InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Misanthropy ( Chapter 59 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Misanthropy

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagura was beyond furious.

Her little trick with the flowers was a complete failure; indeed, it had only gone to angering the youkai Lord greatly... if she was not very careful, she would lose more than her chance at snagging him for herself.

She could very well lose her life.

At that, the voice spoke up.

You will not lose. It will just take more time. Despite the setback, the miko is still the weak link. Think about it. It is well known that Sesshoumaru despises ningens... but even more well-known is his hatred of hanyou.

Now... consider this. He hates hanyou - but seeks to marry a ningen? How does he plan to keep from siring something he despises so much? By taking a youkai concubine? Never siring a child with the miko - taking away a part of her that is so fundamental to who she is?

Her eyes widened as that realization washed over her. That is true! I bet the miko hasn't thought about that at all! If I could get to her... and introduce those doubts into her mind...

But it would have to be when he was not around - and he's always around.

Closing her eyes in thought, she hummed to herself. The voice once more broke through.

So - orchestrate an attack by others - and snatch a chance to talk to her during the battle. Simply cut her off from the others - then lead her away from her protector.

It was a workable idea, she had to admit, but something else hit her then.

Why do we not just kill her?

The voice snorted in her head.

Because she's the only one that can find the shards, that's why.

Well, that made sense. Although she was still unsure why she was interested in the cursed bauble now, she just shrugged her shoulders and began planning her newest assault on the ningen miko she so despised.

Several days later, her plan came to fruition, and during the uproar of the battle, she lured Kagome away from the daiyoukai's side easily. Once they were just far enough away, she turned and tossed something at Kagome's feet, hovering just out of reach on her feather as the miko automatically looked down to see what it was.

Kagome blinked as she looked at the object at her feet, then frowned and glanced up suspiciously at the slowly becoming composite youkai.

"What's that supposed to mean, Kagura?"

"Foolish ningen - do you not even recognize that flower or its meaning?"

"Well... the flower is aconite - I think - but I don't remember what it means."

Kagura laughed at that. "It means misanthropy - hatred of ningens. You are all set to marry your youkai, and yet... he hates ningens." She leaned forward and said softly, "And he hates hanyou even more. What then, of your children?"

As Kagome stared at her in stunned surprise, Kagura laughed and flew off, noting that Sesshoumaru had dispatched his opponents and was on his way, and not wanting to be there when he arrived.

She looked down as Kagura disappeared, and slowly bent to pick up the flower - and that's how Sesshoumaru found her when he appeared, red-eyed and furious before her.

"What did she say to you, Kagome?" he bit out, voice rough, barely more than a growl.

She shook her head, then looked up at him, almost bemusedly. "She tossed me this flower... and spoke of your hatred for ningens - and hanyou."

His eyes narrowed, and he swiped the flower from her hand in a rage, dissolving it with his poison. Pulling her to him, he held onto her, nuzzling into her hair, and inhaling her scent for a few minutes.

Finally, he pulled back, once more calm, though still angry. Tilting her chin, he forced her to meet his gaze, and said, "That is no longer a valid concern, miko. When it is time, you will carry my young. And I will no more hate them, than I hate you."

With that, he held her hand and escorted her back to the group, not speaking of the incident again, only taking her to task for leaving his side during the battle.

Kagome was a little too flushed and heated at the thought of carrying his children someday to really pay too much attention to his words, simply agreeing with everything he said.

Once again, Kagura's poisonous words had fallen on barren ground, and would not grow into the hatred and contempt she had attempted to foster.

What next, Kagura? Sesshoumaru thought. What foolish thing to tempt my wrath will you try next?

---oOo---

A/N: She's digging herself one hell of a hole as far as Sesshoumaru is concerned - I wouldn't want to be her.

Amber