InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Sympathy ( Chapter 83 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sympathy

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

In the midst of the calm before the storm, Kagome noticed Inuyasha's preoccupation, and his sadness - and she knew what it stemmed from.

Despite the fact that she had been seeing Sesshoumaru for months now, and even betrothed to him for some time already, it was just now kicking in for the hanyou she'd loved for so long, and even though he had a new interest in Kanna, she knew that he was trying to move past the fact that she herself was soon to be completely out of his reach - eternally.

It was hard, even she sometimes looked back at him a bit wistfully, though she wouldn't change where she was for anything in the world, there would always be a soft spot in her heart for her first love.

And with Kanna... well, even though everyone knew that feelings had definitely developed between the two of them, they themselves hadn't really spoken of anything to each other.

Kagome was pretty sure that Inuyasha needed to see her married first, before he asked Kanna to marry him... he needed the past completely shut away. Especially as he seemed to have a particular susceptibility to the past - he never could seem to get away from it until it was completely out of reach.

Earlier that morning, she had watched him take off into the trees, heading for the goshinboku, she was sure, and had easily caught Kanna's pained expression as he did so. With a few minutes thought, she had cornered Sango, asking her to keep an eye on the children while she ran home for a few - Sesshoumaru had gone to the shiro that morning to oversee some preparations for the after-wedding celebrations, so wasn't here to do so himself.

Once she'd agreed, Kagome had taken off through the well, and as soon as she'd touched down on the other side, had headed right for her mother's hothouse.

Okay... armeria. I know it's hear somewhere, 'cause it's what she always gives to people when they've suffered a loss.

After a little searching around, she spotted them - sitting just across from the wild geraniums that she'd given Rin the other day when she'd asked her to be her flower girl.

She smiled at the warm memory, and then took her mother's trimmers, and cut herself several armeria to give to Kanna.

Once she had what she wanted, she immediately went back through the well, and searching out Kanna's aura, headed straight for her.

As she approached the little rise she was sitting on overlooking the village, Kagome eyed her newest friend... she'd grown up beautifully.

Everything about her was still light in hue, but it was like looking at the first blush of color after winter's pale hand began to lift - crystalline icy blue eyes, pale apricot skin, with a hint of color in her cheeks, a soft blush of rose on her lips, and shining pale blonde hair... she was absolutely gorgeous, and in this land of dark-eyed, dark-haired people, she stood out like a beacon.

Kagome smiled as she thought about it, fiercely glad that the pale young girl that they'd taken in had grown into such a beauty - and her personality had grown to match.

No longer empty and emotionless, she was shy and quiet, but had quite the temper when roused, she was gentle, and happy with the simple things - things she'd been denied under Naraku's thumb.

She was an excellent foil for Inuyasha's brash and loud personality.

Now... to just nudge the two of them together...

Her smile widened. Maybe, if things go right, we'll be planning another wedding before long...

She walked forward and sat down next to her friend, carefully folding her legs under her, and smiling over the girl's quiet questioning look. Sticking out her hand, she held out the flowers, and waited for Kanna to take them.

"What... what are these for?" she asked as she hesitantly reached out and took them.

"These are for you to take and give to Inuyasha. And then you two can have a long-overdue talk... ne?"

Kanna flushed as her eyes sprang up to meet Kagome's in startlement. "You mean... you know?"

Kagome laughed. "Oh, Kanna, everyone knows. You two are adorable!"

"Y-you don't... mind?"

She frowned at that. "Of course not! Why would I? I love Inuyasha, and that means that I want him to be happy. And you, too - I think of everyone here, you two deserve it just about more than anyone else... why would I begrudge that?"

"I... just thought, you know, because, you two, were..." she trailed off, her cheeks now a deep rose as she looked down in embarrassment.

"No... Inuyasha... I will always love him," she sighed, "but it's as a best friend, Kanna, not as a lover. That's Sesshoumaru for me - how I see him. Inuyasha's all yours, believe me. I know him better than anyone else, and you've got him, girl. So go take those flowers to him - they mean sympathy. They show that you understand what he's feeling... they open the door - and then you can talk to each other."

Kanna stared at the flowers for a moment, then at Kagome, smiled shyly at her, and stood up.

"Thank you, Kagome."

Kagome winked at her, and shooed her off. "Go on... don't make him wait any longer!"

She watched as the young woman hurried off, and sighed.

Be happy, my friends. That's all I want...

For all those I care for.

---oOo---

A/N: It was time to focus in on Kanna and Inuyasha for a little. Don't worry, there's gonne be more of them once we get the wedding out of the way...

Props go out to xXthenextbookwormXx for catching the little oversight I made in the availability chapter - I forgot to say which flower stood for availability, so I mentioned it in this chapter. She's the only one that caught it - I myself didn't even realize until she pointed it out. Great catch!

Amber