InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Eternity and Immortality (Part Two) ( Chapter 75 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Eternity and Immortality

(Part Two)

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome sat quietly, waiting for her Lord to return and enlighten her on his reasons for bringing her here.

"Here' being the library of the Western Shiro, and a magnificent library it was, too - she could hardly wait for him to let her loose within its confines.

Just as she thought about getting up and looking around, Sesshoumaru reappeared, moving immediately to join her on the cushions.

Back to the matter at hand - whatever that was.

He began speaking almost hesitantly, and Kagome's attention was immediately caught. "There is... something I wish to give you, Kagome, though it is actually a gift for both of us, when all is said and done."

With that, he took something from the sleeve of his haori, and Kagome tilted her head curiously when she caught sight of it.

"This is xeranthemum, miko, and it stands for the gift I would give us both - eternity... and immortality." He held it out, then, to her, and she reached for it, hesitantly, giving him a look of uncertainty.

"I... I'm not sure I understand, Sesshoumaru. What...?"

He sighed, and sat back, keeping a solemn gaze trained on her. "That is the one thing in all of this, that I had struggled with when I began to desire you as a mate. The disparity in our life spans..." he trailed off, and Kagome nodded sadly.

"I know... sometimes I wish, for your sake, that we had never met," at his growl, she reached over and clasped his hand, "because I dread dying... and leaving you alone once I'm gone."

"There is no longer any need for such thoughts, my miko. That is what the flower is a symbol of. I have found a way to share my life with you - so that neither of us must deal with such a separation." He looked away, then.

"But... it is up to you whether you are willing to take on a lifespan that is much greater than any human has ever had. This one will not force you into such a thing," he said.

Kagome's eyes were wide as she stared at him. Never in all her years had something like that occurred to her - she had been fully accepting of the fact that she would not live long with him - although it had pained her unbearably. And now, to have such a possibility presented to her...

She didn't hesitate.

"If you're willing to give such a thing, then I'm willing to take it, Sesshoumaru. I never want you to be alone again." She looked down at the flower in her hand, and asked, "When would we do... whatever it is that's necessary for this?"

With a sense of relief flowing through him that he would never speak of aloud, he said, "At first, I had planned to do so after the wedding - but I find myself now inclined to do it as soon as you are willing."

"You... you mean, you'd be willing to do this, now, before we're even married?" she asked, wide-eyed with wonder.

"Were you planning to back out of your promise to me, miko?" he asked, brow cocked questioningly.

She shook her head fiercely at that. "No! No way... I'd never do that to you!"

"Then I see no reason to wait... I would feel more at ease if it were done now, but I will also leave this choice to you."

She sat back and thought about it for a few moments. "What do I have to do?"

He flipped a strand of hair over his shoulder casually, shrugging lightly. "You would do nothing but sleep for the duration of the spell - I would stay awake to perform it."
After a few moments consideration, she nodded her head firmly, and said, "Then let's do it now. If that would make you feel more comfortable, then that's what we'll do."

Something sparked in his gaze, then, and he stood, pulling her gently after him. In but a matter of moments, he had her out of the library, and within a few more moments, he came to a halt before another set of doors, which he slid open.

Once she stepped into the room, he entered, and slid the doors shut, and came to stand directly behind her as she gazed in admiration around the room.

He leaned down and nuzzled her. "These are our rooms, Kagome. Are you pleased, koi?"

She beamed once again at the endearment - they were rare from him, and all the more cherished for that fact. "Yes... they're beautiful!"

Serene in muted earth tones, with touches of vibrant color in scattered pillows, the room was calming, and peace settled into Kagome's soul as she stepped forward towards the center of the room.

She blushed heavily, however, when she caught sight of the futon - it was an off-the-floor style that wasn't usual in this era, and when he noted her blush and realized what she was looking at, he quirked an amused brow at her.

"I had it specially built - with my height, the normal positioning of futons was rather uncomfortable." He took her hand and pulled her to the bedding. "You should lay down - once you are asleep, I can begin the spell, my miko."

She nodded, but flushed even deeper at the thought that soon... in that very bed...

Okay, Kagome, stop thinking about that! she chastised herself, and lying down, she scooted around until she was comfortable, and then let herself drift off.

It didn't take long for her to fall asleep, and when she did...

Magic happened.

When she woke some time later, she immediately noticed that she felt a bit different. She felt... more awake than she could ever remember being. And the energy that was flowing through her... it was amazing!

"Is this... how it feels to be immortal?" she whispered. "To feel so alive..."

"Yes."

Sesshoumaru sat up next to her, in his own way, as awed as her. He would have to have a little talk with Bokuseno... the old tree had led him to believe that he would lose life of his own - and acted as though it would be a great amount. And yet...

He hadn't lost anything - he was still immortal.

Now... I do not have to give her up after a few centuries - or even millenia. She will be mine...

Eternally.

He reached out and took the flower he'd given her earlier from the small table near the bed, staring at it contemplatively for a moment...

And then handed it to her, before leaning over her and pressing a deep kiss to her sweet, immortal lips.

Mine.

---oOo---

A/N: Well... that was a long chapter. That's why I split it into two parts. But now at least, that part is out of the way, and they can start planning a WEDDING! And figuring out what to do with the shikon... and finally see what's going to happen with Inuyasha and Kanna! Wow... still a bit of story left to go here...

Amber