Kentaro had convinced her that she could do this. She would prove she was just as capable of making Sesshomaru proud as the rest of the sons and daughters were.

"Are you sure about this?" she asked one last time.

"Yeah." he smiled. "I'll stay right beside you, if it makes you feel better."

"I wouldn't want to impose, or keep you away from your duties." Rin said quickly.

"I'll be fine." The young demon said, opening the door. "My older brother Hoshi is taking care of any 'duties' we might need. As for imposing, I can't thing of any many, human or demon, who would not like to have such a lovely lady by his side for the evening." Rin had blushed profusely at the unexpected, but not at all unwelcome, comment as the kitsune placed his hand tightly on her waist to guide her off towards the group they had vacated earlier."

End Flashback

Kentaro had made good on his word, and escorted Rin back to the ballroom, staying beside her for the rest of the night, and keeping Leiko and Kei at bay with some smart remarks of his own for Rin's defense. It had worked, and by the time the ruling nobles had returned a few hours later, Rin had loosened up a little due to the kits continued presence.

Sesshomaru had entered into the ballroom, along with the other nobles and quickly spotted Rin and Kentaro dancing around the floor with the other couples. He sat at the Head table along with the other lords and ladies, quietly watching Rin as she interacted with the other nobility. Her joyfulness was evident as she mingled with the Eastern lord's youngest son, and the two daughters. She even managed to strike up a conversation with Kiyoshi, the cat demon from the Northern Lands. Sesshomaru also noticed that she seemed to pull within herself as Leiko and Kei spoke with her. Though their conversation was brief, Sesshomaru noticed how Rin seemed to tense up with anger and indignation. 'I shall find why she recoils from Ryu's daughters.' he thought as Kentaro rescued her from the two sisters an took her to her rightful place among the tables. 'One of those females will be her instructor. She will learn nothing if she is terrified of them.' He resolved to speak with her the next morning.

As such, he had summoned Rin into the gardens the next morning to find out why she was so wary of the Southern demonesses.

"Rin, I need to speak with you." he said as they walked through the blooming flowers.

"Yes, my lord?" Rin questioned. "Is something the matter?"

"I wish to know your choice for an instructor." he said calmly. "I must speak with Ryu soon, and I want to know which one you have chosen." Rin was quiet for a moment, wondering how to answer her guardian.

"I want lady Kaida to teach me." she said finally, looking up at the cold demon in front of her.

"She in not an option." He said, frowning slightly. "She is a General in Ryu's army, not fit to be the instructor you need."

"But Leiko and Kei hate anyone with human blood in them." Rin protested. "At least Kaida does not mind me being human."

"Who told you that?" Sesshomaru asked.

"Kentaro."

"The Eastern Lord's son?"

"Yes, my lord." Rin asked. "He told me that during the meeting last night when you left, right before dinner. Leiko and Kei had their fun demeaning me because I was not demon." Sesshomaru watched the young girl carefully, searching for any sign that she might be lying to him. Upon finding no trace of dishonesty, he frowned again. He knew Ryu's youngest daughter only through rumors that fled through the demon royal courts, and his meeting with the accompaniment party two days earlier.

She was an independent soul, and one of the top ranked officers in Ryu's standing army, specializing in sword technique, and hand to hand combat. She was rumored to be as cod hearted as himself while on the battle field, and he had seen the proof of her prowess with his own eyes during the attack on the traveling party. Even with such a reputation, Sesshomaru had seen a more amicable side to the young woman while she had conversed with Rin before and after the attack. 'A warrior she may be.' he thought. 'But Rin is a child, and her basic female instincts would not allow Rin to be harmed as long as she was around.'

"My lord?" Rin asked, bringing the demon out of his musings. The Western taiyoukai looked down at Rin, his emotionless mask in place once again.

"I have a meeting to attend." he said. "I will speak with Ryu about acquiring you an instructor."

"Will it be Kaida?" Rin asked hopefully.

"I am not sure." he said, walking away and leaving the human girl to stare at his retreating back

At the same time in the dojo...

Kaida finished the last few movements of her kata as she heard the door to the dojo open to admit someone. Without looking back towards the door, she expanded her sensed, searching out the new arrival as she put her practice sword back on the wall mount. When she recognized the aura as that of Kiyoshi, she growled in frustration. 'I don't feel like putting up with him right now!' she thought angrily. 'Can't he take a hint? I don't want him around!'

She grabbed a towel and wiped the sweat off of her face. She also grabbed one of the battle fans off of the table and inconspicuously slipped it into the sleeve of her haori, feeling the slight click as it fell into the wrist holster she had designed.

"Kiyoshi." she acknowledged, turning around to face the haughty neko lord. "What are you doing here? It is common knowledge that I do not like to be interrupted during my training." The young lord only snickered and walked towards her. Kaida took her time to assess the young demon that was to be her mate. He was taller than her, at about six fee three inches compared to her slight five foot six inch frame. His platinum blonde hair was cut short and spiked. There were two thin braids on each side of the nape of his neck, a sign of her status. He red, cat-like eyes bored into her, causing her defensive walls to rise higher than normal. Right now, the proud lord wore only the black hakamas and the dark blue haori he trained in. He was barefoot, and there was a katana at his side.

"Lady Kaida, I was simply wondering where you had went." he said smoothly, sidling up beside her a learning against the table. "Your father was concerned when you did not show up at breakfast. He sent me to retrieve you for this morning's strategic tactics meeting."

"My father knew of my whereabouts. Besides, I wrote the material FOR the tactical meeting. I already know what it says." she said crisply. "Try another lie. You might get a little closer to the truth this time." Kaida's limited patience with the devious demon was running short.

"Aww. Have a bad night's sleep, love?" he said, running his finger down her face. "You should come to me. I could have made sure you slept well."

"Get your filthy paws off of me." she growled slapping his had away from her face. Kiyoshi smirked and quickly pulled her back to him, pining her against a wall with one of his hands securely gripping hers above their heads.

"I'll put my filthy paws on you when I see fit, Kaida." he sneered. "We will soon be mated, and you will bow down to my every whim, just like a proper mate should."

"Let me go, you arrogant bastard, before I really get angry!" Kaida yelled. Kiyoshi only smiled and put his other hand around her wait, pulling their lower bodies into contact. Kaida growled and wished he would just go away.

"That's right, my little dragon beauty, get angry with me. Get so furious that you just want to tear me apart." he coaxed, watching as the demoness squirmed beneath him, obviously trying to withhold her surging anger.

"You sick bastard..." she muttered. "I won't be one of your personal whores!"

"But you won't strike me either, will you, my fierce little dragon?" he taunted, finally letting go of her wrists, and turning his back on her.

"I wouldn't be so sure of myself, if I were you." Kaida snarled.

"You won't risk the wrath of your father by striking me." The neko demon said. "You fear him, as you will soon learn to fear me." Kaida growled at the blatant insult as her temper reached its breaking point. Before Kiyoshi knew what had hit him, Kaida charged the young demon, knocking his feet out from under him and flicking her wrist to release the battle fan from its holster.

Kiyoshi, caught completely off guard by her attack, actually gulped as he felt the thin, sharp razor blades at his throat. He looked up at the demoness above him, taking in the jade colored flames emitted from within her eyes, and the strident sneer on her face.

"Fear him?" she questioned, pushing the deadly fan into his throat, causing blood to trickle out of the cuts. "Fear him? I fear no man walking this Earth. I respect my father and love him dearly, just like my brothers. But I do not fear them. And I will never fear you, no matter what you do or say." She growled and pushed the fan into his throat again, daring him to defy her, and her hate for him. "As for this ridiculous arranged marriage, I will find a way out of it, or I will kill you myself. Our mothers may have wished us joined, but my mother is no longer alive. So, if you value your life, I suggest you stay as far away from me and the Southern Lands as you possibly can. Because if you don't, I will put a bounty on your sorry head, and come after you myself."

"You wouldn't dare!" Kiyoshi said. "My father..."

"Your father would never find out." Kaida growled. "You forget that there are plenty of swamps around here, that your body could never be found in should I ever feel the sudden inclination to kill you, and then hide the body." Her senses suddenly flared as she sensed someone approaching the dojo at a rapid pace. She hissed at Kiyoshi one last time and got off of him, pulling the deadly silk fan from his bloodies throat.

Kiyoshi glared at the demoness over him as she got off of him. He had pushed her too far this time, and he knew it. He wanted to break her spirit, subdue her into a harmless version of the proud woman she was, not get himself killed. When he got to his feet, he heard the approaching footsteps of someone else into the dojo. Before he could rid himself of the blood on his clothes and neck, Lord Ryu's commanding presence stood in the doorway.

"Kiyoshi? Kaida?" he questioned, immediately taking in the blood on the young lord's clothing. "What is going on here?"

"Hello, father." Kaida said, turning to the man in the doorway, her hands empty of the fan. "Is something the matter?"

"We were sparring, my lord." Kiyoshi said, lying quite well. "It seems as though Kaida's prowess has grown since I last saw her. She will make a strong addition to my family when we mate. Ryu caught the low growl from his daughter and nodded, seemingly agreeing with the young neko.

"I agree." he said. "However, I must interrupt your spar, as Lord Haruto request our presence at this moment." Kiyoshi nodded walked out of the dojo, heading for the main castle. Ryu waited until Kiyoshi was well out of hearing range before turning to his daughter, a frown upon his face.

"Kaida, you know..." he said gravely.

"I know, father." she said, facing the Southern taiyoukai. "You have already warned me about him." Ryu nodded and shook his head, leaving his daughter in the dojo in order to attend to the meeting. Kaida continued to stare at the wall until she was sure that her father was out of sight and hearing range before flicking her wrist and once again opening the bloodied fan. "You have nothing to tell me now that I have not already heard. I know Kiyoshi and I are bound to the union because of mother and Lady Koto." She looked out the nearby window and frowned, snapping the fan shut once again and placing it on a table. "But that does not mean I have to like it!"

Later that evening, Sesshomaru and Rin were in the dining room, speaking with Lord Ronin when Lord Ryu and his family came in. As it had been since the first night they arrived, no one ate until Ryu and his family sat down. Rin took her position beside Sesshomaru and looked at the ruling family as they entered. As usual, Ryu came in, following by his sons, then his daughters. Rin practically squealed in delight when her eyes landed on a very different looking Kaida.

The youngest sister was clothed in a deep ivory colored kimono that was decorated that a swirling green dragon on the back. Her hair was left down, cascading in soft layers down her back. Compared to the other two daughters, Kaida was definitely the prettiest as far as Rin was concerned. Her face was heart shaped and her skin was tanned due to her constant outside endeavors, much different from her sister's more angular, light skinned faces. Leiko and Kei were full blooded demons, and as such, showed more of their draconic features, such as pointed ears, reptilian eyes, and a small patch of scales on each side of their face, right along their temple. Although Kaida's features were similar, they were down played because of her human blood. The only direct mark to her draconic heritage was her fangs and slightly pointed ears. There were no scale markings on her, but everyone knew who she was due to her military activities.

"Lord Sesshomaru?" Rin asked cautiously. "Have you spoken with Lord Ryu about getting Kaida as my instructor?"

"I am going to speak with him soon." The demon lord answered.

"Yes, my lord." Rin said happily, watching Kaida and trying to catch her attention. After the had been seated, Kaida looked across the hall, spotting Rin beside the Western taiyoukai. The little girl seemed to be squirming in her seat, until Sesshomaru said something to her, and she calmed down. Kaida smiled and winked at the young girl before turning to her dinner.

"Are you fooling with that little human wench of Sesshomaru's?" Leiko asked from her side.

"I am merely acknowledging her presence." Kaida said coldly. "Although if I were you, sister, I would hold my tongue. One of you two are to be the girl's teacher."

"Ah, yes." Kei said with a smile. "One of us will be living with the great Sesshomaru. Teaching the girl will be no problem. She seems like such a simpleton. No problem in our plans."

"Plans?" Kaida asked. "What plans?"

"It is nothing you would understand, half-breed!" Leiko hissed. Kaida just shook her head at the worn out insult.

"Whatever." Kaida said. "Your problem, not mine."

You seem so disinterested in Sesshomaru." Kei said. "He is a very powerful and sought after lord, don't you think he would be a worthwhile addition to our family? He would make a powerful ally and mate."

"Sounds like you two are on the hunt for a mate." Kaida mumbled.

"Wouldn't you take him if you could?" Leiko questioned. "If you weren't already tied to Kiyoshi, of course."

"I could care less about Sesshomaru and taking a mate." Kaida said pointedly. "And as for Kiyoshi, you could take that spoiled cat and drown him in a river for all I care." The two sisters snickered and continued to eat, completely drooping the subject of Sesshomaru. The rest of the dinner went by quickly, and Ryu soon called dinner to an end, allowing for his guests to disperse. Rin took the advantage and quickly left Sesshomaru's side and went to Kaida.

"Lady Kaida?" she asked politely. "How are you?" Rin smiled as the woman turned around and grinned.

"Lady Rin." she said. "How have you been? I am so sorry for not speaking with you for so long. My father has kept me quite busy. Are you enjoying your stay here?"

"Oh, yes, Lady." Rin said happily. "I have been most comfortable."

"Call me Kaida, Rin." the demoness said. "I don't like the titles. So, have you been in the garden maze I told you about?"

"I have, but I can't get through it." Rin grumbled. "I keep getting stuck."

"You will find your way. It took me quite a while before I figured it out. Even now I get lost still." Kaida said with a smile. "Have you chosen your instructor yet? Leiko and Kei have told me nothing."

"I have chosen." Rin smiled. "We just have to get Lord Ryu's approval. Sesshomaru is to speak with him in a few moments."

"I'm sure which ever one of them you chose, you will be happy with." Kaida said.

"I will be. I just hope she does not mind me being the cause of pulling her away from her home. I do not want her to angry with me."

"I'm sure she won't mind at...." Kaida began, but was interrupted by Kentaro's voice.

"Lady Rin!" Came Kentaro's voice. The two women turned to see the blue eyed kitsune walking towards them, a smile in her face.

"Lord Kentaro." Kaida said, nodding to him. "How have you been."

"I am well, Kaida." He answered, turning to her. "How have you been? The last hunt go well, I hope?"

"Quite well, as a matter of fact." Kaida said. "What can I help you with?"

"I was searching for Rin, actually." he said. "It seems as though Jaken is searching for her."

"Thank you, Kentaro." Rin said shyly. She turned back to Kaida and smiled. "I must be going, Kaida, before Lord Sesshomaru comes looking for me. It was nice talking to you though."

"Rin?" came a cold voice from behind the group.

"Uh-oh. He found me." Rin mumbled, turning to look at the emotionless face that was Sesshomaru. "Yes, my lord?"

"I am going to speak with Ryu now about your teacher." he said, his calculating eyes never leaving Kaida. "Are you sure you want her? Because I refuse to change once she comes with us?"

"Absolutely positive, my lord." Rin said with a smile. "She's the one I want."

"So be it then." Sesshomaru said. "I will send Jaken to take you to your quarters momentarily." With that final comment, he walked off into the crowd.

"Geesh, how do you survive with that man?" Kentaro asked, wiping his forehead. "Not even my father is that cold."

"He's not really all that bad." Rin said, coming to her guardian's defense. "Not all the time, anyway."

"Well, there is no point in sitting her discussing Sesshomaru's more...optimistic...merits." Kaida said with a slight grin. "I do believe I see Jaken coming, Lady Rin. So, I bid you goodnight." Rin nodded, but frowned as Jaken pushed his way through the crowed.

"Rin!" he screeched. "Let's go, human. My master has ordered me to take you to your quarters!" Rin nodded and turned to her friends.

"I bid you both good evening, Kaida, Kentaro." Jaken grumbled something about 'stupid, human wenches' and Kaida felt Kentaro's aura flare up in anger.

"Do you mind if I accompany you, Lady?" he asked sweetly. "My quarters are on the way, and I'd like to discuss a few more things with you before you retire for the evening." Rin nodded and Kentaro extended his arm, allowing Rin to take it. Jaken huffed and walked in front of the two, thoroughly irritated by the demon lord and Rin.

"Let's go." Jaken grumbled imperiously. "The sooner I get that annoying girl to her room, the quicker I can go to my maters' side and find out what is...AHH-MPH!" Kaida quickly looked back as she herd the toad's scream. It appeared as though Kentaro had stepped on the toad's robes, causing Jaken to fall. Kentaro then proceeded to stop on Jaken as he walked by, completely engrossed in talking to Rin. Jaken was now lying in a crumpled heap on the floor.

Rin was by his side on her knees, trying to help Jaken up while Kentaro stood back, arms crossed and an evil grin on his face.

"Are you okay, master Jaken?" Rin asked, her face full of nothing but concern for the little demon.

"Yes, are you okay, Jaken?" Kentaro asked as Rin helped the creature to his feet. She then took off to find a damp cloth to wipe his face off. Jaken was grumbling the whole time and snatched his two headed staff from Kentaro's outstretched hand.

"It would be prudent not hold you tongue and refrain from name calling Lady Rin, you arrogant little runt!" Kentaro said, kneeling down in front of Jaken with the pretense of dusting some dirt off his robes. "If you don't, I will be forced to speak with Sesshomaru about your uncouth behavior and language around his ward!" Kentaro stood up as Rin came back into view, holding a wet cloth and placing it on Jaken's face. The toad, who had turned pale at Kentaro's words, grumbled, but a quick glare from the kitsune lord and he shut his whining.

"Is that better, Jaken?" Rin asked.

"I believe he will be fine, Rin." Kentaro said smoothly, moving to her side.

"I'm fine, Rin." the toad said scathingly. "But it is time you were taken to your quarter, per Lord Sesshomaru's orders."

"Of course." Rin said, rising to her feet. Kentaro waited until Jaken was far enough in front so he wouldn't 'accidentally' trample on him again before offering Rin his arm and exiting the room with the worried girl.

Kaida, of course, smiled at the young kitsune's antics. 'Seems like little Rin has yet another protector to add to her list. Besides Sesshomaru, that is.' she thought. 'As for him, I wonder which one of my dearly beloved sisters get to try and woo him. Too bad I won't be there to see them make utter idiots out of themselves. It'd be a good show. But I'm leaving in two days, so I will get to see them off at least.' Kaida grinned and shook her head as she left the ballroom, content to go to the dojo and work off the tension these meetings always caused.

Meanwhile, in Ryu's study...

"You have made your decision, have you not, Sesshomaru?" Lord Ryu asked, reclining into a chair behind his desk.

"I have, Ryu." The white haired demon said.

"So which will it be? Leiko or Kei?" he asked.

"Neither." The Western taiyoukai said. "Rin wants Kaida."

"Kaida?" The dragon man questioned, sitting up straight in his chair. "Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Why Kaida? I thought you wanted Leiko or Kei to teach her."

"Apparently there are ill feelings between you r two eldest daughters and Rin due to her lack of demon blood." Sesshomaru said calmly. "Rin likes Kaida the most." Ryu stood from his seated position and walked to the window, concern clearly written on his face.

"I'm sorry, but Kaida can't go with you." he sighed. "She belongs here."

"We agreed that one of them would teach Rin what she needed to know, did we not?" Sesshomaru said. "Kaida was chosen."

"You don't understand, Sesshomaru." Ryu said. "Kaida is to be mated and sent to the Northern Lands as Kiyoshi's mate in a few months. There is o point in interrupting young Rin's instructions halfway through because of Kaida leaving."

"Is her impending union the only obstacle in her coming?" Sesshomaru asked. "Or is there another reason?"

"There is one more reason." Ryu conceded. "I know my daughter well, Sesshomaru, and as such I know she will not take kindly to being taken to the Western Lands, away from her routine duties here. Especially considering I never told her that she was one of the options to begin with."

"You didn't tell her?"

"I did not think you would even consider her, given her station and rank as a General. Sesshomaru, you have to understand that Kaida is different than her sisters, in more than one way. She's a spirited woman who has a very big, stubborn streak in her. She's not a meek, soft spoken woman like many court females. I guess what I'm trying to say is that she's not exactly domesticated, Sesshomaru."

"It matters not what she is like, as long as she is capable of teaching Rin." Sesshomaru answered coldly.

"You're asking for trouble, requesting her assistance." Ryu said. "There is no doubt in my mind that she can teach Rin what she needs to know. In fact, Kaida is more knowledgeable than her sisters when etiquette is concerned, but I'm telling you: she's a little spitfire when push comes to shove."

"She is the one Rin wants." he said. Ryu sighed and frowned.

"Kiyoshi is going to be coughing up hairballs when he finds out I sent her with you." Ryu mumbled. "I hope you're ready to put up with him because there is not a doubt in my mind that he is going to go after her."

"Haruto's no talent brat is of no concern to me." Sesshomaru stated. "Correct me if I am wrong, Ryu, but I was under the impression that Kaida was opposed to the union with Haruto's son."

"If you only knew." The dragon lord sighed. "She hates him with a passion unrivaled by anything I've ever seen. Unfortunately, the mothers of both Kaida and Kiyoshi agreed to promise the union when they were still newborns. The only way to break the contract is for one of them to die. And trust me, if I knew it wouldn't start civil war, I'd have killed that little brat myself, or I'd have let Kaida do it for me."

"I see."

"Anyway, I'll spring the news on Kaida in the morning." Ryu said. "When do you plan o leaving for the Western Lands?"

"Tomorrow evening, after the last council meeting." he answered. "I expect Kaida will be ready by then?"

"If she doesn't try to kill me first, then yes, she'll be ready." Ryu said.

"Very well." Sesshomaru answered, rising from his seated position. "I bid you goodnight, Ryu."

"Rest well, Sesshomaru." The dragon demon muttered to the retreating taiyoukai. "Kami knows we're both going to need it when Kaida finds out about this....."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

A/N - Okay, here is the latest chappy for you. This is all I have written for this story so far, and I want to know if you guys think it has potential or not. I don't really want to put a whole lot of time into it if no one likes it (know what I mean?), or if Sesshy seems too out of character.

Anyways, remember to leave a review telling me what you think.

Later,

A.A.